Action Comics #1

Autorstwa CraziBastid

A modern retelling of the first appearance of Superman. Więcej

Action Comics # 1

2 0 0
Autorstwa CraziBastid

INT. BALLROOM - NIGHT

WE OPEN ON: CLOSE and pan out on a bubbling glass of champagne being held up.

It's held by PERRY WHITE, editor-in-chief of the Daily Planet.

Perry is dressed in an old fashioned tux and is facing a group of other well dressed professionals.

He gives a wide celebratory smile and addresses the guests.

Perry

I was a kid when I became a copy boy for George Taylor at the Daily Star. One day I was in such a rush, I ran into him, spilling his coffee all over him and I thought he was going to fire me right there on the spot. He put his massive paw of a hand on my shoulder and said to me, "Son, with that kind of hustle, someday someone will spill coffee on you."

The guests chuckle.

PERRY

And now, forty-three years later, I'm the editor-in-chief of the highest read news network in the WORLD!

They applaud. Some take pictures.

PeRRY

And thanks to the Daily Planet, the printed word still has meaning, and the truth doesn't have to remain hidden! Which brings me to the reason we're all here:

(holds out his arm)

Ladies and gentlemen, Lois Lane!

The guests all applaud. A beautiful, radiant LOIS LANE approaches Perry, who uses his open arm to hug her. Her dark hair is up and she wears a red dress. She kisses him on the cheek. She smiles and waves thankfully. Perry steps over to the side while Lois takes over as the center of attention. A WAITER hands her a GLASS OF CHAMPAGNE.

Perry hands her a JOURNALISM AWARD, which she graciously accepts. They shake hands. He kisses her cheek.

Behind the crowd, a DOOR OPENS and CLARK KENT stumbles through. He adjusts his tie and hair, as if he just had to get dressed in a hurry. He straightens himself up and his eyes light up when he sees Lois getting applauded. He joins in with the applause and it dies down quickly just as he joins, leaving him a tad embarrassed, but still unnoticed.

Lois

(OS)

Thank you, Perry.

Clark walks towards the crowd and joins. Behind him, two large intimidating men in black suits enter and stand by the door. A WAITER happens to be walking by. One of the suited men, MITCHELL, grabs him and pulls him close.

Mitchell

Hey, you! I need you to do something for me.

Mitchell slips a HUNDRED DOLLAR BILL into the Waiter's pocket.

Cut back to:

The crowd.

LOIS

It's about damn time, too!

Everyone chuckles. Clark just smiles.

LoiS

It's a collaborative effort. As much as I'd like to take solo credit for this- and you know I do-

(crowd chuckles)

I wouldn't have made it this far without help from a very important person.

Slow zoom in on Clark.

Clark looks around and blushes.

LoiS

(OS)

Someone who not only gave me professional support, but moral support. Someone who stood by my side even in the scariest of times. He's new to the biz, but he's already got the drive, the determination, the fire of someone special. Unfortunately, he couldn't be here because it's a school night.

Clark's expression turns to baffling confusion and surprise.

Lois

But I owe so much to my photographer, Jimmy Olsen.

The crowd applauds. Clark happily applauds young Olsen.

Perry approaches Lois but directs his attention towards the crowd.

PeRRY

Now for those of you who haven't read the evening edition, we have Lois here to thank for exposing Intergang and sending their boss Bruno Mannheim on a one-way trip to Ryker's Island!

Uproarious applause.

Insert: The men dressed in black, who whence in anger.

Perry raises his glass. Everyone follows.

PERRY

So I say this with great pride. Lois, someday someone will spill coffee on you. Let's raise a glass...

Insert: Clark looks around for a glass, but there's none handy.

PERRY

To Lois Lane! Enjoy the party!

Perry and Lois sip their champagne. The applause dies down and the crowd dispersed.

Lois approaches the coat check-in. She retrieves her purse and presses a cigarette between her lips. She then digs through her purse. Behind her, Clark approaches her.

The band starts to play slow jazz music. The guests start to slow dance in the background.

Clark

Hi, Lois.

She turns.

LoIS

Oh, hi Clark.

Clark

Congratulations. You really deserve it.

She only pays partial attention while she continues to search.

LOIS

Aw thanks.

(to herself)

Where did I put that damn...?

Clark notices the dancing behind him then turns to Lois, about to say something, but he stops.

ClARK

What are you looking for, Lois?

LoIS

(still not looking at him)

My lighter.

Clark focuses on her purse for a beat.

ClarK

Did you check that side compartment?

Lois

No, I don't put anything in there.

ClARK

Maybe check anyway. You never know.

Lois rolls her eyes and unzips the side compartment. She shoves her hand into it and her eyes widen. She pulls out her lighter.

LoiS

How did...?

