Merfolks ⚢

By AevumAce

Surviving a shark attack, Kaylor Castillo came to know that even the dearest place can be a threat. In an att... More

Chapter 1 Club
Chapter 2 Perspectives
Chapter 3 Partners
Chapter 4 Camera
Chapter 5 Rectangle
Chapter 6 Game
Chapter 7 Team
Chapter 8 Strip
Chapter 9 Fireflies
Chapter 10 Lighthouse
Chapter 11 Emergency
Chapter 12 Underwater
Chapter 13 Letter
Chapter 14 Karaoke
Chapter 15 Photoshoot
Chapter 16 Human
Chapter 17 Date
Chapter 18 Caught
Chapter 19 Scar
Chapter 20 Pearl
Chapter 21 Sprain
Chapter 22 Shark
Chapter 23 Lunch
Chapter 24 Love
Chapter 25 Rivals
Chapter 26 Dance
Chapter 28 Queen
Chapter 29 Heartbreak
Chapter 30 Princess
Chapter 31 Secret
Chapter 32 Poison
Chapter 33 Beacon
Chapter 34 Five
Author's Note
Announcement
Chapter 35 Wedding
Chapter 36 Fishing
Chapter 37 Tail

Chapter 27 Karma

889 61 0
By AevumAce

CALLIANA

I waited till all the other people in the loft left in the van until I laid comfortably on the couch and turn the TV on. Such marvelous works of fiction humans seem to enjoy themselves for entertainment. I used the remote to change channels until I can find something interesting. I'm disgusted by the idea that I can only entertain myself with this because I'm bored with all the books in the basement.

"Let's get you all dressed up too, Calliana," Maochlannsen said when he entered through the door.

I frowned, "For what?"

"Oh come on, I'm throwing a beach party, you've seen it loads of times before. Isn't it time for you to be in one and indulge yourself?"

I cringed at his idea. The idea of watching TV till midnight sounded more appealing to me. "No," I said as I saw a channel. Animal discovery, they were doing a special about Marine Biologists and their care for marine life.

"Come on, Calliana. Don't you think it's a good way to watch me? Up close and your job will be easier."

"No," I said. I'm more interested in watching this. This is Kaylor's life work besides photography.

"Come on, don't worry. The humans wouldn't recognize you, plus! The girl you saved will be at that party!"

My eyes widened. Kaylor will be there?

"That seemed to interest you, I wonder why." He said.

"What do you wear on that occasion?"

"Dresses of course," he grinned.

I made a face. He knew too well that I had grown to love shorts and T-shirts, not that so-called dress and bikinis.

* * *

"Kaylor," my tongue kept forming to say her name. It seems the muscle in my mouth was enchanted to always say her name. I'm fixated on her, I can tell as I watched her in the shadows instead of watching the exiled mershark. I know It was more like stalking, that's because that's what I do with Maochlannsen.

But she was always with those girls. They were both clinging to her like barnacles on a ship. Oh, how I hated barnacles.

"Kaylor," they always call her.

My face twitched a little, disliking the way the word sounds in my ears, I can make simple words like music and it could vibrate Kaylor to the bones, but I brushed it off. I watched them as Rosa, the other child that Maochlannsen had injured leave with the two boys. I followed the girls to a bar, just under the night sky at the edge of the trees.

While they were waiting for their drinks, I decided to observe the other two girls with disdain.

Out of the blue, I recognized the other girl. That's what occurred to me. Yes, it was that girl-Morgana. She has feelings for Kaylor. That is why she was so touchy-feely and seeking her attention. And I quite understand the concept of desire and love from the books I've read that Maochlannsen has provided for me. That other girl also likes Kaylor and the two of them were having a competition.

Oh no they won't, Kaylor is mine after all. She had slept with me, two times already. One when I asked her to the sea and one when I was brave enough to go to her room. Kaylor had deflowered me as I had deflowered her. That rare pearl is mine.

Her heart is mine.

"Kaylor," I whispered. "Psst." I wanted to use my siren's call to her, but it would be too suspicious if she did hear me. That Morgana girl will know I'm calling her.

