Arranged Marriage

By YuiKobayashi2

"Should we get divorced?" . . . . . . The official AU (Alternative Universe) of DTR More

Posting this AU again 🀣
Notes before reading
Back to square one
Week 1 (1)
Week 1 (2)
Week 2 (1)
Week 2 (2)
Week 2 (3)
Week 3 (1)
Week 3 (3)
Week 4 (1)
Week 4 (2)
Week 4 (3)
Week 4 (4)
A year (1)
A year (2)
A year (3)
A year (4)
A year (5)
It's about time (1)
It's about time (2)
It's about time (3)

Week 3 (2)

1K 24 9
By YuiKobayashi2

They walk in silence. As they head to Gordon's mansion, they both get one side of their shoulders wet, and their clasped hands remain intact. Karlyle doesn't move a single finger since his body temperature is keeping Ash warm.

When they arrive at the mansion, their breathings are trembling and their chests are heaving. The old-fashioned roof of the entrance shelters them from the rain.

One of the staff recognizes him and approaches him. Since it's a place where uninvited nobles can't come, it's natural for the staff to memorize the faces of guests. When Ash lowers the umbrella, Karlyle can finally breathe properly.

"It's almost time."

Before he can let go of Ash's hand, Ash takes the umbrella off with his other hand and hands it over to the staff. He says thanks to the staff with a smile, then, without giving him time to react, Ash leads him inside. Their hands are still intact. But this time, Ash turns his palm over and intertwines with his hand.

"Your hand got cold."

Clasping their hands together, Ash gently strokes his fingers on the back of Karlyle's hand. The feeling of warmth spreading on his hand is pleasant, as if his skin is a thin ice and it is melting in the sunlight.

".....A lot of people are watching us."

Karlyle says. People are interested in other people's business wherever they go. It is especially true at a place like this. By tonight, rumors will be everywhere. The story about his marriage, which has been around here and there, will probably become a hot topic after today.

"Do you think I'm that naive?"

While he's contemplating whether he should let go of Ash's hand, Ash gently stops him. Ash doesn't hold him that strong. Which means Karlyle can yank his hand out if he wants.

"I myself decided to show up here."

But Ash eliminates all the reasons for him to escape.

"However, if you want a connection with Phillip here, I have to do this."

This is the first time he has heard anyone called Marquis Gordon "Phillip". His grandfather was right about the relationship between Ash and him. Although the connection with Gordon is a part of their contract, he has no idea that Ash would go this far.

"Phillip always invites me, but I only decided to come here for the first time in so long because of you, Karlyle."

Although it is Ash's first time back here in a while, he enters Marquis Gordon's mansion with no unfamiliarity. He seems even more used to this place than Karlyle. As they walk hand in hand, he can see people's eyes turning to Ash. Some groups whisper when they see their clasped hands, there are also many Omegas who show interest in Ash, a handsome guy showing up here for the first time.

Amidst all the glances and whispers throwing at them, Karlyle unconsciously clenches Ash's hand. He walks behind him, and stays close to him. Even though he's used to receiving criticism, he doesn't want Ash to be the center of gossip.

"It seems that you have known Marquis Gordon for a long time." He says.

"Yes, he was my mother's friend."

He has heard of it, but he doesn't know much about Phillip Gordon's past. Information about friends of someone is usually word of mouth, it's really hard to find out.

Those who are interested will remember, Karlyle isn't very active in the social circle. After his embarrassing incident at the party his grandfather hosted in the past, he doesn't socialize with many people unless it's necessary.

"Are you curious?"

Ash asks with a grin. Of course, Karlyle can't help but get curious. This is also information to be aware of.

"I don't deny it."

"Then let's exchange information."

"What do you want?"

"If you answer my questions about you, I will answer yours as well."

"You seem to be very curious about me."

The thought that Ash resembled a cat that he had earlier pops up in his head again. His appearance resembles a puppy, but his personality is hard to classify whether he's a cat or a dog.

