Forget Me, Love & Remembrance...

By ChatDies

[Twilight Short Stories] Forget Me, Love - Completed && Remembrance - Completed More

Remembrance:

Forget Me Love

11.8K 132 39
By ChatDies

Prologue:

In the year 1938, everything about my life changed. For better or worse, I wish I could say, but it goes back and forth for me. Things were different then, so different than they are in this day and age. I'd like to say that I miss the year 1938, when I was nothing more than a small town girl working on her father's farm, but I don't remember any of it. The only things I remember is what Caius told me, which wasn't much, admittedly.

I was turned at the age of barely seventeen after being run down by a horse in the middle of a cobbled street near the baker's shop. He said that a vampire had smelled my blood, tempted by it as I was his 'singer' and took me to a hidden alley.

I was nearly dead when another vampire knocked my maker off of me, and they left me to die there. Caius mentioned my creators name once, and I stored it away in my mind, so that one day, I could find him and thank him. James, of a Nomadic clan

I suppose some people would want to kill the one who made them into a monster, but I couldn't have ever been happier. My memories had been forgotten, I didn't know what I was missing out on, but I lived the high life for years and years, and never once did I regret becoming a monster.

In the year 1968, my life became better than I ever could've hoped. I met the Volturi, and I fell in love with the great city of Volterra, making it my home.

It was like my own Happily Ever After.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter One:

"Terra?" A soft, hesitant knock sounded at my solid oak door, and I groaned. Felix knew I didn't like to be interrupted, no matter what I was doing, so he had better hope that whatever the hell he wanted was important.

I jumped out of my window seat, where I had been looking at the beautiful city of Volterra for the last three hours, and marched towards the door before yanking it open.

My eyes looked straight ahead at Felix's wide, muscular chest before I craned my neck up to glare at him. "What do you want, Felix?"

"Marcus would like to speak to you." He spoke formally, with his hands behind his back and his legs spread at shoulder width. The stance of a soldier.

"Of course he does," I moaned, letting my shoulders fall to show how horrid I thought this would be. It's not that Marcus and I hated each other, in fact we loved each other very much.

It was the fact that we thought of each other as brother and sister, and therefore acted and fought as brother and sister. It was only with me that Marcus allowed himself to lose control and only with me that he could forget himself and stop being the 'perfect king'.

I walked down the halls of the castle that sat atop the hill overlooking my favorite city, my heels clicking on the marble flooring as I went.

"Terra!" Jane smiled as I came into view; she was guarding the throne room doors but immediately opened them for me.

"Jane." I acknowledged, smiling ever so slightly. But still, that small smile was more than any other person would get on the best of occasions.

'They're not in there, but Marcus wanted you to wait for him. He's eating at the moment."

I stepped inside, heading immediately to Aro's throne and plopping myself down onto it, a very unladylike thing to do, and if any of the kings had seen that, I'd have a nice long lecture, but nobody was watching, so I couldn't be bothered with being 'proper'.

I threw my legs over the arm of the wonderfully comfortable chair and leaned my back against the opposite side, tucking my hands behind my head. I kicked my feet, feeling empowered just sitting in this symbolic chair.

After several minutes, the throne room door opened, and the smell let me know it was Aro and Caius, but Marcus was nowhere by the scent of things.

"Bow before me, slaves." I keep the emotion off of my face as I turn to look at the two kings, although all I really wanted to do was smirk. Aro looked as collected as ever while Caius was grinning ear to ear. Without warning, each of them sunk into low bows, exactly how I had seen members of the Volturi guard bow before them.

"Uncle Aro," I pouted my bottom lip, knowing he loved it when I acted like an innocent girl, exactly what he wanted from a girl he thought of as his daughter...innocence. "I want a throne too! It's so cool sitting up here, now I know why you act like such pompous asses all the time, I feel so empowered!"

They gave each other knowing looks when I called them 'Pompous Asses' and even had the nerve to chuckle when I insulted them! Usually, that would've gotten anyone else a sound beating, specially from Jane, who strived to please her kings, yet all I got was laughter.

"It will be done." Aro sounded completely serious, although I was joking. He had to know that, right?

I didn't say anything else; instead I jumped out of his throne and stood beside it like any good guard would do.

"Marcus will be here shortly, Terra." I nodded, keeping my face carefully blank, not that Cauis or Aro would care if I showed emotion, I just chose not to. It made me feel stronger for some odd reason. Not five minutes later, Marcus strode through the double oak doors, his boots making a great amount of noise on the marble tiled flooring.

"How was dinner, Your Highness?" I questioned, looking perfectly curious.

"None of that, Terra. I very much dislike it when you call me that. It was wonderful, by the way. However...we'll need a new secretary." His grin was mischievous, but I didn't let that deter me.

"Not another one, really?" I may pretend to hate having to go into the city to find another girl to work for us, but in all honestly, I loved going out, and everyone knew that. Most of the vampires who lived in Volterra hated it, they preferred to stay in the palace and have servants wait on them hand and foot, but not me. I was different.

"That's why I wanted to speak to you. Find a girl, young but smart. I don't want a male this time, otherwise Jane will be too occupied to do her work, understood?"

"Yes, Marcus."

"Then go."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Two:

I walked through the beautiful streets of Volterra, looking for a specific girl that would fit Marcus' instructions as I couldn't find her yesterday. The question was, how young was 'young'. I doubted he wanted me to get some boy crazy teenager, but forty might be a bit too old. I figured anyone between the ages of twenty and thirty, someone who had already attended university, someone capable of being a secretary for my three kings.

I wasn't worried, per se, about finding the perfect specimen. I wouldn't be punished even if I brought back a twelve year old girl, but they would complain for days, and I really didn't want to have to deal with three spoilt kings any more than I already had to. Chuckling, I set my eyes on a woman who sat at a picnic table reading a book. She looked as if she could handle the job, so I walked up to her.

"Hi! I don't suppose you're looking for a job, are you?"

The lady glanced at me before turning back to her book while shaking her head, "No, I'm sorry but I'm not."

Rude, much? Glaring at her, I sat on the bench opposite her and took the book out of her hands. She faced me once again, except this time when her eyes caught mine, I put my special ability into effect.