I even wondered why that girl hasn't told anyone yet of my true nature. Was it because Kaylor begged not to? If she did then my feelings for her doubled. Even though she was a Marine Biologist and I was a rare discovery, she won't tell my existence to others. Morgana was a mistake. I was too preoccupied with my sweet love to even sense that there was another human around.

I know I was half-human and the lost emotions were coming back. I used my heart to call Kaylor out.

"Psst, Kaylor."

Yes?

She's coming.

Kaylor, rarest than any pearl any clam can create.

She was heading somewhere, I strolled towards her. She might not have sensed my direction. I am here, my human-my love.

She entered the building and I followed her headfirst until she reached an empty corridor. She suddenly spun around as if she knew I'll follow her.

"Calliana," she called, her cheeks blushed lovely. "Are you safe? You know, being here out in the open?"

My heart was beating loudly, making my blood sing in my veins. There she is, standing so near yet so far from my liking. "I'm safe with you, human. I've never felt safer." I closed our distance.

For a moment, I could do nothing but admire every part of her.

I stepped closer to Kaylor, our bodies almost touched... I smiled and stroked her cheek. Then I slid my hand to her waist and pulled her body into my arms. My nose kept inhaling the rich scent from her soft healthy skin. This is what the dry sun smelled like. I couldn't get enough of it.

Without her saying another word, I pulled Kaylor to my embrace. Her warm breathing quickened at my touch. I loved the way her heart pounded against her chest. It was a piece of summoning music to my flights of fancy. I buried my face between her neck and shoulder.

This beauty could no longer resist me. I knew she wanted me too.

MORGANA

When I went to the corridor, I saw Kaylor was having a make-out session with the mermaid at the corner. She was still without her fishtail. My eyes almost popped out of my sockets as I stared at the live scene in front of me.

The pair noticed me. Kaylor looked like a deer caught in headlights. There was evident fright shone in her brown eyes when met with my blue ones. All the while the mermaid with human legs was merely annoyed I stopped their session.

"M-Morgana?" Kaylor croaked.

"Haven't I told you to stay away from her?" I asked both of them the same question.

While Kaylor's head was bowed down, the other girl had the grim in her eyes and a sneer on her mouth. She doesn't scare me. I'm not intimidated, but I'm incredibly jealous.

"Hey," I called. Then her pale blue-gray eyes bore into mine, and I found myself nervous, I cringed. But I wouldn't be swayed. "Get away from her."

A smile stitched across the mermaid's face. "I'm impressed by you. I admit. You're the second human who seemed not to be afraid."

"Men are afraid of you, not me."

Her smile grew wider, almost dangerously otherworldly. It looked like a slash into flesh by a knife.

"Come on, Kaylor." I persuaded, giving her my hand. "She's dangerous. Let's leave."

Kaylor looked at me horrified. She doesn't want to. Her grip on the creature tightened. I have never seen her so determined. I had never seen her like this, so much in love with another.

Jealousy sparks within me, darkening and blurring my rational mind and heart. "What do you even see in that aquatic humanoid?" My tears were threatening to fall. "Can't you see that you can't be together? Of all people to fall in love with, Kaylor, I'm here."

Kaylor's eyes widened, while the mermaid's eyes squinted into a glare.

"I love you, Kaylor," I admitted. "You might think I'm in love with some boy, but I'm not. You can have a better future with me. The path is much brighter and less to have remained a secret. I was mean to you because I care. I was getting close to you because I like you. I accept you even if you're crazy for creating a thesis that your professors were so against."

"But... why? Didn't you hate me? You even bully me all the chance you get. This is so confusing."

"That was before—before my heart opened. You were so kind to me-" I couldn't take the mocking star and the deafening silence that goes with it anymore. "This is unfair! You made me fall for you!"

Kaylor's face registered in understanding. "So that's why you were so bent on helping me create a new thesis. I'm flattered, Morgana. B-but-"

Oh no. That's it. My intuition... This is my worse fear. I can't even look at her. I know this emotion way too much. I always do this to boys who confess but it was never expected for me to be in this certain position. It was strange, I'm alien to the feeling, but I will soon be experienced. This is a wrong time to confess, I get the green jealousy to defeat me.

