Promises and Deals | The Mand...

By multi_fandom2015

Promises are made to be broken. Deals are made to be kept. [The Mandalorian Season 1-2] I do not own the Mand... More

.000
.001
.002
.003
.004
.005
.006
.007
.008
.009
.010
.011
.012
.013
.014
.015
.016
.017
.018
.019
.020
.021
.022
.023
.024
.025
.026
.027
.028
.029
.030
.031
.032
.033
.034
.035
.036
Truth and Lies
Author's Note: Incoming Updates
.100
.101
.103
.104
.105
.106
.107
.108
.109
.110
.111
.112
.113
.114
.115
.116
.117
.118
.119
.120
.121
.122
.123
.124
.125
.126
.127
.128
.129
.130
.131

.102

157 6 0
By multi_fandom2015

 "I really hate this place," Alora mutters as she and the Mandalorian land their ships at Jabba's old palace. Her skin crawls as her hand subconsciously rubs her side. She remembers the cattle prods Jabba's goons used and the terrible games played in these walls.

"You've been here too?"

"Started with carbonite, ended near a Sarlacc pit," Alora quips, tugging her cloak closer. "Maybe your new pal Boba Fett can fill you in."

A Gamorrean with a battle axe waits for them by the entrance. Alora stays a step behind Mando as he says, "We're here at the request of Fennec Shand and Boba Fett."

The Gamorrean nods and leads them in. "Well, that went easier than last time," Alora sighs as she glances around the palace. It has changed in the past few years, thankfully. She looks at the locked trap door with a fondness she can't place—as if watching Luke fighting for his life was a good memory.

When they walk into the war room, everyone glances their way. Fennec and Fett stand with others obviously on his payroll around a map of the closest city. A Twi'lek man stands in chains next to a guard as Alora surveys the room quickly, noting the exits she could use if needed. Fett sends them both a nod as they settle at the edges of the room.

"Now that we're all here, let's begin," Fett says.

Fennec nods and clasps her hands behind her back. "The Pike Syndicate has been gathering soldiers the last few weeks. Mayor Mok Shaiz is on their payroll and has flown off world, which leads us to believe the storm is about to break."

The prisoner in chains steps forward, saying, "It was a scheduled vacation, actually."

With a roll of her eyes, Alora twists her wrist, The prisoner fiddles with his chains, wincing in pain as he is pulled back to the wall.

"Here's a map of where they are gathering, based on whispers," Fennec explains as she points to the hologram. "The three crime families of Mos Espa seem willing to lay low and let the Pykes move on our territory. This is the Mandalorian, Din Djarin, and his companion who goes by Tiri. Thanks to them and Krrsantan, we now have enough experienced muscle to act as enforcers. The Mods have done a thorough job of surveying the streets, but we lack the numbers to cover territory if an all-out war comes. We need foot soldiers."

"I might be able to help with that," the Mandalorian says.

Alora narrows her eyes as she looks at him.

"Get on it, and quickly," Fennec replies.

Alora follows him out and only once they are out of earshot does she ask, "And how might you be able to help with foot soldiers?"

"Cobb Vanth."

"Tell me you're joking." He just keeps walking. "Mando. That's not going to work."

"I will call in a favor."

"No, hey! Stop." She rushes up to him and grabs his arm. He turns to look at her as she says, "Don't bring them into this. They wanted peace for themselves, and they got it. They don't want to fight a war for someone they don't know."

"They know us."

"You know damn well what I mean. Let those people live their war-free lives. The only way you're going to get them as soldiers is if the syndicate attacks them directly. It's an insular community. Why would they help Fett?"

Mando tilts his helmet. "I've got this. I'll be right back."

"I'm not worried about you." Once upon a time, that might have actually been true. "I'm worried about them. They are not prepared to fight here. Just like on Sorgan."

He rips his arm away and continues walking. "I've got it, Tiri. Deal with things here until I return."

"Such leadership. I wonder how much is your own voice and thoughts as opposed to your fellow Mandalorians." She does not intend to sound so vicious. Instead of waiting for his reaction, she just turns and returns to the meeting. Better focus on the problem ahead instead of the one leaving in his starship.

✦✧✦✧✦

"We are at war," Boba Fett says as he, Fennec, and Alora survey the damage to the local club under his influence. Just hours ago, the building was destroyed, killing everyone inside as a clear message to the new Daimyo. Alora walks over the ashes, noting the imprint of her boots as she looks around the building. Two others from Fett's cohort came with them, both with too many mechanical modifications to count.

"It was inevitable," Fennec sighs as she takes a look around.

"Even if we win, there might not be anything left of this city."

Alora takes a deep breath, turning her back to the others as she lets her eyes fall closed. She lowers herself to the ground, squatting over the rubble, as she reaches a hand out to the broken building. Her hood covers her face well enough as the faintest sounds of screams echo in her mind until familiar, heavy footsteps ring through the air.

