1.2 | Under The Hazy Winter S...

By soxiarchive

On a hazy winter season, many years ago, they met. Now they meet again. And it's another winter season. The... More

preface
soundtrack
prologue
part one
1 | the first run-in
2 | the second run-in
3 | the galaxy of stars within us
4 | lighthouse
5 | saina & gaurav
6 | christmas fest
7 | hiking
8 | rain
9 | life is a puzzle
10 | the director
11 | the fortune teller
12 | mistletoe
13 | meet you on the big stage
interlude
part two
15 | another ride
16 | new offers
17 | all about him
18 | movie date
19 | the return to bundok
20 | shooting
21 | the realization
22 | mothers
23 | snowstorm
24 | a date
25 | the way he lived
26 | found family
27 | the aftermath
28 | a hazy winter sky
author's note
bonus # 1
bonus # 2
character interviews | 1
character interviews | 2
covers & graphics
aesthetics

14 | backstage

247 41 19
By soxiarchive

present

THE LAST MODEL completed her walk and strutted back, joining the models who gathered in a line and posed with the clothing on them.

It was simple clothing - skirts, pants, shirts - that already exist but made more practical and designed more beautifully. Extra features were added in all of them.

The crowd of onlookers had on them a blank expression, making it impossible for anyone to get a read on them.

At the end, music came to slow close. A man with styled grey hair and fashionable suit walked on the stage, to the tune of applause.

"Thank you. Thank you. It's a wonderful show organized by my apprentice, Maya Raviker." On cue, Maya walked the ramp to join him, with a wide smile on her face.

"Thank you for attending the show and viewing the winter 23/24 collection."

After a few more words of praise, he bowed along with Maya and walked off stage. The crowd began to slowly filter out of the venue.

Maya's mask fell off. Her tired, weary expression finally appeared on display. The grey haired man turned to her.

"It was not a bad show but I expected more, Maya."

Maya watched him, not responding.

"Let Jina handle the upcoming shows. You should take some rest and...just take a break." 

It quite simply meant her job was now on unstable rocks, ready to jump off the cliff and fall into the abyss of unemployment anytime soon.

Maya didn't have a flair for the flamboyancy and extravagance her company was known for. The crowds that gathered to view each season's collections from her company only came for the show of luxurious and ornate clothes. Not her version of practical clothes and simplicity, paired with beauty.

Maya blinked and turned her eyes away, unable to withstand the bright light, shining in all directions. It was being removed.

"Alright." She responded, in a small voice.

Her mentor and boss patted her shoulder and walked away, calling out 'Jina!'

Maya's assistant walked over to her.

"Your collection was good, Maya."

Maya smiled at her, a weary, exhausted smile.

"It's what the girls would actually buy. Not the flamboyant wings and what not this company does. No one buys any of that."

"Yeah." Maya let out a tired breath, dropping into a nearby chair. Her black satin dress hiked up, along her ankle and the strands of hair bun had begun dropping out, collecting along the side of her face.

"But isn't that what fashion shows display these days? Not practical fashion, they display the ones that look like they came straight out of a circus."

Her assistant laughed. Then, her countenance grew serious. "If you quit, I'm joining you."

Maya gazed at her, her eyes displaying a complicated expression. 

"I really will, I'm not kidding. I cannot work under that pretentious Jina. Absolutely not. Plus, I like your style of clothes. It's ones that I myself would wear, if I could afford it."

Maya smiled. "I can always make something for you. It's you who refuses."

"I want to buy it with my own money." 

"Alright, as you wish." Maya conceded. She tossed her head back, staring at the ceiling. "You should go. It's getting late."

"You should too, miss."

Maya turned her head over again, watching her assistant. "I'll go soon, Radha. Get going now. Take rest at home."

"Alright. I will. Hope you get home safe."

Maya nodded and watched her leave. After a few minutes, she grabbed her shawl and her purse and made her way out of the venue. Then, she stopped. She went back into the venue and padded to the back exit.

