I Found You

By Courtney98xo

This story is based on the BBC show Peaky Blinders, we start off in the year 1921 and so forth, up until 1934... More

Actors and Actresses
Part 1. The First Time Meeting You.
Part 2. Moving, Moving Where?.
Part 3. We Meet Again.
Part 4. An Unexpected Invitation.
Part 5. A Problem Shared, Is A Problem Halfed.
Part 7. Killing Someone.
Part 8. The Races.
Part 9. The Lee Family.
Part 10. Our First Kiss.
Part 11. First Job Of The Company.
Part 12. Questions Spinning and My Head Killing.
Part 13. I Found You And You Found Me.

Part 6. Billy Kimber.

44 0 0
By Courtney98xo

The next day came, just as quick as I had closed my eyes the night before. The boys went to work and I myself was at work. Today was a busy day, it was really packed today for some reason, nothing to my knowledge as to why, but I didn't question it. As I sometimes, like it when it's busy, as it helps the shift go quicker. Besides, we had to be on our best behaviour, as the Peaky Boys where sat in the snug, their own private room whilst they are within here.

The pub was alive with sing-song one of the woman had kicked it off by singing, Come Joesphine In My Flying Machine, very loudly at the top of her lungs, it made all the men within the room join in with her.

Come Josephine in my flying machine
Going up she goes, up she goes
Balance yourself like a bird on a beam
In the air she goes, there she goes
Up, up a little bit higher
Oh, my, the moon is on fire
Come Josephine in my flying machine
Going up all on, goodbye

Oh, say, let us fly girl
Where dear? To the sky girl
Oh you flying machine
Jump in, Miss Josephine
Come Josephine in my flying machine
Going up all on, goodbye

Of course I had to be the push over, that had to go and tend to the Peaky Boys and that meant waiting on them hand and foot. I poured a bucket of beer and walked over to the snug and opened the door. They were all sat around the tables, smoking, smoking so much infact that when I inhaled, it sharply caught the back of my throat, I nearly had a coughing fit. He stopped chatting for a moment and quickly gave me a sidewards glance, but I chose to ignore him, as I placed the bucket onto the table.

"Did ya want whiskey anarl?". I asked them. "No just beer". He told me, as he shook his head. "Why no whiskey Tommy?". The older brother Arthur asked him. "Are you expecting trouble?". He then added. I tried not to listen as I carried on pouring the beer into glasses for them. "Jesus Christ Tommy, what the hell made you let them sing?". The middle brother John asked him. "It's like their strangling cats out there". He continued. Making me purse my lips together, to prevent me from laughing out loud, to his comment. Then he did it again, he smiled, his smile was so beautiful, but I tried to make it less obvious that I was staring at him, whilst he did so, before taking a drag off his cigarette.

"Alright, 20 is the play come on". Arthur said, as he was talking about the game they were playing. "And what did make you change your mind though Tommy?". Arthur asked him. And that was all I heard before I had finished pouring thr drinks and decided on not out staying my welcome and I left them too it. As I felt his gaze upon me again, as I left the room and went onto serving the other punters out the front. The sound from the rowdy drunk crowd got louder and no one noticed or heard anyone else come into the pub. Suddenly, the crowd went silent and they all parted like the sea parts with the shore. I wonder what was happening.

Then from over the parting crowd, I saw two unfamiliar men, standing at each side of the front door of the pub and to my horror, they both were holding guns, one was holding a machine gun and the other was holding a pistol. My eyes went wide and my breathing began to quicken, it felt like my heart was going to explode, out of my chest. The silence was interrupted by Harry. "Holy shit, it's Billy Kimber!". Was all he said, his eyes not leaving the door frame. At that point my blood turned cold and I wanted to run out of here, as fast as I could, I hate confrontations and I don't like to witness them either, but I couldn't move. My feet seemed glued to the spot, my legs would move.

Suddenly, from put of the double doors, came a man, with dark hair and a mustache, he wasn't too short, but he also wasn't too tall either. He walked futher into the pub, before stopping near in the middle. "Is there any man here named Shelby?!". He shouted out and addressed the crowd. My eyes then quickly darted towards the snug window, but then I pulled them back again, to look at the man, for I thought if I stared in that direction, it might give the game away, as to where they were. No one answered him, the silence within the room echoed around the walls.

