The Losing One || Sirius Black

By mrrdrs

It all started to make sense to Sirius, bit by bit. He wanted desperately to be himself, to belong somewhere... More

1. The Star
2. The Sun
3. The Nebula
4. The Moon
5. The Invented Curse
6. The Train Ride
7. The Sorting Hat
8. New Home
9. Dealing with The Problem
10. The Start of Rivalry
11. The First Prank
12. Bright Red and Gold
13. Behind Closed Doors
14. Getting Used To
15. Revelio
16. Puzzle Pieces
17. Invitiations
18. The Introductions
19. The Conversation
20. The Machine
21. Midnight Waltz
22. A Handkerchief Present
23. Smiling More
24. Patience
25. Bluish Moonlight
27. Inconveniences
28. Hall of Hexes
29. Initial Denial
30. Realizations
31. Unexpected Gift
32. Meteor Wedding
33. 1492. Quidditch World Cup
34. The Potters
35. Slytherin
36. Tryouts
37. Happiness and Fury
38. Saved
39. Red for Gryffindor
40. Nice One
41. Disobedience and Consequences
42. Not All Letters are Good Letters
43. Unspoken Knowledge
44. Ornaments
45. Paperwork
46. Small Model
47. Friendships
48. Apologies
49. Inside Out
50. Seven Books
51. I Know
52. Marauders
53. A River
54. In the Dark: Encyclopedia
55. A Fake
56. The Forms

26. Rose Petals

14 2 0
By mrrdrs

Sirius Black

Wednesday, 1st March 1972.

Hogwarts

"Tap-tap-tap"

It was for sure a part of his dream. It must have been. Maybe his brain wanted to produce a sound of wind blowing on a sunny day and just got a bit confused.

"Tap-tap-tap"

Maybe Sirius just needed to concentrate a bit more on the slight whistle, after all it would go perfectly with the picture currently occupying his mind. He, James, Remus and Peter underneath their tree, illuminated with warm, summer sunrays...

"Tap-tap-tap"

Like in some horror movie, Sirius' eye flew open. Maybe he started imagining things. He was tucked in between pillows and duvet, one arm underneath his head pillow while his legs were curled up to his chest. It was so warm and perfect and sleepy...

"Tap-tap-tap"

Okay. He was definitely not imagining thigs. There was a strong debate going on in his mind about his next move. Should he get up and see what the sound was or should he stay put in bed while somebody else checks on it? The curiosity for sure wanted the first option, but his bed was so warm and cozy...

"Tap-tap-tap"

First option it is. Sirius propped himself on the elbows and just stared at bright red curtains for a moment, thoughtless. Whenever he gets up, he always needs a bit of time to collect himself. He pulled the curtains open and hauled his right leg from the bed while tucking the left one underneath himself.

His sight was still a bit blurry from sleeping and morning brightness for sure wasn't helping the case. Squinting, he managed to recognize an owl shape on their dorm window seal. He couldn't quite decipher it still due to the blurriness, but a few blinks after, Sirius finally recognized a small, white owl. Nix.

As soon as he realized that, Sirius hurried towards the window to let the owl inside. Just like he expected, Nix was carrying a package, but then he quickly stopped in his tracks, hand still stretched out towards the window handle.

Nix looked at him confused, but Sirius just turned to face the dorm. Guess the luck was on his side today. James and Peter were still sleeping, he could hear them snoring lightly, and Remus' bed was empty. Maybe there were some advantages of having a constantly sick friend after all.

Sirius put an index finger across his mouth, indicating to Nix to be quiet and knowing the owl was smart, he was sure it will listen. An outstretched hand finally got ahold of the window handle and opened it, allowing the small animal to finally come inside.

Like the little genius Nix was, he immediately flew to Sirius' bed, tucking himself in between pillows just like on Christmas. He untied the package from the owl's leg and quickly unwrapped the brown paper it came in.

When his eyes fell on the two things inside, his body gave an exited jolt. Nix gave him another confused look, but still continued to observe him, like he was waiting for something.

Sirius quickly closed the package and hid it underneath his bed, hoping that no one would go snooping around. Like on command, Nix flapped his wings and flew towards James' bed, slipping through the small opening in his curtains.

