Space Odyssey

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Darcie is chosen for and sent on a mission, alongside others, for, what feels to her, as a once in a lifetime... More

Aesthetic and Background
Darcie's Ditties
Psych Evaluation
Readying to Go
I. Sol 18 (Part I)
II. Sol 18 (Part II)
III. Sol 18 (Part III)
IV. Sols 19-21
V. Sols 21-31
VI. Sols 36-48
VII. Sols 48-54
VIII. Sols 70-78
X. Sols 128-134
XI. Sols 135-154
XII. Sols 155-186
XIII. Sols 187-219
XIV. Sols 220-537
XV. 538-561
XVI. Operation Rescue (Part I)
XVII. Operation Rescue (Part II)
XVIII. From Home and Beyond

IX. Sols 79-109

43 0 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

Sol 79

Mark said, "It's been 48 sols since Darcie and I planted the potatoes, so now its time to reap and re-sow. They grew even better than we expected. We now have 400 healthy potato plants. The smaller ones we'll re-seed. The larger ones are our food supply. All natural, organic, Martian-grown potatoes. You don't hear that every day, do you? But, by the way, none of this matters, at all, if Darcie and I don't figure out how to make contact with NASA..."

Darcie bit her lip and let out a sigh. "Don't finish that thought. I have to get back to my boys."

INT. HAB - NIGHT

Mark and Darcie sat at the table, studying their maps. They couldn't crack the problem.

Darcie pointed to something and the two shared a look. A smile formed on Mark's face and he nodded.

Chryse Planitia.

Mark leapt from his chair, knocking Darcie's chair down in the process. She fell and shot him a look as she stood. He gave her an apologetic look and studied the map up close.

Mark nodded again and whispered to himself, "I know what Darcie and I are gonna do."

Darcie smiled and said softly, "I think we've got something. Chris, hopefully I will get to see you and our son soon."

EXT. MARS - DAY

Mark and Darcie had uncovered Pathfinder. They stared at it with a similar gleam in their eye. Then he dragged the Lander to the back of Rover 2, and the two began lashing it to a makeshift hitch.

Sol 109

EXT. HAB - DAY

Sojourner sat beside the watching as Mark and Darcie methodically, at a workbench outside the Hab, tooke apart the Lander. 

He removed the battery and replaced it with an environment heater. He locked the heater into place, and it clicked.

INT. JPL GARAGE - DAY

PATHFINDER LOG: SOL 0 BOOT SEQUENCE INITIATED TIME 00:00:00 LOADING OS... PERFORMING HARDWARE CHECK...

INT TEMPERATURE: - 34C, EXT TEMPERATURE: NONFUNCTIONAL, BATTERY: FULL, HIGAIN: Okay, LOGAIN: Okay, METEOROLOGY: NONFUNCTIONAL, SOLAR A: NONFUNCTIONAL, SOLAR B: NONFUNCTIONAL, SOLAR C: NONFUNCTIONAL, HARDWARE CHECK COMPLETE
BROADCASTING STATUS
LISTENING FOR TELEMETRY SIGNAL... LISTENING FOR TELEMETRY SIGNAL... LISTENING FOR TELEMETRY SIGNAL... SIGNAL ACQUIRED.

INT. JPL GARAGE - DAY

Vincent, Bruce and the JPL team saw the words come main screen. The room began to buzz.

EXT. HAB - DAY

Mark and Darcie stared at the high gain antenna on the Lander. It started to move, angling towards Earth. Mark began to dance and Darcie cheered.

INT. JPL GARAGE - DAY

Vincent and Bruce clustered around the station of Tim who said, "As soon as I received the high-gain response, I directed Pathfinder to take a panoramic image."

"Have you received it yet?" Vincent asked.

"Yes, but I thought we would all rather
look at this black screen instead of a vibrant red planet."

Bruce, off Vincent's look, said, "Tim is our finest comm tech, and we all appreciate his acerbic wit." He mouthed "I will fire you" to Tim.

"Incoming."

On the screens, the panoramic started to appear, one stripe at a time.

"Martian surface... more surface..." Vincent said.

"There's the Hab!" Bruce cried.

"What's that? Up on the- It-" The image revealed a handwritten note, posted on a metal rod. ""Darcie and I'll write messages here. Are you receiving?"" The image revealed two more notes, spaced a few feet apart. ""Point here for yes." "Point here for no.""

"Thirty-two minute round trip communications time," Tim said. "They can only ask yes/no questions, and all we can do is point the camera. This won't exactly be an Algonquin round table of snappy repartee.

"Tim," Bruce called.

"Roger that. Pointing the camera..."

EXT. MARS - DAY

Mark and Darcie watched as the camera moved towards one of his notes.

"YES."

"So here's the rub..." Mark began.

INT. HAB - DAY

Mark addressed the camera. "Somehow, we need to have complex astrophysical engineering conversations using only a still-frame camera. From 1996. Luckily, the camera spins 360, so Darcie and I can make an alphabet. We just can't use our alphabet. Twenty-six letters plus question card into 360 gives us 13 degrees of arc. Too narrow. We wouldn't know what the camera was pointing at. So. Hexadecimals to the rescue..."

