Robbing the Alpha

By Wendizzy

As Brooke prepares to gain Luna status by marrying her pack's Alpha, she learns she's fated to Huck, leader o... More

Season List for Robbing the Alpha
Ch. 1: Stolen Hearts
Ch. 2: The Valley
Ch. 3: Alpha Titan
Ch. 4: Haunting
Ch. 5: The Garden
Ch. 6: One Innocent Kiss
Ch. 7: The Tea
Ch. 8: Fatefully Yours
Ch. 9: The Bodyguard
Ch. 10: Father, Son, Ghost
Ch. 11: The Tease
Ch. 12: The Hustler
Ch. 13: Protection
Ch. 14: Blood of the First
Ch. 15: Make Him Love You
Ch. 17: Silent Wolves
Ch. 18: Unsafe
Ch. 19: Alpha of the Dead
Ch. 20: Discovered
Ch. 21: Sweet Dreams, Mother
Ch. 22: Down the Mountain
Ch. 23: A Mountain of Secrets
Ch. 24: Liberation
Ch. 25: Inherent Duty
Ch. 26: Heir to the Throne
Ch. 27: Father's Secrets
Ch. 28: Alpha Huck

Ch. 16: Honesty and Lies

1.3K 64 33
By Wendizzy

BROOKE

Warm lips pressed against mine. The wrong shape. The wrong size. The wrong man. Everything happened too fast, leaving me no time to think—to pretend. On instinct, I shoved him as hard as I could away from me.

Titan pulled back, his brow creasing. "Forgive me. I thought..." His lips pursed. "Forgive me." He turned to retrieve his phone.

Huck handed it over with the stoicism of a statue. Mother would envy his composure, but he couldn't fool me. Darkness permeated the air around him, and his eyes spoke of murder. He was a ghost, but he'd never been terrifying until that moment. Despite knowing he was on my side, I took a step backward.

"We look good together, don't we?" Titan said, jarring my attention back to him.

I looked down at his screen, glimpsing myself through Huck's eyes. My hands were on Titan's chest, our heads at such an angle no one would ever know what was coming. If it were an image of him with the blonde, my wolf would...

My brow furrowed. Now that I thought about it, my wolf was unnaturally quiet. It was as if she'd buried herself.

"I'm sorry I made assumptions."

I chewed the inside of my cheek and glanced up at him. "You surprised me."

Titan studied me for a moment, then he nodded slowly. "Allow me to make it up to you." He led the way inside the diner, directing the two sentinels to stand guard outside the front door.

A short hostess with strawberry blonde hair smiled when we entered. "Three?" she asked, counting the ghost behind me. He was as silent as he'd ever been, but his presence felt like a fire at risk of spreading. How long would we have to live like this? Would there ever come a day when we wouldn't need to pretend?

"Two," Titan said. "Our bodyguard won't be eating."

Her eyes skimmed over Huck. "Of course. Please, follow me." She weaved her way through the crowded dining room, past potted plants, and patrons, seating us across from each other at a small table in the back.

Huck moved to stand against the far wall, putting him directly within my line of sight and conveniently behind Titan. Dark wood paired with white ceramic reminded me of us—opposites that somehow fit together perfectly. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't keep my focus away from him. Not after what had just happened. I wanted to kiss him, to have him kiss me, to have his lips wipe away all traces of anyone else, and to let him know that mine belonged to him. Only him.

"You like him," Titan said.

My lungs deflated, and my gaze shot to his. "Who?"

"Your bodyguard."

Before I could think of a response, the server arrived, and Titan turned his attention toward ordering for both of us, leaving me to sweat.

I shifted in my seat, fighting to keep my face expressionless. My hands shook beneath the table. I'd known this would happen. I'd been reckless too many times, it would be a wonder if he hadn't figured it out. But even now, I kept silent, hoping for a miracle.

When the server left, Titan spread his napkin across his lap. "What was I saying?"

Was this some kind of game? I remained silent. No way was I going to remind him—if he even needed me to.

"Oh, right! The bodyguard," he said. "I'll admit, I was surprised you chose him over the other. He's quite small in comparison."

There was nothing small about him, and I'd barely gotten a peek. "I can see why they call him Ghost," I said. "He's so quiet, I often forget he's there."

Titan's phone pinged, and he retrieved it from his pocket and focused on the screen. The seconds stretched like hours, tick, tick, ticking like a bomb close to explosion.

"Forgive me," he murmured distractedly as he began typing out a response to whoever it was. He placed the phone face down on the table and made a show of giving me his full attention. "Last minute details about my meeting tomorrow." He steepled his fingers beneath his chin. "I know it can be a nuisance having someone around all the time. Once our bond is sealed, you won't need to."

* * *

The hotel elevator had more buttons than a spaceship, and we traveled so high I nearly thought it was one.

"Are you okay?" Titan asked as the little red numbers slowly climbed.

"I'm just taking it all in. The hotel is beautiful."

