Falling In Manchester

By Sofie_tomlinson28

Harry, nineteen and has just moved away from home to attend the University of Arts, has no idea that much mor... More

Chapter One - Harry
Chapter Two - Louis
Chapter Three - Harry
Chapter Four - Louis
Chapter Five - Harry
Chapter Six - Louis
Chapter Seven - Harry
Chapter Eight - Louis
Chapter Nine - Harry
Chapter Ten - Louis
Chapter Eleven - Harry
Chapter Twelve - Louis
Chapter Thirteen - Harry
Chapter Fourteen - Louis
Chapter Sixteen - Louis
Chapter Seventeen - Harry
Chapter Eighteen - Louis
Chapter Nineteen - Harry
Chapter Twenty- Louis
Chapter Twenty-One - Harry
Chapter Twenty-Two - Louis
Chapter Twenty-Three - Harry
Chapter Twenty-Four - Louis
Chapter Twenty-Five - Harry
Chapter Twenty-Six - Louis
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Harry
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Louis
Epilogue - Harry

Chapter Fifteen - Harry

421 22 11
By Sofie_tomlinson28

Oliver was walking down the hallway, his nose yellow and blue, the result of a bruise painted along it. He was staring angrily at Harry, his eyes boring holes into his skin. Like acid.

Harry adverted his eyes, an uncomfortable feeling creeping up his neck. He feared Oliver would go near him again, but they simply passed each other. His shoulders eased down, an exhale escaping his lips. He hoisted up the bag on his shoulder and aimed for the doors.

* * *

Working alongside Mary in the flower shop had truly become Harry's next favourite thing in the world. He loved the smell, the feeling of picking out the flowers to stand in the window, and he loved the customers. And he loved Mary's stories. Listening to her talk about her and her late husband's adventures when the shop was empty over a cup of tea was a comforting thing that Harry hadn't known he had missed in life.

After his lectures, and his rather weird eye contact with Oliver, Harry had a shift at work. He arrived at four, a headache forming behind his eyes. He groaned, getting off his bike.

He hurried into the shop, the bell above his head chiming. There were a few people there, and Mary was helping a woman pick out a bouquet of roses.

"Harry!" she delightedly said. "You're here. Can you go to the cashier once you have redressed?"

"Yes, of course," Harry said, plastering on a smile. "I'll be quick."

He hurried to the back of the shop, quickly dismissing his jacket to the corner. He grabbed his flower apron, tying it around his waist. He grabbed his phone from his bag, and quickly checked his notifications. A soft smile touched his lips when he saw Louis had texted him.

Mr Handsome Boyfriend: Hey, love. How was your lecture? Are you at work now?

Harry grinned sheepishly, his eyes glued to the message. He quickly typed a reply.

Harry: Yep, I am, but I can feel a headache incoming. For once, I just want my shift to end and go home.

The reply came only seconds later.

Mr Handsome Boyfriend: That sounds awful :(( Anything I can do to help?

Harry: Unless you can send an angel, then I doubt it. But I have to get to work now. See ya <3

He pocketed his phone, scurrying back into the shop.

For an hour, he switched between standing behind the cashier and helping customers. But then the shop emptied out, and Mary insisted they would sit in the back room for a cup of tea.

They moved to the backroom, Mary starting up the kettle. "So, Harry, how's Louis?"

Harry grinned, resting his chin in his palm. "He's great."

"Oh, Sweetheart, you are glowing with happiness," Mary said. She began preparing the teabags.

Harry scrunched his nose, trying to ignore the pounding between his eyes. "He makes me really happy."

"For how long is it you have been together now?" She poured water into the mugs.

"About a week," Harry said. "Best week of my life."

Mary joined him at the table, the two mugs in her hand. She placed one in front of Harry.

"Thank you," he said.

"You're welcome," she said.

Harry stirred around in his cup, pressing his palm to his forehead. Why had Oliver stared at him like that?"

"Harry, are you alright, dear?" Mary asked.

"Just a bit of a headache," Harry brushed it off. "It's nothing."

Mary hummed. "If you are sure." She took a sip of her tea. "Now, tell me about Louis."

"Why can't I hear one of your stories?" Harry asked, grinning. "They're amazing. And hilarious."

"Because," Mary said, "I want to hear about the present and not the past. So, tell me about him."

"Well, alright." Harry wet his lips. "What do you wanna know?"

"How did the two of you meet?" Mary inquired.

