Light in the Darkness (Englis...

By adastra000

We live in a world where the power of Darkness and Light is passed from person to person. This balance mainta... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9 - The past
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15

Chapter 12

2 0 0
By adastra000

Ana

The grayness was replaced by complete darkness by the time everyone was ready. Standing by the window, I watched the approaching people. They stood in a long line in front of the building, all dressed in elegant attire.

It was surprising to see them because I hadn't experienced such a crowd in many years, especially in a place where neither escape nor survival motivated them. Instead, happiness and health radiated from their faces as they eagerly awaited the evening.

I stepped away from the window and walked to the mirror. For a moment, I stood before the mirror and immersed myself in the magic created by the green dress. The wide, knee-length skirt looked particularly good, and although it wasn't tight, it still advantageously emphasized my figure. My brown hair cascaded in loose waves onto my shoulders, and I decided not to tie it up; instead, I straightened it with the hair straightener I found in the bathroom.

I was completely enchanted by my own appearance. Until now, I had never had the opportunity to wear such a beautiful dress.

I was so focused on myself that I only noticed the approaching figure when it stopped a few steps behind me.

Alex stood in front of my bed. He wore a white shirt, not fully buttoned, leaving a small gap visible on his chest. His necklace with the silver cross hung around his neck, the one I had helped him find. He also had black trousers and a black jacket, but he held the latter in his hands.

He looked really good.

Silently, he sat on the bed, keeping his eyes on mine.

He didn't seem like someone who wanted to say anything, so I broke the silence.

"How did you get in?"

"Your door was slightly open."

"Not—wait, and you just came in? Without knocking?"

"As you can see."

"I could have been changing. I could have been without clothes."

"Could have been," he said, and the corner of his mouth curled upward.

"Why are you here, Alex?" I asked seriously, feeling uneasy about his sudden appearance.

He didn't respond immediately. He stood up, walked beside me, and stepped towards the window, and I could also sense the fragrance of his perfume. The scent was like a delicate blend of fruits and flowers.

"Your brother sent me up for you since he still had some business. Everyone is already downstairs; you're the only one missing."

"Why did he send you and not Daniel?"

"Daniel had just arrived with his family when I was heading up to you. His sister wanted to introduce him to someone, and he didn't want to say no. So, I stayed. Don't be too disappointed," he said mockingly.

Silence settled between us again.

I turned back to the mirror, where I could also see Alex's face.

I could tell something was bothering him, but I wasn't sure if I dared to ask.

He probably wouldn't answer honestly anyway.

I took one last look at myself in the mirror. However, from the corner of my eye, I noticed that Alex's gaze was no longer directed toward the window; instead, his eyes were now on me. His gaze traveled the length of my entire body, from top to bottom, then back up. As our eyes met, he turned his head away and headed for the door.

"Come on," he declared, leaving the room without looking back.

He waited for me at the elevator, standing with his back to me. As we entered the elevator, something crossed my mind.

"Where are Lisa and Luna?"

"I sent them down first, then came to see you."

"Why not all together?"

"Why do you ask so many unnecessary questions?" he retorted, sounding bored.

The elevator stopped on the ground floor, and as the doors opened, I found myself facing a massive crowd. They were all heading towards the large door, which was open this time.

"Don't get lost in the crowd!" Alex whispered in my ear, surprising me with this gesture. He then extended his hand towards me.

"How could I get lost when everyone is clearly heading towards that huge door?" I asked, but I still looped my arm through his, not really resisting.

He didn't say anything else; he just joined the rest of the people as we moved toward the door together.

The room was adorned with long tables on one side, where people sat and chatted. In the center, there was a spacious area for dancing. On the right side of the room, tables were set up with drinks and food. At the end of the room, I spotted a stage.

"Ana!" Oliver stopped beside me, accompanied by a girl. He wore a dark blue suit that made his hair appear a shade lighter. The girl next to him wore a flowing light blue dress, and she had neatly braided her brown hair. "Good to see you. You look stunning."

"Thank you, Oliver! You look great too. The blue suit is a good match for your hair color."

"I'm glad you like it. This is my sister," he said, pointing to the girl.

"I'm Olivia Torres," the girl introduced herself, extending her hand toward me. "And you're Ana Lewis. Nice to finally meet you."

"Likewise. Your dress is beautiful."

"Thank you. Your green gown is equally impressive. It suits you well."

Alex also shook hands with the girl and introduced himself.

"I've already met your sister," Olivia said to Alex.

"Where is she?"

"Come, I'll take you to them."

Olivia made her way through the guests, and we tried to stay close to her to avoid losing sight of her among the crowd. As we approached the tables, I immediately spotted Chris with his light hair. He stood by one of the chairs, dressed similarly to Alex but with the addition of a jacket. He gestured toward the chairs and tables while explaining something to those around him. As we got closer, I also noticed Sarah, who stood behind the boy, with Piper by her side. Sarah wore a black skirt and a white blouse, while Piper wore black elegant trousers and a white blouse.

