Shadows' encyclopedia - The P...

By Niolife2

Rebecca is a young Black gothic. She has long been persecuted by her peers at school, because of her unusual... More

The secret of solitude 🎀
A weekend in hell 🎀
Rebecca's diary 🎀
Pyramides station 🎀
In Berenice's heart 🎀
Rebecca's diary 🎀
The Laurence's neighbour 1/2 🎀
The Laurence's neighbour 2/2 🎀
Louis Gerard 🎀
The Gerard house 🎀
Old memories 🎀
Rebecca's diary 🎀
Rebecca's identity 🎀
Massacre at the Gerard house 🎀
Rebecca's diary 🎀
A new meeting 🎀
An eventful reunion 🎀
The road to truth 🎀
Unknown world 🎀
Ralph Aquin 🎀
An intelligent troll 🎀
The Hero and the Traitor 🎀
Supreme Court of the Kingdom of Izbur 🎀
The training camp 🎀
Rebecca's diary 🎀
The story of The Nameless Hunter 🎀
First tests 🎀
Rebecca's diary 🎀
The Guide: Extract of existing vampire breeds 📜​
Monta archives 🎀
First mission 1/2 🎀

The Kingdom of Arahsmurd 🎀

33 2 16
By Niolife2

Faced with this situation, Christine felt powerless. She hadn't expected to meet her daughter here under these conditions. Her body froze at the sight of her anger. She put on a face marked by shame and knelt down in front of a suffering Rebecca. Christine realised that she should have taken responsibility earlier and reassured her daughter when she needed it. But Rebecca's love of vampires was so strong that being a Hunter seemed impossible. Her daughter was seething with rage at the sight of her in that outfit. She wondered about her profession and all the secrets she kept. All this time, her mother had kept the truth from her. Ralph realised that he had to let them both explain themselves. Christine apologised, but her daughter would have none of it.

"Rebecca... I'm so sorry."

"Mum, why didn't you tell me?"

"I needed time to accept that you were a Hunter..."

"When I told you I was seeing things, you didn't believe me. When I wanted to talk to you about it, you ran away! Do you think I can forgive you? Do you honestly think I can accept what you dared to do to me?" cried Rebecca, her eyes bloodshot.

"I'm..."

"I'm so angry! All this time I've been going through horrible things, it makes me sick. I needed you, but you weren't there! Thank God Dad was there..."

"Calm down. Rebecca," said her mother, embarrassed. "I'm really sorry, but I wanted to protect you. I didn't want to believe that you could be a Hunter. Since you loved vampires so much, I thought that if you knew they were being killed, you'd hate me a thousand times over."

"So what if I had? What difference would it have made? Can you tell me?"

"Rebecca, listen to me..."

"No, you listen to me! You need to prepare yourself for what I'm going to tell you... I'm a vampire," her daughter admitted, through clenched teeth.

"No... That's impossible," Christine stammered, terrified.

"Can't you see that something has changed in me since we left Picardie?"

 Rebecca was disgusted. Her hands were shaking visibly. Christine felt as if she were tumbling down the stairs. Her daughter, a vampire... impossible, she thought. In a low voice, Rebecca described the drama that had taken place at the Gerard house.

"What are you talking about?" Christine gasped, her face horrified.

"The Gerard are torturers; why didn't you tell me about them?"

"I told them to keep their distance from you... They're notorious torturers. I didn't want you to suspect anything about them and their despicable methods with vampires, but Rose insisted that we have dinner together and spend the holidays with them. She also mentioned one or two vampires on the loose who were lurking around and almost certainly in our house. She wanted to make sure we were OK, Rose was just doing her job."

"Well, I'm a vampire and Rose was right, but weren't you? They tried to test me because they had doubts about me... And then a vampire camouflaged in bandages from head to toe - who they were holding prisoner - came and saved me!"

Christine hastily put her hand over her mouth as if shocked by her daughter's revelations.

"I understand certain things better, but I didn't know you were a vampire," she mumbled in anguish. In any case, you have to pass the weapon test to be sure of what you're saying.

"I'm half vampire, Mum. The Gerard knew as soon as we arrived in the neighbourhood. I've had the worst time of my life. You have to tell me if you've had an affair with a vampire, yes or no!"