-Take the job, you really need the money.-

I broke the eye contact for a moment before turning back to her, "So, what about that job offer? Will you take it?"

"Of course, I'd love a job! How much does it pay?"

~*~*~*~*~

I think her name was Melany...or maybe it was Melissa. At any rate, I'm fifty percent sure it started with an M or an N... or a G maybe. Not that it made a difference to me either way.

"Terra?"

"You may enter, Jane."

Her petite form stepped through my bedroom door, long blonde hair flowing behind her elegantly. "Aro wants you in the Throne Room, he says it's imperative that you come as soon as possible."

There she stood, obviously not leaving until I either told her to or I followed her back out. Choosing the latter, I sighed heavily before gracefully jumping off of the window seat and searching for my shoes. They weren't in the corner, nor my closet, not in my bathroom.

"Check under the bed."

I chuckled, remembering kicking them their last night and snatched them up before shoving my tiny feet into them. Usually I wore heels, but today, I couldn't be bothered and preferred my ballet flats. The only reason I ever wore heels was so that I could feel taller, yet today, I wanted to be short.

"Lead the way, Lady Jane."

I smiled secretively, the inside joke being that Jane is nowhere near a lady. In fact, she was more of the palace whore than anything and though she could be a complete b!tch most times. However, I still found her fun to be around.

As we approached the throne room, I could hear light voices talking, but couldn't quite make out what they were saying. I walked in, not bothering to knock, I barged right in as if I owned the place. Again, that would get anyone else punished, and only I could get away with it.

What caught my attention first was where Aro's scarlet throne usually resided, a brand new, emerald green one sat. The scarlet colored one instead was directly next to it, with Marcus' to the right of it, and Caius' to the left of the green one.

The three kings stood in the center of the room, looking at me as if awaiting something...only I didn't know what.

"What's with the, uh, new chair?"

"You wanted one, correct? I told you I would get one."

"Uncle Aro! I was joking! I didn't honestly expect you to do it. I'm not meant to be- I mean, I can't-I don't-"

I was cut off by Aro after much stuttering. I usually wasn't so informal, I was normally calm and collected, but apparently not today.

"You are meant to, can and will be our queen, Terra. You wanted it and I provided, and the city of Volterra would love to have a queen, as would the Volturi. Now sit, and test it out."

I stared at the Volturi kings and smiled hesitantly before gracefully sitting in the seat. It was definitely comfortable. "Thank you."

"Quite welcome, my dear. Now come, it's dinner time."

---------------------------------------------------

Chapter Three:

As the months passed, nothing much had happened, 2004 turned into 2005. As much as I liked the idea of being a 'princess' and sitting with my kings, I didn't do it very often. I preferred to stand behind them and protect them, as was my duty.

As it was, I stood behind Caius as Afton, a member of the Volturi guard, explained why he had needed an appointment to talk with the kings.

"Masters," he bowed, making me smirk. I never had to do that, being the spoiled girl that I was, "It seems that a member of the Olympic coven has killed another vampire, James, a member of a nomadic clan."

Aro's expression turned sour, "That doesn't sound like something Carlisle would allow his 'children'," he spat the last word in his sentence before continuing, "to do."

"It seems that James was hunting a human and in order to protect the human, they attacked."

"Tsk Tsk. I suppose I'll have to find someone to go investigate. As it was Terra's maker, I believe that she should make the decisions."

My maker? Someone had murdered my maker?

Aro turned to me, while I took all of two seconds to think about it, then I touched his hand, trying to communicate with him without actually having to speak because my throat was burning, and all I wanted to do was hunt.

"Excellent idea, Princess," I scowled at the name before carefully rearranging all my features back to emotionless, "She'll go hunting, then her, Jane and Demitri shall go. Afton, get the jet readied."

He bowed before hurrying out of the throne room like a frightened puppy. He disgusted me. "We'll expect you back in an hour, Terra. Try not to eat too many people, or at least leave Volterra before you do."

I smiled, before racing through the corridors of the palace and towards the forest. A nice hiker or some such would be nice right around now.

~*~*~

For someone like me, a jet was just too slow to ride in, too boring. I was much too impatient for a ride like this.

In the end, it was decided that we (Jane, Demitri and I) would play Truth or Dare: Vamped Out.

"We're over the woods between Forks and Port Angeles, we'd better wrap this game up. Terra, I dare you...to jump out of the plane."

I took in a deep breath that I didn't need before walking into the cockpit to inform Felix (who was acting as co-pilot) what I was about to do.

"Just try not to hurt yourself too bad, Ter, I'd prefer to live another couple of centuries at least before Aro decides to kill me."

Grinning, I pushed the door to the jet open, watching in amusement as the wind whipped it off pretty quickly, and turned to look at Demetri and Jane. "I'll see you guys later!" I waved before jumping out backwards and the smile didn't leave my face until I was about a hundred feet from the forest floor. Turning slightly, I braced myself before I landed heavily on my feet, shaking the ground easily.

I went to stare up at the plane, and with my enhanced vision I managed to see Demetri being pushed out of the plane by Jane, as he was laughing at me. She followed not too soon after, but neither landed anywhere near me. I sniffed the air, trying to get a feel for their coordinates, only to realize that not even fifteen feet away, three vampires stood watching me.

Their eyes are what caught my attention. Amber which meant Veggie Vamps. I smirked at them slightly before dipping my head in acknowledgment. "Sorry for just...dropping in on you. It was a dare."

The bigger of the males had a booming laugh, which made my sensitive ears ring but it was also very contagious, causing a full-blown grin, which only Marcus had ever seen before. "I want to play her kind of games next time," the vampire muttered, looking amused.

He had short black hair, broad shoulders and ears just slightly too big for his face, but still he was handsome, I'd have to admit that. He had a sort of boyish charm.

The one on his right had bronze colored hair, high cheekbones, and was still muscular though the first one was taller than him by at least four inches. The third one had curly blonde-gold hair; his arms and face had scars marring them, causing him to look beyond lethal.

"I am Terra, and you are?" Just before any of them could answer, Demetri and Jane ran out of the trees, tackling me.

