Ayla: Always an Alpha

By luluminous

Although Ayla Huxley is new to the alpha role, she's already pissed a lot of people off, so when someone send... More

Character Aesthetics
Chapter 1 - 300,000 Dollar Price on her Head
Chapter 2 - Frozen Speechless
Chapter 3 - Absolutely Reckless
Chapter 4 - Predilection for Unconventional Manners
Chapter 5 - Failure is Unacceptable
Chapter 6 - A Natural-born Predator
Chapter 7 - Don't Expect Anything
Chapter 8 - You've Got Time
Chapter 9 - Welcome to the 21st Century
Chapter 10 - Morning Raga
Chapter 11 - Forkful of Chicken
Chapter 12 - Just Enough Ruckus
Chapter 13 - Mark My Words
Chapter 14 - Sound so Cold
Chapter 15 - Guess Where I Am
Chapter 16 - Humor Me
Chapter 17 - Too Graceful
Chapter 18 - The Little Folder
Chapter 19 - Let Them Win
Chapter 20 - What Was (not) Smart
Chapter 21 - Giant Blinking Sign
Chapter 22 - Freshen Up
Chapter 23 - Alphabet City
Chapter 24 - Camouflage
Chapter 25 - Distracted
Chapter 26 - Russian Roulette
Chapter 27 - Maybe That's the Reason
Chapter 28 - Jesse the Jeep
Chapter 29 - Gandhi
Chapter 30 - Lie to Me
Chapter 32 - The Good Thing
Chapter 33 - Peace Offering
Chapter 34 - Two Obsessions
Chapter 35 - Sorry, Trout
Chapter 36 - Cards Dealt
Chapter 37 - Pork and Potatoes
Chapter 38 - Something Cool

Chapter 31 - Echoes of a Good Thing

166 17 5
By luluminous

~Killian~

I forced the rusted handle of the faucet to its left. The water crackled and hissed before it finally came out in a steady flow.

Deep into no man's land, the gas station restroom, one of the types attached to the back of the storefront and not located inside, was coated in a layer of grime so thick that its baby blue tiles were gray-green in the flicker of the fluorescent light overhead.

Predictably, there was no soap. Instead, I scraped at the blood on my hands with my fingernails. Having pilfered a plush towel from the millionaire's mansion, I'd wiped off most of the blood when it was fresh, but even still, dark red filled the creases in my palms.

I'd also snatched two luxury watches from the man's walk-in closet. His collection had been so massive I was sure no one coming to investigate would notice.

The watches were heavy in my pants' pocket. I hadn't stolen from anyone since I was kid, since before Sir found me, but before I left the mansion, I'd stopped, remembering that I would need money to get to where I wanted to go next.

"You're a good person, Killian." Ayla's voice echoed around in my brain as I scratched harder at my skin. I wanted to laugh. If she could see me now, she'd immediately take her kind words back.

But Ayla wasn't here, so she couldn't take them back.

"You're a good person, Killian." They followed me north. They screamed at me in the shop where I pawned the watches. They leered at me from behind the greedy eyes of the used car salesman. They flowed, loud and crystal clear, from the speakers of the vehicle. They taunted me from the back seat as I drove down long, empty highways. The wind whispered them into my ear as I pulled the car onto the side of an overpass and threw my blood-stained clothes into a river. They reverberated off the river banks into the cold atmosphere of the night.

"You're a good person, Killian," they repeated, as if they didn't already know that the only good thing in my life was the person they'd left behind.

~~~

Please vote, follow, and/or comment if you enjoyed this chapter!

Told y'all this one would be a shortie. Surprisingly, however, it was one of my favorite chapters to write.

Question of the week! Where do you think Killian is going next?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

472K 12K 21
Blair Lucia Mason is 17 years old werewolf. She is outgoing, fearless and the daughter of a powerful alpha, Blane Mason of the Shadow Howlers Pack. A...
3.5K 44 1
A shifter romance... Blair is no stranger to loss, and she does everything she can to protect herself from it. Even by hiding from life. So when she...
33.1K 1.2K 39
Sequel to 'Me and A rejection' Saphiya Bane Collins a ruthless Alpha, a possible savage. She could wipe out a whole world of innocents just to keep...
363K 11.4K 62
"No," She stood up straight and took his hand off her thigh. She straightened her dress and began to walk away. He grabbed her wrist and leaned again...