Maybe, You Will See Me Now

By Mercy198

A successful career woman in her early thirties struggles to overcome the stigma of divorce and its associate... More

Hi🌻
Dedication
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
010
011
012
013
014
015
016
017
018
019
021
022
023
024
025
026
027
028
029
030
031
032
033
034
035

020

624 94 20
By Mercy198

Delight had been pacing to and from while she called Andrew's phone several times. But not once did he pick. Finally, she let the growing irritation and annoyance get to her and she threw her phone on the bed. Now still, she sighed louder than normal and placed a hand on her hip.

Her breathing heightened. Her chest went up and down. Several thoughts swirled in her head and no matter how many times she shook her head; it wouldn't ward off. Delight was having a hard time accepting Andrew's decision. She already spent nights, and sometimes, days, dreaming about what their life together could look like. No matter how often she analysed their relationship, Andrew was the best man for her. She'd grown to love him. Delight honestly didn't think there was anyone else better than him out there for her. She couldn't stop telling herself what a fool she would be to lose him.

She sat on the bed, her elbows rested on her knees while her left foot continuously tapped. Delight searched through her memories for any sign. Anything that could help her realise when he started to drift away. He'd always been the same quiet and less talkative man. But she felt he really started to brush her off after coming to Lagos. She came to the realisation that it got worse after her sister's child dedication.

Delight bit her lower lip a little hard. "He definitely has another woman." Her words were almost in a whisper. But delight couldn't phantom how and who. He barely socialised and was the least bit interested in clubbing or attending events. His daily routine was home to work and work to home. Could he have met someone whose routine aligned with his?

She stopped tapping her foot and her eyes brightened with realisation. Delight was sure this mystery woman worked in the same company with Andrew. That was the only rational answer she could come up with. It had to be. Unfortunately for this woman, Delight was the last person to give up easily. At least not without putting up a good fight. More than ever, she was determined to give it her best shot.

* * *

Ijeawele walked a short distance from Andrew's apartment building when she realised her feet were still in his crocs and she'd left hers with him. She didn't think going back right now was a good idea so she never went back.

Ijeawele walked into her bedroom. Beside the bed, she sat on the floor and leaned against the bed. For what felt like forever, she spaced out until she suddenly spoke.

"Ijeawele, how long are you going to be like this?"

The memory from her last encounter with Andrew was fresh in her head. She squeezed her face at it. Delight couldn't help wondering if she went too far. His life decisions were his and it had nothing to do with her. Sure, he recently broke up with his girlfriend and still invited her over. Why did that trigger her so much? Was it because she felt he'd moved on too fast or the thought that he was replacing her already? Ijeawele shook her head. She felt confused yet upset with herself that she definitely thought he was trying to replace his ex with her.

Ijeawele was somewhere between denial and acceptance of what the truth with Andrew was. Yes, she'd only ever dated or been with her ex-husband so what would she know about things like this. Maybe it was because of a pestering feeling she has whenever Andrew been around. There was a way he looked at her, cared for her and spoke to her. She sensed it. Again, she could be wrong and stupidly just embarrassed the one person outside her family who showed any concern for her.

Ijeawele sighed. Perhaps, it was better this way. Her head was still a mess. It would be hard for him to understand her range of emotions and sudden outbursts. That would be unfair for him to keep up. Ijeawele was reluctant to admit it. But it was kind of hopeful while it lasted. At the same time, a deep and tiny part of her wished it wouldn't end.

* * *

Andrew laid on the bed that night, staring at the ceiling. He was unable to fall asleep no matter how hard he tried. Ijeawele filled his thoughts. In his head, he went over the scenario of the day leading right up to the moment she walked out. Should he have never mentioned Delight? He didn't think it would matter so much to her. He wanted to be honest.

I'm not easy. Her words repeated in his head. Andrew turned and laid on his side. She got it all wrong. There and then, he decided he was going to be straightforward from now on.

At the office, Andrew had spent half of the day without seeing her. Many times, he wondered if he should go to her office. He never acted on it. When he didn't expect it, he ran into her on his way out of the restroom. Ijeawele hardly looked at him and went ahead into the female restroom. Andrew thought about what to do. It was important for his peace of mind that the issue between them be cleared up.

After washing her hands and wiping them dry with a tissue, she looked at herself in the mirror one last time before heading for the door. She'd taken about three steps outside the restroom when Andrew suddenly showed up in front of her. He held her hand and led the way, regardless of how reluctant she was to follow him. They backed into a corner away from any possible prying eyes. Andrew stood in front of her, their hands still joined together. Ijeawele knew she needed to scold him but now that he was in front of her, she couldn't get the words out sooner.