What a smart little baby—, Sirius stopped himself mid-thought. Did he just call Nix a little baby? James really must be rubbing on him. Anyway, Sirius was impressed with how smart the owl actually was. Like it knew that the package contained something nobody else besides Sirius should see and waited for him to put it away before waking up anybody.

He smiled to himself just thinking about the package. Seconds later, there was a grunting sound of James waking up. Sirius could hear him telling Nix to get off his hair.

When the boy finally got up, he asked Sirius why was Nix there, and Sirius graciously reminded him that he borrowed it to send a letter to Andromeda. Oblivious as always, James just nodded and headed to the bathroom. Oh, how Sirius loved his friends.

* * *

Friday, 10th March 1972.

Hogwarts

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY REMUS"

Sirius jumped onto Remus' bed alongside James and Peter, they piled on top of the boy making him cough from shock and pressure.

"Guys... I can't breathe..."

The trio took that as their cue to move and not suffocate the birthday boy, but they still stayed on the bed, this time sitting next to Remus instead of on top of him.

James pushed his glasses up his nose, "So, what is it that you want done today, your royalty?", he took a slight bow which Peter and Sirius mirrored.

Remus just rolled his eyes and propped himself on the headboard, "I want a normal day, please.", it was a request he had submitted to the poll they made in History of Magic. There were three options.

1. explore the castle

2. explore Hogsmeade (I don't approve - Peter)

3. make plans for revenge on Snape and his little gang

Unfortunately, Remus was a groups genius after all, so he simply added another option underneath Sirius' carefully written ones.

4. relax and read a book

The rest of the Marauders sighed dramatically at the boy's lack of enthusiasm. Sirius felt like Remus deserved a proper birthday celebration since it was thanks to him that most of their shenanigans were successful. On top of that, Remus was his friend, a great friend who deserved a great birthday.

He tried to convince the boy to still celebrate, "It doesn't have to be anything major, Remus. You can spend the whole time after classes reading and relaxing, but let's do something else together after that?"

All three of them looked at the birthday boy pleadingly, and at last, Remus caved in with a big sigh, "Okay... but—", he held out his index finger and pointed it at them accusingly, "I don't want a birthday song during meals or classes."

James immediately shook his head at this request, like it was the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard, "No. Can't do. The best we can offer is to choose between the two."

There was a pause in which Sirius saw Remus put on his thinking face. Another dramatic sigh later, the answer was given, "Fine. No songs in classes."

Sirius, James and Peter put their palms on top of each other's, "Deal", they waited for Remus to join them as well, to which the boy obliged with another eye roll, "Deal"

* * *

"Do you really have to do that?"

"Of course, your majesty."

More than a week ago, Remus was stuck in the Hospital Wing again, giving the rest of the Marauders the perfect opportunity to do some research in the library for the boy's birthday. Of course, due to Nix' visit that same morning, Sirius already had a present and, from what they'd told him, Peter and James were prepared as well.

James found this incredible spell that made rose pedals appear above someone's head. It was so funny and perfect that madam Pince kicked the trio out of the library for laughing so loudly.

Peter quickly took out his polaroid camera and snapped a photo of irritated Remus with rose pedals all over his head and around him. James and Sirius were in stiches when the photo was finally developed. Remus tried snatching it away from Peter's hand, but thankfully the smaller boy predicted this barbaric act and passed the photo immediately to James.

Even though he pouted and pretended to be annoyed and irritated, Sirius saw straight through Remus' act. The boy truly enjoyed these little signs of care and when they told him that they specifically went searching for the rose petal spell, the mask completely broke.

The same couldn't be said when the Marauders entered the Great Hall and started a classical rendition of the happy birthday song. It consisted of a lot more high notes and bows than normally which resulted in even more entertainment for the rest of the students. Again, they were joined by everybody which made Remus dramatically throw his head into his hands when they sat at their usual seats.

The singing was quickly over and James waved his wand to stop the rose pedals from falling so that Remus could actually eat, but when the boy reached for the porridge bowl, Sirius slapped him across the hand and James and Peter inhaled dramatically while holding their hands above their hearts, offended.

