璧玉之輪 | Fortuitous Jade

By baitian_exe

"HeiLi, you will be dispatched for another mission" Hearing that, Xiao Tian immediately leaped off the window... More

Character + Glossary
Chapter 1 - Prologue
Chapter 2 - A glimpse of you
Chapter 3 - Obsession
Chapter 4 - Encounter
Chapter 5 - Promises
Chapter 6 - Attraction
Chapter 7 - A Nickname?
Chapter 8 - HeiLi
Chapter 9 - I am not a Prey
Chapter 10 - It's a date!
Chapter 11 - A fleeting moment
Chapter 12 - My past
Chapter 13 - Jade Pendant
Chapter 14 - Partner
Chapter 15 - Dreams
Chapter 16 - Reunion
Chapter 17 - Storm
Chapter 18 - Rivalry
Chapter 19 - Mission Complete
Chapter 20 - This is unlike you
Chapter 21 - Point of no return
Chapter 22 - Just like the old times
Chapter 23 - Vengeance
2nd Anniversary!
Chapter 24 - Yearning
Chapter 25 - Turmoil
Chapter 26 - Intoxication
Chapter 28 - Fragments of the past
Chapter 29 - Crimson Shard
Chapter 30 - Investigation
Chapter 31 - Instincts
Chapter 32 - Memory
Chapter 33 - Xiao Tian
Chapter 34 - Someone Special

Chapter 27 - Identity

29 2 0
By baitian_exe

Chapter Notes:

Recap: Xiao Tian and Bai Feng spent an intimate night together, yet the informant couldn't recall what happened as he was heavily drunk.

On one hand, the assassin wished that the cedar-haired beauty would remember, but on the other hand, he was relieved that Bai Feng couldn't recall what they did.

We will update the chapter art soon~

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Ever since that night, the short-haired assassin can't help but want to stay close to the informant. Just like a moth drawn to the flame, Xiao Tian craved Bai Feng's warmth. The assassin then sighed, missing the drunken version of the golden-eyed beauty that night, he was just too adorable. He wished that the stoic man would be more honest in his coherent state too.

"Anything bothering you?" Bai Feng asked as he stopped writing on his scroll, noticing that the assassin was quieter than usual.

You would chase me out if you knew what I was thinking in my mind Xiao Bai.. thought the assassin.

"Anyway, why do you suddenly have a net around your bed Xiao Bai?" the assassin eyed the net that completely ruined the aesthetic of the room.

"Insect bites.." the informant huffed in annoyance.

Wait.. He can't possibly think the marks I left were.. The assassin fought the urge to facepalm that very moment.

"These won't keep the 'insect' away Xiao Bai.." the onyx-haired man sighed as he took down the netting.

Xiao Tian was both frustrated and relieved that the informant couldn't remember much when he got drunk. After all, if the golden-eyed beauty recall everything, there was a high chance that he would shut himself away from the assassin.

Seeing Xiao Tian sighing multiple times this evening, the informant can't help but ask.

"Are you.. perhaps unwell?" the cedar-haired man now looked at Xiao Tian with slight concern in his eyes.

"Yeah.. Maybe I do need a breather.." the assassin replied as he took off his mask and placed it on the table.

But this action made the informant highly alert.

Bai Feng immediately stood up and grabbed his sword with a serious look on his face.

"What is your objective—" the cedar-haired beauty asked suspiciously. Xiao Tian tried to approach the cedar-haired beauty but was quickly stopped by a blade pointed at his neck.

"Don't take a step closer" the informant warned, his sword still unwavering.

"Xiao Bai? Why are you suddenly like this.." the assassin remained expressionless yet there were signs of slight distress.

"Why would you show your face all of a sudden?"

Honey-colored eyes met Jade.

That was when Xiao Tian realized that Bai Feng truly couldn't remember anything from that night.

"I just wanted to breathe for a bit, and since there's only you and me in this room.." Xiao Tian started.

"It still doesn't explain.. Now that I know your identity.." the informant gritted his teeth but the assassin seemed to be taken aback by Bai Feng's reaction.

"Wait wait.. I think you misunderstood something here Xiao Bai.." Xiao Tian tried to calm the cedar-haired beauty down.