After being left alone, I walked toward Daniel. Mark noticed me first, smiled at me, then nudged Daniel's shoulder with his elbow. Daniel looked up, and our eyes met. He stood up and walked toward me. He was dressed exactly like Alex and Chris, and he also didn't wear a jacket. As we reached each other, he enveloped me in his arms. He held me tightly, one hand on the back of my neck and the other in the middle of my back.

We stood there hugging for a long time, surrounded by the massive crowd. Eventually, he pulled away from me, and his gaze traveled down my entire body. 

Just like Alex did. However, Daniel's face conveyed something, unlike Alex's inscrutable expression. Love, admiration, and... desire radiated from Daniel's eyes. No one had ever looked at me like this before.

"Ana, you're unbelievably beautiful. You look stunning," he said. 

"And you look incredibly handsome. I'm sure many would agree with me here."

"No one else's opinion matters, only yours," he added, then pulled me close again by my waist and leaned down to kiss me. The sweet taste of his lips was so familiar, as if I had known it for years.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but we need Ana," my brother's voice broke the moment. Both of us pulled away simultaneously. With a flaming red face, I turned to Leon. Unexpectedly, my father stood beside him.

"Hi, sweetheart," my dad greeted with a smile.

"Hi, dad!"

"You look beautiful. Do you like the dress?" he asked while embracing me.

"Yes, I love it."

"Forgive us for not coming for you, but we had a few things to take care of. Now it's time for you to join us. The other guests don't know how you really look or that you're the Light. They only know you're here, but they don't know who you are. They are very curious about you."

"Are you ready to face the people?" Leon asked while gently squeezing my shoulder.

"We'll be right there beside you. Don't worry."

I nodded.

"I'm ready."

Leon and my dad exchanged a glance, and then my dad rushed to the stage. Daniel kissed my cheek and headed back to his siblings. Leon extended his arm towards me, and I hooked my arm into his as we followed my dad. As we walked, more and more people turned to get a closer look. They looked at me with curiosity.

"I'd like to ask for your attention!" my dad spoke into the microphone as he reached the stage. "I'm pleased to announce that the moment we've been hoping for has finally arrived! We all knew that the Light, my daughter, was somewhere out there, and after a long search, we have finally reunited. My little girl, our only hope, has arrived and is here with us in this room," he proudly declared, glancing at me.

We were almost at the stage. People around us were already whispering to each other, some were clapping, with happiness on their faces. They were filled with hope, eagerly waiting for me.

Along the way, I overheard a few conversations.

"Does this mean we'll be saved? Can everything go back to the way it was?"

"It's not certain victory yet, but I believe it will work. With the Light on our side, we can win." - said someone else.

"So, let's welcome her!"

Leon squeezed my hand as we stepped onto the stage together. My eyes met the curious gazes, and it felt like my heart was pounding in my throat. But Leon was by my side, giving me strength. A surprising hush fell over the crowd as they focused on me.

Dad turned toward me and handed over the microphone with an encouraging smile.

"I'd like to welcome everyone present here! Honestly, I never thought I would see so many people gathered in one place, especially after these few years when I had only two people by my side. This sight fills me with happiness!" My gaze wandered to the tables, where I first spotted Daniel, proudly smiling at me. The next person my eyes landed on was Alex. For once, he was smiling at me, a genuine smile filled with contentment, and it momentarily stunned me.

The rest of my friends were also looking at me with encouragement.

Their support brought great relief. Now, I stood on the stage with more confidence, more boldly.

"I am Ana Lewis, known to you as the daughter of William Lewis, and the sister of Leon Lewis. I am the Light."

A question immediately rang out from the crowd.

"Where have you been all this time?"

"We were deep in a forest, hiding in a house. They never attacked us in that house, and that's what's funny – I never found it strange until now. While they destroyed every house in the cities, attacked everyone, in the forest, where there were so many, they never came near that particular house. Don't you find that particularly interesting?" I answered the question, and the crowd listened attentively.

From the crowd, there were many "yes" responses.

"But that's not all. As you know, I am the Light," I paused for a moment, "And I know who the Darkness is. Imagine that all this time, I lived in his house. That's why the Dark Ones never attacked us in the house."

Everyone looked at me in astonishment.

"None of us knew who the other really was. I was naive. It all happened on the day the Darkness began. I successfully escaped the city, into the forest, where I met a man and his son. The man took us in, promised that we would be safe there. He assured me that the Darkness would never attack us in that house, and I believed him. I was a terrified child who had just lost her entire family. I accepted my fate, and indeed, we lived safely for years. I didn't want to leave his house because I thought there was nothing for me outside. But then I realized that my childhood friend, who sacrificed himself for me that day, might still be somewhere out here. He made me a promise that we would meet again. And here we are, he really kept his promise" I said, and when our eyes met, Chris and I smiled happily at each other.