"You don't want to?"

Ash asks, his thumb stroking his hand. His pouting holds Karlyle back from refusing. And he has no reason to, either.

"I don't mind it."

While they are talking, they enter the main hall. He can see Marquis Gordon from afar. Normally, after he's done with the hosting work, Marquis Gordon will suddenly disappear for the rest of the night. But for some reason, he's standing there talking with other nobles. Because of that, people are gathering there.

All the stares are making him conscious since he has never attended any events with a partner. Ash seems to feel the same, he also leads him away from the crowd. However, an intruder appears.

"Karlyle."

A handsome man with half slicked back blonde hair appears. This good-looking person with a sly smile is Aiden Heywood, his friend from childhood.

"Aiden."

Aiden would attend this party for sure, but he meets him sooner than expected. This guy normally has an Omega by his side, however, he has no partner today. Instead, he only has a glass of whiskey in his hand. From the looks of it, he must have broken up with his partner.

"You are late today, which is unlike you. Why is your suit wet?"

Aiden reaches out to him like he always does. The first reaction Aiden has whenever he meets him is to touch him as he pleases. So now, Aiden's hand is on his shoulder. As Karlyle is about to stop him with a little squinting, someone gets in between.

"May I ask who you are?"

Ash steps up. He lightly shakes Aiden's hand off and places his hand on Karlyle's shoulder instead. Then he gently massages the curve where the nape of his neck connects to his shoulder. Aiden blinks, his eyes dash back and forth between them.

"You are asking who I am? I'm Aiden Heywood, Karlyle's friend."

Aiden winks at Karlyle.

"I'm his one and only best friend."

Putting emphasis on his position, Aiden stares at Ash head-on. Ash has a smile different from usual. His mouth corners are rising, but his eyes are cold. The situation happens so fast that Karlyle has no time to intervene.

"I'm Karlyle's fiance. My name is Ash Jones." Ash introduces himself.

He doesn't expect Ash Jones to say that. He looks at Ash with puzzled eyes, meanwhile, Aiden lets out a sigh. Aiden scans the two of them, then takes a sip of his whiskey. He gulps down the wine elegantly.

"You'll get drunk if you drink like that."

Karlyle steps up. He's the one bothering Aiden, he shouldn't make Aiden involved. As he's approaching to take Aiden's drink, Ash grabs the drink from Aiden first.

"Allow me to take it."

With his signature smile, Ash takes care of the troublesome work, not letting Karlyle touch it. But instead of giving him the drink, Aiden steps back. He glances at Ash and throws him a sharp question.

"When did you two meet?"

"It's a family affair."

Ash gives a clear answer. At that moment, Ash slides his hand from his shoulder to his back. Then his hand rests on the hollow of his back. It feels strange. Looking at the two of them with raised eyebrows, Aiden whispers in his ear. As Aiden gets closer to him, Ash's hand on his waist twitches, but he doesn't do anything more than that.

'We need to talk.'

Since he met Aiden on a regular basis, there were a lot of times when Aiden just talked nonsense to him. He doesn't need to accept his request in a place like today. As he's about to refuse, another intruder appears.

"Ash, you are here."

A person with a great presence, hardly an intruder, approaches them. Karlyle can feel the crowd's attention turn to them. A middle-aged man of similar height to Ash with black hair and blue eyes is standing next to them. Even though he has a few strands of gray hair, he looks quite young for his age. He exudes an elegant aura, Karlyle can imagine that Ash would look like this man when he's older.

"Sir Gordon."

He never thought about it before, but Ash and Phillip Gordon look so identical that they can be mistaken as father and son. It seems that he isn't the only one thinking so. He can hear people whispering.

"Mr. Frost, Mr. Heywood."

Marquis Gordon greets him and Aiden. Karlyle gently bows to greet him. Marquis Gordon gives him a smile.

"I heard that Mr. Frost had a big part in bringing Ash here. This child didn't show up at all. Thank you for taking him here."