"Knowing one's identity as an assassin.. Do you expect me to believe that you'll let me go alive?" the golden-eyed man hissed with hostility.

"Xiao Bai calm down.. Let's talk.." the short-haired man coaxed, he did not expect such a reaction from the informant. But thinking back, it's natural for the overly vigilant man to behave this way. After all, Xiao Tian almost assassinated him a few times already.

"Talk? Put away your weapons and we'll talk" Bai Feng commanded sarcastically. The assassin lets out a small sigh and puts his daggers on the table.

"There.. Do you trust me now?" Xiao Tian asked with a dejected tone, but the informant was eyeing him closely, from the top of his head down to his shoes. So the assassin let out a small "oh" and proceeded to take off his clothes layer by layer.

"W-Wait what are you doing?" the golden-eyed beauty now flustered, as Xiao Tian walked closer and closer to him with his torso completely exposed.

"D-Don't move any closer!" the cedar-haired man said in a panic as he was cornered to the wall. But of course, the assassin ignored all of Bai Feng's warnings and continued to lean closer. Then Xiao Tian grabbed the informant's hand and placed it on his chest, causing the golden-eyed beauty to drop his sword.

"You can check for any hidden weapons, that way you'll feel safer no?" the assassin smirked slightly as he watched Bai Feng turn red.

Without his mask, the informant can now see Xiao Tian's facial expression. The slight upturn of the corner of his lips, and the glint in his sharp yet mesmerizing jade orbs was reflecting his current mischief. The assassin is definitely attractive, but Bai Feng would never admit that.

"There is no need! Quickly put on your clothes.." the informant looked away, unable to maintain any more eye contact with the assassin as heat rose up his cheeks.

"Aww, you won't check? I might hide some 'secret weapon' somewhere~ It might be dangerous you know?" the cheeky man continued to bring the informant's hands down to his toned abdomen. Honey-colored eyes wavered as the assassin continued to get closer to the cedar-haired beauty.

Suddenly, the pair heard a rustle so Bai Feng quickly pulled Xiao Tian closer to him, hiding his face away. In such proximity, the short-haired assassin was quickly enveloped by a calming scent coming from the informant. The two kept quiet for some time before Bai Feng let go of the assassin and shoved the unique mask onto Xiao Tian's face.

"How could you let people know your identity so easily? What kind of assassin are you.." Bai Feng returned to his seat as the jade-eyed assassin started to get dressed.

"I only reveal my identity to whom I love~" Xiao Tian said in a happy-go-lucky manner.

"You shouldn't tease people like that, they might get the wrong idea" the informant scolded.

"Aw~ guess you're back to your usual self already" the assassin intentionally wore his robes sloppily, causing the cedar-haired beauty to frown.

"How are you this messy when getting dressed.." the informant made his way towards Xiao Tian and helped him tuck his hanfu properly. The golden-eyed man smoothed down his robes when suddenly the assassin took Bai Feng's hand and kissed his fingertips.

The sudden action caused the stoic man to quickly return to his seat, with his earlobe and cheeks flushed pink, once again scolding the jade-eyed man for his flirtatious behavior.

How cute~ thought the assassin as he plopped down onto the cushion.

As he stared at the cedar-haired beauty diligently writing on his scroll, Xiao Tian suddenly remembered something that was bugging him. With time, the assassin slowly becomes intrigued about the informant's past. Unfortunately, Bai Feng is quite a private person, he doesn't talk much about himself unless asked. There were so many questions Xiao Tian wanted to ask the cedar-haired beauty.

What happened to his family? How did he end up alone in this manor? Why did his family want him dead? But can he ask these questions?

Sensing the assassin's curious gaze, Bai Feng set down his brush and looked straight at Xiao Tian.

"What is it? Seems like you have something to say"

"I have some questions, but" Xiao Tian hesitated for a moment.

"That's unlike you to be so reserved. I'll indulge your curiosity as I see fit."

"Xiao Bai, why does your family want you dead?" the assassin asked straightforwardly.

"It's going to be a long story, so I'll brew us some tea." the informant sighed before requesting hot water from one of his attendants, and soon the room was filled with a fragrant scent. Bai Feng also didn't forget to give Xiao Tian a jar of honey to sweeten his tea. Since the assassin visits regularly, the cedar-haired beauty has added a few things to his room to make things convenient: extra cushions, cups, a jar of honey, and a medic kit to name a few.

