The Prey In The Dark- DDW

By bandhoez9194

Against his friends wishes, Daithi moves into a new apartment complex in Los Angeles. What he didn't know unt... More

New Home
New Friends
New School
New Protections
New Ideas
New Doubts
New Roommate
New Realisations
New Life
Epilogue: New Endings
Information

New Opinions

16 2 0
By bandhoez9194

Finally fucking Friday, Daithi thought to himself, dropping his stuff by the couch and dropping heavily on it. It'd been a long week, but thankfully nothing else weird had happened.

He'd met John's partner Smiity, the younger fae obviously much more mischievous than John. His brown eyes sparkled with glee, even as his face seemed so much younger and innocent.

When Smiity started talking, John had quickly nudged him and whispered in his ear, making the younger frown. That was when Daithi realised he'd felt his aura reaching for him and mentally drew up blocks against it.

But once John had talked to Smiity, Daithi felt that aura recede and he felt more grounded. He knew Smiity was only 18 technically (though John explained he was actually about 70 in human years, which was still very very young in fae years) and hadn't had a complete grasp of his abilities yet. Neither did John, but he had a bit more at 19.

He'd also met Anthony, though the shapeshifter had been a bit high. He had extremely frizzy hair, a constant smile and a cheerful aura. When Daithi had first met him, he'd been transformed into a large lynx cat sleeping on the window seat.

A knock came at the door and Daithi tilted his head back to look at it contemplating, sighing to himself. He stood and opened the door, tilting his head as he saw Brian, Brock, Evan, Jon and Tyler all standing there. Along with two new people he'd never seen.

"Hi!" Jon said cheerfully, walking into Daithi's apartment without waiting for a greeting. "Jon," Evan sighed and Daithi rolled his eyes, opening the door wider and welcoming them in.

"This is Scotty and Chrissy, they just got back this morning," Brock introduced, Daithi nodding at them. "Hello, I'm Daithi," he greeted, holding his hand out.

Chrissy took his hand, Daithi preparing for the tingle. Instead though, he felt as if someone had snapped a rubber band against his palm. He hissed but didn't yank back, Chrissy letting go a moment later.

"It's ancient, your power. I'll have to do a more in depth testing, but I'd say probably 15 to 20 generations ago," she mused, twirling some crystals around her wrist.

Daithi tilted his head curiously, rubbing the sting out of his palm. "Oh, I'm sorry, I should have warned you, I didn't hurt you too badly right?" Chrissy asked worriedly and Daithi shook his head.

"No, it just startled me. What do you mean by in depth testing?" He asked curiously and she shrugged. "DNA testing, I just need a single drop of your blood in a familial potion. Scotty, I need some herbs," she said and Scotty nodded easily.

"Sure, just tell me which ones, I'll have them to you by tomorrow," he said and she kissed his cheek before pulling a notebook out. She wrote down a few things before handing the paper to him.

He read them over, tilting his head. "I'll have to go get the seeds for this one, but I know where to get it. I'll go do it now, I'll see you later. Love you," he said to her, giving her a quick kiss before nodding to Daithi.

"It was nice to meet you, Daithi," he said cheerfully and Daithi smiled. "Nice to meet you too," he said and Scotty grinned, waving to the others behind Daithi and leaving.

Daithi turned to face his friends, Tyler eyeing him curiously. "Well, I'm glad to have a group of non humans as my friends to help me figure this out. Séan would have gone apeshit if he'd found out I had magic in me," he tried to joke, but he knew it fell flat as he considered his words.

Séan wasn't species-ist really, he just didn't know how to act around those who were different. There was a human in their old school that had a history of a magical human and he'd shunned them.

"There's no way he's pure human, and you can't trust them. Magic shouldn't be natural, they've got to be doing something to get it as a human," Séan had said quietly to Daithi, who'd just sat quietly awkward.

Tyler tilted his head at Daithi, seeing something in his face. "You won't be able to tell him, will you," he stated and Daithi swallowed, sticking his hands in his pockets.

"Probably not. I haven't told him about you guys either outside the fact that you exist. He'd come just to get me away from here, and if he saw you he'd hurt you. And I can't have that happening, you guys are my friends and are so incredible, I don't want you hurt. He was against me coming to LA in the first place because it's "a monster cesspool"," he said bitterly, Brock's jaw tensing.

