How to Stay Afloat

By Reeyu97

Fallon's sole ambition in life is to escape her miserable hometown once and for all. She dreams of driving aw... More

~D E S C R I P T I O N~
~P r o l o g u e~
~1: Where She Tries to Bribe a Man with a Cupcake~
~2: Where She's Definitely NOT Being a Stalker~
~3: Where He is Definitely Being Stalked~
~4: Where She Lets Him in on a Secret~
~5: Where He Decides to Fix Her Car~
~6: Where She Sees His Abs~
~7: Where She Introduces Him to Spartacus~
~8: Where He has Company for Lunch~
~9: Where She's Invited to a Party~
~10: Where She Tries to Hide in the Bathroom~
~11: Where She Tells Him About Her Past~
~12: Where She Tells Everyone Her Brilliant Idea~
~13: Where She Takes Part in an Auction~
~14: Where She Lives a Little With Him~
~15: Where She Ends Up on the Beach~
~16: Where He Asks a 'Friend' For a Favor~
~17: Where She Gets a Reality Check~
~18: Where He Goes on a Date~
~19: Where She Goes for a Drive~
~20: Where She's Not His 'Friend'~
~21: Where She Defends Him~
~22: Archer's Story~
~23: Where She Learns About His Past~
~24: Where She Gets Him a Little Wet~
~25: Where He Finds a Place to Stay~
~26: Where She Gets a Roommate~
~27: Where He's Jealous~
~28: Where She Finally Gets Closure~
~29: Where She Cheers for Him~
~30: Where She Confesses~
~31: Where She Asks Him About the Future~
~32: Where She Has Her First Fight With Him~
~33: Where She Has an Unexpected Visitor~
~35: Where She Decides to Ask Him to Prom~
~36: Where She Gets Him a Cookie~
~37: Where She Visits the Place She Came From~
~38: Where She Goes to Prom~
~39: Where She Confronts Her Past~
~40: Where She Gets an Offer~
~41: Where She Realizes That Some People Never Change~
~42: Where She Gets Caught in the Middle~
~43: Where He Can't Find Her~
~44: Where all He Feels is Hollowness~
~45: Where He Meets Her Brother~
~46: Where He Goes to See His Father~
~47: Where He Finally Accepts~
~48: Bittersweet Endings and Hopeful Beginnings~

~34: Where He Decides to Ask Her to Prom~

697 39 3
By Reeyu97

CHAPTER 34:

Where He Decides to Ask Her to Prom

|Archer|

~~**~~

Swim practice had been brutal. My entire body ached.

I needed to be at work in half an hour. I leaned my head back and stretched my legs over the wooden bench in the locker room.

Our final tournament was just around the corner so the team had been practicing non-stop. For most of the seniors on the team, it was probably the last time they'd be swimming to compete.

I frowned when I checked my phone. I still hadn't heard from the University of Florida and had a week to give California State University my final answer regarding their offer. My thoughts were a complete mess I had no idea what to do.

If I accepted the scholarship California State was offering I knew that Fallon would choose to stay here with me. And even though she'd told me she was okay with it, I knew she hated this place. I noticed the looks people gave her wherever she went, the way they whispered about her behind her back. I knew how hard it was to live in a place where people associated you with a tragic incident from your past. It was like you had to relive that pain over and over again.

I faced a similar situation after that whole incident with Jordan happened. It was the reason why my family had moved. I couldn't make Fallon live in a place that made her feel that way.

"Heading out, Hastings?" Colton's voice called from behind me.

"Yeah," I said as I stood up from the bench and faced him.

"Want a lift?" He offered. His car keys dangled from his forefinger.

"Sure," I said with a shrug after a moment of contemplation.

For a while, we just walked in silence.

"So, did you ask Fallon to the prom yet?" Colton asked as we headed towards the parking lot.

I gave him a funny look. "No. Why do I need to ask? She's my girlfriend." I told him pointedly.

He grabbed my arm and halted, stopping me with him. It was his turn to look at me in disbelief. "Dude, you seriously can't be this stupid."

"What?" I asked incredulously.

Colton shook his head. "It's supposed to be a gesture."

He laughed at my confused expression.

"It's the effort you put in that counts." He explained.  "It's like a token of your affection for your partner. It doesn't matter if you're already together and it's obvious you're supposed to go together. You still have to ask the girl."

I ran a hand through my hair as I contemplated what he'd said. His words did make sense.

Fallon deserves to be treated like a queen.

She deserves to feel special.

I'd go to any lengths to earn one of her beautiful sunshine smiles.

I could feel my lips tilting in a smile.

I was going to ask Fallon Chambers to the Prom.

I just had to come up with the most perfect way to do it because my girl deserved nothing less than perfection.

"You know. . ." Colton said in a low voice interrupting my thoughts, "If you haven't asked Fallon yet, I could always give it a try. Who knows maybe she'll go with-"

My head whipped in his direction as I took an involuntary step towards him.

"I dare you to finish that sentence." I grit out.

The asshole just chuckled again completely unfazed by my anger.

He lifted his hands in mock surrender. "Chill the fuck out Hastings I was joking." His lips twisted into a sly smirk. "I've already asked someone to the prom and it's not your girl."

~~**~~

It was close to ten PM when I finally came home.

