Humbled ((Undertaker X Reader...

By ApocalypticAnuyushi

A young noblewoman is sent to work a job to straighten up her bad attitude and finds more than she anticipate... More

Act One: Intern
Act Two: Pain
Act Three: Beauty
Act Five: Danger
Act Six: Heart
Act Seven: Hatred
Act Eight: Friendship
Act Nine: Honesty
Act Ten: Play
Act Eleven: Truth
Act Twelve: Belief
Act Thirteen: Reveal
Act Fourteen: Enough
Act Fifteen: Fog
Act Sixteen: Death
Act Seventeen: Love
Act Eighteen: History
Act Nineteen: Future
Act Twenty: Promise
Act Twenty-One: Fear
Act Twenty Two: Destruction
Act Twenty Three: Demise

Act Four: Deathly

87 5 1
By ApocalypticAnuyushi

"So," Ciel lowered the cup of tea from his lips, "Talk already, we're on a tight schedule."
Sebastian pulled out a golden pocket watch and checked the time in careful consideration before he slipped it away and looked back up.
Our eyes met, and right away, I got lost in the scarlet stare. This... Feeling... Why was I afraid of this guy? Was he not just a butler?
I quickly found myself lowering my eyes to my lap and casting a quick glimpse at the mortician beside me. He took his time with a long, slow sip of the tea, as though knowing it was getting on their nerves to be waiting around.
Finally, he lowered the cup with a grin,
"My, that's quite good. Is the tea to your liking, little lord?"
"Damn it-!" Ciel shortly slammed a hand on the table, the tea shaking in the cups, "Do you know something or not? We haven't got all day! You got your stupid joke, inform us what we want to know."

The man exhaled with a forlorn feel,
"Yes yes, of course. You know, you really 'outta stop and enjoy the experiences. Before you know it, life is going to pass you by," As he spoke, a bothersome tapping irked my gears. Where- Ah, it took a second before I noticed The Undertaker was tapping a long nail upon the table in a soft rhythm. "We happened to get one of the pretty victims downstairs. She was right stabbed, she was. Just a single one, through the chest."
"Now that's quite interesting," Sebastian perked up and looked to his master, "The killer risked being blocked by the ribcage for a single blow. Most serial stabbings are quite messy and miss the vital organs."
"Yes, I see what you mean," Ciel nodded in confirmation, "It sounds calculated, they knew what they were doing. A simple street stabbing would be quick, more mistakes, and possibly additional blows. Perhaps the killer was getting the victims in a position that already gave them easy access to the heart."

Christ, were they detectives? How did they get all that just from being told where the stab wound was?! It was like I was watching a detective novel in real-time, but I had no way to keep up with everything they were saying.

"The body didn't have any other wounds, I'm afraid," The Undertaker continued, "Not even a scratch."

Sebastian furrowed his eyebrows and rubbed his chin in deep thought. He looked to be thinking about something before finally perking right up,
"Might I check the corpse for myself? There is something I want to confirm."

With a short nod, the mortician pulled himself up and shortly waved for the Butler to follow. I considered going with for a moment, but decided against it. I wouldn't gain anything by looking at that corpse again. Ciel stayed behind as well, a bored expression over his face as we made eye contact.
The earl kept quiet until the sound of the basement door closed, and he frowned,
"We're alone. I wanted to speak with you anyway."
Really, with me? The hell did he want with me?
The child took a sip of the tea before he set the cup back down,
"Is it true you're actually helping him out? You're a servant?"
Seriously, where did servant come from?
"I'd prefer the term intern," I didn't get paid either way, but I wouldn't accept such a term as a noble. "But yes, I'm working under The Undertaker for now."

Ciel scoffed dismissively, almost mockingly,
"I'd almost say I felt sorry for you. He's an unequivocal loon on his best days."
How rude! Perhaps he was a bit strange, but he was still kind and helpful. I met Ciel's stare back with a sharp glare,
"I'll have you know he's been quite a capable boss and he's exemplary at his work,"
"Oh no I don't contest that, there's a reason I request Undertaker's service, but he's ludicrous at times."
I didn't like the way Ciel was talking about him, but what could I say to defend him? In all fairness, I hadn't known the mortician for very long, and I still had questions about him, such as... Well, that weapon for one.
In fact, I hadn't even seen his face, how could I defend him any better?

