Soul Drive: Ignition

By RLThorton

In the distant future war has brought humanity to the brink of collapse, as the planet recovers scientists wo... More

Chapter 1: Race
Chapter 2: Crumble
Chapter 3: Birthday
Chapter 4: Power
Chapter 5: Test
Chapter 6: Pressure
Chapter 7: Noboru
Chapter 8: Bait
Chapter 10: Change
Chapter 11: Oh Canada
Chapter 12: Loss
Chapter 13: Faulter
Chapter 14: Lies
Chapter 15: Nori
Chapter 16: Koi
Chapter 17: Emergency
Chapter 18: A Pawn
Chapter 19: Atsuko
Chapter 20: Interrogation
Chapter 21: The World Is Watching
Chapter 22: Escape
Chapter 23: Daiki
Chapter 24: Duel
Chapter 25: Clone
Chapter 26: Alpha Mode
Chapter 27: Motive

Chapter 9: The Hanshin Incident

3 2 0
By RLThorton

Masato Tanaka's footsteps echoed in the dimly lit hallway as he approached Nori Aoki's prison cell. He could feel the weight of his decisions pressing down on him, like a vice around his chest. The flickering overhead lights cast eerie shadows across the walls, setting the tone for what was about to unfold. Masato knew the risks - Noboru's plan could easily backfire, but adding Nori into the mix might just tip the scales in their favor.

He stopped outside the cell door, his hand hovering over the security panel. Taking a deep breath to calm his racing thoughts, Masato swiped his access card and entered. A lone guard stood watch inside, his eyes narrowing at the unexpected visitor.

"Leave us," Masato commanded as he flashed his ID card, his voice firm and authoritative. The guard hesitated before nodding and making a swift exit. Masato turned to face Nori, who sat on the edge of his cot, his intense gaze never leaving the newcomer.

"Listen closely," Masato began, his voice low and urgent. "Chances are, by the end of this, we'll both be in prison or dead. But we can take control of our fates, claim some power for ourselves."

Nori's eyes gleamed with interest, his muscular form leaning forward ever so slightly. "What's your proposal?"

"Your vitals have never been affected by the use of the Mach, unlike Noboru," Masato explained, watching Nori's expression carefully. "You have a unique resilience that sets you apart. With you in play, we might stand a chance against the rogue."

A predatory smile crept onto Nori's face. "I want to be the only Mach pilot left standing. I want true power."

"Your conviction will lead us to victory." With a flourish, Masato produced an old VR headset - Mach 2. "Eliminate the rogue, and after that, you can do what you please." He handed it to Nori, who took it reverently.

"Deal," Nori agreed, his voice a low growl. He slipped on the headset, and in an instant, the Mach 2 armor enveloped him. A surge of power coursed through his veins, and he felt invincible. With a roar, he blasted a hole in the wall and took flight, leaving destruction in his wake.

The prison alarms began to blare, but Masato was already on the move, slipping back into the shadows of the facility. As he made his way through the chaos, his mind raced with thoughts of the impending showdown. For better or worse, this was the path he had chosen.

-----

Hiro touched down in front of the warehouse with the welcome Mach 1 painted on the roof, his teal cybernetic suit gleaming under the harsh glow of streetlights. The wind whipped through the area as he surveyed the area, anxiety bubbling in his chest. He knew Kimiko was inside, held captive by Noboru, and that knowledge spurred him into action.

"AI, establish communication with Mach 3," Hiro ordered, his voice steady despite his racing heart.

"Establishing a connection," the AI responded, and within seconds, Hiro heard the familiar voice of Noboru, amplified through the speakers of their respective suits.

"Trying to negotiate, are you?" Noboru taunted, his voice dripping with disdain. "Pathetic."

"Listen, I don't want to fight you," Hiro implored, tension tightening his voice. "I think your suit is messing with your mind, amplifying your desire for vengeance. You need to stand down before it's too late."

"Ha! I should have known you'd try to distract me from my mission," Noboru scoffed, his tone icy. "My only goal is to rid the world of criminals, and nothing you say will change that."

"Kimiko isn't a criminal!" Hiro insisted, desperation creeping into his voice. "She's innocent!"

"Nobody is truly innocent," Noboru retorted, his voice dark and cold. "The time for talk is over."