Snarls ripped through the air, causing all three of us to freeze what we were doing. The three men weren't glaring or growling at me, but rather my two companions who they seemed to think had hurt me.

This would be interesting, I thought to myself as I smiled.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Four:

Demitri lifted his muscular form off of me, while Jane glared at the three unknown males before us.

-Relax Jane, you don't want to hurt them, they could be of use to us-

Having already been under my influence several times before, she was used to it, which was the only downside to my powers. I could only use it on a person or vampire a certain amount of times before it became obvious that the thoughts weren't their own but rather mine.

When that time came around, people usually started getting irritated.

Jane had a bit of a temper on her, and I watched as she jerked her head around and turned her glare onto me. I crushed my jaws together, refusing to let out the ragged scream that my body demanded me to voice as Jane started her torture-power. It took less that a second for Demetri to knock the small vampire to the ground, causing Jane's power to immediately stop, but it didn't feel fast enough.

I ignored them both, turning my eyes back towards the three vampire boys, pretending as if I hadn't just been put under Jane's power. I was strong, there was no need for emotions, they were for the weak. There was no point in showcasing my pain.

"We're looking for a Dr. Carlisle Cullen, have you heard of him?"

Instantly, the three of them were on guard, their eyes narrowing warily, no doubt wondering what I wanted exactly. The bronze haired boy concentrated on me for several seconds before shaking his head.

"We won't take you," he muttered, just loud enough to where I could hear it but Jane and Demetri couldn't as they were still arguing amongst themselves. Some guards they were.

I cocked my eyebrow, looking to the other two to see if they agreed with the bronze-haired one.

"Edward," he said suddenly.

"Say what?"

"My name is Edward, not "the bronze haired one". This is Jasper," he pointed to the golden haired on who had scars across him. "This is Emmett." The handsome one with ears which are too big. Adorable, like a teddy bear.

"So...you're a mind reader, I assume?"

Edward nodded, "What are you?" Demetri and Jane had finally stopped arguing, and decided it was best if they actually did their job, and so they took up posts behind me.

"Thought projector, a compulsion of sorts. What of your brothers?" I was wary of the three vampires, though I honestly had no reason to be. Jane herself could easily stop them in their tracks and having them screaming, practically begging for death and mercy.

I grimaced at that thought; I truly did not want that to happen.

"Emmett has unusual strength and Jasper is an empath."

Even though I didn't need to, I took a deep breath and slowly released it. A mind reader and an empath.

"Take me to Dr. Cullen. I have been sent by Aro of the Volturi, to deny me is to deny them."

I kept my face devoid of emotion, as I was so good at doing, and now that I knew that Edward was a mind reader, I kept my mind unnaturally blank as well, which seemed to stump him as to why he could read my mind a few minutes ago, and then suddenly couldn't.

Resisting the urge to smirk, I stared at the three of them as they talked so quietly that we couldn't even hear them in the least, not even a whisper in the wind. For several minutes they continued conversing, ignoring us, treating us as if we weren't even across the field from them, and right as Jane was undoubtedly about to lose her temper and attack them, they spoke up.

"We will take you, as long as we have your word that you will not kill anyone," The blonde one, Jasper, stated as he stared me down. Somehow, without even trying, he had made me feel like a small girl, and insecure.

Shaking myself out of those types of thoughts I quickly agreed. This trip was not made for killing, this was to find out who had killed my Maker, and why. The worst we'd be doing was taking them to Volterra.

I wouldn't be killing them...Aro would.

I giggled, following them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Five:

The house was empty. Jane, I could tell by her erect posture, was worried that it may be a trap. Demitri however, could tell that nobody was around, therefore it couldn't be a trap. No way could the three of them beat the three of us, so we had no reason to worry one bit.

"Carlisle is at work; Esme, Alice, and Rosalie are shopping in Port Angeles but they'll be back shortly."

I nodded, showing that I'd heard. "So you are members of the Olympic coven, correct?"

Emmett agreed quickly, while the other two seemed hesitant to answer my questions at all. We were showed inside and after a few uncomfortable minutes, Edward excused himself to call Dr. Cullen. Emmett and Jasper sat on opposite ends of a couch, leaving us three Volturi to sit together on another couch all together.

"Carlisle will be here in a quarter of an hour, he asks you to wait before starting to ask any questions you may have."

"He'd better hurry, I'm getting hungry," Jane pouted prettily, and I watched amused as the little whore tried to flirt subtly with the three veggie vampires. Needless to say, it didn't work in the least, only the naive would fall for Jane's advances.

I ignored her, instead focusing on Demitri who looked bored, but still managed to stay in the perfect position for protecting me should Edward, Jasper or Emmett get any ideas. After all, I was nearly one hundred percent sure that Demitri and Jane were sent to watch after me. The joys of being a "queen" I suppose.

"Queen?"

I hadn't even realized that I had let my guard down, and now Edward had read my mind and knew my secret. It was bound to come out soon, anyways, I should be happy that it was earlier on, I suppose. I planned on answering him, but before I could even finish opening my mouth, Jane jumped in, looking ecstatic to have a reason to talk and make her the center of attention.

"Yes. Aro made Terra a Queen to their Kings." Her eyes danced, as they gazed upon the bronze-haired beauty, so unlike her usual coldness that filled them. Flirting. Only it would do no good, because even I could see how uninterested he was in her. Instantly, any minuscule amount of trust I had gained from them was dashed away once they'd heard. Their golden eyes hardened perceptibly, even the humorous Emmett was beyond serious.

Sighing, I turned to her before glaring.

-Shut up, Jane.- I used my power over her, though I knew it would do no good. It was almost as well as talking in her mind however, so I used it to my advantage.

"Yes well. It was completely by accident; I didn't think Aro would take me seriously! Saying 'I want a throne' doesn't exactly mean 'go out and get me a throne, I want to be a queen'!" My temper was rising, I could feel myself getting angrier. Not at Aro, but because I had to explain myself to the veggies, when if Jane could've just kept her mouth shut, I wouldn't have had to.