Until it was interrupted by the man, pulling a pistol, from out his suit jacket pocket and firing it up into the air, hitting the ceiling. Making everyone jump out of their skin and the women shriek in fright, including myself. "I said, is there any man here named Shelby?!". The man shouted out again. Then, like the quick of a flash the three Shelby brothers, emerged from behind the door of the snug, firstly Tommy, then followed by John and then Arthur. Tommy then looked towards myself and Harry who were stood behind the bar. "Harry get these men a drink, everyone else go home!". Tommy addressed everyone within the room.

Then, like a stampeed, everyone couldn't get out of the pub fast enough, everyone was pushing and shoving each other, to get out of the door first. I wish I could have gone with them, but I was frightened incase, I got noticed and was pulled back to stay. So, I stayed put anyway, partly because as well, I didn't want anything to happen to Tommy or his brothers. Once everyone has left all the men sat around a round table in the middle of the room. Harry handed me a tray to place upon their table, I thought I wouldn't be able to carry it, what with my hands shaking like leaves, but I managed to hold a tight grip and place it on the table. "You go 'ome!". Tommy told me. "But Mr Fenton said...". I tried to explain but he cut me off. "I said go 'ome!". He repeated.

I then walked over to retrieve my coat and bag, that was until I heard Billy Kimber make a remark about me. "I've never approved of women in pubs, but when they look like that...". He said, but never got to finish, as Tommy cut him off. "You said you wanted men called Shelby?". He asked rhetorically, as he let himself a cigarette. "You got three of them". He added. I decided to hide in the hallway, that lead out to the back and listen in on their conversation, which I knew was wrong of me, but if this is the man I'm supposed to be bumping into, at the races I need to know if I will be safe. "I'd never heard of you, then I did hear of you". Billy Kimber said. "Some diddcoy razor gang, I thought to myself so what, but then you fucked me over, so now you have my undivided attention". He added.

"By the way which one am I talking too, who's the boss?". He asked them. "Well I'm the oldest". Arthur said in his gruff voice. Billy then scoffed. "Clearly". He replied. "Are you laughing at my brother?". John then piped up. I then dropped to knees and sat down upon a box, that was underneath the coat pegs, as I sat there with my hand in my mouth, biting my nails. Oh it's all going to kick off in a minute, I thought to myself. "Right, he's the oldest, your the thickest, I'm told the boss is called Tommy and I'm guessing that's you cos your looking me up and down like I'm a fucking tart!". Billy then snapped and the trio. I couldn't help but giggle, as in my mind I could picture Tommy sat there, giving me a filthy look. "I wanna know what you want?". Tommy asked him coldly.

"There was some suspicious betting patterns at Kempton Park a horse called Monaghan Boy, he won by a length twice and then finished last, with three thousand pounds bet on him". Another man who was sitting with them said. "Which one am I talking too, which one of you's is the boss?". Tommy then said. "I am Mr Kimber's advisers and accountant". The man said. "And I'm the fucking boss okay, right, end of parley!". Billy shouted out to them. This made me jump slightly, as I wasn't expecting it to happen. "You fixed the race without my permission, you fucking gypsy scum!". He then added.

This made me feel sorry for the brothers, but also shocked to find out they were gypsies, as the gypsy community are very friendly and respectful, for we had some round where we live on the patch of grass, just down our street and they were ever so lovely to us, when mam died, they brought us meals and made sure we had enough to eat, they would even accompany me and Jimmy to school and back, when dad couldn't even lift his head from off the sofa, with grief. "What, live off the war pensions of these poor Garrison Lane widows, that's your level!". Billy stated. "I am Billy Kimber, I run the races and you fixed one of them, so I'm going to have you shot against a post!". He continued.

I then jumped to my feet in shock, that's it I've changed my mind, I'm not going to the races with him, for I wouldn't want to know what I'm  getting involved in. I stood and listened a little longer, as I slowly grabbed my coat and bag from off the hook, trying my best not to make a noise. I then heard footsteps moving around the room, my breath hitched in my throat incase, they were heading into my direction. "Mr Kimber!". I heard Tommy call out, until I then heard the cock of guns, I then slowly found the courage to, peer around the corner to see what was happening, I saw Tommy standing, with his back to me, whilst the two other brothers were still sitting. Whilst Billy, was stood facing Tommy and two of his hench men, was pointing guns at Tommy.