Clark nervously leans in towards her.

ClARK

So, Lois. What do you say...?

LoIS

(turns)

Huh?

Clark gestures towards the other dancers. She understands but is reluctant.

LoiS

Oh, well... I was gonna...

Clark gently lifts her hand up. She gives a half-smile and takes his hand. She quickly puts her purse and items back and follows him.

They walk into the dance floor and face each other. They get close but Lois quietly exclaims. Clark accidentally stepped on her foot OC.

LOIS

Ow!

CLARK

I'm sorry.

Lois again rolls her eyes. They embrace and start slow dancing.

CLOSE on Clark, who's genuinely enjoying himself. Lois, however, is distracted.

ClARK

Is something the matter, Lois? I assumed you'd be ecstatic now that you're the most well-known journalist of our time.

Lois

(dismissive)

It's nothing.

ClARK

Lois... you can talk to me.

She looks into his eyes, then they dance closer. She lays her head on his chest.

Lois

I don't know. You're right, I should over the moon right now. And I don't know why, but even as I got that award and put on a smile for everyone, all I could feel was just... emptiness.

The music slowly goes quiet to completely mute and the background fades to black.

LOIS

Writing the news is all I ever wanted to do, so shouldn't I feel accomplished right now?

CLARK

Maybe you're so used to chasing your goals. Now that you've achieved them, you're hungry for a new challenge?

Lois goes quiet for a beat.

LOIS

Maybe...

(beat)

Clark, have you ever felt like you had a responsibility for something bigger? Like you're part of a giant jigsaw puzzle, but you don't know where you fit?

(scoffs at herself)

That sounds so ridiculous. I'm an award winning writer and I can't even form coherent sentences.

CLARK

No, I... I actually feel like that most of the time.

Clark suddenly doesn't sound so timid. In fact he sounds rather confident and his voice deepens.

ClARK

I don't think I told you this, but I'm an orphan. Since I was a kid, I always wondered where I came from and then maybe I can find my place in the world.

Lois looks up at him. This is their own special moment. They look into each others eyes. Their faces start to enclose.

The WAITER walks in frame behind them.

Waiter

Excuse me.

Suddenly the music is back and the lights turn back on. Lois and Clark separate. Clark slouches and presses his glasses up his nose. He's back to being timid.

The Waiter turns to Lois.

WAITER

I'm sorry. Miss Lane, you have a phone call in the lobby.

Lois composed herself.

LoIS

Thanks, Clark.

ClARK

Oh, um...

She and the Waiter exit. Clark is alone in frame. His gaze follows her.

CLARK

You're welcome.

CUT TO:

INT. LOBBY - NIGHT

Lois enters the lobby and approaches the SERVICE DESK. There's no one there. In fact, the lobby is deserted. She looks around.

LOIS

Hello?

From behind, a large HAND covers her mouth. It's the men in black suits. The one grabbing Lois is CROWNER. Another named JERICHO holds a gun up to her. Mitchell walks into frame in the background.

Lois lets out a muffled shout.

MiTCHELL

Bruno Mannheim sends his regards.

Jericho cocks his pistol.

MiTCHELL

He'd like to speak to you personally. Please don't struggle.

CUT TO:

INT. BALLROOM - NIGHT

Pan in on clark from behind.

Perry chats it up with Clark and a few other guests.

Clark slightly turns his head as if something caught his attention somewhere else. Perry's voice quickly tunes to silence.

Insert: close up of Clark's ear as it turns. Slow subtle zoom in.

SFX: Different background noises quickly fade in and out, almost like someone is quickly changing radio frequencies.

LoIS

(VO, muffled)

-don't TOUCH me!

Close on Clark's eyes, which he narrows with focus.

The angle changes to a wall. A BLURRY IMAGE begins to fade in. It's the men in black suits outside dragging a struggling Lois to their CAR.

Lois BITES Crowner's hand. He pulls it back in pain.

Crowner

Ahh! She bit me!

LoIS

You're lucky it was just your hand!

Jericho shakes his gun at her.

Jericho

Hey! Enough!

MiTCHELL

Get in the car!

Jericho steps in the back seat. Crowner pushes her in after Jericho, then hold his bitten hand as he enters behind her. Mitchell enters the driver seat.

Back to Clark. The sound is back to normal. Perry is still chatting.

Clark quickly glances around then steps out of frame, loosening his tie.

CUT TO:

INT. HALLWAY - NIGHT

Clark runs along a long dark abandoned hallway with windows along it. The windows emit light on Clark as he runs.

Clark yanks off his glasses and rips open his shirt, revealing a royal blue shirt underneath. Centered on his chest is a triangular yellow shape with a crooked red "S" on it.