The moment I realized that my anger could get the best of me, I shut down my emotions, closing them easily behind a brick wall where nobody could see them...or feel them. Jasper looked on, amazed, apparently, as he realized that he could no longer feel my emotions pouring off of me by the bucketload, and I chuckled. It was dry, emotionless, but it was still a laugh (of sorts) and that was something not many people saw of me.

I could hear a car, one I assumed to be Dr. Cullens, pull into the driveway and I smiled. Time to find out why, exactly, my maker was killed in order to protect a human.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Six:

"You're telling me that you killed a vampire because he was hunting?"

"No! We're saying we killed him because he was trying to kill Bella!" Edward growled, his face no longer poised but rather filled with an intense hatred.

"You realize killing another vampire is a criminal offense, don't you? Better yet, you killed him for a human who now knows about vampires, another offense." I stated these facts calmly though on the inside I was dying to hurt someone. My maker, the one who gave me this extraordinary life was dead, and because he tried to kill a human girl. Surely the Olympic coven knew they could die for that, right?

"We're perfectly aware of the offenses, but Bella is Edward's mate and will be turned," Dr. Cullen mentioned, beyond serious.

"See that she does."

"Terra!" Jane came in, looking pissed off beyond belief with a crushed phone in her hand. "Aro already knows about the human girl. The new receptionist that you picked out said that Demitri and I were to return to Volterra. You however, will remain here until the girl is either changed or taken care of."

Edward's snarl ripped through the air before Jane was concentrating her glare on him. Even I, who was not an empath, could feel the pain radiating off of him. Jumping into action, I tackled the idiotic vampire before she could get out of hand.

"Leave immediately Jane, you have five seconds to get out of my sight!" My voice was low and calm but undoubtedly dangerous. She could have gotten not only herself killed but Demetri as well, she had no right to put anyone else in danger. Nor did she have the right to attack someone without my command.

The moment she was gone, I turned towards the Cullens. The females of the house still hadn't shown up but all four men were in front of me looking intimidating.

"I don't expect you to 'take care of her'. I don't care how long it takes you to change her and I certainly don't care that she's human, as long as she is turned. However, if you kill another vampire without Aro's consent then you'll be bringing the wrath of the Volturi upon yourselves, and none of you want that, I promise you," I threatened, my ruby red eyes darkening with anger.

None of them seemed remotely fearful, which gained my respect despite the fact that I never willingly gave it out. Even Aro didn't have my respect...the only other person who had it was Marcus.

I smiled before turning towards the exit. "I'll be around."

***

As the days passed, I spent my time locked away in some posh hotel room in Port Angeles. I did not feed as I normally would've, instead I bid my time until I had no other choice but to run towards Seattle to get a meal. I didn't want to risk hunting near Forks, there were so few people there that just one going missing would cause too much attention.

Only twice in a week did I bother hunting, something I wasn't used to. Normally it was every second day but that was doable.

On Saturdays I would go visit the Olympic coven, sometimes Dr. Cullen and I would converse about anything from human diseases to eating habits. Esme, his wife, was a sweetheart as I later learned and it was impossible to even have a bit of dislike inside of me for her.

Alice was very...pixie-like, to say the least. She was hyper and excitable, loved to shop and she had the gift of precognition. Rosalie was a bitch, plain and simple. Probably the reason I liked her so much, though we had nothing in common and didn't speak to each other often. The guys were harder to read and get along with, however, most especially the blonde haired one. Jasper.

Beautiful, undoubtedly, but deadly beyond belief.

He wasn't one to be reckoned with and he never spoke to me, much preferring to ignore me and go on with life as if I was never there. Edward didn't spend much time with his family, spending days at school and nights at the human girls house. The other male of the family, Emmett was amazing. If I wasn't sure that he was mated to Rosalie then I'd be sure that he was my own mate but as it was, he was more like a brother.

A big, stupid, immature bear-eating, bitch-loving brother.

He was the only one out of the family to come visit at the hotel where I stayed at night and day. It was nice to finally have company that didn't treat you as if you were either a Queen or an outcast. To be treated normally.

I could be spoiled when I wanted to be, I could be dangerous if I so chose but in the comfort of my own room and around people I trusted, I just wanted to be Terra. Unfortunately the only people I trusted thus far were Emmett and Marcus, so I didn't get to be 'Just Terra' very often.

That's what happens when you're the King's favorite or a queen.

Nobody is trustworthy.

-----------------------------------------------------

Chapter Seven:

"No."

"Please?"

"Absolutely not."

"Come on Terra, pleeeeeeease!"

"I said no!"

"How come?" Emmett whined, sounding like a spoiled rotten four year old.

"Because I am a queen, and queens do not fight with overgrown bears." I sniffed daintily, jutting my chin into the air.

Jasper and Edward chuckled in the background causing me to turn over towards them. I hadn't really talked to them much the last couple of months that I'd been in Forks, Washington and I'd certainly never heard them chuckle or laugh before.

Before I'd turned away from them, I was tackled from the side and pushed forcefully into the ground by the giant oaf of a man. "Please, Terra?" His giant golden orbs are what compelled me to agree to fight with him, they were pleading with me silently and it was simply impossible to say no to Emmett Cullen.

*

Wrapping my jean clad legs around his hips, I rolled so that I had him pinned onto the ground before jumping off of him and backing away a few steps. Jasper and Edward looked on in interest, no doubt wondering who would win between us. I could win, very easily in fact, but I wasn't going to use my powers against him, it would be too unfair of a fight. If I was going to win, which was doubtful, then I wanted to do it with my actual combat abilities.

I could hear Edward whispering my thoughts into Jasper's ear, which meant Emmett could undoubtedly hear him as well, and so I closed off my thoughts and emotions, going by instinct alone.

Dodging Em's next tackle, I threw my foot out into his back sending him stumbling forward and smirked. Was he even trying?

***

No. No he most certainly wasn't trying. I was beaten... quite easily, I might add, and he wouldn't stop boasting about how he beat the "Queen of the Vampires".

After only half an hour, I'd had enough of his bragging and smacked him upside the head as I'd seen many human siblings do before in my lifetime. Unfortunately, it seemed to be right as his wife, Rosalie, walked into the room, and before I knew it, I had been jumped up on and bitten by her.

