Caught In A Web

By just-dreaming-marvel

You were living your best college life when your life suddenly changed after getting bit by a spider. When th... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
fourteen
fifteen

thirteen

523 24 15
By just-dreaming-marvel

You could sense Tony's nervousness as you sat across from him at the dinner table. You couldn't understand why though. You thought that this afternoon's activities went well. Maybe Tony didn't feel the same. Finally, after letting the awkwardness brew, you couldn't stand it any more and broke the silence.

"What's going on, Tony?" You questioned. "Did something happen today and I totally miss it?"

Tony sighed, not meeting your gaze. "There's something I need to talk to you about."

Your stomach dropped. As you swallowed, you placed your shaking hands in your lap, hidden from Tony's view. "What about?"

"Well, do you know who Pepper is?"

"Yes, Tony, I know who she is. She was your assistant, turned CEO, turned, uh, girlfriend."

He chuckled nervously. "That's a way to put it."

"She left the company when you two... uh, broke up, right?"

Tony nodded. "Yeah."

"So, what about her?"

"Well, Pepper, she reached out to me."

"Oh?" You felt like you were going to throw up and your hands were growing sticky.

"She wants to get together and talk."

"Mhmm," you hummed, sucking in your lips as you tried to stop the threatening spiral of emotions.

"I haven't responded to her yet. I wanted to run it by you first."

Slightly, your stomach lifted. "You did?"

"Well, yeah," Tony cleared his throat. "We are kinda—well, we are—"

"Dating?"

Tony snapped his fingers and pointed at you. "That's the word."

You let a small smile form as you looked at Tony. "So, do you want to meet up with Pepper?"

"I'm interested in hearing what she has to say."

Your stomach fell again. "Is... is there something that you're hoping that she says?"

Tony immediately understood what you were getting at. "Y/N, if you don't want me to meet up with her, I won't. I won't do anything that you aren't comfortable with."

"I... I want you to do whatever you feel like you need to do. Talk to her. Get some closure."

"Are you sure? I really don't—"

"I'm sure, Tony. I promise."

Tony didn't fully believe you, but he nodded anyway. He reached his hand across the table and beckoned for your hand. You wiped your hand on your pants before setting it in his. He gripped it, rubbing the back of your hand with his thumb.

"Thank you for understanding," he softly said.

"You're welcome," you replied.

~~~

The two of you stayed at the Compound for a two more days. You worked in the lab together and swung around on your new playground.

During the time there, Tony had reached out to Pepper and they had scheduled to meet when the two of you got back to the city. You were feeling fine about Tony meeting up with Pepper at first, but as you two returned to the city, you were struggling with it. You trusted Tony and believed that he wouldn't do anything that would put your relationship in jeopardy. But you didn't know much about Pepper, other than she was the one to break it off with Tony and leave her position as CEO of Stark Industries.

You were in the lab with Bruce when Tony came in to say goodbye.

"Are you sure you're okay with this?" Tony asked you. He had noticed that you were growing increasingly uneasy, especially as the pencil you were working with got stuck to your hand.

"I'm fine, Tony," you responded, only for him to not believe as you were too distracted with getting the pencil unstuck.

Tony sighed before gently taking your wrists and pulling your hands toward him. "I don't believe you, sweetheart." He pulled the pencil from where it had stuck to you. After setting it down, he placed his arms around your waist and pulled you into him. "Do you trust me?"

You nodded, silently staring at the buttons on his shirt. He had dressed up in a nice suit and button up shirt for Pepper.

"It would really help me if you would speak, sweetheart."

"I trust you," you said, still not making eye contact.

"I think I'm going to stay here. You clearly aren't comfortable with this. I—"

"No, no," you grabbed Tony's jacket lapels and looked him in the eyes. "Go. Have fun."

"I promise I won't be too long."

Tony leaned in and kissed you. When he pulled back, you let go of him but immediately wanted to pull him back in and tell him to stay. Tony shot you a smile before heading out. After watching him until he disappeared, you got back to work. Bruce was still in the lab and had watched the whole interaction.

"Don't worry about Tony," Bruce told you, catching your attention. "He wouldn't do anything that could hurt you."

You nodded, going back to focusing on your work and try to forget about what Tony was up to.

~~~

"I'm glad we're doing this," Pepper said as she sat across from Tony. The two were at a nicer restaurant and had been seated to allow them some privacy.

"Honestly, Pep, I'm not exactly sure what this is," Tony said.

"Just two friends, talking and having dinner together."

Tony nodded, picking up the menu to look at it. Pepper followed suite, constantly stealing glances over the menu. After drinks had been ordered and brought and the food had been ordered, the two sat there, awkwardly sipping their drinks.

"So, Tony," Pepper started, "how have you been?"

"Good," Tony responded. "You?"

"I've been good as well. How's the company?"

"It ran much smoother when you were there, but it's getting by with me back at the head."

"That's good."

The two made idle-chitchat as they waiting for the food to come. It continued on even as they ate, until Tony couldn't handle to know why they had met up.

"Why did you want to meet up, Pepper?" Tony asked as the plates were cleared.

"To be honest, Tony," she paused with a sigh, "I've missed you."

Tony was speechless for a second. Yes, at one point Tony had missed Pepper dearly and sometimes still did when it came to running the company. But now Tony had you in his life and couldn't imagine ever going back to Pepper.

"Pepper—"

"I know, I know, I'm the one that broke it off and I'm sorry. I'm sure I put you through hell. I promise that—"

"Pepper. I'm seeing someone."

"Oh." It was clear that to Tony that Pepper was taken back. "I—I hadn't heard."

"It's new. We're taking it slow and planning on keeping it private for a while."

"Slow and private, huh? That doesn't sound like you."

"Things have changed for me, Pepper. I have changed."

"Clearly." She took a sip of her drink.

Tony waved down the waiter. "I think we're ready for the check."

"Of course," the waiter replied, hurrying off.

"We don't need to end this quickly, Tony," Pepper said.

"I think we do."

Tony stood up, pulled out a wad of cash from his inner coat pocket and threw down a few hundreds on the table. He then turned and began heading out, with Pepper quickly following.

"Tony! Tony!" Pepper called. "Please! I'm sorry."

Tony's car drove itself up to wear Tony stopped at the curb. He turned around to face his former friend and lover. "I'm so glad we did this, Pepper. It's truly helped me close the door on our relationship."

Pepper reached out and grasped his arm, causing Tony to pause. She quickly closed the gap and kissed him. Tony was quick to push her away.

"Don't ever call me again," Tony said, his tone laced with slight anger that had never been used toward Pepper.

She stood there, almost frozen as Tony slipped into his car and sped away. What neither of them noticed was a nearby man, catching the whole thing on camera.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

163K 4.9K 29
You have lived your whole life, knowing who your father is, but he doesn't know about you. One day when your room mate and best friend, Peter Parker...
420K 11.9K 33
Being in your last year of university is very financially hard for you. You've been trying to keep perfect grades while also trying to work. But, wha...
366K 9.7K 156
Timeline starts before Iron Man until Endgame This is gonna be you and Tony's adventure together. How would you feel being Tony Stark's precious girl...
186K 6.2K 37
After you enrolled in a new university, you meet a professor who is everybody's favorite. When he discovers you don't share the same opinion of him a...