Tommy, then took something out of his pocket and threw it to Billy, who caught it in his hand. "Look at it!". Tommy told Billy. Billy, then brought the object up to his face and looked at it, it looked like a small bullet. "That is my name on it". Tommy said. "It's from the Lee family". He added. "You are also at war with the Lee's Mr Kimber am I right?". Tommy asked him. Billy then took a few steps forward towards Tommy. "The Lee's are attacking your bookies and taking your money, your men can't control them and you need help". Tommy told him. "Perhaps we should listen to what Mr Shelby has to say, before we make our decisions". Billy's accountant added.

"Right, the Lee's are doing a lot of talking, at the fairs, they have a lot of kin, they're saying the rwce tracks are easy meat, because the police are busy with strikes, now we have connections, we know how they operate, you have muscle, together we can beat them, divided maybe not". Tommy told him. Billy didn't say anything other than, stand their opened mouthed, like a cod fish. "Mr Kimber, perhaps we should take some time for reflection, possibly make arrangements for a second meeting?". His accountant asked him. "I admire you Mr Kimber, you started with northing and built a legitimate business, it would be an honour to work with you Mr Kimber". Tommy asked.

"Nobody works with me, people work for me". Billy replied. He then picked a coin from out of his pocket and flicked it onto the floor, it landed with a thud. "Pick it up Pikey". He said to Tommy. A short silence ascended between them all. "Don't do it Tommy". I whispered underneath my breath. Tommy then went to bend down to pick it up, just then, John jumped up from his seat, to stop him. "Sit, sit down". Tommy warned him, as he held up his index finger and pointed back towards the seat, for him to sit back down in. Tommy then picked the coin up and glared at Kimber. "It's for your ceiling". Billy said, before he began to walk away and out of the pub,.followed by his men. "Thank you, Mr Kimber". Tommy sarcastically thanked him.

Just then, Billy's accountant walked up to Tommy. "We will be at Cheltenham". He told him. "As will I". Tommy replied. The accountant didn't reply, he just placed his hat upon his head and walked out the door. Leaving the men sat there in silence, as they continued to smoke and knock back the drinks, that they were pouring each other previously. I then, hastingly put on my coat and headed for the back door, but unfortunately to my horror it was locked. Harry must have forgotten to unlock it, what withbit being so busy earlier on.

"Shit!". I whispered aloud. I then peered around the corner to see if they were looking and if I could escape through the front door. I then, took in a deep breath and then made a run for it, I ran past them, as fast as my legs could carry me. "Oi!". I heard Tommy yell out. As I grabbed the front door handle and ran out into the street, as fast as I could. It was pitch black by now, the only light I  had to guide me, was the light from the street lamps. I continued to run, whilst keep looking back, to make sure no one was following me, but it didn't work. For as soon as, I got just down the end of the street, there he was emerging himself from out the pub, quickly scanning around to look for me, I continued to run back home and he must have just caught the back of me running around the corner. "Oi!". I heard him shout, out again.

You see, no one will come to my aid too see if I'm alright, as it was a Peaky Blinder who was chasing me after all and no one, would interfer with Peaky Blinder business. I then made it into my street, as I stopped and panted out of breath, unaware that by doing this it gave him more of a chance to catch up to me. So, I continued to run until I was at my front door and just as I placed the key into the front lock. I felt him grab me from my side and then grab my whole waist, trying to stop me from entering my home. I then screamed out in terror, as sudden flashbacks had hit me, of what had happened to me that night, when I was alone in Newcastle.

I then, managed to wriggle free from his grasp and elbow him slightly in the ribs, allowing me to get inside my home for safety. I then slammed the door shut and placed my back up against it, panting heavily to try and calm my breathing. The banging on my front door began, he hadn't left. "Open the door!". He yelled from the other side. I choose to ignore it and through the darkness of the house, I found the staircase and shouted up from the bottom of it, hoping that if I did I would wake Jimmy or Father. "Dad!...Jimmy!". I shouted up, but got no repsonse. I suppose they were both working late at the pit, for although it was dark, it was only seven o'clock.