Obviously she thought I had attacked her husband, she didn't much care for me and I knew for a fact that she didn't trust me as far as a human child could throw me. Pushing her off of me, I fought the pain that her venom caused and watched as Japser jumped up to grab a hold of her.

"How dare you hit my husband?"

"Rosie, we were just playing around babe. Chill." Emmett soothed, walking over towards her and gathering her into his arms. My normally beyond perfect vision blurred for a few moments before evening out again. It was painful, the fire raced through my system much like the 'change' did but I didn't let out a single whimper or moan.

"I think it's best if I leave now. Good night Cullens."

I left without a backwards glance, not running as I knew I could but rather walking silently through the trees that surrounded the Cullen's beautiful home as the venom caused fire to race through my frozen veins.

In many aspects that house was better than any palace that the Volturi could live in. Everyone room was occupied, the house constantly had people talking. It was like a real family home, unlike the place where Aro and his minions resided. Sure, Marcus and Demetri and even Felix were like brother's to me, even Aro and Caius had their moments. Most of the time, however, my smiles were fake, my laughs were forced and my thoughts were not my own.

With the Cullen's, it was like being in Utopia after living in hell for centuries, like a breath of fresh air after being asphyxiated. It was perfect.

"Terra."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Eight:

The calling of my name had me jerking around, already in a defensive position and reading to attack in a moments notice. Looking around, I immediately noticed the vampire standing only forty feet away. How I hadn't scented him was a mystery, though I was probably wrapped up in my own thoughts and hadn't been on the lookout.

That kind of behavior was a death sentence and I needed to learn to be more observant.

"Jasper, what can I help you with?" I questioned politely, going back to cradling my injured arm. It'd be healed within the next half hour but that didn't stop the pain in the least.

"I came to make sure you were all right. I know what it feels like to be bitten and I know that it's not exactly comfortable."

"I'll be fine, do not worry yourself."

We stood there in a comfortable silence until he ran up to me, gently grabbing my hand and examining it. "You're healing faster than a normal vampire, Terra."

"It's the training," I muttered, staring down at our entwined hands as he slowly released me.

I'd never trusted anyone enough to bring up my 'training' but Jasper seemed to emit an aura of being trustworthy...it made me want to tell him all my secrets. It was something that you simply couldn't ignore. I made the choice to trust him with something that I'd never trusted anyone else with.

"It wasn't long after I'd become a newborn that Aro recruited me. Back then, I was simply a new toy, a pawn he could use for his own gain as he wished. Slowly, as I spent more time in the castle, Marcus grew a sort of brotherly attachment to me and I began to climb the royalty ladder. Before I could become a direct guard for the Kings, I needed to be able to fight and to be able to withstand attack. and so Aro and Caius made a plan."

Jasper looked towards me with polite interest though his eyes belied his actual emotion. Anger. Why he was angry, I had no idea and I wasn't quite sure I wanted to know either. "Please, continue Terra."

"They told everyone that I wanted to go away for a couple of years and that Jane would be accompanying me on my travels. Then they took me to a more southern part of Italy called Metera where there were abandoned homes carved into the hillside, like a house built into a cave."

I stopped, rubbing my face like a tired human would do. I felt exhausted, as if I could actually sleep and I didn't understand the feeling. I hated it.

"Marcus would've never allowed it to happen if he would have known so I was commanded to keep it a secret and for two years Jane and I stayed in the hillside home. Aro and Cauis would alternate visits every other week and then the training started. For days on end Jane would torture me with her powers, trying to make it so that I could withstand an attack and still fight back. When Aro and Caius would come, they'd bite me, leaving me to suffer for days at a time through it. Eventually, I became almost immune to another vampire's venom and it began to heal faster and faster the more often I was bitten. When those two years were finished, Jane could use her full power on me and I would barely flinch, I learned to keep my pain on the inside and if I did then everything would be all right."

I watched as my arm finished healing before looking back up at the blonde haired vampire before me. His eyes blazed with anger though I didn't ask why. It wasn't my business, to say the least.

"Show me your scars."

Any other vampire and I would have bristled at his command before most likely killing him, but with Jasper, there didn't seem to be a need. I held no anger for him telling me what to do, and I pulled my shirt over my head without a second thought. I wasn't ashamed of my body despite all of my scars and though I'd never showed my scars to anyone else before, I had trust in Jasper that he wouldn't be disgusted by me.

"Come back to the house with me please, Terra." Gently, he grabbed my hand after I'd shoved my shirt back over my head and began pulling me back towards the Cullen home...I felt no need to resist.

The moment I walked through the door a pair of thickly muscled arms wrapped around me, picking me up and spinning me around. Luckily vampires couldn't get dizzy.

"Are you okay?"

Despite the arms being attached to Emmett, it wasn't he who had asked the question, but rather Rosalie herself. Freezing, I stared at her to make sure I wasn't about to be jumped upon again before nodding my head.

"I'm fine, I can't even feel it anymore," I muttered.

Dr. Cullen looked questioning before he spoke, "It takes more than half an hour to heal from a vampire bite, Terra."

Of course he would know that, he's been bitten as well, I'm sure. Looking towards Jasper yet still speaking to Carlisle, I shrugged. "I'm a fast healer."

Edward as well was staring at Jasper, the golden coloring in his eyes growing darker by the second, and I knew he was reading his brother's mind. The moment I left, every Cullen would know about the secret that I'd only told one person about.. I hadn't thought about that happening. Jasper couldn't hide his thoughts quite like I could.

I couldn't decide if that was bad or good...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Nine:

For over two weeks I didn't go back to the Cullen's house, instead I figured out something else to do which mainly consisted of checking out Port Angeles and hunting. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to do except walk around the small area. I'd started hunting animals though, my subconscious telling me I should, because suddenly, my red eyes hadn't seemed so beautiful anymore, gold would look much better; my mind told me so. My scar littered body didn't seem as perfect as I once thought it was and looking at my scars disgusted me when they used to make me feel stronger. I knew why, too.

Jasper.