"And how did you find out that the man you lived with was the Darkness?"

"I lived with a man named Adam and his son, Daniel, until recently when two siblings stumbled upon our house. They got lost in the forest and needed refuge, so we let them in. One of them started questioning us right away. 'Why are you in the middle of the forest in a house? Why haven't you found the Camp yet? How is it possible that you've survived in this house, and the house is perfectly fine?' I found it annoying at that moment. Ungrateful. They should have been happy and grateful that we let them in, not questioning us," I said while Alex stared at me as I spoke. I straightened up, took a step forward, and looked deeply into the boy's eyes. "But I admit he had a valid reason to question us. He rightfully accused us. He rightfully worried. I was naive; I didn't think clearly. This boy helped me see things clearly, even if I didn't want to accept the truth."

Alex flashed a small smile.

"I learned about being the Light after their arrival. Daniel didn't want me to tell his father. In fact, he immediately suggested that we should head to the Camp as soon as possible."

"Is the boy's father Dorian?" came another question from the crowd.

"Yes, and that's why they didn't attack us. Darkness doesn't attack its own master. I lived in the same house with the possessor of Darkness, Dorian, while I am the Light, although neither of us knew it."

"Well, well! The Light and Darkness, the destroyers of each other, lived under one roof all this time! Amazing!" - said someone from the crowd.

"What are we waiting for, then? We know who Dorian is, the girl knows where he lives. Let's go and put an end to this!"

"No," Daniel spoke up. His voice came from very close, and when I turned towards the stairs leading to the stage, I saw the boy coming towards me. He also took a microphone in his hand, then stopped a few steps away from me and turned to the crowd watching him.

How must he be feeling? He had never been surrounded by so many people before; now, he stood before them, all eyes on him.

"I am Daniel Black, Dorian's son."

Daniel Black. The boy used his real surname, not the alias his father had been using.

Unpleasant remarks came from the crowd.

"Don't think it's that simple just because we know where my father lives. He has left the house many times; I have no idea why or where he went. Sometimes he was away for days, even weeks. He's not foolish. He surely has a place where he can lay low. My father always planned ahead. He knows Ana is the Light. He already knows that we know he is the Darkness. He also knows that we have arrived, and I bet he hears everything we're discussing right now," he said, disregarding the whispers in the crowd.

"What are you talking about? Are you trying to scare us?" an elderly man asked.

"No, that's not my goal. Physically, he's not here in the camp, but his spirit might be. He's capable of it, and in a way that we wouldn't even be aware of. If he wants us to see him, we will. But if he doesn't, we won't. Ana can do the same. Even if, through this, Ana discovers my father's current whereabouts, it won't get us anywhere. My father has been prepared for this for years, even before the Darkness. And Ana has just learned that she is the Light. From any perspective, my father is much more skilled than her, and I don't mean to say anything bad by that. Ana is aware of this. However, it doesn't mean that my father will win. Ana is an excellent warrior, a quick learner, dedicated, and very brave. I believe in her... No, I misspoke... I know she will succeed in the battle against my father."

Everyone agreed with the boy, except for one person.

"Why does everyone believe everything this boy says? After all, he's Dorian's son! The child of Darkness! We can't trust him! He's probably lying and spying for his father because he shares his blood!"

"I am also Dorian's son!" Mark angrily stood up, overturning his chair. "Daniel is my brother. He's the one who, years ago, was brave enough to stay voluntarily with our father when we found out what he was doing to our mother. Daniel saved us, and he was just a child—only four years old! Now he has saved the Light too. As soon as he found out that Ana is the Light, he brought her here. He didn't care that his father might catch up with them or that he might harm him too. So, I don't want to hear a bad word about my brother!"

"Do you really think he would have done that if he were loyal to his father?" Leon also rushed to Daniel's defense.

"I am sure that this is a part of their plan! The boy's task was to bring Ana here so that we would trust him. And now that they know where the Camp is, the Light's sword won't protect us from him anymore. We should lock him up—"

"Samuel, did you know that your son, who went missing a few weeks ago, has been found?" Oliver interrupted the elderly man.

"What? Where is Aaron now?" Samuel turned toward Oliver. "And how did you find him?"

"Well, I stumbled upon him under very peculiar circumstances. He was hiding behind the trees near the Camp, shooting at the Light and Leon's team. Aaron shot at us. Not on the Dark Ones, but on us. Your own son attacked us, killed one of our comrades. I would like you to think about this a bit before passing judgment on Dorian's son, who has only helped us so far."

The man's mouth hung open for a moment, then he turned his back to the boy and stormed out of the room. There was a moment of silence in the room, and when Mark took his seat again, I spoke up.

"Daniel didn't say anything about his father earlier because he thought we were safe with him, in that house. He treated me well, took me in, took care of me. Daniel always put others first, never thought of himself first. He was afraid that if he had told me that his father was Dorian, I would have wanted to leave. That I would have wanted to go away, and that would not have been good, as I couldn't have survived alone in the forest. With every decision, Daniel protected me. Me, his siblings, Sarah, and even Alex. Never, I repeat, never did he do anything wrong."