Ciel took another sip of tea, emptying his cup as he set it back down and met my eyes once more,
"Confirm something for me, will you? You're a noble yourself, are you not? What on earth are you doing working in a place like this? Rather undignified, isn't it?"
How did he... How did he know?!
I double-checked the clothes I was wearing, earning a chuckle from the boy like he could read my thoughts,
"Please, it's obvious. You can wear a shabby dress but you'd do better controlling that sharp tongue if you want to hide your status."
"Well, for your information, I don't really presume it's any of your business why I'm helping out here."
The boy's eyes flashed a suspicion but whatever he was going to say, the earl kept quiet when the two men suddenly returned once more.
The butler approached his master and whispered something in his ear. I couldn't hear the specifics, but Ciel's eyes widened as he looked up to Sebastian,
"Are you positive?"
Without another word, the butler nodded, encouraging Ciel to pull himself up,
"Fine, we'll look into it then," He suddenly paused, thinking for a second more before he shivered with discomfort, "Actually, I want you to investigate that place."
"Oh my, you sound nervous? Pray tell, are you afraid?"

The two visitors were no longer paying attention to us as they moved to the door, their hushed speaking for each other only. Was that it then? All that trouble and they were just going to leave?
How annoying, and here I thought the Phantomhives were a family to be scared of.

When the door closed, the Undertaker turned his focus to me,
"Wasn't that fun? I do love when the little earl visits."
Fun? What part of that was fun?!
"Why do you let him talk to you like that?" I pushed myself to my feet to challenge the mortician myself, "You know you don't deserve that, right? He was a proper mule the entire time."
I didn't see The Undertaker's face while his back was to me, but his head rose and he hummed thoughtfully before giving a quiet chuckle,
"It's entertaining~ He's got quite the mouth on him, much like you, in fact. I don't mind it at all, I even find his attitude a little cute for a tiny child. Reminds you of a chihuahua, doesn't it?"
Cute? Yeah, I couldn't see it. No matter how young Phantomhive was, manners were manners. I never spoke to my parents in such a way at Ciel's age-
Well, I do now, much worse than that, but I'd say they've deserved it.
Suddenly, Undertaker turned back to face me,
"Oh yes! Your little mark, how is it feeling? It's still quite red."

That's right, I almost forgot about it. I touched it gently, feeling the festering stinging. Damn that man, how dare he put his hands on me.

"It'll be fine. Let's not talk about it.," Actually... I raised my head to examine the mortician carefully, "What about you? I hardly know much about you yet, now do I? Are you going to tell me more or not?"
For a strange reason, I didn't feel any hint of bubbling anger. Something in me told me I should, but when I forced my attitude as I spoke to Undertaker to make up for it, it didn't feel natural.
Why? Why was I not angry?! What was happening to me? I felt this way at the church too, what was going on with me?
The man cocked his head, his arms withdrawn into his chest curiously,
"Me? You would hardly care about an old man like me, even if I told you."
What a load of bull!
Why did he always evade questions about himself, what the hell was he hiding?
I thought back to the strange weapon before quickly shaking it off. No, I couldn't confront him directly, I already tried that.
Seemingly noticing my thinking, the man grinned,
"Are you that disappointed? I need to do something out in town. You're not scheduled today, so I'll let you stay here. Rest up, that little mark won't heal itself."
Sure, whatever-
Wait a second, what?
The Undertaker took my confusion at his words to slip away. Before I knew it, I was standing alone in the shop.
Damn it, throwing me off like that to avoid talking again!
No way, I wasn't going to just stay here alone!
How did he move so quickly?
Without thinking, I rushed out of the shop to try following the mortician.
Looking left, then right, I only saw a flash of his silver hair brushing past the street corner.
I took off running, suddenly not caring about anyone staring at me.
This damned guy, making me run! I was a noble, how dare he-!
As I made it to the corner, The Undertaker had already vanished.
Where... Do I go from here?
No, if I thought about it, I'd waste time and lose him for sure.
I pushed on, moving forward in hopes of catching a glimpse once again. This speed was... Inhuman!
As I ran, I looked down alley after alley, only ever seeing trash.