*_*_*

Groaning, I sat up from the bed I had been lying on. I was just thinking about the Cullens when my mind focused on one specifically. Getting out of the bed, I walked towards the mirror that was attached to a dresser.

I'd never had a problem with feeling inferior but compared to Rosalie, Esme or Alice, I was a troll. What did it matter whether or not I looked good? I was here on business...soon, very soon in fact, I would be going back to live with the Volturi.

A knocking at the door seemed to jolt me out of my thoughts and I turned towards the door.

"Terra! Open up!"

Grinning, I ran to the door, throwing it open for Emmett and looking on in silence as not only Em but his wife, Alice, Edward and Jasper all filed through the door. What did they possible come for?

"Why have you been avoiding us?" Emmett asked, a pout splayed onto his face, making his eyes seem wide and innocent. He was much too good at the 'puppy dog' face, that was for sure.

"I haven't been," I answered cooly, looking into his eyes. I'd always been nearly pro at lying but doing so to Emmett was taking me on a guilt trip.

"Uh-huh, sure you haven't. But whatever, that's not why we're here, we're here to ask for your help. James' mate, Victoria, is trying to get revenge for him. She wants to kill Bella."

I'd long gotten over the fact that my maker was killed because of the human girl.

Bella was a sweet girl, too shy to have been hunted by a bloodthirsty vampire and more of a follower than a leader. If I had known Bella before I knew of James being my maker, I probably would have murdered him for her as well, if I was being honest with myself.

"I'll help."

---

After getting in touch with Aro through Jane, I finally got the approval of the Volturi to help track and kill Victoria, my maker's mate. The only drawback being that as soon as I was finished, I was ordered to return home.. but I didn't mention that.

"Okay, Aro has approved my request. I'll be able to stay here and help to protect Bella."

Alice jumped up and down excitedly, though I'm sure with her precognition she already saw it coming. Edward smiled a very crooked smile before thanking me for agreeing to help as did Dr. and Mrs. Cullen. Emmett grinned whole-heartedly while Rose simply looked slightly thankful. I got the vibe from her that she didn't much care for little Bella.

"I should be going back now, I'll come by in the morning and we can start getting a strategy ready," I muttered, turning away from all the appreciation that I didn't deserve. In front of all these people, in front of the Cullens, I was simply a monster.

I'd never thought of myself as such before meeting these vampires, but they were so good. So kind and sweet. I wasn't. Compared to them, I would only ever be a monster. Doing one good thing doesn't change that fact.

Edward stared at me, sympathy or pity shining in his eyes and I immediately shut off my thoughts, effectively blocking him from reading them, or Jasper from feeling my emotions of self-hate. I wouldn't burden these pure people with my problems.

"Good night, Cullens."

I ran to the woods behind the Cullen's house before deciding to go hunting. My golden eyes were bright and easily seen, yet nobody had noticed or bothered to mention them. They probably couldn't bother to really look to notice the difference, and I couldn't really blame them.

Two deer later, I caught the smell. Wet dog? Crinking my nose in disgust, I backtracked until I could no longer smell the scent before heading back towards my hotel room. It was time to camp out a bit.

***

"With hair dye, using her shampoo and conditioner, plus her clothes, we should be able to trick Victoria into believing that I am Bella. It's the easiest way to do something like this."

"No."

My eyes widened. I didn't expect anyone to disagree with this plan, it was nearly fool proof!

"Excuse me? Why not?"

"It would be foolish to let you go on your own, you should have someone, or preferably two someones with you," Jasper stated, his eyes perfectly serious.

"Yes, because she'll come near me when I have two other vampires watching over me, that's really smart. I'm perfectly capable of taking her on myself. I have my power for backup if anything were to go wrong."

In truth, though I knew I could take her, I wanted someone to come along for the 'just in case' but I wouldn't put a single one of the Cullens in that kind of danger when I knew for a fact that I wouldn't have a problem with this mission.

It was what would happen afterwards that I was fearing.

Leaving.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Ten:

Rather sooner than later, Aro had said. I, personally, would've preferred later. Prolonging this adventure seemed a good idea, it meant I got to stay in Forks, Washington even longer but unfortunately that choice had been taken away from me.

Which left me here, sporting Bella Swan's scented shampoo, clothes and hair color. I felt..human, which wasn't good at all, it was rather gross and hungering. I hadn't fed in a bit over four days, leaving me practically starved for blood and at this point, I didn't care if it was human or animal.

But I could deal with it. There were humans in the houses just across from me on either side, and thankfully I hadn't felt the urge to give into my inner beast and masacre one of the families. I just needed to keep that up, there's no telling what would happen to me if I killed one of these families. Aro might murder me for exposing vampires, the Cullen's might do the same for killing what could be their friends behind those doors. That's not something I wanted to go through.

Aro killing me would be filled with pain and torture, while the Cullen's would be filled with betrayal. I don't think I could deal with either of those.

Sensing the presence of another vampire close by, I pulled up the hood on Bella's jacket and made sure any possibly exposed skin was hidden so that Victoria wouldn't be able to notice how much paler "Bella" suddenly was. This had to be executed perfectly, if Victoria got away then there's no telling what could happen.

"Why so sad, little human?"

Grinning, I forced myself to freeze as if suddenly terried, my shoulders hunched and I gasped for the breath I didn't need. Perfectly.

"Look at me as I'm speaking to you," her voice was soft, demanding and I could hear her approach though any human wouldn't have been able to so I didn't move.

Her hand came down on my shoulder, strong enough that it would've shattered the entire shoulder if I had actually been Bella, as it was, it was enough to push me down onto my knees. Grunting, I pushed myself back up before turning towards the vampire with bright red hair. Flaming.

-Hold still and dont move. You want to be torn to pieces.-

Victoria, thankfully, wasn't immune to my power and so she froze, her body unmoving. Her eyes burned with hatred and malice, enough so that I shivered. She was worse than Aro in that aspect.

Focused as I was, it wasn't until they were right upon us that I smelt that unfamiliar wet dog stench. As they ran out of the woods and surrounded us, I wondered if my human scent of Bella would mask the vampire scent that I knew would be radiating through right about now. Wolf shifters. It didn't matter how strong I was, they could beat me, unless I could manage using my powers on all five of them at once.