"If I understand correctly, you are the second-born child," a woman said.

"Yes. That's why my father wanted me to stay with him at all costs. I am also capable of something, there is something special in me, but he didn't want to reveal what. I am supposed to inherit the Darkness after him. That's why he wanted me on his side."

Before anyone could ask another question, my father stepped next to me, took the microphone from me, and began to speak.

"Dorian has sent me a message. He has given us a choice, which we need to discuss together, although I think there is nothing to discuss. These are our two options: Either we hand over Ana and the entire Clark family, meaning Daniel, Mark, Noah, Kiara, and Elise, or we do not accept this, and then there will be a battle.

Before anyone says anything, I add that Ana wanted to give herself up voluntarily, and she was aware that you would prefer this, as it would mean he wouldn't harm us, leave us in peace, and Ana wouldn't have to die. But we don't know what he would do with his family, nor can we be sure we can trust his word. If he gets Ana, he takes her power, and nothing will ever be the same. After a while, it's also possible that no one will be left out there, and eventually, he will attack us. I suggest we don't accept his offer. Everyone's life is at stake, and if we lose Ana's power, then we certainly can't win. We still have time; I can show Ana everything she needs to know about her power, prepare her for the final battle. Besides, she won't have to do this alone because we will also fight for our future. So that we don't have to live our whole lives behind walls, in fear, in darkness. Ana will be able to put an end to the Darkness. We will succeed!"

The crowd began to applaud; everyone agreed with my father. He hugged both me and Daniel, then escorted us off the stage.

"People have started to believe in change, Ana. You've had a serious impact on them."

The evening was spent with my father personally introducing me to many people. Daniel was approached by them too, and I heard apologies as they doubted his loyalty earlier. Mark stood by his side the whole time, not speaking, but a proud smile on his face as he watched his brother.

Dad mainly introduced me to warriors and explorers, but he mentioned many names, some of whom we ultimately didn't meet.

Later, music began to play, and the center of the room filled with dancing couples. Leon was the first to invite me to dance. I saw the rest of my team dancing too: Piper and Alex, Daniel with his mother and Kiara, Oliver with his sister, Chris asking Sarah to dance, dad with a woman he introduced me to. As the song changed, we switched partners. I danced with Chris, with dad, then with Mark and finally found myself in Daniel's arms.

Every move with Daniel was in harmony. While we danced, we laughed at times, and sometimes we quietly gazed into each other's eyes. In his eyes, I saw the warmth and love that had always drawn me to him.

"I haven't had a chance to thank you yet," he said as he spun me around.

"For what?"

"For standing up for me. You and your brother."

"Oh, Dan. It's natural. I meant every word I said. You've never done anything wrong. You have such a good heart."

"Watch out!" he suddenly exclaimed, gently pushing me aside.

I opened my mouth to ask why he pushed me, but I didn't need to. I saw the reason with my own eyes. One of the girls probably tripped over something because all I could see was Daniel's shirt completely covered in the burgundy color of wine, and the glass shattered on the floor.

I struggled to suppress a rising giggle.

"I'm so sorry!" the girl exclaimed, covering her mouth in amazement.

"No problem at all. Don't worry; I can replace the shirt."

"Can I help in any way?"

"I'll take care of it," I said, taking Daniel's hand and leading him toward the corridor. We passed by Alex, who, of course, had a comment on the situation.

"Very... unique shirt, Daniel. Is this the new fashion?"

"A little variety never hurts," Daniel replied as we left the large hall.

In the corridor, there weren't as many people as in the large hall, but still, some were lingering. I systematically opened all the doorknobs, hoping to find an empty room. After approximately ten doors, I found one.

"Wait here," I didn't wait for the boy's response; I continued my journey, searching for a bathroom. I knocked on one door, but there was no answer, so I decided to enter. As soon as I stepped into the room, I froze. A woman stood in the middle of the room, wearing only a towel, while a younger man sat in the bathtub, his body covered in foam. Although I tried not to stare, I could feel my face turning red. I felt embarrassed, but the two figures found our situation rather amusing.

"I– Uh– Jesus, why didn't you close the door?" 

The man grinned and turned his head toward me, his dark brown eyes surveying me.

"That's exactly why. I was hoping a beautiful girl would open this door. Would you like to join us?"

I felt as if someone had just slapped me hard across the face. The man lifted the cigarette to his mouth, his eyes still locked onto me. He looked at me with the gaze of a predator fixated on its prey. I glanced at the woman, hoping the guy was just kidding, but she too was just grinning.

"No, thanks. I'm just looking for a clean shirt. And you two should find some fresh air," I said.

"You'll find some in the closet. Hurry up if you don't want to stay," the woman replied, pointing to the wardrobe.