"Uh-uh, today we are your servants.", Sirius said as he started assembling Remus' porridge. The boy groaned in protest, but there wasn't anything that could be done.

Sirius carefully took half a spoon of honey, he knew that Remus liked a small amount, and peeled open a banana. He sliced it into circles, making them fall directly into the porridge, then he slid the bowl back to Remus with a spoon inside of it.

He saw James filling a glass of water for the tall boy while Peter buttered his toast.

"So... what are we doing tonight?", Sirius questioned while assembling his own bowl of porridge.

Everybody looked expectedly at Remus while the boy just shrugged, "Don't know, can we just stay in the dorm and talk?"

Surprisingly, that idea sounded great to Sirius, and from what it looked like, to James and Peter as well. They haven't just chilled together in a while because usually every free second of their time together would be spent either plotting or executing the plotting. Everybody smiled and nodded at Remus in agreement.

Breakfast was soon over and the classes were about to begin. The Marauders gathered their things and made their way towards the Transfiguration classroom. They laughed and joked, stopping every other person along the way to tell them that it was Remus' birthday which resulted in more birthday congratulations.

Of course, all that happiness and joy had to be interrupted by a head of greasy hair.

"Happy birthday Lupin, maybe there is still hope to get your brain developed.", Snape snickered with Wilkes. Surprisingly, it was just the two of them.

Sirius' anger slowly started to rise. Why did Snape always had to destroy their beautiful days. No, he wouldn't let him. He will just get his anger under control and just turn all of this into one big joke instead of an argument.

He turned to face Remus with hands on his cheeks in mocking shock, "You hear that Remus? There is still hope for you! That's amazing!", he exclaimed with sarcasm and fake excitement which was followed by laughter from his friends. Then Sirius turned back to Snape, "Pity that the same couldn't be said about you lot."

Unexpectedly, Snape stayed calm. Usually, he would go red in the face, but today was different which only meant that he had some snarky comeback. Indeed, wicked smile spread across boy's face, "Save that happiness for the summer. You'll need it after the fiasco that happened at Christmas."

Sirius froze in place. How the hell did he know about that? How did he know it was me who started it? He tried to play it cool, like the comment didn't bother him, but his face said otherwise.

Thankfully, James came to his defense, "I don't think he'll need to do that since he will be staying with me over the summer, but thanks for the concern, very kind of you. Now if you'll excuse us, we have some important business to attend to."

In a blink of an eye, James withdrew his wand, "Procidens rosa" and before Snape and Wilkes could even register what had happened, his wand was back in his robes.

Immediately, pink rose petals started falling above the two Slytherin boys which resulted in a fit of laughter from Marauders. Snape tried to use finite charm, but since the counted spell was evanesco rosa, nothing happened.

The Marauders just turned around and continued their walk towards the Transfiguration classroom still laughing, ignoring the yells from the two Slytherins how they will regret their actions.

Before they turned around the corner, Peter pulled out his polaroid camera and snapped a photo of the four Marauders with Snape and Wilkes in the background with rose pedals all over them. It was truly beautiful.

To Sirius' relief, nobody asked him anything about Snape's comment about the Black's Christmas banquet. He was thankful for James coming to his defense even though he knew that the boy just made up the excuse of Sirius staying at his place over the summer. Still, it had the desired impact on the Slytherins.

The four Gryffindors had their thoughts filled with revenge plans for the boys in green robes, "We have to do something big to get them back for the teeth prank.", Peter exclaimed.

Sirius and James nodded in agreement, "Yeah, it has to be something special", James added.

Remus just sighed, "But we started planning the revenge back in January and we still got nothing."

Unfortunately, this was true. Every idea the Marauders came up with was somehow not big or good enough, but they had them all written down in case of an emergency.

Sirius draped his arms around James and Remus' shoulders while James did the same to Peter, "Believe me, it just takes time. I'm telling you, the idea will just fall into our laps.", he finished as they entered the classroom.

They separated from the side hug so that they could actually sit in their seats, Sirius next to Remus with Peter and James behind them.

