Sometimes Hate is Enough

By auroranequam

The story follows the events of the night when Arnav tried to force Khushi into marrying him. More

Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Epilogue I
Epilogue II

Chapter 19

2.7K 231 18
By auroranequam

Arnav

"But, Sasuma, let's go after Holi." Mami suggested this as she ate her breakfast the next morning.

"No. I have already given them my word. We are leaving the day after tomorrow." Nani replied firmly but refused to look at her.

"Amma, how can we go so suddenly? Mama asked.

"Why? Why can't we go?" Nani asked as she looked at Mama with her brows creasing.

"Sasuma, don't get angry... Why don't we go today? Since the day after tomorrow is very close to Holi, we also have to prepare for Holika Dahan." Mami tried none the less and gestured to Di to say something.

"Yeah, Nani. Mami is also right. Why don't we visit them today or... tomorrow?" Di said this while Akash and I quietly ate our breakfast.

Nani placed her napkin on the table with a sigh before she started explaining, "When I informed Madhumati Ji about our intention to visit, she invited us to celebrate Holi with them. In Lucknow." She paused and looked at us. "And that's why we will be leaving the day after tomorrow."

"They are not in Delhi?" Mama asked the most obvious question, but Nani patiently shook her head in answer.

The whole table fell silent and stared at Nani as soon as she finished. I ate the last bite of my toast and cleaned my hands on a napkin before drinking my remaining juice and finally looking up.

"Let me know when you want to leave and which hotel you would like to stay in. I'll arrange everything." I said it loudly and looked at Nani.

"Book the tickets for the day after tomorrow and for the hotel..." Di said as she glanced at everyone, but Nani kept looking at me.

"You are coming with us." She said this without taking her eyes off me.

I held her eyes for a moment before speaking.

"Nani, I don't think I should. Also, I have some very important meetings before Holi. So..."

"You are coming. That's final." She glared at me.

"Fine." Because why fight a losing battle!

"And there's no need for a hotel." Her voice softened, like she wasn't glaring at me a second ago. "She asked us to stay with them."

"At their house?" Mama, but again asked the obvious. God, Mama. This time, Nani didn't bother to answer and avoided him. Which was completely understandable. Because I would have done the same.

"It will be really fun!" Di said as she smiled excitedly. "I'll be with Payal and Khushi after such a long time."

"Hello-Hi-Bye-Bye! Surely fun, Anjali Bitiya, but how are we to stay with them, Sasuma?" Mami voiced my thoughts, and I again looked at Nani for her answer.

"I'm sure they thought of something when they invited us." Akash said as he leaned back on his chair.

"Yes, but..." Mami tried.

"Is your comfort more important than your son's happiness?" Nani asked while shooting a glare in her direction.

Mami pressed her lips together and glanced at Akash for a moment before answering, "But I also need to be alive if I'm to care for my son's happiness, right, Sasuma?" Mami...

Nani stared at her with utter shock on her face for a second before she neutralized her expression and said, "Fine, then. I'll call them and tell them that our Manorama is not able to choose her son before her comfort, so we won't be able to come when it was us who suggested the meeting."

I waited for Mami to finally agree while I typed on my phone because there's no way Nani is going to take a no for an answer.

"Fine. I'll sleep in their shed." Mami gave in as she took a slice of apple and took a bite with a sad look on her face.

*

It has been almost two hours since I started driving from the airport towards downtown Hazratganj with Akash sitting quietly on the passenger seat and Di and Nani on the backseat looking outside the window while Mama and Mami were in the seat behind them, where Mama slept with his mouth slightly open and Mami looked at the crowded street with a disgusted look on her face, but sometimes she got very excited.

"Should I show someone the address and ask for directions?" Akash asked as she looked at me with a small piece of paper in hand where the address was written.

I twisted my mouth slightly before I nodded and slowly parked the car on his side of the road. He rolled down his window and tried to ask a passing man, maybe in his fifties, for directions. But that man just left, avoiding him.

"Why did we stop, Chote?" Di asked from behind, but before I could answer, Mami said, "Maybe Arnav Bitwa wanted to buy something for his dearest Mami."

I quietly sat in my seat and waited for her to finish while my brows rose as Akash continued to ask for directions. I slightly looked over my shoulders and answered Di's question.

"We stopped for directions."

"Oh." Di nodded thoughtfully before turning to Nani again and talking inaudibly.

Akash turned to me with a sigh while closing his window. I turned my gaze back on the road and changed the gear before I again started driving.

"Should I call Madhumati Ji for directions?" Nani asked.

I shared a small glance with Akash before again focusing on the road.

"Let's ask someone again. But if we don't get any direction, then call them." Akash said as he pointed ahead at a man who was drinking something while sitting on a scooter.

I stopped the car next to him as Akash rolled down his window and asked him the directions while I drummed my fingers on the steering wheel waiting.

"Are you going to Khushi Bitiya's house?" The man asked. Of course, everyone knows her.

"Ji," Akash answered.

"I'm also going there. I'll take you." The man said it with a smile, drained the remaining water, and started his scooter.

