Stairways | A Surviving Summe...

By phoebewrites_14

Ari x Reader In the Shorehaven community, you're Y/n, Marlon's sister. After a year out, Ari Gibson is back s... More

Part 1 - Summer's Arrival
Part 2 - Disqualified
Part 3 - Party
Part 4 - Quarters
Part 5 - Training
Part 6 - Work
Part 7 - Ari's house
Part 8 - The Teachers
Part 9 - The Surf
Part 10 - Panic
Part 11 - Jackson Bay
Part 12 - First and Last
Part 13 - Shame
Part 14 - Before
Part 15 - Safe Bet
Part 16 - Apologise
Part 17 - Night Surf
Part 18 - The Reef
Part 19 - Aftermath
Part 20 - 360
Part 21 - Heat
Part 22 - Jealously, Jealousy
Part 23 -Forgiveness
Part 24 - The Hold Down
Part 25 - VIPs
Part 26 - The Party
Part 27 - Happiness
Part 28 - Deception
Part 29 - The Board
Part 30 - Secrets
Part 31 - Together
Part 32 - Breathe
Part 33 - Guilt
Part 34 - Closer
Part 35 - Surf Trip
Part 36 - Nightmares
Part 37 - Trust
Part 38 - Marlon
Part 39 - Warnings
Part 40 - Secret's Out
Part 41 - Gone
Part 42 - Getting Ready
Part 43 - The Plan
Part 44 - The Before Times
Part 45 - The Jump
Part 46 - Stairway
Part 47 - Falling
Part 48 - Wake Up
Part 49 - Plans
Part 50 - Shouting
Part 51 - Crashers
Part 52 - Alliance
Part 53 - Mood
Part 54 - Dare
Part 55 - Pizza
Part 56 - Thank You
Part 57 - The Ferry
Part 58 - In Time
Part 59 - Amends
Part 60 - Caught
Part 61 - Trouble
Part 62 - Break
Part 63 - Hints
Part 64 - The Airport
Part 65 - Simple
Part 66 - Season 1 Epilogue
Part 67 - Season 2 Prologue
Part 68 - Close
Part 69 - Selection
Part 70 - Pink
NOT AN UPDATE
Part 71 - Baxter
Part 72 - The State Team
Part 73 - Wren
Part 74 - Espresso
Part 75 - Team
Part 76 - Lunch
Part 77 - Team Bonding
Part 78 - Meeting
Part 79 - Deception: Part 2
Part 80 - Fire
Part 81 - Distance
Part 82 - Break Up
Part 83 - Strangers
Part 84 - Frozen
Part 85 - Help
Part 86 - Talent Search
Part 87 - Sabotage
Part 88 - Byron Bay
Part 90 - Photos
Part 91 - Reputation
Part 92 - Blame
Part 93 - Disgrace
Part 94 - Party Planning
Part 95 - Passion
Part 96 - Fight
Part 97 - Morning
Part 98 - The Board (Part 2)
Part 99 - Decode
Part 100 - Bad Time

Part 89 - Makeup

672 15 1
By phoebewrites_14

You wake up to a harsh banging on your door, followed by a muffled groan from Poppy in the bed next to you.

"Oh my god, what time is it?!" you hear Summer sigh, and you glance at the clock on the wall - it's eight o'clock, which isn't that early, but after getting up at half four the morning before, it's safe to say you could use another hour in bed.

"Guys, there's breakfast downstairs!" you hear Bodhi yell from the other side of the door, and then her footsteps down the stairs. Poppy groans again, burying her face in the pillow.

"C'mon guys," Summer sits up, and you push yourself up to a sitting position, rubbing your eyes. "Day one, let's go." she says as she makes her way to the bathroom.

After you've gotten dressed and washed your face, you and the others head downstairs to where Bodhi and Wren are sitting around the huge garden table by the pool.

The breeze is warm as you step onto the patio, and see that Bodhi and Wren have already dug into the food arranged on the table - it's piled high with cereal, pastries, toast, muffins, and about twenty different types of fruit. Your stomach growls as you take in the spread - Subtropix have spared no expense in making your trip memorable; you don't think you've ever seen this much food for free in your life.

"Morning guys!" Wren says, uncharacteristically cheerful, she motions to the table. "Sit down, get some breakfast - Molly's going to be here soon to brief us."

"Sleep well?" Bodhi asks to no one in particular, and Poppy nods, taking a croissant from a cake stand.

"Yeah, it was alright." she replies.

"Sorry about the early start," Wren says. "But we've only got like, half an hour before we'll have to go to get our hair and makeup done."

You take a pain au chocolat from the cake stand and nibble the edge nervously - you've been enjoying all the perks of Subtropix sponsoring this whole thing, but now that you're getting closer to the actual modelling part of the trip, nerves are starting to creep up on you. You've never done anything like this before.

"Morning girls," Molly's high heels tap on the paved ground as she approaches, wearing a green summer dress with a phone in one hand. "Now, the schedule for today is going to be pretty tight, so I need you all to be focused, okay?"

You nod along with the other girls.

"Okay, so, at 9 I need you to head over to hair and makeup, and then pick out an outfit from the ones we'll provide - Dice is going to meet us on the beach at 12, and we need to be there on time, okay? There's a schedule, and we need to stick to it." She gives us a stern thumbs up and then is preoccupied as she discusses something with another Subropix worker.

"Y'know the concept for the campaign today is 'Boho Paradiso'," Wren says, leaning in. "It's going to look so great when we're on the cover."

"Yeah, and I've collected some editorial looks to go with the mood boards I sent Molly, so I'm hoping she's going to use them when we're shooting the surf shots." Bodhi says hopefully.

