Sticks and Stones

By MelanieGaleaz

Brady Parker. The best hockey player Holloway University had seen in years. He was essentially guaranteed a p... More

Author's Note
Warnings
Playlist
Bonus Bits: Mood Boards, Memes, and More!
Prologue
One: Tatum Hartley and the No Good, Pretty Bad Day
Two: It's a Bad Idea, Right?
Three: It's My Party and I'll Drink if I Want To
Four: Birthdays, Bandages, and Busy-Bees
Five: Challenge Accepted
Six: Brothers and Bygones
Seven: What's That Saying About Making a Deal with the Devil?
Eight: No Such Thing as a Free Lunch
Nine: Mixing Drinks and Emotions
Ten: Ice Skating and Other Torturous Things
Eleven: Cause Two Can Keep a Secret... Hopefully.
Twelve: That Time the Hot Dogs Fought Back
Thirteen: Stumbling Blocks and Slapshots
Fourteen: Save the Date?
Fifteen: (Don't) Save the Date!
Sixteen: Two Doughnuts and One Civilized Conversation, Please
Seventeen: The One Bed Trope
Eighteen: Hurricane Hartley
Nineteen: Boos, Booze, and Booboos
Twenty: Hartley's Hospital
Twenty-Two: Bruising Egos and Faces
Twenty-Three: Fearless (Tatum's Version)
Twenty-Four: Rated M
Twenty-Five: Hypothetically!
Twenty-Six: ̶M̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ Tatum Knows Best
Twenty-Seven: Savior in Scrubs
Twenty-Eight: Through Sickness and Health
Twenty-Nine: Rated M. Again.
Thirty: Case Closed?
Thirty-One: Brady Parker and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very, Very Bad Day
Thirty-Two: Operation Jailbreak
Thirty-Three: Many Things
Epilogue
Final Author's Note

Twenty-One: Is There a Cure for Chronic Eavesdropping?

2.4K 79 15
By MelanieGaleaz

Bit of a filler chapter but need some calm after the storm before the storm before the big storm.

I got soooo close to posting this and the next chapter together but you know what? Restraint. Daily updates is enough, my lovelies. Maybe tomorrow for Thanksgiving you'll get two chapters that I love. In the meantime, a bit of a filler :)

●・○・♥︎・○・●

As previously established, Tatum was a woman of her word.

When she made a promise, she kept one.

That was what she told herself like a mantra as she watched the teenager at the ice cream shop ring up the most absurdly built, expensive ice cream cone she had ever seen in her life for Jamie.

His eyes were as wide as saucers, lightning up exponentially as the girl handle him the cone. He needed two hands to hold it and Brady snatched a large cup for when it inevitably would start to fall. Tatum wasn't even aware it was possibly to fit this many scoops and toppings on an ice cream cone. It was defying every law of physics. She did her best to not look absolutely horrified when his ice cream cost her thirty dollars alone. And she had still offered to pay for the others as well, a kindness she was coming to regret.

God, when she did start being this nice?

"Thanks, Tatum!" Jamie called out cheerfully as he ran over to where Kinsley was holding a table.

"Can't believe the kid wanted ice cream, it's forty degrees out," Tatum huffed out as she rubbed her hands over her arms.

"It could be a blizzard and he'd still want ice cream," Brady told her with a chuckle. She smiled in amusement before pulling out her debit card. The others had all gotten considerably smaller ice creams, which helped the price a bit. But not by much. Brady's face scrunched up as he put his hand over hers, stopping her before she could hand it to the cashier. "Let me get it?"

"A promise is a promise, Parker," Tatum told him pointedly, moving her hand to tap it against the screen to pay.

"Stubborn," he murmured in defeat, picking up the cups of ice creams to carry.

She raised an eyebrow. "Just now realizing?"

He snorted. "Yeah, you were really good at hiding it before now."

Tatum chuckled in amusement before they headed over to where the other two were sat. Her eyes subtly darted between the two older siblings. She was surprised that they both agreed to Jamie's request of them coming for ice cream. But then again, they would do anything to make Jamie happy, it seemed. Kinsley pointedly avoided Brady's gaze as she accepted the ice cream, slouching in her seat. Brady wasn't acting much better, honestly. It seemed like he was trying to be discreet about it all, but he went out of his way to avoid the seat next to her.

Jamie, thank god, was oblivious to the tension. He was happily chowing down on his ice cream, making progress at an alarming rate, if Tatum was being honest. She wasn't sure if this was the best thing for him almost immediately after surgery, but she figured it was deserved after everything.

It had been a couple of days after Jamie had been discharged now. The operation had gone on without a hitch. He was in perfect health. She had never seen the boy so happy. He was jumping around and running as if he hadn't just had heart surgery. She took it as a sign of good health instead of being concerned that it was all too soon. Besides, Doctor Porter said it was fine, and Tatum trusted her judgment. And Jamie was happy, so there wasn't much to argue.

"What's next?" Jamie asked excitedly, ice cream all around his mouth.

"Next?" Tatum asked, scooping some of her ice cream into her mouth.

"Mhm," he confirmed.

Tatum came up blank, looking at the other siblings in hopes that they would jump in. They both seemed to be in their own worlds though, lost in their thoughts. She caught Brady staring at her every few moments and his gaze would immediately flick away as if he wasn't looking to begin with. She turned back to Jamie, saying, "How about you think on it and let us know, yeah?"