EXT. HAB - DAY

Mark methodically set up cards marked "A-F" and "0-9" in a circle around the camera. "I figured one of you guys kept an ASCII table somewhere..."

INT. HAB - DAY

Mark sat in Johanssen's bunk and was scrolling through her laptop. "Ladies and gentlemen, I give you supernerd Beth Johanssen, who also had copies of Zork 2 and Leather Goddesses of Phobos on her laptop. Seriously, Johanssen... it's like the Smithsonian of loneliness on there..."

Darcie laughed softly. "It was fun to play."

INT. JPL GARAGE - DAY

Tim consulted an ASCII chart as he pointed the camera.

EXT. HAB - DAY

The camera swung from card to card as Mark said, "Not that Darcie and I are complaining. Well, not me at least." Darcie swatted his shoulder. "Hey!"

INT. HAB - DAY

Mark translated the numbers with his ASCII table. "HOW ALIVE"

Mark glanced at Darcie and they pondered the question before he wrote the response.

INT. JPL GARAGE - NIGHT

""Impaled by antenna. Bio-monitor destroyed. Crew had reason to think me and Darcie dead. Not their fault.""

INT. ROVER - NIGHT

Mark inputed the code into the rover's computer. "Now that we can have more complicated conversations, the smart people at NASA have sent me and Darcie instructions on how to hack the rover so that it can talk to Pathfinder. If she and I hack a tiny bit of code, just twenty instructions in the Rover's operating system, NASA can link the rover to Pathfinder's broadcasting frequency... and we're in business."

Mark and Darcie waited patiently at the computer.

Text popped up on Mark's screen.

Venkat said, "Mark, Darcie, this is Vincent Kapoor..."

INT. JPL - GARAGE - NIGHT

Vincent and Bruce huddled around Tim's console while Vincent dictated and Tim typed.

Vincent continued. "We've been watching you two since Sol 54..."

INT. NASA - MISSION CONTROL - NIGHT

Teddy, Mitch, Annie and the rest of the team watched Vincent's text cross the screen.

Vincent was still speaking. ""The whole world is rooting for you two. Amazing job, getting Pathfinder. We're working on rescue plans. Meantime...""

INT. ROVER - NIGHT

Mark and Darcie read the text. It was their first human contact in quite some time.

Vincent continued. ""We're putting together a supply mission to keep you two fed until Ares 4 arrives.""

INT. JPL GARAGE - NIGHT

Vincent and Bruce huddled around Tim's console as Tim read, ""Glad to hear it. Really looking forward to not dying.""

Everyone laughed and cheered. Tim noticed there was more and read it aloud. ""How's the crew? What did they say when they found out Darcie and I were alive?" And there's a message from Darcie. "How'd Beck react?"

Vincent and Bruce shared a glance and Vincent thought about it.

"Tell them," Bruce said. "Hm. Tell them..."

INT. ROVER - NIGHT

Mark and Darcie watched the text pop up onscreen.

Vincent said, "We haven't told the crew you two are alive yet. We need them to concentrate on the mission.""

INT. JPL GARAGE - NIGHT

The whole room waited patiently. Tim read the response. "He says... "They don't know we're alive? What the-" He hesitated."What the... f-word... f-word in gerund form... f-word again... is wrong with you... f-words." And Darcie says, "how dare you not tell them! My husband thinks we're dead and you haven't told them we're freaking alive? He doesn't know I'm alive?! You're unbelievable!""

"Mark, please watch your language..." Vincent said. "Darcie, please calm you down..."

INT. ROVER - NIGHT

Mark and Darcie read the response and the latter scoffed.

Vincent continued. "Everything you two type is being broadcast live all over the world."

Mark and Darcie's eyes narrowed as he typed a response. He hit enter. Darcie impatiently waited for an answer.

INT. JPL GARAGE - NIGHT

The group read Mark's response. They went pale. Vincent hung his head. Tim tried not to smile and failed.

INT. NASA - TEDDY'S OFFICE - NIGHT

Teddy was on the phone as Mitch approached.

Teddy said into the phone, "Yes sir... they're under a tremendous amount of stress... I understand. We're working on it. Thank you, sir." He hung up and glanced at Mitch. "I just had to explain to the President of the United States what a "bureaucratic felcher" is."

"I made the mistake of typing it into Google," Mitch said. He added off Teddy's look. "Don't." He paused a moment. "Problem is, Mark and Darcie are right. This is only gonna get worse the longer we wait. We need to tell the crew."

"You're bringing this up while Vincent's
in Pasadena so he can't argue the other side."

"I shouldn't have to clear this with you
or Vincent or anyone else." He paused a moment. "It's time, Teddy."

Teddy thought about it and agreed the crew should know.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.4K 1.5K 33
After years of ups and down, Ryan William is left all alone even though he's surround by a lot of people. Choosing his love over the girl everyone th...
556 2 21
Two super-rich kids grow into young adulthood and struggle with their feelings for one another. She has loved him for quite some time, but he is unsu...
11.3K 352 23
Doctor Teagan Campbell gets the opportunity of a lifetime to join a Mars mission. Everything seems perfect and all are set to return home. Naturally...
6.2M 210K 52
She has it all except his heart. She had done both amazing and ridiculous things but was still treated as a wallflower. She's been a good wife. Bu...