Paris

By 19RaeNegade

In times where a war between the rich and the poor commences and evil lurks in the darkness, miraculous rebel... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77

67

151 11 6
By 19RaeNegade

{+}{+}{+}

19 years ago...

Sabine's P.O.V

"I do not understand why you would want me to accompany you to your fencing tournament," I said.

   Gabriel was analyzing his trusty saber. His new assistant, Nathalie, was overseeing the servants preparing Gabriel's fencing outfit.

   "Am I not supposed to be a secret?" I questioned.

   "Nonsense," Gabriel waved me off, "You are no mere secret. You are an ally and close friend of mine. I would like to treat you for accomplishing what many failed too, exterminating that pesky rat."

   "I still do not see why you invited me," I replied, "I have no reason to go."

   "Think of it as me returning a favor then. It is a way to get you out of the mansion without having to go on a covert mission and just have fun. You will not have to hide or commit any deeds," Gabriel explained.

   "You can just relax and enjoy the show. I know you are quite fond of sword fighting. You may even learn a few new fencing tricks from the professionals."

   I pursed my lips thoughtfully. If Gabriel was offering this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, why should I not grasp it? It is rare for the poor to attend and watch events as grand as this. It would be nice if I could learn some more techniques to sharpen my skills. It would be fun to watch a match for once instead of being in one with bloodshed.

   That might be a very nice change of scenery, especially in my line of work.

   "And how exactly am I going to attend with you? Would I be your guard?" I asked. Gabriel frowned at this and let out a sigh.

   "You are by far an amazing warrior and you should always take great pride in that honor. Unfortunately, society will not accept you as one," he explained.

   I scoffed in offense, "Is it because I am a female? That they only see women as trophies for men to show off and bear an heir."

   Gabriel gave a simple nod, "In these times of ours, women are treated unfairly. I do hope that the future changes this someday so that we stand on equal ground, whether it be gender or class. For now, you will be known as an elite servant. You will join Nathalie and Emilie in the seating area."

   I am starting to think this may not be worth my time. I have worked aimlessly through the ranks and became his best fighter. Now, he wants me to rid myself of that honor and pretend to be back to where I first started.

   I take great offense to this!

   I should be walking alongside him as that warrior he deemed me to be. Why cannot a woman have such a title? Why are woman looked down upon as mere objects to raise reputation for their family's name?

   Why are we not good enough?

   Before I could yell at Gabriel, the door to his office creaked open. Gabriel glanced over at the newcomer before a love-struck look crinkled his face. My attention was brought to the intrusion as well, relaxing the tension in my body.

   "Darling," Emilie greeted her husband before doing the same to me, "and Sabine! It is lovely to see you again!"

   "Lady Agreste, the pleasure is mine," I replied with a bow. Emilie was such a sweet and lovely woman. She has never once faked who she was and respected everyone just as Gabriel does. They are both very lucky to have found each other...but their love can be a bit much sometimes.

Emilie approached her husband, giving him a sweet peck. She smiled so brightly that she could outshine the sun and had a loving twinkle in her eye. Emilie truly loved her partner just as much as Gabriel loved her.

Gabriel wrapped an arm around Emilie, bringing her close into a side hug.

My nose scrunched a bit in disgust at the display of affection. I am usually put off by romance, especially as tooth-rotting as the Agreste couple. The only time I have ever truly witnessed a pure, loving relationship was actually Emilie and Gabriel.

Granted, I have never experienced such a relationship. Although, I am far from interested in getting involved with such a headache as love.

I could never see myself in that sort of position or find someone that makes me feel such bliss. It all sounded like a bunch of nonsense. The only future I could see myself in was the one I already have right now—being Gabriel's top assassin.

Besides, love and romance were quite revolting, especially when ones that were only out of benefit for the reputation.

"Are you ready for your tournament?" Emilie asked.

"I believe so. Have you packed up your essentials?" Gabriel asked.

"Miss Shaylin is tucking my clothes in my bag as we speak," Emilie confirmed before turning to me, "Are you joining us, Sabine? It would be a wonderful trip so we can catch up on lost time and I believe you would truly enjoy watching the matches."

I was taken aback by what Emilie said and the hope laced in her voice. She truly wished for me to take part in this trip just as much as Gabriel.

"I have known these two for about a year and they continue to surprise me," I thought. Switching my gaze between the couple, I let out a sigh and crossed my arms.

"Very well, I shall go," I relented. I hope that I did not make the wrong choice.

Emilie's smile widened, expressing her excitement. She detached herself from Gabriel's side and stood before me, grabbing my hands. I took a step back, not expecting what Emilie did.

"Wonderful! Absolutely wonderful!" Emilie squealed, "We will have so much fun!"

It was at that moment, I started regretting my decision.

"Uh...yes?" I answered, unsurely.