"What is the meaning of this?" Finally, Ijeawele was able to speak out. When he didn't reply, she lowered her eyes to their hands still together. Like before, she softly wriggled her hand for him to release. Instead, this time, he held on tighter and she raised her eyes to him in surprise.

"Will you be able to explain yourself when someone finds us in this state?" Ijeawele's question was more like a threat for him to release her. Yet, Andrew's eyes searched within hers, shifting from one to the other. Then, he took a step closer and she involuntarily tried to take one back only for her back to hit the wall behind her. She stared at him with slightly widened eyes. He was acting unlike his usual self. This was new and its effect paralysed her more than she would like to admit.

"I've never once thought you were easy." Andrew told her while his gaze never left hers.

Ijeawele blinked a few times while she tried to understand what his statement meant. Just like that, the moment from the previous day when she said those words, I'm not easy was fresh in her mind.

Andrew leaned his head closer to hers and she unintentionally held her breath for a second. He was one or two inches taller than she was. His eyes went to her lips and like the other day, he felt a stronger urge to kiss her. Andrew resisted and lifted his eyes back to match hers.

"I told you about my breakup because I didn't want any secrets between us." He started and Ijeawele could only remain still while she listened. He was so close that a bit of the hot air from his mouth fanned her while he spoke. She thought about how wrong she'd been about underestimating his effect on her. Ijeawele would've kicked, slapped or pushed away before any man got this close to her.

She gulped. "It doesn't matter. You and I... we don't have such a relationship where you need to tell me things like that. What you do with your life doesn't concern or bother me."

Andrew's lips formed a thin line. His eyes shifted from one orb of hers to the other. It was as if they held the answers to any of his questions. Ijeawele struggled to maintain eye contact with him. She'd lied and feared he would sniff that out of her. Yet, she was determined to remain strong.

Suddenly, he leaned in a little closer than before. At this point, Ijeawele used all her mental might to stay strong. More than anything, she feared he would kiss her and that might just be enough to shut down her security system.

"Do I really not bother you?" His voice is softer and hot against her skin.

Her head screamed at her to say yes. But she couldn't get her lips to utter it. Though they slightly parted several times in hopes that she might say the needed word.

Ijeawele blinked lazily. "Someone will see us." She said in a low voice. An alternative to what she should've said.

He stared at her. Again, her insides screamed and she pleaded for him not to kiss her.

A smile grew on his face, faint and yet present. Her alternate reply was a good sign and he was grateful for it.

"Let's have dinner together. Tonight. I'll wait for you at the bus stop by 5:30." Andrew told her before he leaned in. Ijeawele shut her eyes at an instant, readily giving in to the forthcoming kiss. Rather, Andrew planted a soft kiss on her cheek. He leaned away and Ijeawele gradually opened her eyes. She felt disappointment wash over her. Too embarrassed that she actually wanted a kiss from him, she couldn't match his gaze. But she saw his smile broaden as if he read her thoughts, making her feel more embarrassed.

He released her hand and walked away first, sparing her one more glance with a smile on his face before he was out of sight.

Ijeawele felt her heart race.

It wasn't because she was scared of him or anything of a sort. She placed her hand on her right cheek where he'd kissed her. No one had ever treated her so gently. Andrew was the first. As exciting and grateful as she felt, the impending fear that followed was worrisome. Ijeawele wasn't sure he was worth it enough for her to turn off her internal security system.

More than anything... she hoped he would be worth it. 

I hope you liked the chapter. Comment or vote. I'm eager to hear your thoughts. Thank you for patiently waiting for another weekly update.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.4K 9K 35
Twenty-six-year-old Kasiemobi Ejindu knows something sinister has been moving on with her for as long as she could recall even though she's oblivious...
34K 3.7K 44
☆ Featured ☆ NA ✔︎ AmbassadorsNG ✔︎ Wattpad ✔︎ It's challenging to be yourself in a society where being a lesbian is an offense with a fourteen-year...
24.2K 3.5K 41
~~~~(Mature)~~~~ "We're worlds apart..." "But I'm right here." "I'm far, farrrrrrrrrr far beneath your class..." "And so? I don't care." He shrugged...
4.6K 711 19
After being rejected by her high school crush, Jumoke decides to leave her past behind and focus more on being a working woman. But when fate decides...