Not likely.

This is defintely not going to plan.

I groaned internally. I had finally found a place that I felt like I belonged, not that the Cullen's necessarily felt the same, and now it was beyond likely that a bunch of mongrels would rip me to shreds.

What a nice way to end this existence.

Time wasn't wasted, as four of them jumped onto the flaming haired vampiress. No screams sounded, and she stayed perfectly still as the dogs tore her apart and even I could see that they were stunned that it was made so easy.

The fifth wolf walked over towards me and I automatically tilted my head away so that it couldn't see my face. This could end very badly if I wasn't perfectly careful. I could run, but they'd follow me anywhere after figuring out that I wasn't a human and granted that I could most likely run to the Cullen's , I didn't want to bring a pack of shifter-wolves to their doorstep. I didn't want to bring them any danger, they had enough to worry about.

"Terra!" Three different voices called out as the scent of three vampires, all of them familiar, hit my nose.

Turning towards the original Cullen's I had originally met with Demetri and Jane, I found myself smiling at their concern. Emmett pushed me behind him, as if I needed protecting, which I suppose I did while Jasper and Edward seemed to speak to the wolves. I suppose Edward's mindreading power would come in handy with that.

"She was helping us to get rid of the vampire after Bella," Edward stated, his stance showing that he was ready for an attack but not willing to attack first and a calm serenity seemed to surround us, curtesy of Jasper, I am sure.

After several minutes of Edward looking as if he was talking to himself, Emmett turned to me, seemingly bored of the conversation.

His golden eyes checked me over, looking for an injury that he wouldn't find before gathering me into a hug. Awkward. "Happy to see that the dogs didn't kill you, you're lucky Alice saw this happening. Or rather, didn't see this coming. She can't see the future when the wolves are around, which is how we knew that they would be here."

In my head, I agreed wholeheartedly with Emmett but I'd never say so outloud.

Jasper turned to me, his eyes sparkling and even though I was no mind reader, I knew that in his mind were the words 'I told you so'.

This whole deal could have been avoided if I had simply let Jasper, Edward or Emmett tag along, but then Victoria might not have come and she wouldn't be dead, ripped to shreds in front of me at this exact moment. If they hadn't shown up when they did, it might've been me and my body parts next to this disgusting excuse of a vampire.

I've never owed somebody like I owed the Cullen's.

Abruptly, the wolves seemed to turn away and go back into the woods that they had previously come out of, and I felt myself relaxing slightly now that I didn't feel as threatened by their presence.

"Come on, Terra!" Emmett grabbed a hold of me and began dragging me back to his home where the rest of the family sat in wait. I couldn't help but to wonder if they would be glad to get rid of me, now that the job was done.

Most probably.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Eleven:

The moment Emmett dragged me through the door to the Cullen's house, Jasper and Edward following not far behind us, I was practically jumped upon by Alice, quickly followed by Bella herself as she thanked me repeatedly. For someone usually so quiet and shy-like, she seemed to be quite animated now.

Esme Cullen smiled softly as she gazed at me, her eyes filled with the same loving emotion that they held as she looked towards any one of her adopted children. But that wasn't possible, it must have all been in my mind.

"Thank you Terra, for helping our family."

"I didn't actually do anything. It was the wolves, the shifters, actually." I usually wasn't one to be modest, Aro would usually have me lie to Caius and Marcus about a deed that 'I' had done, so that he would have a reason to brag about his favorite Volturi Guard member. I was so used to taking credit for someone else's work that it became natural for me to do so, but here, in this home I couldn't and I wouldn't do it.

Still Esme smiled before walking closer and opening her arms for me. Hesitantly, I stepped into them. I'd never had a hug, not that I could remember. I'm sure that in my previous, human, life, I'd had plenty, but I couldn't remember them. The Volturi weren't ones for affections, and usually I wasn't either but it was really hard to say no to Esme, impossible really.

"You stay here as long as you want, Terra," she whispered into my ear, so softly that I doubted anyone could hear what she said.

Pulling back, I couldn't help but to smile at the offer before frowning.
"Now that I've done what I promised, I'll have to go back, Aro demanded it. I am a Queen, after all." Without my consent, my eyes wandered over to a certain blond vampire. He was talking quietly with Carlisle and not paying a speck of attention to me.

I could feel an odd, out-of-place melancholy feeling sweep over me before it was immediately replaced by a calmness. Jasper's eyes met mine for a split second as he smiled slightly, and then he turned back to Carlisle.

I'd never been more grateful for his gift of empathy before.

----

"When do you think you'll be required to return?"

Jerking out of my own thoughts, I realized that I hadn't even heard Jasper come up behind me, but somehow he was right there, without my ever knowing it. I'd been sitting on the steps of their front porch, my eyes taking in the beautiful green trees which surrounded their white and glass house. The house seemed so out of place here in what could have been pure wilderness, yet there it sat, perfectly clean and spotless. You'd never expect to find a house here, but I'm sure that that was what they wanted to begin with.

"I don't know. Soon, I imagine. I'll call Aro in a day or so and talk to him about it. If it was up to me, I'd stay here forever but I'm sure the most I'll be allowed to remain will be another week, maybe more, maybe less."

Jasper nodded, his eyes taking in the same greenery that I had been just moments before.

"I'm sure that if it were up to any of us Cullen's as well, we'd choose for you to stay here." Turning to smile at the blond vampire I felt an unnatural happiness well up inside of me; and by the sparkle in Jasper's eyes I knew he could sense it using his powers as well.

Neither of us said anything, instead we each seemed to be completely comfortable sitting in each other's company without talking. There were no awkward silences, simply a slight tension between us but perhaps that was only in my mind.

That scent of the wet dog, which I now recognized as shifters, wrapped itself around me and I automatically tensed for the attack. Jasper, smelling it too, no doubt, stood from the steps at the same moment I did, and while he was tensed up as well, he didn't seem to be expecting an attack.

"What are they doing here?"

"They were invited. Esme wants to thank them for their help."