{+}{+}{+}

The carriage pulled up to the arena's entry point.

A guard graciously opened the door and another offered a hand to the woman for assistance. I scoffed at such fake chivalry, not taking up on that offer. I am capable of exiting a carriage just as much as I am entering it.

Me, Emilie, and Nathalie walked through a gate where stands were lined on either side of a pathway to the arena. Gabriel had entered from a different location of the arena already and was currently signing in with his other fencing competitors.

   Many rich folk wandered around the area chortling, sending servants to buysnacks and drinks at the stands for them, and awaiting to enter the arena.

   "Would you like anything, Sabine? It will be my treat," Emilie asked in a whisper.

   "A very kind offer but I will have to decline. It would look odd if you were giving snacks to your servant instead of the other way around," I responded.

   "I do not very much care what all these people think. But if it makes you worried, we are going to have our own box seats since we are with a fencer. So, you will not have to concern yourself with anyone seeing you once we are there," Emilie explained.

   "Still, I will pass on the offer but thank you, Lady Agreste," I replied.

   "Alright," Emilie relented, "would you mind getting some for me? Those little tea cakes look and smell absolutely divine."

   "Of course," I agreed.

   "Splendid! We shall wait for you near the arena's entrance," Emilie said, gesturing over to the entryway.

   With a nod, I made my way into the line for tea cakes. It was quite a long line made up of other servants waiting in line for their masters.

   "This might take a while," I thought. My vigilant eyes caught a strange silhouette passing behind the stand I was waiting in line for.

   A rather tall, broad-shouldered man, looking similar to a giant. He seemed to be sneaking around with a bag and a Sabre.

   I found this quite odd. Should not the fencers be entering on the other side of the arena to sign in that they are here? Why is one here?

   As much as I did not want to lose my spot in line, I had to find out what this man was up too. For all I knew, he could be a danger. I do not work under the leader of the SSS for nothing. It is my sworn duty to protect people whether they deserve it or not.

   "Forgive me, Emilie. You will have to wait longer for your cakes," I thought. Hopefully, she would not mind since this is my responsibility.

   I stepped out of line and discreetly followed the giant man. I managed to duck behind the stands and drew closer with quiet footsteps. The moment I was on his tail, I snatched his Sabre from his bag which gained his attention.

   The moment he turned around, I pointed his sword at his nose. His eyelids blew wide in surprise and stumbled back a bit.

   I narrowed my gaze, showing no fear despite his rather intimidating appearance. I was not afraid of him. I have taken down many dangerous foes, although none as big or tall as him.

   "State your business," I commanded with a tone as sharp as the sword I was wielding.

   "Whatever do you mean?" he questioned in a nervous manner. His hands were held up in surrender, trying to ease me away from doing anything drastic.

   I was a bit taken aback by the wavering in his voice. I did not show it though on my face. This man may look intimidating but he acted more like a gentle giant. A large man with a small demeanor.

   Why does he not just show me his true colors? Is he trying to get me to lower my guard before striking me? That must be it. There is no way someone who could size up to a grizzly bear has the soul of a teddy bear.

  "Competitors enter on the opposite side of the arena," I stated, "Tell me, why are you over here?"

   "I-I am a competitor but I-I was helping in the tea cake s-stand since it is rush hour," he answered, feebly.

I scanned the man up and down, puzzled by what he said.

"I do not believe you," I hissed, "You do realize what you said is complete and utter nonsense."

"Why does it have to be nonsense?" he questioned, "I speak only the truth."

"The poor are the only ones who run the stands and the rich are the only ones who can compete in the tournament," I explained, "Now explain how that makes sense that you are doing both."

"If you do not believe me, then may I show you? Come with me to sign in as proof that I am competing," the man negotiated. His presence held a gentle atmosphere, not the slightest hint of malevolence in the air surrounding him.

I lowered his Sabre and accepted his deal, "Lead the way then."

I followed in step beside him. I kept a trained eye on him in case he decided to pull any funny business.

If this man is a rich person, why was he treating me with respect? Not that I was not just pointing a Sabre at his face just a moment ago. He could have called the guards on me. He might be leading me on by doing so at the sign-in area when we arrive there.

I did not want to cause the Agreste family any trouble if this man did sell me out for harassment. I can only pray they will understand why I did so in the first place.

Maybe I had overreacted a little? I do have a hard time trusting people, especially ones acting sketchy. I hope this man is as gentle as I made him out to be and does not hold any grudges like most of the wealthy folk.

We walked in silence for merely a minute until he decided that the silence was too much.

"My name is Thomas Dupain by the way but you may call me Tom. May I ask what your name is?" he asked, curiously.

"That is irrelevant," I answered, "There is no need to know our names when there is little chance of us ever meeting again after this. And even if we did, we cannot socialize with each other if your claims of being a rich man are true. You should not even allow someone like me to use your first name."