Twisting around, Alora watches the Mandalorian walk into the building, the faint light from outside shining on his armor. "That was quick," she says as she stands, clapping her hands together to get rid of the dirt.

"Were you able to hire any foot soldiers?" Fennec asks.

"I think so." Mando nods his head. "Cobb Vanth is raising a garrison for us."

"What price did you negotiate?"

"Free."

Fett raises a brow. "Free?"

"He's been holding off the spice trade single-handedly. I told him we could shut it down."

Alora clenches her jaw and shakes her head. "That's not free. That was the majority of Jabba's business, and it could take years to shut it down on this planet."

"That's what the town wants." His helmet does not move to her, only stays watching Fett.

Fett nods. "I agree to their terms."

Fennec takes a step forward, saying, "There's a lot of credits to be made from that orange powder."

With a sigh, Alora glances around. "Look, Fennec, yes, it's a lucrative business, but it'll be better for you in the long run. You just have to get there. I'm not one for broken promises, and it could work. But you have to mean it. Spice kills. Getting rid of it could turn Mos Espa into a prosperous city under your protection."

Fett looks back at her with a small smile before he looks at Mando. "Let Marshal Vanth and the people of Mos Pelgo—"

"Freetown is its name now," Mando says.

"Let the people of Freetown know they have my word."

"You can tell Cobb Vanth himself when he arrives here with the reinforcements."

"You are confident he will come?" Fett asks.

"I am."

"And you?"

Alora meets Fett's questioning gaze. "Vanth is a man of his word. Honorable. So is the Mandalorian." It's a non-answer, and he knows it. "If he does not come, we are fucked. So, sure, they'll be here."

"Our skill is no match for the Syndicate numbers," Fett lets out a heavy sigh. "We must buy time until they arrive. We'll lockdown at the palace."

Alora scoffs as one of the Mods, as they call themselves, says, "That's a bad idea."

"Is that so?"

"It is."

"And where do you propose we wait for reinforcements?"

"Here."

"Here?" Fett almost scoffs. "In these ruins? Nonsense, the palace offers greater protection."

"If you want to abandon Mos Espa and hide in your fortress, go ahead," the other Mod says. "We're staying. The people who live here need our protection."

Silence stretches among them as Fett once again looks to Alora. "It's shit strategically," she says with a shrug. "But you and I both know what kind of power loyalty has. And symbolism. It's up to you. We're equally fucked either way from a purely strategic view."

"We'll stay." There's a glint of humor in his eye as Fett surveys everyone. "You make a good point, Tiri."

She rolls her eyes. "Everyone get ready for a fight. They'll be coming and soon."

✦✧✦✧✦

"As we wait for the reinforcements to arrive with Cobb Vanth from Freetown, our forces are quietly patrolling the streets of the old city." Fennec paces as she explains their current situation to the Mandalorian and Fett. Alora sits atop the tallest piece of rubble with a clear view out the tallest hole in the building, which already had a relatively short ceiling. Her legs dangle off the concrete as she tries to play out every scenario. "The Pike Syndicate has not yet arrived in numbers, but the minute they do, we will see them before they see us. The truce you negotiated with the other families of Mos Espa will ensure that they will remain neutral and allow us to gain the upper hand by surprising the arriving soldiers."

"Unless they get a better offer," Alora says. "It's difficult to navigate crime families. You have to have the best offer on the table."

"We all signed a treaty," Fett replies.

"Not everyone is a man of their word." Everyone stares at her until she rolls her eyes. "Fine. Go over how we have every inch of the city covered."

Fennec arches a brow but does not comment. "The Gamorrean guards are posted in the Klatoonian territory at the starport and will alert us if any of the Pike Syndicate forces arrive. Krrsantan is in Trandosian territory, keeping tabs on the streets of the municipality in front of City Hall. Drash and Skad are with the other Mods keeping an eye on the Worker's District and the Aqualish Quarter. As you can see, all our flanks are covered. Nobody is sneaking up on us. When the people of Freetown arrive, we will have the forces required to pivot our strength to whatever region the Pykes choose to attack from."

"For now?" Fett asks.

"We wait."

"Fennec," Alora says as she straightens her back. "You said no one could sneak up on us? What about him?" She points out the front door to the shadow standing in the street just as a droid walks in.

Mando's gun is already trained on the droid as it says, "Lord Fett? There is someone here to see you."

Fett heaves out a heavy sigh as he secures his helmet on his head, Fennec not far behind. Before any of them can leave through the front door, Alora tosses them a small communicator.

"I'll find higher ground," she says, though she doubts any of them listen. She climbs up to the second floor through the large hole in the ceiling and settles herself next to a broken window. It only takes her one look out to see the visitor before she curses and takes a step away from the light.

"Familiar face?" Mando asks through the communicator.

"Be careful," she says. "He's known to have a quick hand."

Fett walks just far enough out for Alora to keep an eye on him from her position. "I thought I smelled something," he says loud enough for her to hear without the communicator, with his arms folded over his rifle. "If you're looking for a job, you're late."