Then I heard a quiet bang, screeching me to a halt.
My eyes turned down the alley it came from, yet I bristled with nerves. What... Was that?
"Undertaker?" I called out, allowing my voice to carry down the shaded path, "Is that you?"
No response...
Was it safe to investigate? Should I?
Everything in my heart was telling me not to and keep going, but what if I ended up being wrong?
I should check, shouldn't I?
Damn it.

Carefully, I moved forward, pushing myself down the alley.
It was full of trash and smelled, forcing me to cover my nose as I continued.
The alley diverged into a left behind the building, and as I reached the corner, I peeked down the path.
"Hello?"
I called but... Huh, empty.
My nerves melted away, only making me feel a bit dumb.
It was empty, there was nobody else here, what was I doing?
Man, what a waste of time. I was about to keep forward and continue my attempted follow, but before I did, a quiet thud fell behind me.
What...
Before I could turn around, I heard something sharp clang, and an arm wrapped around my shoulders, holding me tight against the body that had appeared.
Crap, crap who was it?! Who followed me? Was I going to die? Was I going to become just another victim?
"Oh stop wiggling around," A male's voice complained, his grip tightening, "I'm trying to help you!"
Yeah, right! Why would I believe something like that?!
I pushed against the hold tighter before I changed direction and attempted to force myself backward.
The change in direction caused the man to huff in annoyed pain, but he wouldn't let go,
"Why are you nobles always so quick to walk into danger?! Look down, woman!"
Huh?
I hardly believed him, yet I did as I was commanded, and right in front of my feet was a prepared bear trap. Who the-
Who put something like that in an alley?!
"Don't you believe me now? You're not on my schedule, got it?!"
"What the hell is that doing here?"
I didn't trust whoever suddenly grabbed me, of course, but seeing how they stopped me from walking into a literal trap, perhaps, maybe, I was more willing to hear them out, even if they were still holding onto me.
"Geez, you really have no idea," He sighed as he relaxed his hold, "It's for stray dogs, the butcher set it out to prevent them from going through his trash. I've been watching this block all week, and I'm tired of stopping people from stepping into one. What happened to make humans so quick to walk into a sketchy alley? Just turn back around already."
"I can't," I snapped back, "I'm trying to pursue him; The Undertaker, he went this way, didn't he?"

The stranger hesitated quietly before suddenly dropping his arm,
"Are you serious? You're trying to follow that guy? Why for? Do you know him? Are you..." He giggled, "Are you an item?"
"No way-!"
I finally turned back to meet the stranger's eyes.
Right away, my vision flooded with a ravishing red.
The long red hair flowed around the stranger like a wall of fire, his eyes shining a warm emerald green behind his glasses
I didn't stare long when I noticed the charged chainsaw in his other arm. What... What the hell?!
Instinct kicked in and I stumbled back, making the red stranger lurch forward to grab me once again before I fell into the bear trap laying in wait.
He sighed, like saving me a second time was an inconvenience,
"Humans, honestly."
With a tug, I was pulled back to steady feet.
This guy-! Must he be so rude? I almost didn't want to say thank you with a tone like that. Yet his phrasings... He spoke like he wasn't one himself.
"While I appreciate you saving me," I pulled my hand away, "I'm going to get back to my pursuit before I lose him completely."
When I turned around, the redhead was swiftly at my side,
"Hey wait, you're just going to leave without so much as a thank you?! Why do you need to find The Undertaker so quickly anyway? What's the big idea?"