Daithi sighed. "He's a good person, he's just got a grudge. His best friend was killed by a rogue when we were kids and now he's got it in his head that all non humans are the same, just wanting power. I've tried for years to convince him otherwise, but nothings worked," he said quietly and Tyler moved to his side to rest an elbow on his shoulder.

Tyler wasn't a touchy feely person, he'd touched Daithi three times ever in the last two weeks. So him doing this was his awkward way of providing comfort, and Daithi deeply appreciated it.

He took a deep breath and said, "I'll make sure you guys are safe though. It's not fair to judge all by one, and it was a werewolf who'd killed him. Which also doesn't mean shit, because Sark is the best fucking dude ever. I'd already decided I wouldn't invite Séan here anyway, there are a lot of non humans around here and I don't want him offending or hurting anyone or him getting hurt. It's- it's better to keep it separate."

Brian gave him a sympathetic look and Daithi clenched his jaw, straightening his spine. Tyler removed his arm and he smiled softly at the taller man before turning to Chrissy.

"I want to do the tests, what do you need from me?" He asked and Chrissy held her hand out. Daithi prepared for the snap again, giving her his hand. She flipped his palm over and held up a small bottle.

Before Daithi could see, she moved quickly and he hissed with a jerk at the sting. A small cut in the palm of his hand dripped a little blood, Chrissy filling the bottle before pulling another one out with a shimmering purple liquid.

She dripped two drops on the cut, Daithi watching wide eyed as the small cut healed. "That's all I need! Scotty will have the plants grown by tonight, and I can get it started. It should be ready by tomorrow, okay? I'm going to prepare, it was nice to meet you Daithi," she said sweetly and Daithi nodded, smiling back.

"It was nice to meet you too. I'll see you tomorrow then," he said and she nodded as she left. "Right, well, who wants pizza?" Evan asked and Jon rolled his eyes. "You always want pizza," he said amused and Evan grinned.

"That's because it's the best fucking fast food out there. Who's in? I'll pay," he asked and everyone exchanged looks before nodding. "Sweet, there's a really good local pizza place down the road, shall we head out?"

Daithi gathered his keys and wallet, slipping his shoes back on before following his friends out the door. He waved to John and Smiity as he passed, the two whispering to each other but smiling and waving as they passed.

"I still can't believe you managed to get the protection of John Keyes," Tyler said quietly to him once they were away from the apartment. "John doesn't like anyone really, and it took him nearly a year to consider us friends."

Daithi tilted his head, considering that information. "I don't know how I did it," he admitted and Tyler chuckled, shaking his head.

They reached the pizza place and went to sit down, ordering some drinks before going to check out the buffet. "So Daithi, your real name isn't that is it?" Brian asked and Daithi rolled his eyes.

"Technically yes, but on paper it's David. Daithi is just the Irish version, like Nogla is for Nagle," he said and Brock raised an eyebrow.

"Your name is David Nagle?" He asked and Daithi nodded. "That's such a white name, David," Brian teased and Daithi gave him a look. "Like Brine isn't?" He asked and Brian said, "Brine isn't but Brian is."

Daithi kicked him under the table and he laughed, leaning down to rub his shin. "Damn, your shoes hurt, the fuck are you wearing?" Brian asked teasingly and Daithi looked down.

"Sneakers," he answered and everyone laughed. "Not my fault you've got delicate skin."

Brian stuck his tongue out at him and Daithi grinned, leaning back in his seat to look around. Evan hadn't really been paying attention, too focused on the pizza on his plate. Jon rolled his eyes at his partner and grinned at Daithi.

They enjoyed their dinner, chatting and discussing their weeks. Jokes and playful insults were thrown around, Tyler picking on Daithi for his run in with the demons and Daithi picking on Brian for the time a couple days before he'd accidentally startled him and he'd shapeshifted into a small cat.

Daithi's phone rang and he looked down, a worried excitement filling him as he saw Séan's name. Tyler looked over and frowned as he noticed it too, looking up at Daithi concerned.

"I'm going to take this," he said quietly, getting up and walking outside. He pressed answer and said as normally as possible, "Hello?"