As quickly as I could, I grabbed a clean shirt from the closet - the one she indicated - and, avoiding eye contact with either of them, I left.

What the heck was that? Why do I have to end up in situations like this?

Daniel sat on the couch in the room, illuminated faintly by the light of a small table lamp. In that light, I could see his entire chest, and I won't deny that my feelings momentarily stopped as I watched the damp shirt cling to his muscular upper body.

Daniel didn't lose his smile, not even after noticing that I was staring at him a bit entranced.

"You could have taken off your shirt while I was away," I said as I slowly walked toward him. I stopped right in front of him, reaching toward his shirt. I unbuttoned each button one by one. Reaching the last one, I glanced at his face. The way he looked at me made my heart beat faster.

"If I had undressed back then, this wouldn't be happening now. It feels much better to have you undress me."

Daniel placed his hands on my waist and pulled me onto his lap. The touch made my whole body shiver.

"Continue," he whispered in my ear, leaning closer to me. A tingling sensation ran through my entire body as I unbuttoned the last button. He spread his arms so I could take the shirt off him. The moment the garment was completely off, he took my slightly trembling hands, placing them on his chest, right over his heart. His heart was beating as fast as mine. He moved one hand to the back of my neck, pulling me closer until our lips met. Initially gentle, the kisses became more passionate. His hand started sliding down from my neck to my back, following my spine...

In the midst of the fiery emotions, it felt like the world had stopped, and there were only the two of us.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, and he placed his hands back on my waist, lifting me up while standing. I entwined my legs around his hips, holding him close, and he carried me somewhere. He didn't break the kiss until we reached our destination. 

 Carefully, he placed me on the edge of a table, my legs still wrapped around him. I leaned back a bit, supporting myself with my hands, tilting my head back. He immediately leaned closer to my neck, breathing small, hot kisses onto it. His arm glided over my shoulder, then he grabbed the strap of my dress and pulled it down. He quickly kissed my shoulder and ran his hand along my collarbone, then downward, tracing along my chest.

With his passionate touches, he set every inch of me ablaze. The sensation of his tenderness mingling with desire enchanted me. It was incredible how much every fiber of my being craved his touch.

I held the boy even tighter, pulling him closer to me. I kissed him again, my fingers running through his silky black hair. A soft sigh escaped Daniel's lips.

"Ana..."

Whatever he wanted to say, whatever the next move would have been, it didn't happen because the door suddenly swung open. We both quickly turned our heads toward the door. A figure unfamiliar to me stood on the threshold.

I hastily adjusted my clothes and jumped off the table, while Daniel took a few steps towards the guy.

"Ethan?" he asked.

"Yes. I apologize for interrupting whatever was happening..."

No, Ethan. I won't forgive you for this.

"I arrived a bit late; I had something to take care of. I couldn't find you in the main hall, but I heard from someone that you might be in one of the rooms. I need to talk to you urgently, Daniel. In private."

"Oh! Of course, give me a few minutes, and I'll be right there. We can meet outside the building."

Ethan nodded and left.

"What the hell? And who the hell is this Ethan?" I asked, turning to the boy.

"No idea. When we first met, I asked if we've met before. I thought he might be one of those my father transformed first. Maybe he remembers me, maybe he knows something, or discovered something."

I watched as he put on the clean shirt.

As he buttoned it up, he smiled at me.

"Ana, everything okay? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"Yeah, I'm fine, just—"

"I know what's on your mind. I'll talk to Ethan, and then we'll come back to this. We'll discuss everything. Okay?" he said, planting a kiss on my forehead.

I nodded.

"Okay. Go, but hurry back to me!"

"I will hurry!" he said, then left the room, leaving me alone with my racing heart and swirling thoughts.

Daniel

Ethan was waiting for me in front of the main entrance. A gentle breeze swept through the air, and there was no one else in sight; we were alone.

The man was now dressed in black jeans and a gray T-shirt, with the hood pulled over his head.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked, and he finally turned around. His golden eyes sparkled in the darkness surrounding us.

"About you. I heard you're Dorian's son," he replied, then slowly headed towards the trees near the building.

Suddenly, a very bad feeling crept over me.

Shaking the ominous thought from my head, I tried to reassure myself. 

What could happen? We are safe.

I followed Ethan.

"Yes, that's true," I said when I caught up with him. The boy didn't stop, and when I looked back, I could barely see the building anymore.

"Why did you leave his side? You've been with him your whole life, and now you suddenly came away. Why? Be very honest with me, Daniel, because your life depends on it. Did you come to spy? Were you entrusted with something?"

He's suspicious. He must be concerned about the people living here. He is just doing his job.

"No, none of those. Primarily, I stayed with him to protect my family. And later, to ensure Ana's safety, until I realized that Ana was the least safe there. I had to get her out of there," I explained.