"Oh my god, that's the only part of this whole thing I feel like I'm going to be able to do," Poppy groans. "I don't know how to model."

"It's not that hard when you get into it," Wren shrugs. "I'll show you what to do when we have the outfits on."

After breakfast, the group heads to where Subtropix have set up a station for hair and makeup - there are five chairs positioned in front of those fancy makeup mirrors with light bulbs around them, and three technicians rummaging through makeup bags and sorting clothes.

"Okay girls, take a seat and I'll be back in a minute after I update HQ." Molly smiles, and you hear her heels clicking off into the distance as she begins talking on her phone.

You sink into the third closest seat next to Summer and look at yourself in the mirror: you barely had time to brush your hair this morning, and it looks tired and frizzy as it hangs down your shoulders.

The hairstylist is working away at something which involves spraying a whole bottle of water in your hair, when your phone starts buzzing on the countertop. You turn it over to see it's Marlon phoning you, which is slightly odd, so you pick it up straight away, holding it to your ear the best you can in a way that doesn't annoy the stylist.

"Hello?" You answer, and Marlon replies almost instantly.

"Hey, where are you at the moment?" he asks, and your answer sounds almost trivial with his serious tone.

"Getting my hair done."

"How's the shoot?" He sounds hurried, as if being polite is just a formality he needs to get out of the way.

"It's great," you reply cautiously. "Although we haven't gotten to the actual photo shoot part yet, so I don't know how long that will last."

"You'll be fine," he says, quickly again, and then his voice goes lower. "Are you with anyone right now?"

"Uh, yeah the girls are here." You spare a sideways glance at the other four, who you realise have gone pretty quiet since you picked up the phone.

"Speak in Portuguese." He says, in Portuguese, and you oblige, wondering what Marlon must have to tell you that's so secretive he can't let anyone hear.

"Okay," you reply in the other language, and hear a muffled 'ugh' from Summer, as if she was waiting to hear what Marlon had to say. "What do you want to tell me?"

"There's definitely something weird going on at home." he says quietly, although you doubt anyone can understand him on the other end of the line.

"What do you mean?" you reply, hearing your voice wavering slightly involuntarily.

"Me and Ari went out for a surf, and then I had to go back and get a different board because the conditions were terrible, and I wanted the longboard," he rambles. "And when I got back mum was inside with a man."

"This is what I was talking about!" you exclaim. "Did you recognize him?"

"A little, I guess. I mean, he just looked familiar, but I can't place him. But he must be from Brazil, though, right? They were speaking the language."

"I guess so. But who the hell is he?" you reply, still feeling the other girls' eyes on you.

"I have no idea. I'm going to try and find out though."

"Okay, well, text me if you work anything out," the hairbrush that the hairstylist is using taps the edge of your phone as she brushes, and you take that as your cue to put the phone down. "Listen, Mars I've got to go, but I'll speak to you when I get back, yeah?"

"Yeah, okay. Good luck with your shoot." his voice sounds shaky as he hangs up, and you hope he's not too hung up on this situation - he's got enough to deal with, with all the State Team stuff, and whatever the hell is going on with him and Poppy.

"Thanks." you put the phone back on the glass countertop, and the other four girls give you expectant looks.

"What was that about?" Summer asks, a smile lifting one side of her mouth.

"Nothing, just Marlon." you reply.

"Has something happened?" Poppy asks, and you try not to look too deeply into the way her brow furrows with worry. "You sounded pretty serious."

"Nah, just that random guy at my house again-" you're about to continue when Molly comes strutting back into the room.

"Okay, we're running a little ahead of schedule down at the beach, so we need to hustle and we can get down there as soon as possible. When you're done with hair and makeup, pick anything you like from that rack over there." She points absently to a rack of clothes in the corner of the room, then smiles and is dragged off again by another Subtropix colleague.

The stylist goes back to doing your hair as someone comes over with a makeup palette and starts applying foundation to your skin.

It takes about an hour before you properly take a look at yourself in the mirror: your hair is unrecognisable to what it normally is like: you're in the sea so often you never really have time to do anything nice with your hair. But now, the stylist has brought out your natural brown curls, similar to your brother's. Not to mention they've done your makeup properly - you've never had it done professionally before, and it makes you look...different. Older.

"C'mon, let's go choose something to wear." Summer grabs your hand and pulls you to your feet, bringing you over to the clothes rack which is full of mostly orange and white clothes. She runs an absent hand over the fabric, then leans into your ear.

"Watch this," she whispers with a smile. Summer removes a skirt from its hanger and holds it up to Wren. "Hey - this would look really good on you."

"Oh, thanks," Wren responds. "Yeah, actually this is really cute." she says with what seems like a genuine smile as she heads to the changing room.

"Told you I can play nice." Summer says to Poppy as she passes by, and Poppy rolls her eyes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.6K 318 12
✧. β”Š β­π—’π—–π—˜π—”π—‘ π—˜π—¬π—˜π—¦ "i've been watching you, for some time, can't stop staring at those 𝘰𝘀𝘦𝘒𝘯 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴" β”Š ⋆ β”Š . β”Š β”Š β”Š β”Šβ‹† β”Š . β”Š β”Š β”Šβ‹† β”Š . β”Š...
29K 303 23
Bodhi's sister returns from living with her mom. She's excited to surf along side her older sister and her friends again.What happens when she falls...
15.2K 233 15
A troubled teen from New York gets sent to Los Angeles, California and is forced to live with her mothers old best friend. She learns what it means t...
45.5K 1.2K 15
When Florentina Campos first decided to surprise Summer by joining her in Shorehaven this summer, she only expected to have fun with her best friend...