"Jesus you fucker, you haven't called me in three days! I was worried some monster killed you," Séan's voice came through the speaker and Daithi winced.

He felt someone walk up behind him and turned, seeing Tyler leaning casually against the wall. "They're not called monsters, Séan, they're non humans or supernatural. And every one I've met so far has been nothing but welcoming," Daithi said tiredly, deciding to omit his run in with the demons.

Tyler smirked at him, making Daithi roll his eyes. "You can't trust them Daithi, none of them. Who knows what they can do," Séan warned and Daithi gritted his teeth.

"One of them saved my life," he said flatly and Séan gasped. "Did you get attacked? What happened? When did this happen? Why didn't you tell me?" He demanded and Daithi rubbed his forehead as he went to lean against the wall next to Tyler.

"I wasn't attacked, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and it happened Monday afternoon, so obviously I'm fine," he said tiredly and Tyler nudged him. He looked up and just smiled reassuringly at him, feeling comfort with the others presence.

Tyler's aura always felt like safety and comfort, and he didn't know why. He wondered if there'd be a way to learn more of his magic, to see if there's more to it than just an aura read.

"Monday? Your first day of school? I told you going to LA wasn't safe! You need to just come home," he insisted and Daithi glared at the ground.

"I have friends here, Séan. I'm enjoying my classes, I like my apartment. Besides, I signed a one year contract, I can't break it without problems," he said and Séan just sighed.

"I'll come visit then," he said and Daithi looked at Tyler worriedly before glancing through the window where his friends sat. Séan couldn't come here, not with his friends being what they were.

"You don't have to do that, I'm fine and I'm safe. I'm out at dinner with my friends right now actually, can I call you back later?" He asked and Séan sighed again.

"Can I talk to them? They're human right?" He asked and Daithi didn't want to lie, but he didn't want to say no. "They're busy right now, maybe next time," he said finally but Tyler held his gloved hand out.

"Wait, Tyler wants to talk to you," Daithi said confused, asking the taller man silently if he was sure. When Tyler nodded, he handed the phone over, his friend hitting speaker.

"Hello, is this Séan?" Tyler asked calmly and Séan said, "Yep, this is he. You're Daithi's new friend, Tyler yeah?"

"Got it in one. You said you wanted to talk?" Tyler asked, Daithi biting his lip with his eyes on the phone.

"Yeah, Daithi said he'd almost gotten hurt on Monday, do you know anything about it? Or the monster that saved him?" Séan asked and Daithi gritted his teeth.

"Yeah actually, I was the one to save him," Tyler said coolly, Daithi's eyes widening in worry. "You? You saved him? That means-" Séan gasped and Tyler smiled humorously.

"Yes, that means I'm the monster that saved him," he said flatly and Séan didn't say anything. "We're not all bad, and I'm not dangerous. Daithi is safe with me, I can promise you that. He's also safe here in LA, he's got my protection."

Daithi warmed at the words, looking down at the ground embarrassed. "Okay. Okay, I'm sorry," Séan said quietly and Daithi looked up surprised.

"Thank you. I'll give you back to Daithi now," Tyler said calmly, taking the phone off speaker and handing it back to him. Daithi smiled gratefully at him, Tyler nodding awkwardly before heading back inside.

"Daithi? I'm sorry," Séan said softly and Daithi sighed. "Just, keep your mind open. Just because one rogue came around and killed- killed Ethan, doesn't mean all non humans are bad. The majority of them just want to live normal lives, like Tyler. He's in school for engineering and mechanics, he wants to open a car shop," he said and Séan sighed.

"I'll do better, I've just been blinded because Ethan was my best friend since we were kids. He was my brother, and that fucking mutt killed him. But I should have known not all of them are the same," he said and Daithi sighed silently relieved.

"Thank you. But I really am out at dinner with my friends, I'll call you later yeah?" He said and Séan agreed. They said their goodbyes and Daithi hung up, slipping his phone into his pocket and leaning against the wall tiredly.

Someone leaned against him and he looked over to see Brock smiling faintly at him. "Tyler told us, everything okay?" He asked softly and Daithi nodded.