I unlocked the apartment door and sighed in frustration when it refused to budge. After a couple of pushes it finally opened with a loud creak.

I made a mental reminder to fix the door first thing tomorrow morning. It was a hazard. I didn't want Fallon getting hurt because of it.

There's a trick to opening it, you know?" Fallon's soft voice came from the living room. Her eyes lit up when she saw me and her lips pulled up into a breathtaking smile, and, even though it was night time I felt like I had been submerged in sunshine.

She got up from where she was sitting on the couch and started walking towards me and all my exhaustion, every conflicting thought and emotion I'd felt throughout the day suddenly seemed to melt away.

"This is why nothing else matters." A voice inside my head whispered.

No scholarship, no amount of money, nothing can make you feel the way you feel when you're around her.

She put her arms around my waist and hugged me. She rested her chin on my chest and looked up at me adorably, "You have to pull the door towards you first and then push it open for it to open."

I kissed the top of her head before planting my nose into her hair and inhaling her scent into my lungs. I was addicted to her smell. She smelled like lavender.

"I'll fix it tomorrow," I murmured.

She stepped back from me, making me instantly miss her warmth.

"There might still be some hot water left for you to shower." She told me.

I raised my eyebrows in mock offense, "Is this your way of telling me that I stink?"

She scrunched her nose, "Maybe." She teased.

I chuckled before making a beeline for the washroom. I was grimy from working all day at the garage and pretty sure I smelled like shit too. Fallon trailed after me.

I stripped out of my dirty overalls and put them in the laundry hamper. I watched Fallon's eyes heat when I reached for the bottom of my tank top.

"Want to join me?" I asked as I tugged off the tank top and reached for my boxers.

I bit my lip, trying to stop myself from smiling as I watched the pretty blush on her cheeks spread down her neck.

"I took a shower like an hour ago." She breathed, backing up as I walked towards her.

My hands grasped the hem of the oversized T-shirt she was wearing.

"Take another one," I growled.

My lips twisted into a sly smirk. "Don't worry, we won't be wasting any water."

~~**~~

We were lying on the bed after we'd had ramen for dinner. Our hair was still damp from the shower.

I noticed that Fallon was unusually silent.

I twisted my body so I was facing her.

"What's going on in there?" I whispered as I pressed a forefinger to her forehead.

Her eyes ran across my face and she bit her lip seemingly contemplating something.

Finally, she spoke, "Your mother came here today."

Her words had me sitting up in shock.

"What?" I demanded.

She slowly sat up and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear. I watched her throat move as she swallowed. "Your mother came here looking for you today."

I could feel the blood rushing in my ears. My heart was pounding. "Was my father with her?" I asked through clenched teeth.

She shook her head quickly. "No, it was just her."

Some of my worry seemed to ease.

"What did she want?" I asked, my voice was a little calmer now.

Fallon sighed and turned her head to stare out the window. "She was just worried about you Archer. She's your mother. We talked for a long time actually. She told me about Jordan, and about your childhood" Her lips tilted up into a rueful smile. "She also tried to give me money and asked me to convince you to move out of this apartment."

My entire body stiffened in disbelief. I felt nauseous all of a sudden. I shook my head in disgust. "You know, they made Jordan's life a living hell when he started going out with Shanaya."

Fallon gave me a small nod. "Your mother mentioned that." She whispered.

"Did she also tell you that the reason they didn't want him to marry Shanaya was that she came from a broken family and had no money to inherit?" I shook my head. "They wanted him to marry someone with a strong financial background and powerful social ties to further strengthen our family's position. They even picked out a list of acceptable women for him to pursue. Jordan ended up breaking up with Shanaya but he was never the same after that, he was never happy again."

Fallon looked appalled by my words, rightfully so.

"The funny thing is, after everything that happened with Jordan, I actually believed that they had changed." I chuckled humorlessly.

I turned to look at her and my expression softened. I ran my thumb along her jaw affectionately. "This must be hard for you," I murmured, "Me talking about how I want nothing to do with my parents when you never even got the chance to know yours."

Her lips tilted up into a soft smile, I could see the torment in her eyes. "This isn't about me, Archer." She shook her head. "And I'm not going to make it about myself by giving you some bullshit about how you're lucky compared to me for having parents. I'm not a child, I understand that parents can be unfit and abusive. I'm not going to tell you what to do because you can make your own decisions." She sighed. "I just don't want you to have any regrets."

I cupped her face in my hands and brushed my lips against hers.

She still seemed a little shaken. Her eyebrows were furrowed together like she was contemplating something.

I clasped the back of her neck with my hand and brought her close so her forehead rested against mine.

"The only regret I could possibly have in my life would be losing someone as breathtaking as you, Fallon Chambers."

~~**~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

REMINISCENT By

Teen Fiction

572 2 38
CHAPTERS EDITED☑️ "Do i remember?" I stare back confused "Do you remember..." she starts then looks down contemplating whether she should continue or...
9.6M 311K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...
280 11 9
Evie was a wild child. She was at (almost) every party, did every dare, and lived the way she wanted to. All so she could pour it into writing. She w...
22.7K 1.7K 85
"You ungrateful bitch. I keep a roof over your head, and this is the thanks I get?" "You could have killed her," I retort, trying to muster up confid...