The banging on the door continued. I then, slowly walked up to it and stood in front of it. "Rosie, I'm not leaving until you open this fucking door!". Tommy snapped. "T-t-tommy I'm sorry alright, please just go away, your frightening me, I'm sorry for eavesdropping, I promise, I won't do it again, the back door was locked and I couldn't get out! I'm sorry, please just go!". I shouted through the door, my voice shaking with panic. Suddenly, there was silence and I heard footsteps walking away from the door, I quickly went to peer through the window voils and saw a figure walk up, to the direction of where Tommy lived, next door. I'm guessing he got the message and went home.

Two hours, it was now about nine o'clock. I had, had a nice hot bath to help me with the shock of events that had happened this evening, in the tin bath, infront of the roaring fire and to keep warm, I was now sat in front of the roaring fire, on the sofa reading a book. When my reading was interrupted, by something being posted through the front door letter box. I slowly closed my book and put it on the sofa beside me, whilst I stood up slowly and went to walk over to the door mat and pick up the white envelope that was lying upon it. I then took it back over to the sofa and sat down, so that I was still keeping warm. I studied the front of it, but it had no name or address on it. I then tore it open and unfolded it and began to read, my eyes went wide as I did.

Rosie,

I am not normally a man to apologise, but I think now is a must, so here it goes.

Please forgive me and my actions, I did not mean to startle you, for a moment I had completely forgotten, what you had gone through. For your scream sent daggers straight to my heart, I couldn't imagine what you went through that night. I was just angry, that you were there, I thought that you had gone home and if Kimber had known that you were there, God knows what he would have done.

I just wanted to keep you safe.

I hope your still going to consider going to the races with me?.

Tommy.

I sat there, staring at the short paragraph that was, written upon a peice of paper, for it was short indeed, but very sweet. For he didn't have to apologise, for he is a Peaky Blinder, who apologises to no one, but he apologised to me, me of all people. "He wanted to keep me safe". I said softly to myself, as I held the note up to my chest, as my heart started to pound and my head started to spin again, Oh Tommy Shelby what are you doing to me. I thought to myself.

Just then, my thoughts were interrupted by the boys coming home from work. I quickly put the note back into the envelope and stuck it into my apron pocket and placed my hands on my lap to try and look normal. The boys were engrossed in conversation, too busy to look around the room. "Ah look at that Jim, our Rosie Posie, 'as got the fire goin' all lovely and hot for us!". Dad said, as he turned his attention from my brother, to look at me. I just smiled at his comment. "Aye I'm bloody pleased anarl, as it's fuckin' freezin' out there!". Jimmy said. Dad, then clipped him around the head. "Jimmy, enough of that swearing!". He warned him. Jimmy stood there rubbing his head, where dad had hit him. "Aye alreet, nee need for violence is there!". Jimmy hissed.

I then stood up from off the sofa and walked up to them, giving them both a kiss on the cheek, much to Jimmy's disgust and went to go up stairs to bed. "Going to bed pet?". Dad said. "Aye". I replied. "Tea's in the oven keeping warm, try and keep the noise down please". I told them. Earlier, I had made the three of us, dippy eggs, ham and homemade chips, out of some of the potatoes that we had left. "Aye alreet flower, goodneet". Dad replied. "Night". I said, as I made my way to my room and closed my bedroom door, lighting the gas lamp, got changed into my pyjamas, taking the letter from out of my apron pocket and walking over towards the bed, pulling back the covers and getting inside of them, I took the letter out of the envelope and read it to myself one last time. "Just wanted to keep you safe". I whispered to myself again. Before, I placed the letter to my chest with my hands and then rolling over on my side and placed it in the side draw, before snuggling down under the covers and letting sleep consuming me. Ready for a new day ahead tomorrow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

414K 13.2K 53
It's the roaring twenties in Birmingham, the Peaky Blinders exist alongside God but they were much, much closer at hand than Him. Mercedes de Silva...
90.3K 2.2K 19
What would happen if Polly's daughter had survived rather than her son? What would happen if Michael wasn't a Shelby but instead fell for one? - Mich...
11.5K 530 28
❝ Mar, we both know the rules of this game. ❞ ❝ And what game would that be, Tommy? ❞ ❝ The one where we pretend that we can resist each other. ❞ Tom...
374K 6K 31
This story is about the youngest member of the Shelby family, Vive. Together with her brothers she grows up under the smoke of Small Heath. Surrounde...