Author Interviews

Av AmbassadorsLK

We have featured some amazing stories from talented authors. It's time to get to know them better. Dive in! Mer

Meet Jamie Ellery

Meet Ai Kei

17 2 0
Av AmbassadorsLK

Hello, folks! Come and meet our next super cool Sri Lankan writer! Say hello to Ai Kei (HyperKatKei). She is the author of Kei's New Beginning, a heartwarming slice-of-life story based on the author herself!

Family is everything they say and family always stick together through ups and downs.

But for Kei Jayden Makkena; it was a total upside down world of a family. Everything seemed to be a bad luck for her, like she had been cursed from the day she was born. To which, she was even nicknamed as Jinxie for her bad luck. Which in return, Kei has a split personality that changes everything.

When Kei is handed over to her step mom at the age of 16. Kei's step mom; Lily Daiyu, an elegant women who's a professional doctor and professor; Kei starts to feel more heartbroken and a total stranger where she doesn't seem to belong anywhere when her three older half brothers start to misunderstand her for a tragic incident that happened in the past. They start to treat her badly, making Kei feel more left out and trapped in a dark void.

With her split personality constantly getting stronger and uncontrollable, Kei tries to work hard to fix her whole family issue all by herself. But could she? Or does she need help?

"You just gotta hold on no matter what cause there is really a bright light and rainbows around every corner."

_________________

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Okay, this might take a while 😂 I'm Ai Kei, but mostly go by Kei. Some call me Hyper Kat or Hyper Kitty because I am a cat lover and a cat person. (I think that's about the same thing 😂) I'm a 26 year old that loves writing a lot and if you saw my draft, you'd faint out of shock. I have 208 books in my draft that needs serious work. Someday, I might publish them, who knows. That's how much I write. I'm a music enthusiast and I am from Sri Lanka. To know more about me, just hit my profile and you will see more. XD

2. Tell us about your username. Does it have any unique purpose?

Yup, it does. My user name is actually my personality mixed with my love for cats. 🐈 I am hyper when I eat sweets and is someone in a sugar rush after that 😂 and with that, it becomes HyperKatKei.

3. Have you ever considered writing under a pseudonym, and why or why not?

I am already writing under a pseudonym. Ai Kei isn't my birth name 🤭 My real name is anonymous. You will never know!

4. What do the words "writer's block" mean to you?

That's a good question. Well, for me it means that I must go into a huge long brainstorming session. We all get writer's block sometimes. After so much of our ideas been put into the story and suddenly you run out of then, that's when we get it. We need to pause for a while, start brainstorming, relaxing our minds and taking a break. Its like we need a vacation for a while for our brains to process better. If we are stuck, that's what we do. Maybe we can do more research, find the inspiration and motivation again. Writers also do no back out. We someway or another find our way back. 😁 Writer's block helps us to improve ourselves as well. Its ok to take a break from writing. We need it to get more better amazing ideas.

5. How do you process and deal with negative book reviews?

I am someone who likes getting feedback. Even negative ones. But some of the negative feedback can be toxic. Its our decision to make whether we take in the feedback or not. Sometimes it help you point out where you're book is going wrong and where you need get fixed. But if its toxic feedback that's something you completely have to ignore and have that gut super feeling of "I am not giving up, I am gonna fix my book and somehow work it out and make it better so I can smash this on their faces!" This is how you answer back to toxicity in getting feedback. Don't take some of them to heart, learn from your mistakes if you have to. 😊 We all make mistakes.

6. What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

For me sometimes is my imaginations. I don't know how to word it because I am more of an imaginator. 😂 (Its not a word but I made it up 😂) so, I am someone who imagines my stories wherever I go and daydream my stories like movies playing in my head. I know the whole story and sometimes it gets hard to word out my story. Like literally put it on the paper/document. That's what I have struggle with. Also, there is another. I struggle a little with action scenes. Like when two people are fighting with other, I have to word that out. Those kinds of scenes I have a bit of a tough time to write. But, I do research and reading so that helps.

7. How long have you been writing or when did you start?

Hmmm..🤔 I started writing when I was 12. I had a darker past growing up so I had to see a therapist. She told me to keep a journal where I could write whatever I wanted. That's when I started writing haikus, poems and fanfictions. That's what I started with writing. Slowly, and writing a lot helped me to improve. After I started writing, it never stopped. My hands never stopped.

8. What advice would you give to a writer working on their first book?

Keep writing. Even if it's not good or its not to your liking or if it's not good enough, don't stop. Keep writing because you will improve in time. Like I pointed out in the above question, I started with fanfiction. English isn't my primary language. But, I never gave up. I kept writing and writing! My fanfictions, reading them now makes me laugh and think how babysh they are. 😂 I am proud now to where I am because I never gave up on writing no matter what anyone said. I kept writing and I improved.

9. What comes first for you — the plot or the characters — and why?

For me, what comes first is characters. My characters help build up my plot. Because I am an imaginator, I imagine my characters in the different scenes to build up my plot. It really works for me. If I have the correct amount of characters, I can easily build up my plot.