"I would never cheat on your father... It's my fault! I was looking for this vampire on my own, but I didn't want to arouse suspicion. You couldn't have been bitten, because I examined you when you were having fits as a child. This wandering vampire was described by the Gerard as a bloodthirsty beast, but as far as I'm concerned there are no evil creatures," said Christine, with a blank stare.

"Did you already know there was a vampire on the prowl?" added Rebecca, laughing as if she were hallucinating.

"Yes, ever since you got lost with Louis in the forest. I saw him bring you back with my own eyes, but I couldn't find him. The Gerard eventually captured him, but I don't know if it was the vampire who agreed to let himself be captured. It was just too easy!"

"Are you in the same line of work as the Gerard? Do you torture vampires?"

"No," Christine swore, "my methods are more flexible and less barbaric. I know that that strange vampire with the weathered stripes isn't here by chance... If he saved you, he'll do it again...

There was a silence under Christine's devastated gaze. Rebecca had many questions to ask her, but very little time.

"You also managed to hide from me a book that allowed me to take an oath... Do you realise that you've put me in danger! Mum, you're responsible for my misfortune."

Christine was replaying the film of her birth up to now. The way she dressed, the way she spoke, the way she behaved... Her taste for the gothic and her profound solitude had become her trademark. Christine regretted not having been able to accompany her as a mother. She suddenly came to her senses and continued the conversation.

"The Hunters are tough and strict. I didn't know you were going to appear before the Court of Justice! I would have done anything to protect you. I hid this book the day you got lost in the forest... I was afraid... I shouldn't have... I wasn't a worthy mother. I beg your forgiveness."

Ralph coughed to indicate that they had to leave. Christine, moved, said one last thing.

"I'll come and visit you later to find out what type of Hunter you are... I'll know whether or not you are what you say you are. There are too many wandering ears around here. Follow Ralph to the letter and you'll soon get the hang of it! One last thing, Rebecca, forgive me," finished the mother, dejected.

Christine left her without wasting any time. Rebecca felt lost, despite her mother's words. Ralph encouraged her to pull herself together and invited her to leave. With the loud sound of the doors closing, she set off for the citadel. The men who had brought her here were called the Peace Guards. They escorted her to the bridge with even more rigour than the first time. The bridge was so impressive that Rebecca had goose bumps. The wind blew over the guards guarding the entrance to the large city linked to the bridge. Ralph and his pupil entered, their eyes glued to the flags.

"Welcome to the City of Arahsmurd," he said happily.

The City of Arahsmurd was immense: many buildings were lost in the scenery. There were many merchants, long avenues accompanied by the scents of alcohol and seduction. The merchants wore traditional outfits not unlike those worn by peasants in the Middle Ages. An elf had a stall where children came to buy sweets. The sweets resembled liquorice and roasted insects. Further on, four officers were on patrol, listing legal products on a large parchment. In the air, wizards rode their broomsticks through the skies. Some went through magical portals with merchandise under their arms. The square was very large: everything was laid out like a town centre. There were slightly leaning towers, some of them twisted. To Rebecca's left were large inns with majestic signs. As she passed the shops, Rebecca discovered a variety of smells and a huge palette of blood. The style of dress and lifestyle of the people was very appealing to the young Goth. Everyone was wearing at least one long coat, hoods or capes... Rebecca admired the wizards. Their hands turned black and gave off electric shocks when they mumbled an incantation or used magic. Everyone had a gun: Rebecca was not reassured. Suddenly, something brushed against her: a large wolf. She clung to Ralph in fear.

"He's harmless," he laughed, reassuring her.

"Where are we going now?" asked Rebecca, ready to bolt.

"We're going to see the arms dealer, it's just across the road!"

A large shop appeared. A gigantic munition represented the shop sign. The smell of lead was unbearable for Rebecca. There was also a greyish-yellow smoke billowing all around the square. The shop was situated between two narrow streets. Children were playing there: they were moving marbles around, mumbling absurd rules. The marbles spun around, and as soon as one of them said "boom", a marble burst and melted the others nearby. The other kid looked terrible, and seemed to have lost. He had no more marbles in his hand, they were all destroyed.

"It's just child's play, don't pay any attention Rebecca!" said Ralph, amused.

