Midnight Pigeon

By jesse-has-clock

I was someone from another Realm, one that no one could find the name of. I mysteriously appeared within Ninj... More

Lightning [Elements I]
Storm [Elements II]
Ice [Elements III]
Hail [Elements IV]
Earth [Elements V]
Dust [Elements VI]
Smoke [Elements VIII]
Wind [Elements IX]
Scythe [Weapons I]
Shuriken [Weapons II]
Nunchucks [Weapons III]
Sword [Weapons IV]
Vortex [Weapons V]

Fire [Elements VII]

270 16 13
By jesse-has-clock

Today was grocery day. And though my father was the one that usually went out to purchase food, the task fell on the three ninja today.

"(Y/n) isn't coming with?" Zane asked.

I shook my head. "I can't. Not everyone is as okay with me as you all are."

"What!" Jay exclaimed. "But you're, like, super cool and awesome!"

I quietly laughed. "Thanks, but not everyone thinks the same thing."

I was doing my best to keep my anxieties down. My father had gone early this morning in search of the last ninja. I was the only one up, and he told me not to tell the others. My father stated that this last individual might need a bit of a push to truly understand the dangers within this world.

Meaning, the last ninja would show up, Jay, Cole, and Zane would return, and the three might fight this new ninja, thinking he's an intruder. Then the last ninja might realise that he needs to train more, I guess?

I had asked why. My father said he had already visited the last individual a few days ago, and the last ninja wasn't at all interested in learning how to fight. My father would convince him, and he would most likely come along begrudgingly.

It was weird, hearing my father say all of this. A few days ago was when I got hurt. Did he leave while I was unconscious?

I bade the three ninja farewell, and they soon left the monastery. I was alone, and I let out the cough that I had been holding for hours.

Sickness wasn't too common for me, but it still happened somehow. I couldn't catch illnesses from anyone, and no one could catch anything from me, but I still occasionally got sick from something.

And soon, I'll have to have another conversation with the others before I get too sick. At least before I'm sleeping for half the day and worry everyone to death. Not to mention that my body temperature would rise, leading to more fear and confusion.

Until then, I headed back inside to rest. I might as well attempt to sleep my illness off before it grew worse.

Not too long after I landed in bed, however, I heard the training course running outside. Even though I wanted to keep sleeping, I had to see the newcomer. None of the others would be back for a few hours, so I might as well see if I'm able to teach the newcomer a bit before his surprise test.

If I really am sick, though, I might not be able to do much.

I got up out of bed and slowly made my way to the exit. I slid the door open and gently stepped out.

I only took two steps before I froze. I was face to face with the end of a blade.

A new person stood before me, katana in hand and pointed at me. The individual's hair spiked up in a few different directions. He wore a dark grey apron over a dirty shirt and pants.

He looked terrified, yet tried to stay brave. It was an expression I was all too familiar with.

"Stop," My father stood nearby. He held out his staff and pushed down the newcomer's katana. "This is my child."

The newcomer looked confused. "I thought they'd be normal."

I let out an annoyed huff. "Rude."

The person whipped back to me with a bewildered expression. "You can talk?!"

My father raised his staff and hit the person's head.

"Ow!" The newcomer turned to my father.

"(Y/n) is as much of an individual as you are," My father said. "You will treat them as such."

The newcomer rubbed his head in pain. He then glanced at me. "...It's Kai."

"Nice to meet you, Kai," As much as he was rude, I wanted to try to be nice to him. "I'm (Y/n)."

"Can I get back to figuring this out, now?" Kai turned to my father. "I've got a sister to save."

"A sister?" I asked.

Kai, though, was already running back to the training course. He ran for only a few seconds before he tripped and fell off of the course.

I turned to my father. "What's going on?"

My father waved me along, and I followed him into the monastery. "The Skulkin have taken Kai's sister," My father began. "I did what I could to help, though the Skulkin are much more organised than before. Now, I must help Kai reach what potential he can in such a short amount of time."

"Short amount of time?" I repeated. "Is something going to happen?"