10. When did you first call yourself a writer?

I think around 2013. That's when my best friend made me join Wattpad because she said she loved my fanfictions I wrote. So I called my self a writer in 2013.

11. What would you say to an author who wanted to design their own cover?

Go for it! What are you waiting for? Create your own book covers because your the writer. You know the story and what's the book is about. So you know what to include in a cover. But always, as a graphic designer myself, I would suggest you use copyright images for your covers. There are so many platforms where you can learn to make a simple book cover. So don't hesitate. Go for it! Create wonders!

12. How many books have you written and which is your favourite?

My draft says I have written 208 books 😂 but my favorites are "The Devil's Match", "The Knight of Zuke" and "Kei's New Beginning". There other books I love as well, but they are in my drafts. They will be revealed later on 🤭

13. What part of the book did you have the hardest time writing?

I would say, it would be "Kei's New Beginning" because its a book I wanted to write about my real experiences I had in life and I had to do a bit of research into a few things to make it more realistic. And since there are mental health awarenesses and bullying awareness in the book, I had a bit of a hard time to word them out as I am still traumatized by a few things I really went through. But, I want to give everyone a positive aspect and to see that anyone who went through the stuff as I did are not alone. And that they could have a bright future.

14. What part of the book was the most fun to write?

The best and fun parts were the happiest times and the best memories I had. Since its my life experiences I have put in the book, the best were those. With also a little bit of comedy in it 🤭 well, not exactly a little but a lot more comedic scenes 😂

15. Which of the characters do you relate to the most and why?

Basically, I would say Kei. The character Kei is me, myself. Its basically me in my own book showcasing my real life experiences to everyone.

16. What perspectives or beliefs have you challenged with this work?

I would say writing scenes with mental health awarenesses and bullying were a challenge because I don't want to give any triggers to myself as to readers. So I had to be careful.

17. What inspired the idea for your book?

My inspiration for myself. I have a circle of friends that are very special and to them when I told them my experiences, they were surprised and supported me. I was amazed about myself that I have come this far. Its like self realization. So, my inspiration was me. 😊

18. What was your hardest scene to write, and why?

Oh, maybe I have to keep this short. The hardest scene is a rough bullying I went through. That was the hardest to write.

19. What characters in your book are most similar to you or to the people you know?

Basically, my own character herself. Kei, she's me.

20. How long did it take you to write this book?

Actually I wrote this book in 2014. Only last year I think I put this book out. I wanted to give everyone a positive outcome from coming out of these issues. So I put it out in 2022.

21. If you could meet your characters, what would you say to them?

If I am telling Kei this, which is myself in the book, I would say that she has come a long way 😊 you have come all this way so don't give up. Keep moving forward, don't look to the past because the future is brighter and clear.

22. What is your writing process like? Are you more of a plotter or a pantser?

I guess, I'm more of a panster 😂 yup, no doubt about that one.

23. What do you need in your writing space to help you stay focused?

My coffee, my sweet little room, music and computer 🤭

24. If you were to write a spin-off about a side character, which would you pick?

Hmm.. 🤔 a spin off huh! Well, I would pick Nicholas. He deserves a spin off. Actually, even Tyler deserves one 🤭

25. Have you ever traveled as research for your book?

Well, I do travel from state to state so I get my mind flowing with ideas when I do. Like from the country side to the city. Sometimes I write in the bus, waiting in bus stops, parks, the library etc.

26. What's your favourite writing snack or drink?

I would say chocolate and a cup of Cappuccino. That's my go-to snacks! 🤭 I have a sweet tooth.

27. How do you celebrate when you finish your book?

I celebrate it with a vacation and huge break for myself 🤭 And also hanging out with my best friends.

28. Do you play music while you write — and, if so, what's your favourite?

Of course! Music is life for me! I get inspiration from listening to music because music sets the mood for different scenes as well. I have a playlist. Here is the specific playlist I created for my book.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0qGM94T5qShu1aMR2xWyGq?si=q1qAvbCPQhSwV3qMFrD3fg

29. Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Yup they have, especially my dog Tommy and my cat Lucky. Well, Lucky passed away a few months back though. She was best ever. ❤️

30. For the future writers who are starting as new writers or are having trouble writing, what would you like to tell them?

I would say, take a pen, pencil, laptop and start writing. Anyone can write. Just keep writing. No matter what, keep writing because you will improve in time. The more you write the more you improve. 😊 Never give up! Its not in my vocabulary.

______________

Thank you so much, Ai Kei, for joining with us today! All of you reading, we hope you found this inspiring! Give her stories some love!

See you again soon.

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

181K 9.4K 87
Being flat broke is hard. To overcome these hardships sometimes take extreme measures, such as choosing to become a manager for the worst team in Blu...
74K 2K 29
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
194K 4.6K 54
❝ i loved you so hard for a time, i've tried to ration it out all my life. ❞ kate martin x fem! oc
214K 33.6K 87
ပြန်သူမရှိတော့ဘူးဆိုလို့ ယူပြန်လိုက်ပြီ ဟီးဟီး ဖတ်ပေးကြပါဦး