The windows of the shop were slightly dusty and the walls gnawed with age. Some of the bricks were falling apart. As Rebecca entered the shop, she was asphyxiated. The ceiling was covered with cobwebs and mould. The young woman discovered shelves as far as the eye could see, filled with weapons of all types and kinds. The welcome was less warm... There was a pungent smell in the air and countless models on display. Ralph rang the bell on the counter. A pale man with white eyes came in at once. He approached her to analyse her more closely.

"Are we dealing with an Elite Hunter?"

"Yes, Gordon," confirmed Ralph.

"Welcome to my shop, it's very famous," said the stunted old man.

He spoke in a monotone voice. His back was bent and his breath was putrid. He took the weapons out of the display case and put them in front of them.

"Do you know the principle, young lady?"

"No, sir..." admitted Rebecca uncomfortably.

Gordon turned to Ralph to explain the process.

"Oh yes! Rebecca, you're going to take the gun test. Open your book."

Rebecca opened it and discovered magical writing. They were written in her mother tongue. The book adapted to the person holding it in her hands. It gave off the scent of pen ink. The young woman read aloud the inscriptions that appeared before her eyes:

Rebecca Moon
Welcome to the Inverted World, Elite Hunter.
To get to know you better, you'll have to take the weapon test.
This test will tell you your type.
I'll be your guide and your logbook.
Everything you experience, you'll have to write down, and any questions you have, you'll have to ask me.
Good luck in your quest!

The Guide was sensational, she thought. It contained a lot of information that Rebecca was eager to discover. Ralph encouraged her to choose a weapon. The young Goth took a few at random. Gordon took her to the back of the shop to carry out some tests. There was nothing there but a cold, damp floor. He let the two weapons selected by his customer float. Black and purple butterflies suddenly materialised around Gordon. He gestured with his hand to summon something. The butterflies seemed to be drawing something mechanical according to his will. An articulated puppet appeared before the dazzled gaze of the young girl.

"Young Hunter, you have two weapons before you. One a Makarov and the other a Lefaucheux. Each gun contains one round of ammunition. The aim is to shoot the puppet. If the puppet doesn't react, it's because the weapon wasn't meant for you, but if the puppet attacks you, you'll have to earn it."

"Attack me? Ralph!" cried Rebecca anxiously.

"We've all been there!" assured her Mentor, embarrassed.

Rebecca concentrated and aimed at the puppet. For the first time, she was using a weapon. However, the first one didn't work. A new puppet stood in the centre of the small courtyard and remained motionless. Rebecca pulled the trigger, but nothing happened. Gordon analysed it again, muttering "No, it can't be! He left them for a few seconds."

"Gordon is a great gunsmith. For generations and generations, he and his family have run this shop. He's a great specialist, because at first glance he often knows what type of Hunter he's looking at. "

"But why is he so worried?" said Rebecca, not quite reassured.

"I don't know, but something's bothering him," said Ralph suspiciously.

Gordon immediately returned to his client with a chest made of oak. There was a key and a padlock. He opened the box and took out a special weapon. The weapon had survived the centuries, worn by time. Rebecca was drowning in memories. Ralph calmed her for a moment as she rambled on. Gordon offered Rebecca the chance to fire this mysterious weapon. The young adult moved closer to the puppet this time, her hand hesitant. She had a bad feeling about this.  As soon as she pulled the trigger, the puppet changed colour and became as black as darkness. It moved as fast as lightning and hit her full force. Gordon and Ralph jumped out of the way. Rebecca tried to struggle, but the puppet had immeasurable strength. It used the power of its arms to attack her. The young woman collapsed face down on the floor. With her gun on the ground, she quickly grabbed it and fired again. The puppet dodged. The puppet summoned two large swords. They had different functions that her opponent feared. After dodging another attack, Rebecca aimed the weapon at the puppet, who had managed to pierce her throat with his blade. As Ralph looked on, transfixed, she suffocated... Streams of blood escaped from the young student's mouth. The Mentor seemed stunned and powerless. Ralph regained his senses and tried to stop the massacre, but Gordon intervened. The protocol was clear: if the Mentor intervened, he risked imprisonment. The puppet plunged his second sword into Rebecca's stomach, putting her into a coma. Slowly, a vision appeared in her head.

The mummified vampire approached her at the top of a cliff: at the bottom, there were many bodies. On the other side of the void, there were four people with their backs to him. The Docile was pointing at them.