"I love Calliana." She said, "I love her. And I'm not scared; I don't even care for the future. I can find a way to graduate without exposing her or even abandoning my thesis."

"What?" Calliana asked her sharply. She even made Kaylor cringe. But I don't want to stay and watch much longer.

I ran away, my heart leaping. Resilient hearts even wounded can still function. This is the first time that I was rejected in my first confession. It hurt. I didn't know I hurt those over eagerly boys like this.

I didn't know why. This is karma. Yes, I've been a bad person in this life and my previous one.

KAYLOR

"Speak," I gulped as my lover was criticizing me. "Speak. What does she mean by helping you to change your thesis? What thesis?"

I couldn't afford to lie. "O-on the night when I first met y-you," I stammered. "I was supposed to expose you to my professors for legal proof of my thesis." I clenched my jaw, feeling the throbbing pain in my gum.

Calliana grabbed the back of my neck and pulled me close. Her breath touched my face like a stream of fire. I winced at the sight of her eyes. They were full of hatred and anger. I couldn't help, shaking in fear.

"You were going to expose me?" she hissed like acid to my ears.

"But I realized that it's unethical." I fought for my breath. "I understand that your species fear humans. I was so fascinated by you, and then I realized, I'm falling for you. I couldn't afford to expose you just because of my thesis. I even begged Morgana to remain your identity a secret. I was planning to think of another solution so I can graduate."

Her eyebrows drew together. "So that's why she's helping you to make another thesis?" Then there was a pause and she turned me around to face her, but she still kept a firm grip on my throat. The girl's pale eyes looked perplexed as if she was trying to figure out something inside her head. "She's quite whipped."

I disregarded her unnecessary comment. There is nothing whipped in what I see in Morgana. All I can think of is that she's the one holding the whip, disciplining me. "Yes, but I don't want to change my thesis."

"Why?"

My shoulders slumped, "Because I want it to be published! And show the people who made fun of me that what I was doing wasn't absurd."

"You and your pride," she gritted her teeth and released me from her grasp. "I can't help you find another legal means of proof. And if you did find one, I will try my best to stop you."

My face fell. It was as if a sense of betrayal that rocks the mind to the very core.

"No regrets, no blaming, human." She gave me a dismissive glance. "My loyalty is to my kind first. I'm afraid; I can't help you with that."

I stared at her in her contempt. Even when she's mad at me, she looked stunning. I almost forgot the miserable feeling I had a moment ago when I looked at her. She noticed me staring. We held each other's gaze. I watched her jaw clenched as if something was stirring inside her gut. Then in a blink of an eye, she was cupping my chin in her hand and pinned me against the wall.

"You're in luck tonight." Calliana purred. "I can't stay angry with you, but please, don't do that. Don't expose us."

I felt the rush of heat to my cheeks and knew I was blushing. The sound of her whisper made me color my cheeks enough for her to enjoy.

"Let's hang out sometimes, human."

"Hang out?"

"Would you rather it be a picnic? Or a late-night stroll or a swim like one of those nights before?"

"I reckon all your date options are by or on the sea."

"Date..." her tongue clicked the word as if it seemed foreign to her. "Back in our time, date means a day in the calendar. Even the younger generations of merfolk use that word, yet we can't comprehend its true significance for both couples and its difference between hangouts."

I giggled. "Well, it still meant the same. You'll see."

So we decided to have our official date tomorrow night. And I hope it wouldn't be ruined again.

A/N

So I was surprised by some of the answers you gave me on my question about who you want Kaylor to end up with. I just want you to know no hard feelings.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121 20 12
Two worlds separated from the beginning of time. A story transcending differences of race and fate. Selena once suffered through an illness and was s...
118 2 6
A story similar to a classic fairy tale, but with a major twist ... What if the little mermaid were a deep sea merman instead? And what if the human...
15.9K 1.1K 80
COMPLETED! Hollow Waves OFAF #1 IS THE REWRITE, PLEASE GO READ THAT Eryn Verconis promised herself and her sire that she'd keep to herself. All she h...
152K 8.4K 26
Edited In a vast and mysterious land where no human can reach and only aquatic being had put eyes upon. Under all the darkness and the mysteries of t...