I followed him quietly for almost twenty minutes before asking Akash, "Do you think he's legit?... I think he's a fraud."

He gave me a look that said, seriously?

"What?" I asked, raising a single brow while glancing between him and the road.

"Just drive." He answered with a shake of his head and looked out the window just as the scooter in front of us stopped. I also followed suit and stopped right behind him.

"What happened?" Akash asked as he peered his head out of the window.

"I'll go inside and ask someone to open the other half of the gate for your car to enter." The man replied and went inside through the half-open gate with his scooter.

I waited patiently for that someone to be Khushi as Mami spoke in general.

"Do you see anything? I can't see a thing inside because of this wall."

I kept staring at the gate, waiting for her, but a boy, maybe in his twenties, came out and looked at the car before opening the gate wide. I sighed internally and drove through the gate slowly because I wasn't aware of the layout. But the boy who opened the gate motioned for me to park straight ahead as I saw a big open area or driveway inside with a scooter already parked in front of the house, and I followed suit.

"Are we in the right place?" Mami asked from behind. Her voice sounded both shocked and surprised.

"That scooterwala said this is the address." Mama replied. Thank God, he's not sleeping anymore.

A knock sounded on Akash's window before he rolled it down.

"You're Raizada?" That boy asked, and when Akash nodded, he ran back inside. Akash and I shared a look before Nani cleared her throat and spoke.

"Now, I want every single one of you to behave yourself and not embarrass me. Especially Manorama and Chote." I stilled when I heard it but obediently nodded because I also didn't want anything to go wrong now.

As we were getting out of the car, the boy returned, but with Bua Ji and Khushi's mother following right behind.

"Namaste!" Nani said with a smile, accompanied by Di, Akash, and Mama, Mami, right behind as she walked up to the house before climbing the three steps and stopping near the two smiling women.

"Namaste!" They replied as I closed the car door with my coat on my arm.

"Bitwa, give Manoj the keys; he'll bring the bags in." Bua Ji said to me and motioned for me to come in. I nodded, handed the keys to the boy named Manoj, and followed everyone inside.

I was welcomed into a big, traditional-looking living room as I entered through the heavy double door. On my left, an enclosed wooden staircase turned right, hiding from my eyes.

I walked up to my family and sat on a sofa beside Akash while Nani and Bua Ji spoke about something quietly while Di spoke to Aunty.

"Aunty Ji, Where are Payal and Khushi?" Di asked, looking around as Manoj served everyone water. Yes, Where is she?

"Payaliya is in the kitchen, but she'll be here anytime. But Khushi... I think she's here somewhere." Aunty replied as she looked around. Where are you?

Di nodded as Nani spoke up loudly this time.

"Your house is really beautiful. It has an old touch."

"Actually, this is Khushi's parents house. It was closed all this time, and now that we're here, we are renovating it. But you'll have to forgive us for the loud noises." Bua Ji explained.

"Arre, it's completely fine. But if anyone has to apologize, then it's us since we wanted to come." Nani replied.

"It means Phati Sar.. I mean, Khushi owns this house now?" Mami asked with her eyes slightly wide.

"Ji." Aunty answered before looking over her shoulders for a second at a door by the dining table where Manoj stood and added, "Excuse me for a moment."

Nani nodded with a smile as Bua Ji turned to Di and asked, "How are you and the baby, Bitiya?" I also looked at her to see if she was uncomfortable or not. But she seemed fine.

"With everyone's prayer, we are both fine, Bua Ji." Di answered with a smile.

"Thank the Nandkishore! And don't hesitate to tell me anything you want to eat, no matter what time it is. Also, I made some Achar for you." Bua Ji said as she returned her smile.

Aunty returned from that door, which I guess was the kitchen, with Payal behind her. I waited for Khushi to follow, but disappointment wrapped around me as no one came out. Payal greeted everyone, and I gave her a tight smile before I drained my glass of water as she sat down next to Di while Akash stared at her, but Payal just gave him a very short glance and engaged in a conversation with Di.

I looked around with a sigh and... Chum-chum-chum... No, this can't be happening right now. Not in front of everyone. I don't..

"Manoj, Go and find Sanka Devi and bring her straight here." Bua Ji loudly said, and Manoj dashed outside through the front door after whispering something to her and Aunty. Where are you, Khushi?

"Why don't you all freshen up and get some rest?" Aunty suggested that, and a loud sound came from outside.

Nani nodded, and we all stood, then she suddenly said, "We should wait for Khushi Bitiya."

"You don't worry. As soon as I get a hold of Sanka Devi, I'll bring her straight to you." Bua Ji promised. "But till then, you all rest, and I'll send tea." And asked Payal to show us our rooms.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

516K 25.7K 55
A beautiful love story of Arnav and Kushi who got married in an most unexpected way.....
203K 11K 43
When one craves for love, the other calls it a sham. If love is everything that Khushi wants, then love is everything that Arnav loathes. If these so...
99.3K 4K 12
Arnav and Khushi are married in childhood and are seperated. This story is the journey towards their reunion.
231K 13.2K 41
Story about previous life, two lovers love unconditionally. Protect each other. Evil people killed them in previous birth before they become one. So...