Nodding, I sat back down though I was still ready for anything, I didn't want them to believe that I wanted to attack them, though honestly I did want to do just that. My nerves were on edge as they closed in and I nearly let my instincts to kill them take over when I saw the men walk out smelling disgusting and wearing cut-off shorts. If it weren't for the wave of peaceful calm that crashed over me, I might have. Smiling thankfully at Jasper, I turned back to watch closely as both vampires and shifters met in the yard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Twelve:

I kept my eyes firmly fixated on the trees behind the shifters, trying desperately not to stare at them in order to avoid a confrontation between them and I.

One of them, a rather large russet colored one, did not take his eyes off of me for more than a second. I could feel him practically burning a basketball sized hole in the side of my head. Edward spoke with them, translating their thoughts to Dr. Cullen but they were talking so softly that I couldn't hear them properly so after trying to eavesdrop for several moments, I finally gave up.

I think I felt them coming before anyone else and my back stiffened before I turned towards the wolves.

"You have to go," I said loudly, as I cast my eyes over the trees, looking to see where they would exit the forest at. The wolves growled, most probably at my rudeness, but I couldn't find it in myself to care. "The Volturi are coming, seven of them."

The wolves threw glances at us and themselves before turning on their heels and darting in the opposite direction. Their wet dog scent lingered, however and it wasn't but twenty-six seconds later that Aro came out, surrounded by the other Kings and four guards.

I curtsied to them, feeling the Cullen's stare at my back, but I didn't pull up from my bent-kneed position until Aro himself directed me to himself.

"We've come to fetch you, dear Terra." Aro smirked, holding his hand out to me and I knew I couldn't not take it. However if I were to take it, he'd see and know all my thoughts about the Cullen's. He'd know about the wolves and how they'd bested me by eliminating Victoria, he'd see... Jasper.

My eyes darted towards the empath who had stolen my heart with no words used. The word 'mate' darted through my mind quickly, and I had to agree with myself. I knew next to nothing about mates when it came to vampires, but I was nearly one hundred percent sure that Jasper Hale-Cullen was mine.

Would Aro make me leave if he knew that?

Shaking the thougths from my head, I grabbed hold of Aro's hand and watched as the emotions he felt roll off of me were displayed in his bright red eyes. His hand squeezed my own uncomfortably and even without empathy, I could feel his anger.

"Come, Terra, we've a lot to talk about."

I had no choice but to follow dutifully beside him as he refused to release his grip. I looked towards the Cullen's, noticing the Jasper was no longer in sight. He had left. The leaves beneath our vampiric feet crunched, and I could see Felix, Jane and Alec staring at me with concern. Did they know something that I did not?

"Why did you not come home the moment your mission was completed?"

I opened my mouth to speak but Aro cut my off, his eyes glinting furiously.

"You've fallen in love with a weak vampire, Terra. You've even been drinking animal blood to make yourself more like him! Do you remember nothing of your training?" Aro's cool demeanor which he kept in place around others slipped, showing just how angry he truly was with me.

"I do, Aro," I muttered, feeling more uncomfortable that I'd ever felt before as I struggled to keep contact with his eyes and his hand. I just wanted to yank myself away from him so that he couldn't see every thought that passed through my mind.

I just wanted to stay here for forever, with the Cullen's, with Emmett and Alice and Jasper. An intense wave of what I believed to be love swept through my marble-like body as I thought of the blond haired warrior with a southern twang.

Aro's hand tightened painfully as I thought of my mate and I attempted to jerk out of his grasp.

"Terra, go gather your things, you're coming home with us. We'll be waiting here for you."

Just like that, I was set free.

-----

They were waiting for me in my hotel room though I had expected no less, so it didn't surprise me. Even Rosalie was there, though she didn't care for me much, I still appreciated it.

"Are you leaving?" Emmett was the first to ask, his usually grinning face now downcast as he frowned heavily.

My shoulders slumped, giving them all the answer, though I still spoke it out loud nonetheless. "Yes."

"You can't!"

The outburst surprised me and I looked towards Jasper and Rosalie who had both jumped out of their seats and spoke at the same time as well. Just like twins. I smiled softly, touched that even Rosalie didn't want me to leave...but I didn't have a choice.

"I don't have a choice..." I trailed off, turning away from them. If I were still human, I'd no doubt be broken down in sobs. But I wasn't, and vampires can't cry.

"Stay with us, Terra. You always have the choice, choose us." Carlisle whispered, though every one of us could hear his words with our advanced hearing.

Shaking my head, I grabbed the few pairs of clothing I had and stuck them in my small handbag. The short green carpet felt like concrete under my feet and the air felt stuffy. Though I didn't need to breath in the stale air, I did, trying to memorize the scents of each and every Cullen as I did so.

"I have no choice. Goodbye Cullens." I turned on my heel and left the door open on my way out, not turning around even when I heard a single pair of footsteps pounding behind me as someone, male by the sound of them, chased me down.

"Terra, please..." I froze at his words. They wove around me, and were nearly enough to make my black heart beat once more. "Please stay here. Don't go."

My eyelids closed, savoring the words he spoke as I contemplated what I knew I'd have to do.

-Forget me, Jasper Hale. Forget you ever met me.- For the first time, I used my power on him, my compulsion..

I turned away from his nearly blank expression as his mind worked hard to do what I told it to, erasing every memory he may have had of me.

"I'm so sorry," I muttered as I walked away, though I knew he couldn't hear a word.

[[A/N: 5/17/2014: I'm currently writing the sequel and hope to have it out within the month, so keep an eye out.]]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.8K 1.3K 21
my pain fits in the palm of your freezing hand ROSALIE HALE 𝒙 FEMALE OC ! TWILIGHT SAGA STAND-ALONE Β©edenvgard
280K 7K 23
"You weren't suppose to choose me." "But I did anyway, darlin'." "I know you did." >>Death is supposedly the last stop. What I didn't expect was bein...
1.9M 49.1K 98
she had high hopes she would have a great ending to her life, but moving in with her dad and falling in love with a boy she shouldn...
83.6K 2.4K 25
The incident woke us up. It's like Bella and I were living in a dream and we just woke up to a harsh reality. New cover by me but the old one, which...