"I just hope he listens, it's going to be really hard with all of you as my friends now," he said and Brock nudged him with his elbow. "We'll understand, and we do understand. Our kind has faced prejudice since the dawning of time, it'll take more than 50 years of peace to change that," he said calmly and Daithi sighed.

"It's still not right to blame all for one. Rogues are out there, yes, but humans have their rotten fruits too," he said and Brock shrugged. "We have powers and abilities and other things," he said and Daithi gave him a look.

"And humans have guns, bombs, knives and more. Everyone has ways to be dangerous," he said and Brock just smiled faintly. "If only more people thought like you. Don't stress about it Daithi, we're okay. We've got more chances now, and that's all we've ever asked for," he said reassuringly and Daithi sighed.

"Okay. We should probably go finish dinner, I don't want this to ruin today," he said and Brock nodded. They headed inside and sat back down, everyone giving Daithi bright smiles.

Tyler nudged him and Daithi smiled faintly at him. "Thank you for that, you didn't have to tell him you're non human," he said softly and Tyler shrugged.

"If it makes things easier for you, I don't mind. I don't care if people know I'm non human," he said and Daithi nudged him gently, smiling gratefully.

Dinner passed smoothly after that, Evan insisting on paying as he stood to go to the counter. When he returned Daithi sneakily slipped a 20 into his pocket, Jon noticing and rolling his eyes.

They headed back to the apartment, Daithi pausing as he noticed a store he was needing to go into. "I'll catch up in a second, we're meeting at Brian's and Brock's place yeah?" He asked and Tyler nodded, pausing too.

"Want me to come with?" He asked and Daithi shook his head. "Nah, I'm good, I'm only grabbing a couple things. I won't be but 20 minutes," he said and Tyler nodded, hurrying to catch up with the others.

Daithi went inside and grabbed what he needed, noticing a help wanted poster at the counter. "Can I have an application?" He asked the cashier and she nodded.

"It's online, scan this here and it'll open it," she said, tapping on a QR code taped to the counter. Daithi quickly scanned it and saved the page, paying for his items and leaving.

He was looking through the application on his phone when he felt eyes on him, looking up to see Tyler standing on the other side of the road looking concerned.

Daithi paused and turned around. A half second later he felt a rush of air behind him and whirled around to see a car flying by him on the road. Daithi swallowed, his face going pale as he realised if he hadn't stopped he'd have been hit.

Tyler rushed over, skidding to a stop by him. "Holy fuck, are you okay?" He asked and Daithi nodded, hands gripping his phone and bags tightly. "Y-yeah, it's a good thing I stopped when I did. Why did you come back?" He asked shakily and Tyler shrugged.

"Had a feeling I needed to, I don't know why. Glad I did, you could have been hurt," he said and Daithi nodded, eyes on the brake lights down the road.

"Yeah, good thing. If I hasn't sensed you nearby I'd have kept walking," he said and Tyler shook his head. "Come on, the others are waiting for us," he said, taking half of Daithi's bags.

They walked back to the apartment, Daithi keeping his eyes up and eyeing the road warily. As soon as they were inside he sighed relieved, going up to his apartment really quick to drop his stuff off.

Tyler handed him the bags he'd taken and Daithi put everything away, taking a deep breath. "Thanks for following me, you keep saving me," he said quietly to the other and Tyler shrugged.

"No problem, I don't mean to do it but I'm glad I am. You ready?" He asked and Daithi nodded, ready to spend a Friday evening with his friends.

He pushed the near death experience away from his mind and followed Tyler out the door. He was fine, he didn't need to dwell.

Idk why I'm making Séan so paranoid, but it works for the story lol he gets better I promise anyway I hope yall enjoyed! Kisses!!

~Banana

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112 4 3
Sequel to Perspectives. 4 months after Jon, Tyler, Evan, Brock and Brian got together, they're all gathered at Evan's Canadian home. Jonathan is go...
63.7K 2.6K 21
Born in the streets of Los Santos and growing up alongside her father, a ruthless gang leader, Alice knew everything about surviving. That was until...
4.5K 177 31
Y/n is one of the failed experiment of the Los Santos Human Experimentation Group (or LSHE) that survived from the side effects of the experiment and...
398 0 21
Amanda is begin abused by her father, because he blames her for her mother's death, and that she was a mistake. Amanda tried everything to kill herse...