Shattered (A Jack Johnson Fan...

By _saraxoxo7

17 year old Hailey Adams just moved from her home in New York to a small town in the middle of Nebraska calle... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Quick A/N
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27

Chapter 12

2.8K 86 27
By _saraxoxo7

Jack's P.O.V:

I awoke now to screaming. I opened my eyes to see Hailey sitting upright next to me gasping for air, sweat dotting her forehead, and her blond hair matted to her face.

"Hailey!" I said. I looked at my closed door. Thank God my mom was a heavy sleeper.

On instinct, I sat up and took Hailey into my arms. Her body trembled and she was breathing heavily.

"Hailey...shh...it was just a nightmare. It's over now, okay? Shh, you're fine. You're here with me. It's okay." I said soothingly, stroking her hair.

She looked up at me, her face stained with tears and running makeup. I still thought she looked stunning.

"I'm so sorry Jack, I-I haven't had one of those nightmares in a while." She said to me.

I cocked my head intently.

"What do you mean?" 

Hailey sighed.

"I guess it's come to the point where I should tell you everything about my past, huh?"

I shook my head in the moonlit room.

"No, you don't have to explain-"

"Yes, I do."  Hailey cut me off. 

I grew quiet, and then she began to speak again.

                                                       *

After she finished telling me everything, we sat in silence for a minute or two.

"I know it's a lot to take in."  Hailey said now.

I nodded.

"That's why I was so scared at the party when Jackson tried to have sex with me.  My father made me paranoid."

I took her hand and squeezed it.

"None of this is your fault.  Everything that happened to you is his fault."

I looked into her bright eyes.

"You don't have to be afraid anymore.  Your dad is out of your life for good.  And...you have me now." I said in a jumble.

I thought about the stuff I was hiding from Hailey.

"Hailey. Can I tell you some stuff about me now?"  I asked.

She nodded, and I began my story about how me and Jack Gilinsky were best friends, then he started hanging around Sammy, Nate and Mike, and him and the others began to say the meanest stuff to me.  Then, my dad and my brother died in the same year, and the bullying didn't stop.  

I also told her about how I was diagnosed with bipolar depression last year, and how I used to cut myself.  When I was done, tears were flowing down her face again.

"Oh Jack, I'm so sorry!"  She exclaimed.

I felt my own tears threaten to escape, but I held them back.

"Yeah...me too."  I answered.

"Well, we have each other now."  Hailey said.

I smiled, even though she couldn't see it in the dark.

"And I'm really glad we do."  I replied as we laid back down and went back to sleep."

                                                                           *

"Jack, honey!  Are you awake? Can I come in?"  I heard my mom's voice behind my closed door.  

She had a habit on checking on me every morning to make sure I didn't you know...do stuff.

As if on cue, Hailey and I both opened our eyes at the same time and sprang up out of bed.

"Uh, hold on Mom!  I'm um...just getting dressed!" I shouted.

My mom was silent for a second.

"Well, hurry and come down for breakfast.  I'm hoping Hailey likes French toast."

Hailey and I looked at each other with wide eyes.

I opened my mouth to say something back,  but I heard my mom walk away from the door and down the stairs. 

Hailey smacked her hand on her forehead.

"How does she know I'm here?"  She whispered.

"I don't know!"  

"Did she hear me scream?"

I shook my head.

"I don't think so." 

She sighed.

"Well, I can't go downstairs looking like this?  Do you have clothes I could borrow?"  She asked.

I rummaged through my closet and drawers until I found a long sleeved shirt and old sweatpants that I never wore anymore and tossed them to Hailey. I usually wore long sleeved shirts and sweaters now, because I still had scars on my wrists from the cutting.

"Turn around and close your eyes so I can change."  She commanded in a sweet but firm tone.

I did as she asked but I could feel my heart changing pace.  How could be so comfortable with this, even if I wasn't looking?

"Okay, I'm done."  She announced now.

I turned.

She stuffed her dress and shoes in her backpack.

I went into my shoes basket and got her a pair of my gray Vans.

"Here.  Wear these for today."  I said, handing them to her.

She smiled gratefully and tugged the shoes on.  

 I shrugged on a sweater and jeans, then we both headed downstairs.

The smell of my mom's famous French toast and fresh brewed coffee wafted in through the kitchen.

My mom looked up when we walked in and smiled.

"Good morning!  Are you hungry?"  

Hailey and I looked at each other, then back at my mom.

"Yeah, sure."  I answered.

We sat at the kitchen table while my mom fixed us breakfast.

"Thank you, Mrs Johnson!"  Hailey said as my mom set a plate of French toast with a cup of coffee in front of her.

"Hailey, I told you to call me Jenn. "  My mom answered with mock sterness.

I got my breakfast next, and we both dug in.

It was awkward as we ate, because nobody talked.  

When we finished, Hailey took the plates before my mom could and brought them to the sink.

"Don't worry about the dishes, honey.  I can do them.  Will you be staying for a little longer?" My mom asked.

Hailey shook her head.

"No, I'd better be going.  Thank you so much for breakfast."  She turned to me now.

"Drive me home?"  She asked in a soft voice.

I nodded.

"Of course."

                                                                          *

We pulled into Hailey's driveway and I stopped the engine. 

"Thanks for...everything."  Hailey said now.

I looked sideways at her.

"No problem." I took a deep breath.

"I'm glad I told you that stuff.  It makes me feel closer to you."  I said.

Hailey grinned.

"I'm happy you told me.  And if you need to talk about anything, I'm here.  Always."  She said.

"Thanks."

"Anytime.  Now, let me go deal with my mom's wrath."

She got all her stuff together and got out of the car.

Before she shut the door,  she held it open and looked at me.

"You know, I'm glad I met you.  I guess moving to the middle of nowhere has its benefits." 

I laughed and her mouth curved into a smile.

"See you later."  She shut the door and walked up the steps into house, going inside. 

I sighed as I revved up the engine and drove away.

                                                                         *

I got back to my house.  My mom was waiting for me in the foyer when I walked in. 

"Oh.  Hi."  I said, and started to make a beeline for my room.

"Jack." My mom called.

I stopped short, but kept my back to her. 

"I'm not mad."

I turned to her now.

"You're not?"

She shook her head.

"You obviously didn't do anything...inapropriate." 

I flushed.

"But..how did you know she was here?"  I asked.

"I heard you going down the stairs and then opening the front door.  Then I saw the car headlights in my window.  Then I stayed up until you got home and I overheard you two talking.  Then I just went back to sleep.  I wasn't concerned."  

I sighed inwardly.  She hadn't heard Hailey screaming.

" You're a good friend to her, Jack.  You two need each other.  I'm proud of you.  And I know your father would've been too."  My mom smiled slightly and walked away, leaving me alone on the staircase.

I smiled to myself as I walked upstairs.

I had a good feeling that she was right. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75.7K 1.1K 67
Β© All Rights Reserved Laney's just a small town girl with big hopes, so what happens when she ends up falling for not 1 but 3 of the Omaha boys? And...
76.3K 1.5K 48
"that's, uh, because he's your father." ________________________________________ sixteen year old natalie jenner gets pregnant by jack gilinsky. aft...
470K 7.1K 29
Lakyn Ellis is just a normal 17 year old girl in Omaha, Nebraska but with over protective parents. When her parents won't let her date anyone her and...
209 42 6
"You should care, Dylan. You would still be living in the back of a car, stealing from Seven Eleven! Is that what you want?" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...