"Okay!" Jamie agreed as he took another chunk of the ice cream into his mouth, the toppings scattering all over the floor.

"Can I talk to you?" Kinsley asked suddenly in a stiff voice, turning to Brady.

He looked surprised for a moment, pausing as if waiting for his sister to correct herself. When she didn't, he cleared his throat. "Uh, yeah, sure."

Brady's eyes darted to Tatum as he and Kinsley stood up from the table. She gave him a pointed look, doing her best to tell him to behave for once. The two headed out of the store, turning to the left and out of view from the window.

Checking her phone, she felt her concern worsen when she had no messages. She had texted her mother earlier to see how she was feeling but Eliza hadn't gotten back to her yet. Tatum hadn't stopped worrying since she saw her the other day.

"Can we go to the arcade?" Jamie asked excitedly, pulling Tatum from her thoughts. "There's one next door."

She blinked once before putting a smile on her face. "Uh, sure. That sounds fun."

He beamed at her, continuing to shovel his ice cream in his mouth. "Can you go get them? It closes soon, I think."

"I think we should probably let them..." Tatum started, trailing off unsurely when Jamie gave her a deadpan look. "You want me to make sure they haven't killed each other, don't you?"

"Yep!"

"Okay, then."

Tatum stood up reluctantly, placing her ice cream down on the table. She took her time as she made her way to the door, hoping that if she took a long time then the conversation would be over by the time she got out there. Her eyes darted over to Jamie and he motioned for her to keep going. She gave a nervous smile, nodding to herself as she realized she really did have to do this.

Pushing open the door, she hoped the two siblings heard the bell ringing and would finish their conversation. But by the squabbling she heard in the distance, there was so no such luck. She kept waiting for the point where the conversation ended, but neither seemed to want to give it up. And look, Tatum was well-aware that her "didn't mean to eavesdrop" excuses were getting old. Really, she was.

But this time, she genuinely didn't mean to.

She couldn't exactly go back to Jamie empty-handed. Sure, he was only ten. But he was sort of scary for a ten-year-old.

Kinsley's voice was short and defensive as she said, "You told me to leave."

Brady sounded tired as he said, "I know."

"And I... I couldn't come back," Kinsley said defensively, almost as if she was trying to convince herself.

"God, I know, okay?" Brady shouted slowly, enunciating as clearly as he could.

Silence.

Tatum told herself to just turn the corner. She had to move. She couldn't just stay here any longer. She had to tell them she was there.

His voice was quiet as he said, "You know I don't blame you, right?"

"You should," Kinsley whispered so quietly that Tatum nearly missed it.

Tatum closed her eyes and cringed at what she was about to do. Clearing her throat loudly, she gave it a moment before turning the corner. She smiled as widely as she could at the two, doing her absolute best to act casual. The siblings both had bewildered expressions on their faces, clearly wondering what the hell she was doing. She swallowed thickly as she pointed behind her, saying, "Jamie wants to go to some arcade. Says it closes soon and wanted me to get you guys."

Kinsley didn't wait. Her eyes darted once over to Brady before heading back to the ice cream shop. Brady sighed out heavily, pacing aimlessly a couple of steps. She watched him carefully, feeling incredibly out of place and like she should've convinced Jamie to just wait five more minutes. But it was too late now.

Brady turned to her, crossing his arms over his chest as he stared at her silently. Tatum cleared her throat, pushing her hair behind her ear as she asked, "You okay?"

He just stared at her for a few moments. After what felt like eternity of them standing there, Brady took a step towards her. And then another. And then another. She scanned him up and down, sizing him up as he continued towards her. Tatum didn't dare move a muscle, feeling her heart beat a bit faster as they got closer and closer in proximity.

And then Brady surprised her.

His arms wrapped around her and brought her into a hug.

Tatum jolted, wondering what was going on. Brady's arms rested around the top of her shoulders, holding her head close to his warm chest. Her breath caught in her throat, pausing to make sure this was real. After a couple of moments, Tatum lifted her arms and wrapped them around his torso. She melted into the hug, allowing herself to relax into his embrace. He rested his chin on the top of her head, closing his eyes in peace.

"You okay?" Tatum repeated, though this time was muffled by his chest.

Brady breathed out and she was sure that his arms tightened around her. "Yeah... yeah, I'm good now."

Now.

He was good... now.

Tatum tried not to look into the choice of words.

But she found herself wanting to.

●・○・♥︎・○・●

Tatum fears nothing except ten-year-olds on the brink of a sugar rush.

Brady being at peace with Tatum, yeah. They're perfect.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

677K 13K 46
[18+✔️] (Completed. Ongoing bonus chapters.) When Kaitlyn finds her four year relationship ending the day she finds out about her parents separating...
21.6M 584K 49
Grace wants to prove herself by making the men's hockey team at her new school. Will a rivalry with the captain - or an attraction between them - get...
1.5M 53K 112
I anticipated every breath, and every word. Each day, you could only take an uneducated guess at what he would say. What he would do. My heart tremor...
169K 2.5K 39
"You don't know what I went through!" I yelled at him, angry tears streaming down my face. He stared at me for a long time before he spoke. "I loved...