Clark disappears in the shadow. He reappears in the next one. He's running much faster. For a brief moment he can be seen sans his tux shirt and jacket. Instead the rest of his blue shirt is revealed. It's long sleeved down to his wrists. He disappears in the shadow again.

He reappears for an even briefer moment, revealing his tux pants are gone and replaced with matching blue leggings. Red trousers cover his pelvis. He's running even faster.

He disappears and reappears in the shadows once more. For a moment, Clark is seen now sporting a king royal red cape and yellow belt. This is the yet-to-be-named SUPERMAN.

He makes a sharp turn through an open door. For a split second, his red boots can be seen lifting off the ground. Outside, the colorful figure of Superman can be seen flying away in the night sky.

CUT TO:

EXT. ROAD - NIGHT

The CAR is speeding down a lone dark back road.

CUT TO:

INT. CAR - NIGHT

Crowner and Jericho struggle to get Lois under control, who tries who fight with everything she has. Mitchell drives in the front seat.

CrOWNER

Why didn't we bring rope?

MiTCHELL

Why didn't we knock her out?

Jericho shakes his gun.

JERICHO

Hey! You want me to put an extra hole in your face?

Lois stops struggling.

CrOWNER

Good girl.

They suddenly grinds to a stop, their bodies leaning forward so far, they almost fall out of their seats.

CrOWNER

(to Mitchell)

What are you doing?!

Mitchell looks OC. His expression is of pure amazement. Crowner turns towards the direction Mitchell's looking. Their expressions match. Mitchell steps out of the car.

CUT TO:

EXT. ROAD - NIGHT

Camera PANS, following Mitchell exiting the car. In the foreground, the pan reveals Superman standing in front of their car. Their headlights shine a halo around his body. His cape gently flaps in the wind.

Mitchell approaches Superman. He laughs.

MiTCHELL

(laughing)

Are you dead serious with this outfit, bud?

Mitchell turns to his associates, then back to Superman, who stands there with his arms crossed.

Mitchell pulls out his pistol and points it at the caped man.

MITCHELL

So as I see it, you have three options. One, you move and we go on our way. Two, I could run your caped ass over. Or three, I could blow it away. Your choice, Elvis.

Superman smirks.

In a quick blurred motion, the Man of Steel SWIPES the pistol from a Mitchell's hand.

Close on Superman's hands. He presses his hands together, crushing the gun between his palms.

Camera pans up to his face.

Superman

Looks like I only have two options now.

Mitchell stands there, stunned. Unsure of what to do.

CUT TO:

INT. CAR - NIGHT

Crowner, Jericho, and Lois all sit there stunned. A beat passes. Crowner pushes Lois away and exits the vehicle, leaving Jericho holding her in place.

CUT TO:

EXT. CAR - NIGHT

Crowner immediately starts FIRING HIS GUN AT SUPERMAN.

Mitchell dives for the ground. Crowner stops firing.

MitCHELL

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!

Crowner's goes pale. His pistol hangs from his finger.

MiTCHELL

What?

CrOWNER

He's gone...

Mitchell gets up and looks around frantically. Superman is nowhere to be seen.

MitCHELL

Where did he go?

They look at each other.

MiTCHELL

Let's get out of here!

They jump back into the car.

CUT TO:

INT. CAR - NIGHT

Mitchell starts driving before Crowner can even sit down. They speed down the road.

MiTCHELL

The hell with this! I say we shoot her and say she tried to get away.

JeRICHO

Good idea!

Lois doesn't think so. She KICKS Jericho in the face and headbutts Crowner with the back of her head.

She crawls over Crowner. Her bound hands unlock the door from behind. The door swings open and she TUMBLES out of the door.

CUT TO:

EXT. ROAD - NIGHT

Lois falls out of the door.

Close on Lois's face. She tenses her face, awaiting impact from hitting the concrete, but she remains in place.

After a beat, she relaxes, confused.

She's being held in the arms of SUPERMAN.

SUPERMAN

Are you alright, Miss Lane?

Lois yelps and jumps out of his arms, landing awkwardly on her feet. She backs away, still in awe.

Superman smiles.

SUPERMAN

You don't have to be afraid. I won't harm you.

LOIS

You crushed that gun with your hands! You're so strong...!

SUPERMAN

I guess Nietzsche was right. "That which does not kill us makes us stronger". And that gun didn't kill me.

Lois relaxes. She smirks and raises an eyebrow. What a dork.

Superman hovers off the ground.

SUPERMAN

Will you please excuse me for a moment, Miss Lane?

She gasps at the sight of this man defying gravity with his will alone.

LoIS

Wait!

Superman stops.

LoiS

Who...?

SUPERMAN

I'm just here to help.

He smiles, then FLIES upward, disappearing into the night sky.

Lois stands there, looking up in awe.