"Unfortunately, as long as I remember I was never part of the family," the golden-eyed man started.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Everyone in the manor was cheering, welcoming the birth of another healthy baby boy into the world.

"My lady!" a woman cried tears of joy as she showed the adorable baby to the clan leader's wife. The newborn cried endlessly until his mother held him gently in her arms.

"He's beautiful.."

A few years passed and now Bai Feng has grown into a toddler, following his brother around everywhere just like a duckling to its mother duck. The two siblings got along so well and spent so much time together that they started to behave like twins. Even appearance-wise, it would be difficult to tell them apart if not for their eye color.

Everything seemed to be perfect, a happy family of four. A genius doctor led the clan with a gorgeous lady who was just as proficient in medicine, complete with well-behaved and intelligent sons. Every day was filled with smiles and laughter.

So who would've guessed that it would simply be a fleeting moment for the family?

One unfortunate day, as young Bai Feng was watching his mother write on her scrolls, she broke into a coughing fit. Blood trickled down her lips and her attendants immediately rushed to her side.

Ever since conceiving Bai Feng, the lady's health has been deteriorating. Even with the powerful tonics brewed in the clan, she doesn't seem to get any better.

Knowing this fact ever since he could start to understand, the young boy was terrified that his mother would leave him.

Seeing his mother slumped over, young Bai Feng's ears rang, he couldn't hear what his mother was saying, his vision blurred due to his tears, and he was scared.

"Mother, don't leave.." was all he could think of.

When he slips back into focus, it looks like a hurricane just passed through. The loud crashing sounds had attracted a lot of people to gather. Words like "cursed" and "demon" were spouted as they saw the ladies buried under rubble, heavily injured.

Since then, Bai Feng has been hidden away in the house. The second son of the main family unfortunately has caused a couple of attendants to lose their lives. It was a very hot topic of discussion amongst the family.

The young boy was treated like a criminal, even though he could barely understand what had happened. Everyone suddenly hated and feared young Bai Feng. Not even his own father was on his side. All the servants in the manor and extended families also refused to make eye contact with the toddler.

"I heard he was born the same day that murderer was deemed dead hundreds of years ago.. It was too much of a coincidence wasn't it?" once the news leaked to the public, even more malicious comments started to circulate amongst townspeople.

But as time passed by, the young boy got used to this kind of treatment. As long as he had his mother and brother by his side, he would persevere and everything was going to be fine. They were his support pillars, those hands always reached out to Bai Feng whenever he fell, felt alone, or was feeling sad. Unfortunately, things soon turned out for the worse.

Rumors spread fast and the clan leader had to quickly address the issue before it was blown out of proportion.

In a large meeting hall, all the elders of the family can be found sitting neatly in rows across each other with every person having a small table for refreshments. For all the family members to gather here..

It was quite a discussion.

Everyone knew what the topic of discussion was going to be, "the horrifying accidental murder in the main house" yet no one dared to speak a word before the clan leader.

"Thank you for coming to our humble home, fellow brothers and sisters. As you all know, there was an incident... some time ago, regarding my son." started the clan leader.

"He.. had done something that has caused quite a stir.. So we are here to discuss said matter" 

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Author's Notes:

Hope you enjoyed reading 'Identity' <3 Votes and comments are highly appreciated!

Don't forget to add the story to your reading lists so you won't miss an update from us <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.3K 1.3K 13
Why does this always happen to him?? Kang Yoojin had dived in front of a car to save a child, and had died as a result. Then he woke up to find himse...
446 28 5
Rewrite of the Rebirths of Hēi Shui: Twisted wonderland. After dying miserably yet again but now with a wish for his loved ones to be safe, even if i...
37.7K 1.8K 16
Jin Guang Yao, the once known child of a prostitute, the ruthless Lanling Jin Sect Leader who killed his father, brother, teacher, wife, son, and fri...
2.9M 111K 138
Ye Zexi transmigrated as the big villain in a danmei novel, who shares the same name as him. Then, he found out that everyone regards him as an imagi...