Merfolks ⚢

By AevumAce

Surviving a shark attack, Kaylor Castillo came to know that even the dearest place can be a threat. In an att... More

Chapter 1 Club
Chapter 2 Perspectives
Chapter 3 Partners
Chapter 4 Camera
Chapter 5 Rectangle
Chapter 6 Game
Chapter 7 Team
Chapter 8 Strip
Chapter 9 Fireflies
Chapter 10 Lighthouse
Chapter 11 Emergency
Chapter 12 Underwater
Chapter 13 Letter
Chapter 14 Karaoke
Chapter 15 Photoshoot
Chapter 16 Human
Chapter 17 Date
Chapter 18 Caught
Chapter 19 Scar
Chapter 20 Pearl
Chapter 21 Sprain
Chapter 22 Shark
Chapter 23 Lunch
Chapter 24 Love
Chapter 25 Rivals
Chapter 27 Karma
Chapter 28 Queen
Chapter 29 Heartbreak
Chapter 30 Princess
Chapter 31 Secret
Chapter 32 Poison
Chapter 33 Beacon
Chapter 34 Five
Author's Note
Announcement
Chapter 35 Wedding
Chapter 36 Fishing
Chapter 37 Tail

Chapter 26 Dance

886 65 5
By AevumAce

KAYLOR

The dreadful week has come—the first week of June. Tonight's the last night before morning where everyone is supposed to leave to their respective countries and return here for another summer. But even if they will return, we will still miss each of the club activities. And we aren't even sure if there's the next summer. If Mr. Ainsley won't be too busy or is still generous enough to sponsor most of our events or to even facilitate the club.

So, our solution, we make the most of it then continue to our college.

Accordingly, the party was on the beach of the Isla Pandao Day Resort. Mr. Ainsley had rented a van to take all of us including Rosa to the beach.

"Are you not coming with us, sir?" I asked as soon as everyone had gotten inside.

"No, I'm so sorry dear, I have to drop by to a friend because I'm bringing her to the party." He smirked, knowingly.

"Ah, a special friend, sir?" the driver asked from the driver's window.

"Yes," his smirk grew wider; his eyes twinkled in mischief, "So special."

I watched him as he went back inside the loft. I can't help but think that he was hiding something-something that he wants to make me curious and know. I brushed the thought away. At that, I ride the van.

I sat between Empress and Morgana while Rosa sat next to the driver and Iko and Jeon sat on the way back. Along the ride, I can't help but feel suffocated by the stares the two girls were giving me.

They were dressed fashionably for the occasion and they made me wear shorts and a see-through white blouse for the sake of just having a shirt to show everyone my black bra underneath. This wasn't my style. Call me a prude, hey I was brought up this way.

So Morgana was a bit daring, wearing a sexy two-piece underneath her peach-colored see-through dress while Empress was clad in high-waisted shorts, and a blouse, a brown clutch, and a ray ban.

When the van stopped, the door at Morgana's side opened and we stepped out into the cold air. Behind me walked the boys who were dressed in Hawaiian clothes.

When we reached the beach ground, the place was already crowded. A lot of people kept walking around, carrying barbecues, drinks, and either neon bracelets. A parade of women and men with colorful clothes marched along the crowded sand, dancing to the music of a local band, drinking in the open bar, eating dinner in the snack bars and food laid out in the corner, or maybe listening to the open program. As Rosa said, her coworkers were there as waiters who were also allowed to have fun so long as they don't get too drunk to serve their jobs.

I could smell the scent of barbecue smoke and the ocean thick in the air.

We ate; we drank coconut juice and shakes and danced to the blasting music with the people. All of us had grown on all the fun at the party that we almost lost track of time.

Morgana was so bossy; she usually was the one who told us what we should be doing. Should we dance, should we eat, should we mingle, should we take group photos; however, mostly, Morgana was so clingy. So to get me some space, I retreat towards either the boys or to Empress. But then, Morgana would wrap her arms around my other arm while Empress was holding my other one. I'm sure people think that we were inseparable friends, but I'm quite sure the boys and Rosa know that Morgana and Empress are mortal frenemies.

Two hours away from midnight, Jeon excused himself from the group to mingle with the other people and maybe find a girl who's willing to dance with him for a slow dance. Rosa and Iko were already dancing under the pale moonlight along with other couples to the slow music.

I was surprised when two voices asked me the same question. "Kaylor, do you want to dance with me?" Horrified looks exchanged them. Morgana and Empress both looked away from anger.

"Okay, shall the three of us, dance?" I asked, trying to ease the situation.

The girls looked at each other as threats and the thought of dancing in the slow dance together seemed unappealing.

"No Kaylor," Morgana said. "Let's drink instead." She pulled me by the arm.

"B-but you can't handle your liquor well." I protested.

"It's just a shot," Morgana said. "Don't worry; I won't chug an entire bottle."

"I'll have some too!" Empress yelled, following us.

"Three briosos please!" I shouted one of the cocktails to have the least alcohol content. The bartender smiled before preparing our drinks.