Harry let out a soft chuckle, thinking back to the day in September. It already felt like so long ago. "I actually met him in a Starbucks, buying a drink for my roommate Niall. And when I saw him, I was like, 'Oh my God, this is the most stunning human I've ever laid eyes on...'"

Mary listened as Harry told about their meeting, when Louis joined for bed building, that first party, studying in the library, Louis asking him out... He talked about it all with a flush to his cheeks, and his dimples pooling in his cheeks.

"This is so dreamy," Mary wistfully sighed. "I remember that feeling all too well."

"I don't think I have ever been this happy before," Harry giddily said. "He makes me feel like I'm the most precious thing on the planet."

"Probably because to him, you are."

Harry wet his lips, his cheeks flushing. "Perhaps."

The sound of the bell above the door was heard from the shop.

"Let me take this," Harry said, standing up. "I think I know how to do it by now."

Mary grinned. "Of course you do. You're my best worker."

"I'm your only worker."

"The best."

"By that logic, aren't I also your worst."

"Hush, there is a customer. Go serve them."

Harry shook his head amusedly. "Alright, alright." He left the room, his eyes directed to the floor. "Hello, anything I can—" He looked up, and stopped in surprise. "Louis?"

Louis looked deep frozen. His cheeks and his were red, his hands stuffed into his pockets, and he was visibly shaking. Yet his whole body seemed to gain warmth at the sight of Harry. "Haz, hi!"

Harry's heart skipped a beat. "Hi, what... what are you doing here?" He walked around the cashier's table, needing to be closer to Louis.

Louis grinned shyly. "Just wanted to drop something off." He reached into his pocket, pulling out a small plastic box. Pain meds. Louis looked up, meeting Harry's eyes. "For your head."

Harry didn't know what to say, his eyes darting between the small box and Louis' eyes. "I... Which head?"

Louis snorted, stepping even closer to Harry. Hands on Harry's waist, he reached up to kiss Harry's lips softly. "This one," he whispered as they parted.

"Thank you," Harry breathed. "You really didn't have to."

Louis shrugged, grinning. "I wanted to."

Harry wet his lips. "You're, like, the best boyfriend ever, did you know?"

A delicate blush spread over Louis' cheekbones, making them crimson with pleasure instead of cold. It really was Harry's favourite thing. "I can only say the same."

"Do you wanna stay for a bit?" asked Harry. "It's freezing outside. We have tea."

"I would love to," Louis said, "but I unfortunately have plans. Though, I do need to buy some flowers. Wanna assist me?"

Harry grinned. "Yeah, sure. What are you looking for?"

Louis wet his lips. "Something romantic."

Harry pursed his lips, crossing his arms. "Someone in mind?"

"Oh yeah, I definitely have someone in mind," Louis said, stuffing his hands into his pockets. He rolled on the soles of his feet. "He's quite great. Tall, handsome. And he's the kindest person I've ever met. And despite being a cat person, I really like him."

Harry sucked his bottom lip into his mouth, looking at the ground shyly. "I'm sure he likes you a lot too," whispered Harry.

"Yeah?" Louis stepped closer to Harry, sneaking the meds into the small pocket on Harry's apron. "You really think so?"

Harry placed his hands on Louis' waist, pulling him closer. He let his lips ghost above Louis' as he replied, "Yeah, I really, really am."

Louis exhaled, his hand coming to rest on Harry's jaw. At that moment, Harry couldn't care less for the pounding in his head. "Wanna tell which kinda flowers he would like?"

Harry wet his lips. Their noses brushed. Butterflies came alive. "I think... well, he really likes tulips."

"That's a pretty flower."

Harry played with the hairs at the nape of Louis' neck. "They remind him of his boyfriend."

"Please kiss me," whispered Louis, breathless.

Harry did, pressing their lips together. It was warm, soft. Harry never wanted to stop, but they also were at his workplace, so after a bit, he pulled away. "Let me get them ready for you, yeah?"

Harry found the flowers, wrapping them in paper. Louis eyed him as he did so, and he was also pretty sure Louis was taking pictures of him while he worked. "Admiring the work?" Harry grinned, tying a bow on the bouquet wrapping.

"Nah," Louis said. "I'm admiring the worker."

"Oh." Harry tried to bite back his smile but to no luck. Instead, he changed the object. "I saw Oliver today."

It was almost comical how quickly Louis' body tensed. "What?"