My father quietly nodded. "I am certain I will tell everyone, soon. Until then, we must take our time."

I let out a sigh. As much as it might be annoying to my father to repeat the story multiple times, I wanted to know. I wanted to see what I could try and do to help.

Though with how Kai reacted to my appearance, he probably won't accept my help anytime soon.

"...Has Kai eaten lunch, yet?" I quietly asked.

My father looked surprised. "Why do you ask?"

"I... thought I would ask." I wanted to say that I didn't want to cook since I'm sick, though not only do my illnesses not transfer to others, but my father would probably be even more worried than he already is. I couldn't get Kai sick even if I tried.

It was still a bit gross, though.

"I wouldn't believe he has," My father mentioned. He then pointed his staff at me, "Though I believe you aren't asking simply because. Perhaps someone doesn't wish to share an illness?"

I was caught red-handed. I let out a sigh. "No, I don't."

My father chuckled. "Get some rest, my child. I would hate to see you hurt again so soon."

I offered a small nod, and my father soon went back outside. I stopped by the kitchen to grab a large glass of water before heading to my room.

My father was getting better at not worrying over my health, but I was still concerned sometimes. If we were going to head out on an adventure soon, I didn't want my father to tell me to stay home for however long they were going to be gone.

I wanted to help. I can help, but sometimes people don't think I can. A downside to being so different.

I set the glass on my nightstand before dropping into bed.  There wasn't much I could do but rest. I lied back and stared at the ceiling. Maybe a bit of sleep would be fine.

Then, I heard the shouting.

I rose out of bed, tired and feeling worse. I slowly made my way to the courtyard.

"Stop!" I heard my father call. "That's enough. You three are back earlier than expected."

"With three of us on the hunt, we got it all done pronto!" I heard Jay confidently state.

I pulled the door aside and stepped outside. Kai and my father stood close-by. Zane, Cole, and Jay stood just a bit further.

I approached.

Jay offered a wave. "Hi, (Y/n)!"

Kai suddenly whipped around, and he raised his katana and pointed it at me.

The silence felt loud. It felt as if it went on for minutes.

Then, Jay picked up a lost sword and jumped in between Kai and me. Jay started to angrily shout.

Before a fight could start, I moved past Jay and pushed the two blades apart. The two stepped back in surprise.

I turned to look at Jay. "It's okay," I told Jay.

"He just pointed his weapon at you!" Jay argued. "That's not cool!"

"It... It isn't," I agreed, "but he's not doing it because he wants to hurt me. He's just cautious..."

I turned to look at Kai.

Kai barely raised his katana in response.

I narrowed my eyes. "But if you keep treating me like I'm a threat, I'll... I'll show you how much of a threat I really am." My voice was weak, but Kai still seemed horrified. I offered a shrug, "We're supposed to be on the same team. And I get that you're not used to seeing someone like me around, but if your first response is to be ready to attack, it's..." I sighed, "Nothing good will get done."

Kai slowly lowered his blade. He refused to meet my eyes. "...Yeah," He quietly said. "Yeah."

I sighed. I then turned back to Jay. "I might be getting sick, by the way."

"What?!"

"Before you react too much," I interrupted, "it's not bad. And none of you can get the same type of sick, so you don't have to worry about missing training."

Someone grabbed my hand. I looked to find Zane. "You are certainly experiencing a fever," He said. Zane then asked, "Had this been caused by your recent injury?"

"I'm not sure." It wasn't anything serious, I knew. It could be because my body was exhausted from the injury and something got through. It might not even be related to my injury, at all. "I'll be resting though."

"You better be!" Jay exclaimed. "An injury and being sick! Totally not fun!"

I quietly laughed. "It isn't." I offered a small wave, and I soon made my way back to my room. It didn't take me long to drop into bed and fall asleep, despite the sounds of the training course outside.

~

I woke up to someone shaking my shoulder.

I slowly turned around.

Kai jumped back nearly a foot when I spotted him.

"...What are you doing in here?" I slowly asked. I was still tired, and my head felt hot.