I didn't care to explain, in fact I quite didn't want to, but his bugging tone of pleading encouraged me on. I smoothed down my dress carefully as I huffed,
"He's my boss. That's really all you need to comprehend. Why do you care? Do you know him?"
"Know him-?" The stranger suddenly giggled, bashfully averting his gaze to the ground, "We're... Acquaintances."
O... Kay?
Before I responded, he suddenly perked up,
"Oh, yes! How rude of me, I'm Grelle. You can call me the dainty lady in red, dreaming of her handsome lover that will sweep her off her feet~"
"No thanks," That didn't quite roll off the tongue, now did it? Grelle was fine, I didn't plan to spend more time with this weirdo than I had to. I continued to walk, but Grelle clung to my path, continuing to follow behind.
Seriously?!
I snapped back to look, and the redhead merely gleamed,
"What? We have the same mission, don't we? We're both on the hunt for a handsome man."
"Why do you even desire to look for him with me?"
I met his eyes, then looked down to the chainsaw in his hand. Pardon me if I didn't feel particularly trusting of the chainsaw-wielding redhead I met in an alleyway that grabbed me from behind.
He groaned a sigh, his shoulders dropping in disappointed,
"If you must know, I'm bored as hell. My only job right now is to make sure people don't get hurt in the area, and I'm not even allowed to touch any of the hazards! The view from the roof is nice to spot cuties on the sidewalk, but I want to do something. Please, I can help look, I'm quick!"

I had questions, a lot of questions. More than I could afford to stop and ask about. If this weirdo was fast though, perhaps I could still make up for lost time.
No side adventures, Undertaker first, then I could stop and question Grelle.
"Fine," I simply had to give in for now, it was his fault I fell so behind anyway! "Just assist me to catch up!"
The redhead smiled a sharp-toothed grin, leering a devilish attitude,
"Of course. I'll go on ahead first and find you if I track down the man of the hour."
The chainsaw was pulled up from dragging against the ground to hoist over his back. With a final wave, he took off running, light as a feather in every step.
What a weird dude. Creepy, pushy, possibly dangerous, but stylish for sure. I didn't have time to think about it though. I probably would've went off on him if he wasn't carrying an actual chainsaw, but I was entirely pissed off for being stalled like that.
Calm yourself, (Y/N)... Don't make any choices that would hurt you...
I closed my eyes and took a deep breath...
Okay... Just keep looking, he couldn't have gone far.
Gently, I touched the mark on my face once again. It still stung, but it was slowly getting better. Did they know I snuck out of the manor? Did they even care?
If anyone noticed I was gone and was worried, it was probably only because they couldn't pressure me into going through with their plans again.
I didn't really care, let them be pissed.
When I opened my eyes once more, I continued down the sidewalk Grelle took off on.
I started to make mental notes of landmarks and shops as I walked, getting farther from the funeral parlor with every step. I had never been alone in the town like this before, it was quite odd to see London from within rather than from my window.
The smells couldn't be described, and the people were less than ideal in their common clothes.

Did he even go down this way? Was I just getting more lost, entangling myself in the streets?
Well, the alone time was cathartic, at the very least. It gave me time to think.
Undertaker rushed off rather quickly with little detail, as though he knew something I didn't. I didn't technically work today, did he have plans that he couldn't tell me?
Did he have a date?!
... No, that was... Probably impossible. Why would I even care about that anyway? It wasn't like we were a thing, why was I getting annoyed at the idea?

Out of nowhere, the flash of red jumped in front of me, halting me in place and almost falling back.
Grelle grinned proudly, chest puffed out as though waiting to be praised,
"Ask and thou shall receive, your lady-in-waiting has located him! Now go on, praise me, tell me I did good,"
The smile didn't leave the redhead's face but... That just felt too weird. I tried not to make eye contact, choosing to instead glance to the side,
"Where is he then? You better not be lying."
"Of course I'm not!" Grelle gasped in the pure shock and horror at the thought of faking it, "I'll lead you there right now and prove you wrong!"