"Daniel, I'll mention it once again, you don't need to lie to me. And I also want to emphasize it one more time: your life depends on it. I couldn't care less about what happens to these people here. I want to know, I want to hear that you are loyal to our father."

Excuse me?

I hesitated. 

Could I have heard what he said wrong? 

"What are you talking about, Ethan?"

Run. Escape. You're not safe. 

My brain whispered this, but I couldn't move.

"Just answer the question so I can get on with my job," he said impatiently. 

Something wasn't right. I saw danger in his eyes.

"I answered honestly. I didn't lie. My father is insane, Ethan. Why would I support him? Why would I be loyal to him after what he did?" 

"What did he do?" 

"What did he do?! He killed people! He hurt his own family!"

His posture became dangerously stiff, as if he had prepared for a fight in an instant. 

"He didn't harm me!" His voice changed, releasing years of pent-up anger. "My own family wanted to kill me. My own family! I am part of his family, and he never hurt me, he showed me what it's like to have a real family. Dorian brings justice. The whole world suffered equally. This is fair, not like having only a few experience such things, like us!"

"You're both insane," I said, taking a step back. 

In that moment, recognition washed over me. The figure of the masked boy appeared in my mind in my father's basement, whose eyes I only saw were golden, and my father's words echoed in my mind. 

"The time has not yet come for you to meet each other. But you will meet."

I need to get away from here, from him very quickly, I need to find help, I need to warn the others."

Ethan just smiled, but this smile brought no good foreboding.

"I didn't say we were done."

He moved very quickly, catching me off guard. I couldn't dodge him, and he threw something at me. A moment later, I felt pain in my shoulder.

It's okay. I've survived worse.

I pulled the knife out of my shoulder to use it for defense, but I was too slow compared to him. Before I could do anything with the knife, he kicked my kneecap with such force that it brought me to the ground. The knife was no longer in my hand but back in his possession. With his free hand, he grabbed my hair forcefully, forcing me to look at him. The knife was in his other hand, and he plunged it into my thigh.

Snarling, I suppressed the sound rising from my throat. I couldn't show my pain.

Now that the knife was no longer in his hand, he pulled up his shirt.

His entire upper body was covered in cuts, bruises, and burn marks.

"This is what my own family did to me. Dorian killed them, so he saved me. He took me in, raised me, made me strong. There's more humanity in him than in anyone else in this world. You only see this as cruelty because you haven't suffered like we have. You don't understand."

He lowered his shirt, but he still didn't release me.

"Don't try anything, Daniel, or you'll regret it," his expression was dark, threatening, and it only intensified the fear within me.

It'll be worse for me if I don't do something.

I have no chance of escaping if I don't even try.

It will work. Even if I get hurt, Ana will help.

Fight, Daniel. Don't give up.

I pulled the knife from my thigh and swung it in his direction. It didn't go as smoothly as I hoped. He noticed my movement in time, so I only managed to cut his arm.

"Foolish move."

His knee met my face. For a moment, I couldn't see anything, just shimmering dots. My mouth filled with a salty, metallic-tasting liquid.

The temptation of losing consciousness lingered, but I fought against it with all my strength. I writhed on the ground, defending myself with my arm, but Ethan didn't stop. He kicked me with tremendous force, and I felt the air being expelled from me. The pain was so intense that I could barely concentrate. Menacing thoughts circulated in my mind, but I refused to give up. I can't give up.

"Do you know what our father entrusted me with?" His eyes stared at me with a cold, lifeless gaze. I couldn't see any empathy or humanity in them. Only hatred.

Our father. 

"He trusted that you came here to help him from afar. He believed that eventually, you would bring the girl to him. He hoped that you came here with the Light to tell discover where the Camp is and then you will lead him here. But he said if that's not the case, if he was wrong about you, then I can kill you. In that case, he doesn't need you. He doesn't need you at all."

I coughed up blood.

"He's not... your father..."

"That is true, he is not my father, but I consider him as such. However, imagine this: our fathers were brothers! You're my cousin, Daniel."

The whole world spun around me. I lay on the ground, feeling my body weaken, with hardly any strength left for the fight. Pain obscured everything, and the world around me slowly blurred.

Ethan chuckled softly, but there was no joy or mirth in it. Just the cold laughter that heightened the fear and restlessness raging within me.

"Don't take it personally; you haven't really done anything to me. It's nothing personal. But orders are orders. And this is a command I particularly enjoy. I enjoy slowly killing you. It's a shame that, as Dorian's son, your girlfriend is the Light. She's a pretty girl, I must admit."

I saw him picking up something long and metallic from behind one of the trees. 

I can't move. I'm unable to. 

I can't fight any longer.

"Don't worry, Daniel. I'll take over your place. I'll help Dorian. I'll embrace the Darkness within me."

As he approached, it was as if I saw a fast-forwarded montage of memories of my loved ones.

Mom, embracing me after years, little Kiara in Mark's hands, then the older Kiara, whom I'll never have the chance to get to know. Mark, looking at me with pride. Noah. Ana.