But I wasn't okay. The space was too small. I was standing mere inches from the only man I wanted, yet he'd never been farther away. How was Huck so composed? It didn't make any sense. Was it the same reason my wolf was so silent, or had she decided to hide until this horrendous trip had ended? I supposed I shouldn't have complained. If we reacted in any way, it could end us both.

The elevator stopped, and Titan escorted me down the hall to my room. "I'm right next door," he said. "Let's take a couple of hours to get cleaned up and into something more comfortable. I'll find a few movies to choose from and order room service. Anything you'd prefer?"

"Surprise me."

He lifted a brow.

"About the movie," I reiterated. "And the food."

He grinned and took my hand, kissing my knuckles. "I promise to be on my absolute best behavior."

Considering what I knew about him, that didn't reassure me.

Titan disappeared inside his room, and I stepped into mine. But before my door could close, Huck stuck his foot in the way.

I looked at him, and all his carefully maintained composure had dissolved into a mask of irritation.

"You know it doesn't mean anything," I whispered.

His teeth bared. "It doesn't matter what I know. It's about what he knows, and you worrying about how I feel doesn't do me any favors. You need to try harder."

I scoffed. He couldn't be serious! He had no idea how hard I'd been working to secure our interests. Did he think this was easy on me? He wasn't the only one being pulled by the moon. Well, if he wanted more effort, I would give it to him. My eyes narrowed, and I smiled sweetly. "Okay, Huck. I will try harder."

I pressed him back, shut the door, then threw a silent fit behind it. How dare he! I stormed over to my suitcase, dumping its contents onto the bed. The nightgown landed atop the pile like a sign from the goddess herself. I picked it up by the straps, holding the skimpy material out in front of me. Given his reaction the last time I'd worn it, he should approve. What better thing to wear for a man I was meant to seduce?

I showered, moisturized, styled my hair into a tight, high ponytail, and kept my makeup simple. When I was finished, I studied myself in the mirror, feeling as if I'd just donned an arsenal. He wanted effort, and I'd delivered.

When I opened the door to leave, Huck caught my wrist.

"Excuse me," I said.

His jaw twitched. "Brooke—"

Titan's door began to open, making Huck promptly let me go. I hurried forward, stepping into the neighboring doorway just as Titan was stepping out.

He froze, his eyes doing a slow scan from my head to my toes and back up again. "Well, hello."

"Hi," I said, infusing just the right amount of velvet into my voice. I reached forward, touching his arm. "Are you leaving?"

"I was just coming to check on you. Please—" He stepped back, motioning me inside. "—Come in."

I brushed against him as I passed, and Titan closed the door behind me. His room was identical to mine: king-size bed, leather sofa, and modern decor. A cart full of snacks was placed in the corner of the room, and a new comedy film I'd heard about waited to be played on the flat screen.

"I figured we could use a laugh," Titan said. "Why don't you get comfortable on the sofa while I pour us some wine?"

I did as instructed, then watched as Titan uncorked a red and filled two large glasses to the brim. "You must really like that necklace Aster gave you. It looks like it would be uncomfortable."

"Not at all," I lied. If I could take it off, I would have burned it.

He smiled as he carried the drinks over and handed one to me.

I breathed it in, then took a small sip, absorbing the flavor of dark fruit, sweet spice, and earth.

"Do you like it?" Titan asked. "I have others."

"It's delicious," I said.

Titan smiled and took the spot next to me. "It's a 2019 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti. Not the most expensive, but one of my favorites."

"I can see why." I took another drink. "You have amazing taste."

He chewed his lip as his gaze skimmed down to my thighs. "It would appear so." He shifted to face me more fully, bending one knee up onto the cushion. Casual. "Tell me, Luna. Is this some sort of test?"

I blinked. "A test?"

Titan took a slow drink, his eyes dancing over the rim of his glass. He lowered it to his lap. "Just this morning, you scolded me for taking liberties. Now, here you are..." He motioned to me with his chin. "It feels like a trap."

"I did not scold," I said. "And I believe I am here because you invited me to watch a movie."

His lips stretched into a wide grin, then without another word, he picked up the remote on the table behind him and pressed play.

I focused on the film, nursing my wine, trying to pretend I wasn't totally distracted by the man in the hallway. Was he losing his mind? If it were me, I would have been. Then again, I would never scold him for not allowing another woman to kiss him. That was what annoyed me the most about his demands. I would have pushed Titan away regardless. No man, not even the alpha, was going to touch me unless I wanted him to.

The movie paused, and I looked over to find Titan studying me. "You hate it," he said.

"What makes you say that?"

"If you glare at the television any harder, it's going to melt."

"I wasn't glaring," I lied, inwardly cursing myself for my slip. Perhaps Huck was right. If I couldn't get it together, I was going to destroy us both.

Titan's lips thinned. "I meant what I said in the car, Brooke," he said, his tone stern. "I want us to be open with one another. We are soon to be mated, connected in all ways. There's nothing you can say or do that will break that bond, and I don't want you to ever be afraid to tell me how you truly feel."

Once upon a time, the words would have been a blessing. I'd been so worried about coming to the mountain, concerned I wouldn't live up to the expectations set upon me. Little did I know the mountain wanted me dead. "I'll admit I am a bit wary. First, I am attacked on the drive here. Then a snake finds its way into my bed."