"Uh..." Kai took a moment to think. He pointed to my nightstand.

I looked over. There was a bowl of hot soup on my nightstand.

"Zane made it," Kai mentioned. "I, uh, brought it over to... apologise."

I glanced at Kai. "Jay made you, didn't he?"

Kai stiffened, though he eventually nodded.

I let out an amused sigh. "As long as you don't try and attack me, you're forgiven."

"Really?" Kai asked.

"Yeah," I mentioned. I lied back in bed. "Just be nice. I've already heard enough insults for a lifetime."

Kai didn't speak. I didn't hear him leave, either, and I looked over with confusion.

Kai, through his anxiety, seemed concerned.

"...What?" I asked.

"Insults?" Kai questioned.

"Yeah," I replied. "Insults. Is that the right word? When someone makes fun of me?"

"I- I guess," Kai stated. "Just... why?"

"There were other people here before you and the others," I said. "When they got over being afraid of me, they just went to making fun of me. I don't really know why. Maybe they were still scared. Or maybe they just didn't like me because I was different."

"...Damn."

"Yeah."

It was quiet for a while. Eventually, Kai turned and left my room.

I only shook my head before sitting up. I reached for the bowl of soup. My favourite. My father must have told Zane.

I quietly enjoyed my soup. It helped with distracting me from my sickness. And knowing the others were looking out for me was nice, too.

Even if Kai was forced to deliver the soup for me.

I finished the soup and lied back in bed. I tried to sleep.

It didn't feel like I fell asleep. I woke up feeling as if I didn't sleep at all, yet time had to have passed. The sun was beginning to set. The empty bowl on my nightstand had disappeared.

I slowly sat up. It was getting difficult to think properly. I moved off of my bed and slowly made my way elsewhere. I was hungry, and I had ran out of water, too.

I heard a conversation up ahead. I headed towards it. Maybe I could get more soup.

I stopped at the dining room's entrance. The others were here, too.

Kai spotted me first, and he suddenly stood up.

This caught Jay's attention, and Jay followed Kai's gaze. When Jay spotted me, he jumped out of his seat. "Y/n! Are you okay?!" Jay rushed up to me.

"Do I look that bad?" I quietly asked. I felt awful. I had to look the part, too.

"You, uh, look like you're about ready to fall over!" Jay hesitantly ushered me out of the dining room. "Keep getting some rest!"

"I wanted to get something to eat-"

"We'll get that taken care of!" Jay exclaimed. "Zane could make something. You need any water? I could get some of that!"

Jay trailed after me to my room, and once I sat back in bed did Jay run off to get some water. Not too long later, Jay came back with a couple of glasses of water.

And not long after that, Zane arrived with more soup.

I didn't want to be stuck in my room for the rest of the day, but Jay told me to keep resting. "If you being sick is anything like me, getting up and doing stuff only makes it worse!"

I eventually gave up and lied back in bed. Jay and Zane told me goodnight, and I watched as the sunlight slowly faded away.

Sickness always happens, but I always feel awful about it. No one else ever got as sick as I did. And after an injury, too.

And everyone kept baby-ing me, like I'll drop dead the moment I take one wrong step.

Every little thing about me was different, and there were days where I hated it.

For once in a long while, I ended up crying before I fell asleep.

Why did I have to be so different?

Why did they treat me so differently?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Metanoia By salt

Fanfiction

13.4K 596 16
[Ninjago x F!Reader] [6k - 20k worded chapters] Your life was as normal as someone could ask for, despite the fact that you could see dead people in...
1.4K 49 6
Y/N Chime, younger sister of Morro Chime, raised by Sensei Wu and his most well trained student. Despite this, she still has never reached her true p...
3K 80 9
THIS STORY IS DISCONTINUED, I am currently writing a new one and am leaving this one open for anyone who wants to read it! "Being transported into th...
18.1K 544 24
"One Ninja will rise above the others and become the Green Ninja. The ninja destined to defeat the Dark Lord. Alongside the Green Ninja there will be...