Ana, looking at me with love and tenderness. Ana, reaching out to me. Ana, kissing me.

Ana, everywhere Ana.

I didn't see when Ethan stopped in front of me, just as I didn't see when he raised his arm to strike with the object in his hand. I only felt the sharp pain in my chest. And I heard his voice speaking to me, but I didn't understand what, and I didn't care, because in the next moment, his voice changed, and I heard Ana.

"I love you, Daniel."

Ana smiles at me.

The pain returns.

Ana takes my hand.

Again. Ethan starts to laugh.

Then, another wave of pain.

My body can't take it anymore. I feel the last bit of air leaving my lungs.

Everything falls silent around me. I no longer feel the pain.

"Hurry back to me, Daniel."

Finally, Ana's voice fades away. Everything fades away.

Ana

I headed from the room to the kitchen to get something to drink. The room was almost empty. A guy was leaning against the counter, holding a canned beer. His gaze met mine, and recognition flashed across his face.

"Well, well, look who we have here!"

Oh no, not him!

The guy was the one I accidentally walked in on in the bathroom with a girl. His brown hair was still a bit wet, and he happily scanned me with his dark eyes.

"Too bad you didn't join us. The girl had a good time."

I'm sure she did. I rolled my eyes and, reaching the fridge, took out a bottle of fruit juice.

"I'm much more interested in those who don't agree to my offers right away. I like challenges," he said, winking at me, then took a few steps toward me. "What's your name?"

"If I tell you, promise to leave me alone."

"Sure, I promise not to bother you anymore."

"Ana Lewis."

He came even closer. I started to back away but couldn't go far since my back hit the wall. He stopped right in front of me. I could smell alcohol, cigarettes, and shampoo on him.

"Blake Santiago."

"Could you please step back? Please."

"Ana, Ana. There's one thing you should know about me. I don't keep my promises."

"If I heard correctly, she asked you to take a step back," Chris appeared at the door.

"Ah, Christopher, how nice to see you!" Blake turned to Chris.

"For me, it is not that nice, Blake. Leave her alone."

"Why, is she your girlfriend?" the guy asked.

"No, but she explicitly asked you to leave her alone."

"You're such a party pooper! I just want to have some fun while I still can. You know, enjoy my last days before I die because of this shit. I just offered the same to her."

"I don't need your offer, asshole. Furthermore, you reek of alcohol. You're drunk."

Blake looked back at me, but he didn't appear angry or disappointed; rather, it seemed like I had piqued his interest even more.

"Seriously, Blake. She is Will's daughter. I know you don't want to mess with her," Chris continued.

"I wouldn't have thought she looks this good!"

Leon and Mark entered the kitchen simultaneously, both looking angry.

"Blake!" Mark exclaimed.

"That's enough," Leon said at the same time.

Blake then took a step back.

"Okay, okay. Got it. Why do you always have to ruin everything?" Shaking his head, he left the kitchen.

"Ana, are you okay?" they asked at the same time.

"Yes, thank you. Who the hell was that?"

"Blake Santiago. Strong, good fighter, he's in my team, but when he's off duty, he does nothing but collect women and men for the night. Usually, he spends one night with them, then looks for the next one. Sometimes, if someone captures his attention more, he meets them several times."

"I just saw him with a woman about half an hour ago. He wanted me to join them."

"Wow. Two at once?" Mark asked, horrified.

"He said earlier that he wants to enjoy his last days. Probably thinks he won't survive the battle."

"Yet he's one of my best fighters. I'm sure he won't kick the bucket so easily."

"By the way, I was specifically looking for you, Ana," Mark said. "I hoped Daniel would be with you."

"He was with me, but some guy named Ethan wanted to talk to him."

"Ethan?" Leon asked.

Could there be more than one Ethan in their team?

"Ethan, from your team. Daniel said he was there today when your team came for us."

Leon and Mark exchanged a worried look.

"Ana, there's no one in my team named Ethan."

"But...he said..."

Mark rushed out of the room.

"Ana, when exactly did Daniel leave?"

"Not long ago, maybe ten minutes..."

"Then they couldn't have gone very far. Phone...damn it! We haven't given you phones yet. Did he have any weapon with him?"

He didn't have anything. We didn't expect anything bad in here. Leon, what is all this about?

"No..."

Alex burst through the door, his hair tousled by the wind. He must have been running, as he was catching his breath. Worry and fear were evident on his face as he scanned us, then his gaze settled on me. He looked straight into my eyes, and silently mouthed a word.

Daniel.

As I got closer, he grabbed my arm and started pulling me out of the building.

Luna

After Ana and Daniel finished their speech, and the hall became bustling again—dancing couples, loud conversations, children running around—I needed some fresh air and a bit of solitude. There was a door to a terrace near the stage. Leaning against the railing, I gazed at the houses in the distance.

"Luna? Can I talk to you and your sister later?"