A beat passes. Lois searches herself for her phone, but is disappointed when she realizes she doesn't have it.

She looks around. There's nothing around other than...

A PHONE BOOTH!

She runs in it and checks the receiver. It still works. She dials a number quickly.

A beat passes.

PERRY

(VO, muffled)

Perry white.

LoiS

Chief!

PERRY

(VO, muffled)

Lois! What the hell happened?!

LoiS

Chief, have a I got a story for you!

Bird's-eye-view: looking down on Lois, who sticks her head out of the booth and stares at the sky.

Lois

I think I'm about to get my second award.

CUT TO:

EXT. ROAD - NIGHT

The car is speeding down the road.

Superman descends from the sky and lands in several feet with great impact.

Mitchell sees him and smirks. He speeds up.

The vehicle is only a few yards away from Superman. He smiles.

Superman CLASPS ONTO THE HOOD OF THE CAR WITH HIS HANDS, STOPPING IT!

Mitchell FLIES through the front windshield, Crowner and Jericho end up in the front seat.

Superman grabs the bumper of the car one hand and under the carriage with the other and LIFTS THE CAR OVER HIS HEAD!

Crowner and Jericho yell in a panic as they roll around the seat.

Superman stains a bit. He shoves the FRONT OF THE CAR INTO A BOULDER, smashing it to pieces and sending the two men tumbling out of the doors and on the ground.

They crawl away backward. Superman tosses the car on the ground next to him. He slowly approaches Mitchell, who desperately tries to crawl away.

In the blink of an eye, Superman is SUDDENLY STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF MITCHELL!

Mitchell hollers. Superman lifts him up with ease.

SUPERMAN

Want to tell me where you were talking Miss Lane?

CUT TO:

EXT. RYKER'S ISLAND - DAWN

BRUNO MANNHEIM sits alone in his private jail cell. It's on one of the higher levels of the tall penitentiary, and Mannheim is lucky enough to have a view of the morning sun.

A FLAPPING RED CAPE enters the frame. A floating figure blocks the sun on Mannheim's barred window. He turns and approaches Superman, who looks in with his arms crossed.

Mannheim looks down to see there's nothing holding Superman up. He smirks.

Mannheim

I think you're what people are talking about when they say, "There's something you don't see everyday".

SUPERMAN

You're going to be seeing a lot more of me, Manheim, if you keep causing trouble.

MaNNHEIM

(coy)

Trouble? What kind of trouble could I get into in here?

SuPERMAN

I know it takes more than prison to keep you from running Intergang. Your men told me that after I stopped them from kidnapping Lois Lane last night.

Mannheim's expression drops.

MANNHEIM

Look here, Flying Man. You can't prove I had anything to do with that.

Superman hovers closer.

SUPERMAN

You're right. I can't. That's why this is your only warning.

Superman wraps his hand around one of the bars.

SUPERMAN

Because if I ever have to give you a second one...

Superman bends the bar forty-five degrees with no effort. Mannheim gasps.

SUPERMAN

You'll be conducting your business from the prison hospital... indefinitely.

Superman straightens the bar back. Again, with no effort.

Superman turns and flies away.

Mannheim watches him disappear in the distance.

MANNHEIM

(hollering)

YOU GOT MORE TO WORRY ABOUT THAN ME, BOY SCOUT! I GOTTA ADMIT, YOU GOT STYLE!

(beat)

WHAT DO THEY CALL YA?

CUT TO:

INT. SKYSCRAPER OFFICE - MORNING

In a fancy office high above the city of Metropolis, the morning edition of The Daily Planet is SLAPPED DOWN onto a marble desk.

The headline reads: "SUPERMAN' SAVES AWARD-WINNING REPORTER!"

Behind the desk, the silhouette of an intimidating bald man in an expensive ponders.

Luthor

"Superman"...

CUT TO BLACK.

The end

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

185 27 1
HER PAST & HIS FUTURE -a tale of love, mystery and drama Ending up in a year three decades away from yours when you just wanted to visit a temple fro...
76.3K 7.9K 51
With a princess killer to catch, a host of fairy-tale characters to wrangle and a crumbling career to resurrect, fallen hotshot Agent Fields has his...
5.4K 246 200
Author:Shen Tianyi, 神天衣 Alternative names:TLE, 领主之兵伐天下 Genre:Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Harem, Martial Arts, Wuxia Source:Gravity Tales Status:Ongoi...
13.9K 339 27
ရေးသားထားသောအကြောင်းအရာများသည် စိတ်ကူးယဉ်သက်သက်သာဖြစ်၍အချက်အလက် အမှားများပါခဲ့လျှင်ကြိုတင်၍တောင်းပန်ပါသည်။ Mafia type Action-Romance-Science #Ongoin...