The man frowned, "Why do you believe that?"

"We are from two different classes. Think of how much trouble that would cause for the both of us," I explained. This man must be thick-headed if he does not realize the problem of a poor woman and a rich man even talking together.

The only reason it is okay right now is due to being concealed behind the stands.

"And you claim that what I do is nonsense," Tom huffed.

"Excuse me?" I questioned, narrowing my gaze at him.

"I honestly do not understand why the rich treat the poor so terribly. We are all humans. Why cannot we get along with each other? Many of the poor class that I know are very kind and should be given the same treatment in return. But they are treated so awfully. I could never understand that," Tom said.

I am bewildered by his words. This man acts so much like Gabriel and Emilie. I never thought I would find another kind rich person. He must be deceiving me somehow but how come I do not see or hear any lies then?

He spoke only with honesty.

This was very surreal to me.

"Why were you assisting in the tea cake stand?" I asked.

"I told you I was helping due to rush hour," he answered.

"Yes, but how? Do you know how to make tea cakes? Surely, you were not out front selling them or else I would have noticed," I said.

"Oh no, I was in the back baking the cakes. I love baking as a hobby along with fencing. What you may see as work is something I enjoy doing from the bottom of my heart," Tom said, happily.

I hummed in acknowledgment. So, that is the reason. Just something fun for him? And here I thought, he was helping working the stand out of kindness.

"Do you enjoy fencing?" Tom asked, "You seem to know how to wield a sword."

I clenched my jaw. I cannot let him know that I am not truly a servant girl but an assassin in disguise. This really was not a good idea, especially exploiting my knowledge of sword fighting. I should have just ignored him instead of confronting him.

"You must be severely mistaken. I have never once wielded a sword," I lied.

   "If you say so," Tom replied. I could tell he was not convinced but glad he did not push me for answers. At least, he is clever enough to acknowledge that much...or possibly did not want to aggravate me considering I have his weapon.

   We arrived at the sign-in area and approached an available person to sort out Tom's signing in.

   "May I have your name?" the worker asked.

   "Thomas Dupain," Tom said. The worker scrolled down the list before reaching under the table. He brought out a piece of paper along with ink and a feather. There was a number tag included. This all deemed Tom to be truthful in what he said, making me relax in relief.

   "Why was I so nervous? Did I hope he was speaking the truth?" I wondered in my mind.

   "Please write your signature right here," the worker said. The worker pointed to a blank line next to Tom's name on a list with the rest of the competitors.

   "Then, I need it again on this waiver," the worker added.

   Once Tom signed his name, he took his number and was instructed where he would need to be.

   "Thank you very much for your help," Tom said with genuine gratitude. The worker was surprised by this display of respect just as much as I was.

   "May I have my sword back, please?" Tom asked me. I stared down at the fencing instrument one last time before returning it to its rightful owner. I will honor that I was wrong about him.

   For some reason, I am happy being wrong. This man has definitely caught my interest but I cannot let my curiosity get the best of me. Getting close to people will only make my job harder and may even become my weakness.

   I have to keep everyone at arm's length or further. The curse of being an assassin but it does not matter to me.

   It is not like I ever had anyone that I cared for that deeply before.

   "I wish you the best of luck then," I told him before making my way back to the tea cake stand. I am sure Emilie and Nathalie are wondering what happened to me.

   "Wait!" Tom called, catching my attention.

   I had not noticed until now but his eyes were a soft, chocolate brown. I could not help melting into his gaze, finding it almost calming and warm. It made him look adorable.

   "Is there something wrong with me?" I thought, "I am supposed to be a cold-hearted assassin. I should not be thinking these things or giving him the time of day."

   "Will I really never see you again?" he asked, sheepishly.

   I should tell him that was correct. Whatever this thing is going on between us should not continue. Our acquaintance should slowly dry out and return to being complete strangers again or better yet, forget about each other's existence.

   Yet, I will never understand what force drove me to such lengths. Whatever invisible string he tied to me and drew me in like magic. How was this possible? We have only known each other for only a few minutes.

   "Sabine," I said, making him perk up in curious surprise.

   "My name is Sabine Cheng."

{+}{+}{+}

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 21.4K 32
Marinette and Adrien are in their terminale year of Lycée (senior year of High School) and still fighting Hawkmoth under their secret identities as L...
484K 11.3K 60
During their Junior year in Highschool, Marinette was forced to go back to her roots. The country of China. Leaving her friends, and Adrien was hard...
63.2K 1.1K 59
Ladybug is in love with Adrien but her new found love for Chat Noir has caused her to avoid him. Chat Noir's Love for Ladybug begins to fade as he re...
3.8K 82 27
Marinette has been missing for a week and no one knows where she could have gone. Ladybug went on a mission and she's left Chat Noir in charge while...