Titan was quiet for so long, I thought he'd turned to stone. "You think I had something to do with that?"

I swallowed. What was I doing? Why had I said that? I was meant to seduce, not confront. "I—"

Titan lifted a hand. "No, no. Please. I'm grateful for your honesty." He took a long drink, then he sat back, tracing his finger around the rim, seeming deep in thought. "We both know how society works. If our roles were reversed, I would suspect me too."

"So you deny it?"

"I do." He met my gaze, and the amount of honesty I found there nearly stole my breath. "I have no desire to harm you, Brooke. The mere suggestion of it makes me sick."

Words danced on the tip of my tongue. Did the valley make him sick? Did he sleep well knowing children were living in those conditions? His own pack members. The people he was meant to protect.

"My father was a strong alpha," he murmured. "But he was also very cold." He stared into his wine as if it were a crystal ball capable of revealing the past.

I watched him closely, unsure how honest I could actually be. "He always scared me," I admitted.

"My mother was afraid of him, too." He looked up. "She hid it well, but I knew." He set the glass down on the table and leaned forward, taking my left hand in both of his. "I don't want it to ever be like that between us, Brooke. I don't ever want to be how he was."

But he was...wasn't he?

What I knew about him didn't match what my instinct was telling me now. Something raw took over his voice, and despite everything, I believed him. At that moment, he didn't seem like a person who wanted me gone. He seemed genuinely devoted to our pairing.

"You were close to your mother?" I asked.

Titan nodded. "She was the most amazing person I have ever known. The two of you would have been close if she were still here."

My mind raced. If he was lying, he was the most impressive manipulator I'd ever met. "Tell me about her."

His lips curved softly. "She loved the garden. When I was a child, she would take me there every day." He continued, regaling stories too detailed to be fiction.

I relaxed further, feeling a tinge of guilt as the topic shifted to his hopes for our future. I'd stepped into the room convinced he was a killer, and by the time I left, I didn't know what to believe.

Titan walked me out. "I had fun tonight."

"So did I," I said, my tone distracted.

The hallway was empty.

"What is it?" Titan asked.

"My bodyguard is missing."

"Didn't I tell you? The guards have their own rooms. The hotel is secure, and all of our rooms are connected. Better to have them rested, wouldn't you agree?"

"Of course," I said. Why hadn't Huck told me? "It was just surprising."

"You're safe, Brooke." His tone was soft yet adamant. "I promise you."

"I know that now." I smiled. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

He watched me walk to my room, making it feel as if one of my legs was shorter than the other. I gave him a wave before I stepped inside and closed the door. The room was pitch black, but I immediately knew I wasn't alone. I fumbled for the light switch, but no sooner had I found it, Huck's hand covered mine, stopping me from turning it on.

He stood behind me. A dark energy. A malevolent spirit.

I drew in a shaky breath. "We need to talk," I whispered.

He didn't speak, didn't move.

"I don't think Titan is the one trying to kill me."

Silence.

"I don't know what I'm missing, but he isn't who we thought—"

His hand slid roughly over my breast, stealing my breath, and all thoughts of Titan flew away like birds after an explosion. "Who am I?" he growled.

My mouth hung open, panting breaths that never made it past my throat.

He pinched my nipple, drawing a small cry from my lungs. He hummed. "Answer me."

"Huck..."

"Who gets to touch you here?" He kneaded my flesh, then he reached down and under my gown, running his fingers over my sex. "And here?" The words were harsh.

"You," I rasped.

He spun me around and captured my mouth in a punishing kiss that curled my toes and ignited the rest of me. "Don't ever do that again."

"You told me to."

"I didn't tell you to enjoy it."

"You didn't say not to either."

With a growl, he hoisted my legs around his waist and pinned me to the wall. His hips rocked, creating a friction too godly to be real. "As much as that?" he rumbled.

I shook my head, riding a wave of sensation. If this was meant to deter me, it wasn't working. I'd wear this gown every night if it meant he'd react like this.

His spine rolled, grinding tighter, insistent, demanding. "Say it."

"No, Huck," I breathed. "Nothing in the world is as good as this."

"That's where you're wrong." His fingers in my hair. Raspy breaths across my lips. He groaned. "Now's the time, Brooke."

"For what?"

"For you to tell me to stop, because once I'm inside you, I'm not leaving."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.2K 2.1K 41
When downtrodden outcast Celeste unknowingly initiates a fated mate search, she's whisked away into the secret werewolf world of a powerful Alpha, Bl...
1.1M 37.9K 67
"So here I lay here in the cold, mentally shattered, physically broken, bleeding out and waiting for the sweet silence and darkness of death to come...
486K 10.9K 48
Sheltered shifter Celeste runs away after disappointing her parents with another failure to secure a worthy mate bond, but she accidentally stumbles...
212K 7.4K 33
One night changes Sierra's life forever when she loses everything except her toddler niece. In charge of the last six members of her pack, it is up...