William Lewis. Somehow, he felt familiar. Like I've seen him somewhere, but I have no idea where. What does he want to discuss with us? Perhaps he recognizes me too? Could he have known my father in the past?

"Am I disturbing you?" The boy's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I hadn't heard him approaching, lost in my contemplations. Daniel's identical twin—only distinguishable by his slightly shorter stature, brown hair, and build.

I shook my head, offering him the space he sought if he wished to linger.

Turning back toward the row of houses, we both leaned against the railing of the terrace. The noise from the hall faded, replaced by the calming sounds of the night.

"Had enough of the crowd too?" he asked.

A nod conveyed my agreement. "I'm not accustomed to it. Large gatherings make me uneasy. I prefer the intimacy of smaller groups."

We stood together in a companionable silence, gazing into the distance.

"I haven't properly introduced myself. I'm Noah Clark," he spoke again.

"Luna Edwards," I replied, extending my hand, anticipating a handshake. Instead, he gently held my hand, bringing it to his lips, planting a soft, unexpected kiss.

"Luna," he murmured, keeping hold of my hand near his mouth. I never thought that hearing my name would make me feel this way. Noah's gaze penetrated deep into my eyes as my pulse quickened, and an odd warmth coursed through my body. "The name 'Luna' means Moon. Your eyes have the same shade as the Moon. Beautiful."

Before I could react, Mark rushed out the door, visibly terrified, tears were streaming down his face.

"Daniel...,"

 Noah was already running. I sprinted after them, joining Lisa and Kiara on the way. Ahead, I saw Alex and Ana, closely followed by Leon and Chris, bursting out of the building. Sarah and Piper noticed us, and now all of us were running together, apprehensive about what awaited us.

Ana

Alex led me into the trees not far from the building. From a distance, I could already see Oliver kneeling in front of something.

Please, don't let it be him!

As we got closer, we slowed down, mainly because my legs couldn't bear it anymore. My whole body trembled with fear, sadness, and disbelief. Despite Alex holding my hand tightly, his touch still felt distant.

I couldn't move. I couldn't take another step toward the motionless body lying on the ground. There was blood everywhere, so much blood!

"No," my voice sounded distant. "It can't be."

I took a deep breath, but it didn't calm my racing heart. The unbearable pain tore through my chest.

"It can't be true," I whispered again, almost inaudibly.

"Ana," Alex began.

"I don't want to hear it!" I wanted to scream, but only a quiet, hoarse sound came out.

"He's dead." said Oliver.

Dead

Dead

Dead

This one word echoed in my head.I just stood there, stiff, with an empty gaze, as my world collapsed around me.

I collapsed to my knees next to Daniel's blood-soaked body. Alex knelt beside me, still holding my hand with one hand and wrapping his arm around my shoulder with the other. The others slowly gathered around me. There were Sarah and Piper, along with Chris. Sarah covered her mouth with her hand as soon as she saw the boy. My brother stood somewhere near me; I couldn't see him, but I felt his presence. Elise, Mark, and Noah also crouched on the ground. Everyone looked at Daniel as if it were just a bad prank. No one wanted to believe it. In the corner of my eye, I spotted Kiara as well.

"He's dead," Oliver said again.

As if this were the final push everyone had been waiting for, tears welled up in everyone's eyes. Elise screamed. I crawled closer to Daniel's body. Now, I was kneeling in the red blood too.

In his blood.

The whole world stopped, and only pain, sorrow, and helplessness remained. Daniel, who was always there for me, now lay lifeless before me.

"It's my fault..." Alex whispered in my ear, his arms holding me tightly. "I know who did this. I knew he was here... I'm sorry, Ana, so sorry."

"No, he can't. He can't be dead. There must be a pulse somewhere..."

I shook off Alex's hands, not paying attention to what he just said. I leaned over the body and pressed my head against his chest. I felt nothing. I heard nothing. I tried to find his pulse, but there was nothing.

"Daniel... Daniel, listen to me. You can't do this to me... You can't do this to us... Daniel... please..."

The words choked in my throat. I could barely breathe. I sobbed on the boy's body, even when I heard nothing but my own sobbing, my own hoarse voice repeating his name. Arms embraced me again, but it didn't matter anymore.

Daniel's heart no longer beat. Daniel was dead.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

653 81 12
Our female lead Norah had a horrible life, she was abused and abandoned at a young age. She was never loved by those who was to be her family (except...
2.4M 99.7K 56
👑1 in Queen Series👑 (Warning: Dark themes & sexual assault) I will have you...all of you, Esmerleda," he said as his eyes raked over my body. I tr...
29 5 4
Aurelia always felt as though she didn't quite fit in. Ever since she was a child her parents despised her. They never showed an ounce of love or int...
53 5 4
Matt wanders back into Alexs's life... injured and babbling. Why is he here? Alex doesn't have time to argue, not with Matt's life on the line. Howev...