Well, that seemed to be how I found myself following a chainsaw-wielding stranger down the sidewalk. Thank goodness for someone faster than me at least, because I wouldn't have even considered taking this road.
Perhaps it was a mistake to follow him, Undertaker, that was. Doubts and fears began to set in that wanted to drag my feet down. He told me to wait there, it was probably for a reason. Because of my, well, without sugarcoating it, ego, I defied that direct request. God, what the hell was I doing?
Before my anxiety thoughts grew any worse, a street corner was turned and I stopped abruptly at the grim scene before me. What... Was this...

Scottland Yard littered the street, the area closed off to the public, yet forming a growing crowd of nosy onlookers.
"Get back!" One of the officers snapped with a wave of his hand.
As the crowd moved backwards, some people bumped into me, almost causing a fall if I hadn't bumped into the redhead instead.
I swiftly looked back to Grelle, but he wasn't looking at me. Rather, his attention was glued onto the action, and the toothy grin had fallen to a smile,
"What's going on here?" I finally had to question. Why bring me here?
Eyebrows furrowed, Grelle hummed in thought,
"Another murder case, poor woman, huh?"

What?!
I pulled myself away from the redhead to start pushing through the crowd in front of me. I heard some people mutter complaints but I couldn't care a less. Why were they here, if only to get in the way? I had half a mind to-!

"Halt! This is a crime scene!"
The large hand of a man was suddenly in front of my face as I reached the end of the crowd,
"Pa-Pardon me?!" Who did he think he was? Did he have any idea who-!
"Oh, let her through," A familiar voice came to my rescue. From the corner of my eye, the silver glisten approached with a relaxed smile, "She's with me, apprentice, yes?"
Of course... He was probably collecting the body for processing, it made total sense why I was told to wait behind. But how did he... How did he know-
"Oh," The officer cleared his throat with a tip of his hat, "Well uh, my apologies, come in then. Do try not to touch anything important though."
Please, as if I actually wanted to get my hands dirty. I was just here to follow my boss.
With a short nod to the officer, I swiftly took to Undertaker's side, but he simply frowned as he led the way,
"You're quite the stubborn one, aren't you? Ah, but I shouldn't have expected a noblewoman to obey everything. How did you find me?"
I would choose to ignore the jab at my status, thank you very much.
"It was-"
I looked back to where I left Grelle but... Huh, where did he go?
The spot was empty. Did he leave? I had so many questions too!
I sniffed before I looked back to the mortician,
"Uh, just adequate intuition I presume. What's... Going on? A murder?"

The man nodded, arms lowering to his sides,
"Ah~ Such a shame. A young beauty. Matches all the ticks of our earl's serial killer hunt too, he should've come just a little bit earlier."

When we approached the body on the ground, I felt the bile rising in my throat and quickly swallowed to stop myself from vomiting.
A fresh corpse, unprepared for burial at all, still with a look of terror in her eyes. How did this happen?
In every direction, it was practically a killing in broad daylight, in the middle of the street!
The woman was on the larger end, dressed fancy, as though she were on a date. But where was the date...
"We need to collect testaments from witnesses in the area," A Scotland Yard officer suddenly appeared beside us, "Please collect the corpse so we can clear the area of the ghastly sight."
Without responding, the mortician simply offered a simple salute.
He was kidding, right? This woman was quite a few hundred pounds, how did he expect to bring her all the way back to the shop with no support? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63K 1.5K 26
A girl escapes her nightmare after being tested and used for 8 years. She meets a boy also with a troubled past, and his butler who claimed to be a d...
27.8K 1K 18
Ciel had gotten tired of hunting for revenge, he was getting ever so close in his search to finding revenge and then he would die... But he didn't wa...
479 22 5
𝐀𝐌𝐈𝐀 𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒|𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊 𝐈 "𝐌𝐲 𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐚𝐥𝐞..." !CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM BLUE MEMORY ARC! Unaware of her unfortunate fat...
47K 2K 17
A girl with no name, past, or emotions meets a butler who liberates her from her sadistic master. Will discovering who she is ultimately...destroy he...