McGonagall, like always, gave them one threatening look before she stood up and stated with the lesson, "Okay class, today we will be learning the basics of a switching spell..."

"That's it!", Remus whisper-yelled to the three of them.

Sirius gave him a confused look, "What?"

Remus had a big grin plastered on his face, "A switching spell!"

"Mr. Lupin. Silence or there will be detention.", McGonagall just gave Remus a single glace, which was enough to make all of them fall silent. Remus still managed to write Sirius a note how he'll explain everything to them after class.

* * *

It was the longest forty-five minutes of Sirius' life. Usually, he wasn't able to concentrate during the whole class, but he would at least remember some words their professors spoke. Not this time. It was like the classroom was just empty, like it was only him between four walls with thoughts of Snape's face after whichever master plan Remus' genius head had cooked.

Of course, now Remus had an upper hand against the rest of the Marauders, or in other words, blackmail. James called it treason, but Remus called it bargaining. He demanded no more happy birthday songs until the end of the day or he would never tell them his genius plan.

No matter how much he hated the deal, Sirius really didn't see any other option, Remus was adamant. There was no singing until the end of dinner after which the Marauders retreated back to their base, the Gryffindor first-year's dorm.

Remus still insisted on waiting with the explanation until after they had relaxed and talked like normal people, which granted was a good choice because if he told them right away, the night would have turned into another planning night.

They laughed and joked enjoying each other's company. There was a little competition among Sirius, James and Peter about who could draw Remus the best in five minutes. Of course, they all knew that Peter would win, but it was still fun and chaotic. Then it came time for the presents.

James went first and, no surprise, it was a box full of chocolate frogs. Remus jolted in such excitement that Sirius thought that the box was filled with gold at first. Due to his and Peter's protest, the opening of mentioned chocolate frogs was postponed for after their presents.

Peter gifted him a book about wizarding poetry since Remus only ever read muggle one's. Again, the gift was met with huge excitement and gratitude from the tall boy.

Lastly, it was Sirius' turn because he asked to be the last insisting that his gift was the best. Remus took a rectangular, thin box wrapped in beige paper with a white bow and carefully lifted its lid.

Sirius immediately saw the happiness in the boy's face as he lifted a long, rectangular bookmark. It was made from wood with elegant details all over it except on the right side because there stood Remus' name. Engraved in light wood with beautiful cursive letters was written Remus J. Lupin.

Remus lifted his gaze from the bookmark to look at Sirius, "Sirius, I love it. Thank you.", he returned his gaze to the bookmark, "It's beautiful."

Sirius' face was barely able to hold his grin as he watched the boy in front of him stare at the present that he gifted him in awe. He remembered the picture frame Remus had gifted him for Christmas and wondered if Remus felt the same way about this bookmark, like it was something precious.

The beautiful moment was broken when Peter exclaimed, "Okay, can you please now tell us about the plan.", he whined looking expectedly at Remus. At those words, Sirius and James mirrored the smaller boy's expression and just waited.

A huge grin spread across Remus' face and all Sirius could think was This is going to be good.

"Listen to this. We are going to..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.6K 2.2K 25
โ๐š๐ซ๐ž๐ง'๐ญ ๐ฐ๐ž ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ฌ๐ข๐ง๐ง๐ž๐ซ๐ฌ?โž -๐’“.๐’‚.๐’ƒ. โž In a world of shadows and secrets ๐™๐™ค๐™ญ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™ฃ๐™š...
1.8M 49.5K 179
โœพ๐˜‘๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜—๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณโœพ โœงแดแด€ส€แด€แดœแด…แด‡ส€s แด‡ส€แด€โœง ษชษด แดกสœษชแด„สœ ๐˜‘๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜—๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ง๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ด ๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ๐˜ง ๐˜ง๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜จ๐˜ช๐˜ณ๐˜ญ ๐˜ฉ...
139K 5.7K 74
"You kissed Sirius," I sob. "I know, Cordelia." He whispers. "It's so horrible." "Yes, it is. I wish you hadn't had to see that," I rest my head agai...
3.5K 42 12
Sirius Black has been disowned, Remus Lupin is struggling with the reality of being a werewolf. Neither of them knows what their futures hold. When R...