Marquis Gordon is very friendly although he has only met him a few times. He heard that Marquis Gordon wasn't a typical aristocrat, that seems to be true. Marquis Gordon is kind and gentle. His vibe is similar to Ash.

"Phillip, how are you?"

Unable to dodge people's attention, Ash has no choice but to greet Gordon. Ash hugs him and calls his name in a close way. Gordon also hugs him back.

"You didn't visit me at all. I was sad, you know?"

"Sorry. I was busy with work."

Karlyle feels like he's interfering with two people meeting after a long time. He steps back a little. Not missing that, Aiden drags him out.

"Then, we'll stay out for a while so as not to disturb you."

Not giving Ash any chances to hold Karlyle back, Aiden takes him away. Unable to follow, Ash can only watch them leaving with troubled eyes as he can't act rude to the host of the party. Karlyle feels quite burdened about leaving Ash behind, but he goes along with Aiden for now.

Aiden only stops after reaching the third floor, where there is no one around. Karlyle slaps his hand off his suit. Aiden immediately makes a fuss.

"I thought it was just a rumor, but are you really marrying an Alpha?"

He thought Aiden wouldn't know, but it turns out he does. He isn't sure what kind of rumor is circulating, but it seems that things about them have spread here and there.

"....It hasn't been decided for sure."

Karlyle is reminded of a reality he has briefly forgotten. He can neither mention the contract between them nor say that it isn't simply a family affair. He can only give Aiden a vague answer.

"Seeing the two of you together, it seems to have been decided already."

He looks at Aiden questioningly. Aiden immediately recognizes his confusion. Aiden meets him more often than his family and he is keenly aware of the slightest changes in his emotions.

"You two were standing there like a couple. You had never let anyone touch you, but you allowed him...."

Aiden comes to the conclusion on his own.

"He didn't even let me touch you, what was that about?"

"You are imagining things."

Ash has no particular reason to do that.

"You are siding with him already? You are making me sad, you know?"

Aiden shows such an exaggerated disappointment. The more the story about Ash continues, the more uncomfortable he feels. It may seem like they will get married for now, but soon, no marriage will happen. Ash doesn't wish for the marriage regardless of how Karlyle himself feels.

Then a question suddenly occurs to him. Would someone who doesn't want to go with the marriage go this far? Showing up at the party of a Marquis, whom he hasn't met for several years, not caring about holding hands in front of others, behaving like a sweet lover.... Is it normal?

Frustration fluctuates in him for a moment, then it calms down. It's a similar feeling to when he waited for contacts from Ash Jones but received none. The sensation of Ash's hand on his back just now is still vivid, making him even more confused. They just held hands, what is this feeling?

"Did I say something wrong?"

Aiden quietly asks as he sees him being silent. Karlyle shakes his head. No matter how much he thinks about it, nothing will change.

"It isn't because someone caught your weakness, right?" Aiden asks.

"There's no way."

"Then why would you suddenly go out with an Alpha?"

"My grandfather wants me to. That's it."

When he mentions his grandfather, Aiden seems to understand the situation. He runs his fingers through his hair.

"Marquis Frost is so...."

Also having grown up in a similar environment where they were given wealth since birth and everyone had to pay the same price, Aiden cannot really oppose Arthur, either. Marrying someone chosen by the family isn't a strange thing.

"Anyway, why does it have to be with an Alpha?"

Obviously, Karlyle thought the same at first. But when hearing it directly from Aiden, it still feels hard to believe.

"Aiden."

Karlyle subtly warns Aiden. Aiden quickly says one more thing.

"Of course he's handsome enough to overcome that.....But is it really enough? Are you sure you'll be okay?"

Aiden agrees, but he seems confused. Instead of reacting in denial like Karlyle thought he would, Aiden is worried about something.

"I don't know what you're worried about. As long as the conditions of the marriage are okay, it's fine."