With those final words, Noboru lunged at Hiro, soul cannon blazing with orange light. Hiro barely had time to summon his soul blades before he was forced to block the onslaught of energy blasts. The air crackled with electricity as the two powerful weapons collided, each strike sending shockwaves throughout the warehouse district.

As the battle raged on, Hiro noticed Noboru beginning to act more and more erratically. His movements became jerky and unpredictable, his laughter wild and unhinged. It seemed as though the Mach 3 suit was taking its toll on him, warping his already fragile state of mind.

"Come on, think," Hiro muttered to himself as he dodged another blast, sweat trickling down his brow. He knew he needed a plan to save Kimiko and stop Noboru without causing irreparable harm, but every strategy that came to mind seemed full of risk.

"AI, analyze Noboru's movements for any exploitable weaknesses," Hiro commanded urgently, desperation clawing at his insides.

"Analyzing," the AI replied, its voice steady and emotionless. "Weakness detected: the unstable energy output from his suit is causing fluctuations in his shielding system."

"Got it," Hiro breathed, formulating a plan in his racing mind. As the relentless struggle continued, each clash more fierce than the last, Hiro knew he had to act fast. The lives of his friend and countless others hung in the balance, and the weight of their fates rested heavily on his shoulders.

Hiro's heart raced in his chest, the heat of the battle threatening to consume him. As he deflected yet another blast from Noboru's soul cannon, the sound of approaching engines caught his attention. Nori arrived on the scene, clad in a sleek, crimson-red Mach suit that seemed to swallow the light around it. Hiro's gut clenched at the sight of him, his mind racing with questions and concerns.

"Having fun without me?" Nori called out, a smirk evident in his voice as he surveyed the destruction around them. News crews began to arrive, their cameras capturing every moment of the chaotic clash between the Machs.

"Get back!" Hiro barked at the reporters, but his words were drowned out by the roar of battle. He could only watch in frustration as they insisted on getting closer to the action.

"Ah, reinforcements," Noboru said, mistaking Nori's arrival for an ally joining the fight. "Together, we'll crush this rogue Mach."

"Reinforcements? More like a replacement," Nori taunted, his eyes never leaving Hiro. "You're weak if you can't even handle one little rebel."

Noboru growled in response, his pride wounded by Nori's jab. "For Japan and the future of our military defense, we will destroy him!"

"Fine by me," Nori agreed nonchalantly, activating his soul Scythe. The wicked blade hummed with energy, casting an eerie glow on Nori's face. He rocketed towards Hiro, intent on striking him down.

Hiro's breath hitched in his throat as he braced himself for the impact, his hands gripping his soul blades tightly in a defensive position. At the same time, Noboru charged his soul cannon, preparing to unleash its devastating power upon his foe.

But just as Hiro steeled himself for the end, Nori changed course, slicing through Noboru instead of him. The powerful scythe cleaved the man and his Mach suit clean in half, leaving a stunned silence in its wake.

"Wh-what?" Noboru sputtered, shock and disbelief etched on his face as his Mach suit – and himself – began to explode.

"Sorry, old man. You were just in my way," Nori said smoothly, watching the destruction with a detached curiosity. Hiro, meanwhile, struggled to process the sudden turn of events, his mind reeling from the implications of Nori's actions.

"AI, prepare for combat," Hiro muttered, realizing that he would have to face this new threat. "Stop!" Hiro shouted, his voice strained but resolute. He couldn't help but feel the weight of the lives at stake in this battle. "This violence solves nothing!"

"Ha!" Nori scoffed, his eyes glinting with a dangerous fire. "You think I care? I'm the only one deserving of such power. The government is useless – fear will force humanity to bow to my will and I'll kill anyone who steps out of line."

As Nori lunged at Hiro, the AI within Hiro's suit activated its defense systems, barely moving him out of range of the deadly soul Scythe. Sparks flew as the blade grazed Hiro's armor, leaving a shallow gash.

"Is that what you really want?" Hiro asked, his mind racing for a way to reach the volatile young man. "To rule through fear?"

"Better than letting our current officials slowly drain us of everything we have," Nori spat back, his fingers tightening around the scythe's handle. "Now, let's see how tough you really are!"

The two Mach-suited combatants clashed, their weapons clashing with an intensity that shook the very air around them. Hiro used his soul blades to parry Nori's relentless attacks, the teal and red energy blades creating a dazzling display amidst the chaos.