"Yeah," Harry said, his brows furrowed. "I walked past him in the hallway. Looked like someone had hit him in the face. And he looked very angry at me. At least good to know he no longer cares about me, right?" He let out a humourless chuckle. Harry didn't like to admit it, but since that party, his mind had often drifted to what would have happened if Louis hadn't been there.

Sometimes, Harry was too much of a push-over. Unable to stand up to himself. It had been a patterns since he was little. Espically with his bullies.

Louis exhaled. "So, yeah, about that—"

"Did you hit him?" Harry asked, his lips parting in surprise. 

"He was acting like an arsehole," Louis said, tone defensive. "And I didn't mean for it to, but it just kinda happened, and—"

"Lou, relax," chuckled Harry. "I know you're not a violent person. Whatever reason you had, I'm sure it was good. Also, he's a prick."

Louis' tension eased from his shoulders. "I was planning on telling you, but it just never... came up. I'm sorry."

"Hey." Harry placed his finger beneath Louis' chin, tilting his head up. "It's okay." He connected their lips in a soft kiss. "Really, I mean it. Also, your flowers are good to go."

"Thank you, how much is it?"

"It's on the house." Both Louis and Harry directed their eyes to the door where Mary was standing.

"Thank you, Mary," Louis said, scoping the bouquet into his arms. "I better get going, then."

Harry pursed his lips. "When will you give the bouquet?"

Louis wriggled his eyebrows. "Wait and see."

* * *

Two hours later, and much less of a headache, Harry walked up the steps to his apartment. He was tired, sweaty, yet still smelled an awful lot of flowers, but his day had turned good the moment he saw Louis in the shop, so he was not complaining.

The door was unlocked as he stepped inside, and he yelled out, "Nigel, I am home!"

Niall showed up in his vision, a bowl of cereal in his hands. "Sup, Harold." A mischievous smile was playing on his lips. "How are ya doing?"

Harry looked weirdly at him. "What is it? Cut the shit, and tell me."

Niall scrunched his nose. "Never heard that before. 'Cut the shit'. Sounds unhygienic."

Harry rolled his eyes fondly. "Whatever. What is it?"

Niall shrugged, still grinning. "Just... go to your room."

"Alright," Harry slowly spoke. "I will, but I gotta admit you are slightly freaking me out."

Niall wriggled his eyebrows and left.

Sighing, Harry shrugged off his coat and stepped out of his Converse. A curious frown was on his face, he walked to his room.

When he opened the door, he did at first not notice the change, but then his eyes landed on the bed. On it lay the flowers, a brand-new record, a box of chocolate, and an envelope.

Harry's hand flew to cover his mouth, his knees buckling beneath him. God, Louis was so—

He walked to the bed, carefully taking the record. The Rise and Fall of Ziggi Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. Harry could feel tears press behind his eyelids.

He let his fingers trail the petals of the flowers he himself had wrapped, and his eyes landed on the chocolate. It was with caramel. He slowly picked up the envelope and unsealed it.

Inside, there was a letter, and a few pictures. Harry grabbed the pictures at first, letting his eyes trail over them. It was three pictures, some Louis had taken that day when they had been doing Louis' assignment on Ordinary People. All showed Harry in the act of some task, and in the light of them, Harry saw himself the way Louis saw him. He knew because on the back of one of them, Louis had written This is the way I see you, like art.

Harry might actually have started crying.

He unfolded the letter.

Dear Harry,

Today I've been your boyfriend for a week and a day. I can already tell you it has been the best eight days of my life. Thank you for bringing sunshine into my life and a reason to wake up with a smile. Ever since I saw you for the first time, I was smitten with you, and it only increases day by day. I hope this can help a bit with your Monday. And help that sore head :)) *Which one*

-Louis

Tears were in Harry's eyes as he pulled out his phone, typing.

Harry: Thank you so much, Lou <3 Call me later?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.1K 970 36
Louis Tomlinson was your typical grade-A uni student. He hides behind his books behind the counter of the local coffee shop. With his life-long best...
151K 5.7K 10
Louis is an eighteen year old university student with an anxiety disorder. His only friend is Niall, who outshines Louis with his smarts and his pers...
1.4M 52.1K 17
College AU where Harry studies law and psychology. Louis is a philophobic frat boy who's majoring in acting, plays footie and needs tutoring in psych...
923 50 48
Harry Styles is a university History professor, highly trained in his profession. He's proud of what he does, and isn't afraid to admit it. Things a...