He wants to laugh at himself for saying this. At first, he was repulsed by the very existence of Ash Jones.

"Do you know how Alphas do it with each other?"

"What?"

Aiden has a serious face. It's such an uncomfortable topic for him, who isn't good with sensitive talks. He squints at Aiden's pressing.

"If you ever need help, let me know."

Placing both hands on his shoulders, Aiden says very seriously. As Karlyle is going to tell Aiden that it's enough and shake his hands off, someone wraps their arm around his waist and pulls him back. As he's pulled back with gentle force, he falls into someone's arms. It's too sudden. Karlyle blinks in surprise.

"Are you here?"

A sweet, melting voice rings in his ear. The scent that hits him at the same time as that person hugs him immediately tells him who that is. It's Ash. Although Ash has a similar physique to him, his upper body is wider. Karlyle can clearly feel his muscles behind his suit touching his back. It feels completely different from an Omega. A chilling sensation runs down his spine.

"....Ash?"

He's shocked since he has never imagined he would be hugged like this. When he turns his head around, Ash is just within the touching distance of his lips. If he weren't careful, his lips would have really touched him. His heart is thumping in his chest.

"I've been looking for you. You left me alone, I'm sad."

Ash pouts like a child. Karlyle doesn't have time to react about how Ash is hugging him.

"I'm sorry."

"It's my fault. I lost you."

Ash whispers that it's his fault. His weak breath touching his earlobe is warm and itchy. Karlyle unconsciously flinches a little.

"Can I take my fiance back, Mr. Heywood?"

Aiden is looking at them with narrowed eyes. Embarrassed as he's seen like this in front of his close friend, Karlyle carefully grabs Ash's arm. At his restraining gesture, Ash pauses, then he lets go of his waist. Karlyle gradually adjusts his slightly disheveled clothes. He needs to sort out the situation.

"Aiden, I'll contact you later. Let's stop here for today."

"Okay."

Aiden doesn't cross the line since it isn't something he can intervene. He throws Ash a disapproving look. However, it isn't unusual since Alphas usually don't like each other. As soon as Karlyle finishes speaking, Ash gives Aiden a look, then he holds his hand.

He feels very much unfamiliar to be hugged, but he has already gotten used to holding hands. So, it isn't that it has completely become a natural thing for him, he just feels okay to leave Ash holding his hand. Ash clasps his hand and starts leading him down the hallway. Ash seems to want to get out of this place quickly, but he isn't in that much of a hurry, either.

"Ash, I didn't mean to leave you behind. Since Sir Gordon seemed to want to talk to you...."

"I know. I had to talk to him for a while anyway. He is more like a father to me than my biological father."

Those words bring back the question about the relationship between Phillip Gordon and Ash that he has had for some time. Ash seems to have noticed it. He slightly turns his body around and looks at him. A refreshing smile blooms on his handsome face.

The deserted hallway is quiet. Karlyle realizes that this is one of the places that Marquis Gordon doesn't allow outsiders to come in. However, he's been here once. When he was very small.

The sound of music gradually fades away. Amber light from the hallway chandelier pours down on them. Gentle darkness seeps through the long glass window, and Ash is dyed in the mysterious colors of the space. Ash moves closer to him. Even though it isn't a threatening move at all, it feels strange. Karlyle unconsciously takes a step back.

"Karlyle."

"....Yes."

"Shall we continue where we left off earlier?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.6K 934 12
Chandra, a dimwit guy ended up in an omegaverse world and became the omega wife of the protagonist's big brother, Aryan, who was feared by people bec...
1.7K 70 41
" If we were different would you still divorce me?"
155K 2.2K 82
They hold hands, they hug, and they kiss.... But they are not lovers? Doing things you are supposed to do with your lover with someone you can't get...
117K 4.4K 21
[l.dh x dream] [mafia au] [omegaverse] ΰ³ƒβ€βž· in which donghyuck is taken off the streets one night and placed in the hare...