"Enough!" Hiro yelled, frustration and desperation seeping into his voice. "We're not enemies! We can work together to bring about change without resorting to violence!"

"Save your breath," Nori sneered, unrelenting. "I don't need your bleeding-heart nonsense. I've made my choice!"

Their battle raged on, growing more intense with each passing second, neither one able to gain the upper hand. As they fought, news helicopters circled overhead, broadcasting the terrifying spectacle to the world.

"AI, analyze his attack patterns," Hiro thought urgently, sweat pouring down his face. "Find an opening!"

"Understood," the AI replied, its voice calm and steady amidst the turmoil.

Meanwhile, the Japanese government had no choice but to mobilize their military forces in a desperate attempt to stop the explosive display of their secret weapons. Tanks rolled through the streets, and fighter jets screamed through the sky, ready to intervene in the battle between Hiro and Nori.

"Look around you, Nori!" Hiro shouted, trying one last time to reach him as they continued to exchange blows. "This destruction – it's not the answer! We can be better than this!"

For a moment, Nori hesitated, his eyes flickering with uncertainty. But then he shook his head, letting out a bitter laugh. "Too late for that now, isn't it?"

With that, their battle resumed, and each warrior determined to prove themselves stronger than the other, even as the world crumbled around them.

-----

Jets roared overhead, slicing through the smoke-filled sky as Hiro and Nori continued their relentless battle. The metallic clang of their suits echoed through the air, punctuated by the occasional explosion from a weapon's discharge. Below them, the city cowered in fear, its once-bustling streets now deserted.

"AI, give me a status update on the military forces!" Hiro called out, his voice strained as he narrowly dodged another strike from Nori's soul scythe.

"Multiple aircraft are approaching our location," the AI replied. "They appear to be targeting both you and Nori."

"Great, just what we need," Hiro muttered under his breath, gritting his teeth as he parried another blow from Nori.

"Having trouble keeping up?" Nori taunted, a twisted smile crossing his face as he launched into another attack. "You'll never defeat me if you can't even handle a few missiles!"

"Maybe I won't have to," Hiro retorted, his eyes narrowing with determination. "Once those missiles hit, neither of us will be left standing!"

As if on cue, the air filled with the sound of whistling projectiles, zeroing in on their targets. Hiro's AI worked overtime, calculating the trajectories of the incoming missiles and adjusting his movements accordingly. With expert precision, he managed to avoid the majority of them, each one exploding harmlessly in his wake.

But Nori, too consumed by his rage and desire for power, failed to notice the missile hurtling straight toward him. His focus remained solely on attacking Hiro, oblivious to the imminent danger.

"Damn it!" Hiro thought, his heart pounding in his chest. "Can't you see what's happening?!"

At that moment, Hiro made a split-second decision. Despite the risk to himself, he surged forward, pushing Nori out of the missile's path just as it was about to hit. The resulting explosion sent them both hurtling through the air, their suits battered but still functional.

"Wha- What did you just do?!" Nori sputtered, disbelief etched on his face as he stared at Hiro.

"Saved your life," Hiro replied simply, his eyes locked on Nori's. "I may not agree with you, but I won't let you die like that."

A myriad of emotions flickered across Nori's face – confusion, anger, and finally, something akin to appreciation. He hesitated for a moment, his grip on his soul scythe wavering.

"Get out of here," Hiro urged, his voice soft but firm. "Go, before they send more missiles our way."

Nori stared at him for a long moment, the weight of Hiro's actions sinking in. Then, without another word, he disengaged from the battle and took off into the sky, vanishing from sight.

"AI, let's go find Kimiko," Hiro thought, his body aching from the intense fight. As he soared back to the warehouse where the battle had started, a small glimmer of hope sparked within him. Maybe, just maybe, there was still a chance to save the Mach 2 pilot from himself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 45 31
Taking place in the midst of the War of Cybernetics, the young and feeble Alan finds himself in a grim situation. A situation that causes him to leav...
1K 89 18
{WARNING: This is an original story of mine, and has nothing to do with any fandoms. I understand if you don't want to read it, but it would mean a l...
244 44 44
Chase Arrows, among millions of minors were your average children inside the world government in the year 2234 a.d. They went to school, made friends...
1.1K 196 70
CyberTech controls everything. They built self-driving cars, robots to work in factories and a virtual reality game that fills everyone's time. Mayl...