"Cancel one out. I'll have a shot of vodka instead." Morgana told him, seeing through me.

"Morgana..." I warned, but suddenly my sense of hearing jacked. Or rather amplified and the strange feeling was so foreign to me that I nearly blacked out. All of a sudden, I can feel where everything is. It was as if I've regained a sonar sense.

"Sit down," a voice said, but I didn't know whom it came from. Then I saw Morgana looked at me. "I said sit down," she motioned for me to sit down on the barstool.

I took a seat awkwardly, mostly ignoring the new human echolocation I've developed. Morgana turned her face to me and smiled. This time I'm yet in between them again. The bartender put the wine glasses down in the middle of the table. But then I had a dilemma of who I should engage in a conversation with first. Being with the two of them was awkward because I always get in between. I stole a glance at the quiet Empress. She was also looking at me and seemed to flush a little. She was about to speak when Morgana interrupted.

"Do you like the drink, Kaylor?"

I nodded, not wanting to speak. So I took a sip once more.

"Good, now you will have to stay near me," she said. "And even drink with me. Let's get wasted, together."

I looked up with questions orbited around my head, but I couldn't tell if Morgana was joking, then leaned towards me. Empress looked from where she sat with uneasy eyes. Her hand clutched a stick, that seemed to be just there, and I saw it started to break. Morgana offered to clink our glasses together so I did and she gulped down hers in an instant.

"Control your liquor, Cross," Empress warned with a heavy tone.

"Piss off, Kovall." She hissed and asked the bartender to just pour vodka into her glass.

Empress gritted her teeth, but she didn't dare to move.

"Morgana, please," I begged. "I don't want another episode of a drunken girl."

"She was drunk with you before?" Empress asked, her eyebrow quipped.

I have to tell the truth before things get complicated. "Well yes, remember last time when you thought something happened between us? Well, she was drunk that time and as a fellow woman, I have to keep that embarrassing episode a secret."

Empress snapped. "You were drinking together?"

"No, we just saw each other." I didn't know why I needed to defend Morgana so much, I guess it's because I don't want Empress to know about Calliana. Morgana already knew about her and I don't want Empress to know as well.

Strangely, I kept hearing a 'psst' of faraway sound every few seconds. "Guys, do you hear something?"

"What?" Neither of them did.

I personally felt like someone was watching me.

"Excuse me; I need to go to the ladies' room," I said, getting off the stool.

"Let me go with you." Empress offered.

"No, you should watch that girl." I pointed at the American who seemed to have been drinking her fourth shot. "Don't worry, I'll be back."

"Okay."

I know she was following me. I can tell if she's nearby or not. For the last few days I can sense she was near the loft, but I know she can't go nearer because of the others. She has to become discreet.

I entered the lobby and turned towards a deserted corridor then spun around.

There was a brief silence, and then I realized I was so close to her, and now she was staring back at me. Our eyes met. The glow from the burning life danced across our faces. I straightened myself back.

MORGANA

"This is your fault." I slurred through gritted teeth. I felt ecstasy run through me from the fourth shot of liquor I drank. It elevated my mood a little.

"What?" she asked.

"Why don't you just go and dance with some boys out there?" I yelled, irritated at the Canadian. "Kaylor didn't need to be suffocated."

"Excuse you; mostly you're the one dragging her everywhere in this party."

"I'm trying to get her away from you... all of you."

"Well too bad, I won't give you the satisfaction."

I gripped my glass hard. I wanted to slap her, throw her the glass or claw her but I calmed myself by asking the bartender for another pour. I stared at the liquor, wanting just to confess my feelings. But I can't do it with Ms. Goody Two Shoes here.

Well, I snickered. At least, Kaylor's not with that Mermaid. I took a sip from the glass, the alcohol burned as it landed on my stomach but something was unsettling me. I nearly drop my glass because of the increased sweat, particularly on the hands.

Wait. Usually, if Kaylor's alone, that's where strange things happen to her. A knot formed in my belly, so I crossed my arms tightly over my chest to help myself calm down. I weighed all possible reasons for my paranoia and there's only one thing that came to mind.

What if she's with that foul aquatic humanoid! Shit!

"I better leave," I said with anger in my eyes. Empress was confused and mildly concerned. I walked away to the opposite direction where Kaylor went so Empress won't think I'll follow her, but I surely will.

A/N

Okay, guys, I'm gonna do a survey. Who do you want Kaylor to end up with? 

Edit: Voting ends.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

275 4 75
Think you know mermaids? Think again. (Think underwater Twilight) **** "Our waters are changing. We've known it for a while now. We can sense it. We...
9.2K 535 16
"Your Highness, there has to be another way." Dad said. "I'm sorry but it has to be done. I'll miss you my babygirl but you can't stay. One day, I wi...
1M 30.3K 27
"I was smoking on Shellfish Bridge, thinking about how I had completely screwed up my life, when an idea occurred to me; what if I jumped?" What ha...
566K 13.5K 34
Leona Ramirez had never known an easy life, growing up on the streets of the Gold Coast. But one day when she catches a ride to Mako Island with thre...