The back exit was quieter and allowed for a quiet space to reflect and think through the chaos in her head. She pushed the door open and plopped down on a bench, by the side of the road.

It was not a road undertaken often and so contributed to the quiet environment of the back exit.

A few yards away from her, Maya heard two men talking. One was a boastful, loud man who didn't let the other talk, at all. It was clearly her own boss.

"But, come on, our company has the best quality in fabric and an array of designers who can help the costume design of your next movie absolutely spectacular. It is also-"

"I'm not interested."

She recognized this voice. She had been hearing it everywhere these days, the internet, the TV, on the radio.

She had also heard it in Bundok in 2013. 

Her head slowly turned in their direction, as she peeked at the two of them. He had grow only a little taller, still towering over her at 6''. His voice had gotten a little softer, but firmer. Everything else remained the same.

He was familiar to her but still unfamiliar. She couldn't describe the feeling. The usual robust Maya was now feeling shy. She contemplated greeting him. 

Why was she feeling so awkward?

"Well, alright. If you've made up your mind, then there's nothing I can do. What I will tell you, however, is that you'll regret it, choosing us."

Ved simply smiled at him, dismissing him in an effective manner.

Maya looked away. She pulled out her phone and began booking her cab. Her feet tapped the ground lightly. She crossed her legs, adopting her usual sitting pose.

The screen on her phone loaded, her data issued her a warning saying it was low on charge. She looked towards her right, not daring to look the other side.

It was silence for a long while. She couldn't discern any sort of movement or footstep from her left. What was he doing?

Deciding to dare a peek, she slowly turned her head. 

Well, shit.

He was gazing right at her, with a knowing smile. She blinked. The two didn't say anything for awhile. Maya wondered if she was caught in a staring contest.

Then, he pushed himself off the war and approached her, stopping a few steps away from her.

"Hi."

"Hi, Ved. How are you doing?" She stood up. Suddenly her phone chimed. Her screen displayed 'cab not found'.

"I'll drop you off." He gestured to his SUV, that luxuriously rested by the side of the road.

"Oh, no. I'll just get a cab-"

"Come on." He began walking to his car, rotating the car key on one finger. Maya let out a breath. With small steps, she padded to his car and hopped in.

"Type in your address." He clicked his seatbelt. A little disoriented, Maya typed in her address and leaned back against her seat.

Ved ignited his engine and glanced at her. Then, he moved towards her. Their faces wear inches apart.

Click.

Her seatbelt was put in place.

He leaned away, his eyes forward on the road. The car began moving forward. Maya peeked at his arms rotating the steering wheel or his countenance and quickly look away, from time to time, over the first five minutes of the journey.

Who knew a man driving could be this hot?

"How have you been?" He asked, his voice low.

Maya blinked. "Not bad. What about you?"

"I'm doing okay."

A pause.

"You're doing more than okay, from what I've heard."

Ved smiled at that. "Been seeing my films, haven't you?"

"Some of them." Maya said, after a momentary pause.

Both their countenance held a smile on them. It was silence afterwards. The conversation didn't continue.

Maya was dropped at the entrance of her apartment complex.

"See you...around?"

"I'll see you later." Ved said, a firm re-assurance that surprised Maya. Then, he drove away, bidding adieu with his signature charming smile.

Maya watched the car, progressing away from her.

Just what had happened?

˚₊ ❄︎

wordcount: 1272 words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6K 516 12
✨ONC SHORTLIST, HONORABLE MENTION, AND AMBASSADOR PICK✨ Back home in his small town after suffering an accident, U.S. Marine Hayes McAdams tries to f...
226 25 5
A short story of marriage where Avya and Supreeth stayed like strangers for months even after their marriage. Having their own traumas, baggage, will...
2.1K 265 8
a collection of one-shots set in highschool/pre-university setting [ anthology / 20240203 / #15 in anthology ] © 2024 soxiacarat all rights reser...
4.4K 182 10
Who knew a snow storm could cause a little christmas of romance?