"Rebecca, you have to defend yourself and prove that you're an exceptional Hunter. These four guys aren't going to be kind to you.If you don't fight, you won't be a Hunter or an exceptional vampire, you'll end up like the corpses at the bottom of the abyss.

"I'm dying, I didn't pass the weapon test. Didn't you?"

"That's what you think."

Suddenly, Rebecca woke up.

A dizzying force invaded her whole being. Her body boiled with rage. Her vampire teeth protruded before the terrified eyes of Gordon and Ralph. The young woman propelled the puppet across the room. She then threw herself at the puppet, forcibly pulling out its swords. The puppet pushed her back violently. Rebecca's Hunter instinct was gradually coming to the fore. She regained the upper hand in the fight at the sight of the firearm. Rebecca grabbed it and fired at the puppet, which exploded into a thousand pieces. The weapon began to quiver and change colour.It became almost blood red and sparkling. At the same moment, Rebecca's wounds disappeared as if by magic. Gordon showed no emotion. He went over to her and handed her the box with the corresponding ammunition. Rebecca slowly regained her composure as she watched the destitute shop owner...

"I'm speechless and frightened at the same time. You're holding a Revolver model 1892, more commonly known as the Pink Thorn," explained Gordon, on his guard.

"That means... you're a Hybrid Fighter, a rare type," said Ralph, speechless.

"From the moment you receive your weapon, your Hunter type is automatically recorded in the Kingdom's archive files... I'll take care of the rest. You're going to be hated for what you are, vampire," Gordon added angrily.

Confused, Rebecca agreed to take the gun. She panicked at Gordon's words. Ralph refused to listen to this kind of threat and ordered the gunsmith to keep a low profile. Suddenly, a wizard delivered the newspaper to Gordon. He grinned with satisfaction.

"Christine Moon is going to be locked up for breeding with a vampire!"

"That's not true, Gordon! My mother never did that!" Rebecca shouted, helplessly.

"Then how do you explain, Elite Hunter, that you're a hybrid? Your mother isn't who you think she is," sneered Gordon, mercilessly.

"I don't know, I was born among humans. My father's a human and my mother's a Hunter!"

"You don't smell human, you reek of those treacherous creatures! Your mother is so unpredictable that she could have deceived your father! Just so you know, I'll never come to your aid if you need me!" cursed Gordon, his eyes bloodshot.

Ralph and Rebecca left the shop in a hurry. They made their way to the exit of the citadel to avoid being intercepted by a mop. There were long steps leading up to a green path. At the bottom of these steps, trolls were unloading goods while wizards were collecting them and listing them. Ralph hurried along with his disciple and deposited her in the gigantic cart of a blue-skinned troll: a rare creature in the Hunter's World. The Mentor handed the giant a gold coin so that she could make the journey at his side.

"Rebecca, don't panic, I'm going to join you as soon as possible and try to save your mother. For the time being, you're going to stay in this troll's wagon, and he's going to a small town not far from here. Someone will come to fetch you and you can pay him once again with this second gold coin..."

"What's her name?"

"Ortysse, that's her first name. The neighbouring city is called Vengard, part of the Kingdom of Arahsmurd. Trust me. You don't move during the journey and you keep this with you.He handed her a stone in the shape of an emerald."

"The stone will allow me to track you," Ralph promised meticulously.

"Ralph, please protect my mother," pleaded Rebecca, bursting into tears.

" I promise!"

Ralph left her and made his way up the stairs. Rebecca felt as if she had been abandoned. A few minutes later, the troll drove off. The sun was gradually setting. Butterflies fluttered around the travellers. Rebecca thought she was dreaming, but she had no idea that she was about to live a new life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.2K 600 49
Ever thought surviving first period and facing her best friend's boyfriend - whom she recently kissed - was going to be the hardest part of her day...
3.3K 340 15
Cronan is angry. Angry that after years of waiting, he's mated to the one wolf he never wanted. Fen is stuck. Stuck in a state of purgatory that he d...
11.1K 2K 54
Book 1 Not all love stories have happy endings. "It's me, it's me Stiles...your best friend." Brooklyn's stepbrother Scott returns to live with them...
332 40 36
First Day Of Senior High School. Ilena Renee Alsher copes with the recent demise of her parents. Despite the weight of her grief, she tries her best...