The bounty hunter says, "I've already got a job. I'm here to negotiate on behalf of the Pike Syndicate."

Alora once again curses under her breath as she surveys their surroundings. Glints of metal flicker in the sun, making it easy to spot the back shooters. "He's not alone," Alora says.

"I don't negotiate with gutless murderers," Fett continues, an edge in his voice.

Good to know even Boba Fett has standards, and Cad Bane remains the lowest of the low.

"If that's not the Quacta calling the Stifling slimy," Cad Bane sneers, though every word sounds venomous.

"Clear out. Tell your bosses we know they're outnumbered."

"I wouldn't be counting on the people of Freetown to be coming anytime soon," Cad Bane replies, making Alora tense and slide further behind the wall. "I paid Marshal Vanth a visit. You should've never left him without his armor." Fennec and Mando must have made themselves known because Alora now clearly sees the shooters emerge from their hiding spots. "Before you get any ideas, I've got back shooters too."

"Listen to me, Fett," Alora whispers. "Now, more than ever, you keep a clear head. Bane visiting Freetown is in our favor, trust me."

"How do you see that?" Fennec asks.

"It is more than a town, it's a community. I told Mando before he went, the town won't involve itself unless it's dragged in. Cad Bane just involved them."

"Let the spice move through Mos Espa," Cad Bane says loudly. "And all this can be avoided."

She watches Boba Fett's helmet move just enough. "No," he replies.

"What do you propose then?"

"I will only negotiate with the head of the Pike Syndicate."

"You mean the one that massacred your Tusken family and blamed it on a speed bike gang? You know it's true."

Alora watches Fett's hands curl around his rifle. "Fennec, stop him now," she says. "We won't win. Fett, don't do it."

"Let's do this," Cad Bane smirks, exposing the blasters at his side. "Right here, right now."

Fennec emerges, her own rifle at the ready. "Not now. You pick when."

"He killed Vanth. The reinforcements aren't coming," Fett replies.

"We fight on our terms, not theirs."

"I can take him."

"You're emotional."

"I can take him."

"We need to adjust. You'll have your moment."

Fett hesitates before saying, "Tell your client negotiations are terminated."

"You're going soft in your old age." Cad Bane sneers.

"We all do."

Cad Bane takes his time walking away, taking his shooters with him. Alora elects to stay hidden in the rafters just in case they still have eyes on them.

Their Twi'lek prisoner rushes out of the building, saying, "That was an impressive display of restraint. Exemplary stratagem. If I may be so bold as to offer additional counsel—"

"I wonder how much he would pay for the Twi'lek," Fett says, quickly shutting him up.

"I have a bad feeling about all of this," Alora says. "Something isn't adding up."

"Come in, boss. Come in. Something feels strange over here." Drash's voice comes through on the long-distance communicator.

"Have the Pykes arrived?" Fett asks.

"Not yet, but something feels off. The locals are attacking!"

"I thought we had a treaty," Mando says.

"Looks like someone found a better offer," Alora sighs. "It's all a trap." Turning away from the window, Alora purses her lips. "Fett, think strategically. Who do you need me to go help?"

"We need to gather our people," Fett says.

"No, there's no way to overcome their advantage," Fennec says as Alora drops down into the main part of the building to meet them. "We need to take out command and control."

Fett turns to the Twi'lek. "Does the Pike Syndicate still operate out of Mos Eisley?"

"Oh, it's difficult to say for certain that—" Fennec readies her gun. "Mos Eisley? Yes, now that I think of it, indeed they do. More specifically, the Desert Survey Office."

"Can you do that?" Fett asks Fennec. "Can you get there in time?"

Fennec is already moving. "Worth a shot."

"Fennec, you get the Mods, and I'll help Krrstantan." Alora pats the weapons on her back. She never gave back the beskar swords she had taken from Mando's ship so long ago when she rescued him from the prison ship. "You two think you can hold down the fortress?"

Fett nods, and she does not wait for Mando before she climbs back up and begins running across the rooftops of Mos Espa. 

✦✧✦✧✦

Longer chapter but still want to get it out there. 

Hope you enjoyed!

-L

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49K 1.7K 38
haven't you taken enough from me? [ the mandalorian season 2 ] din djarin x daughter!oc cover by @potter_spellbook © ASTRXIDS , 2021-2023
121K 2.9K 45
[S1 COMPLETE] [S2 COMPLETE] [S3 IN PROGRESS] -PLEASE READ FULL DESCRIPTION- "I need your help. With the kid. With everything." 𝘛𝘸𝘰 𝘔𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘢𝘭𝘰�...
13.9K 312 32
𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘴 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘤𝘳𝘶𝘮𝘣𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘥𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘸𝘦 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦, 𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘺 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘶𝘥𝘴 𝘳𝘰𝘭𝘭 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩...
108K 2.3K 31
"i didn't ask for a new padawan. this has gotta be some mistake" "well, master yoda doesn't usually make mistakes so i'm pretty sure it's true." in...