Racing is life

By cfd51caseyseveride

"I was on pole position, and my best friend crashed into me. I couldn't finish the race, and my dad was so an... More

1 ~ the news
2 ~ Ferrari Headquarters
3 ~ fp1
5 ~ bad day
6 ~ school
7 ~ trouble, trouble and more trouble
8 ~ vape
9 ~ waffles
10 ~ he knows
11 ~ helmets
12 ~ karting
13 ~ talks
14 ~ family
15 ~ grandstand
16 ~ DNF
17 ~ bandages
18 ~ alleyway
19 ~ bartender creep
20 ~ grid dinner
21 ~ protecting her
22 ~ surname
23 ~ the kiss
24 ~ dizzy
25 ~ hospital
26 ~ threats
27 ~ water

4 ~ unacceptable behaviour

5.4K 124 19
By cfd51caseyseveride

As I'm sat back on the pit wall, next to Christian Horner, Charles' Ferrari car comes trundling into the pit lane, closely followed by Max's RedBull.

They both get turned into the garages, and Max walks out of his garage first. I can see Charles direct his attention to someone in the garage, before walking over to them.

Max takes his helmet off, and holds it in his hand, before checking there are no cars coming, and jogging across the pit lane.

"Did she behave?" Max asks, as he jumps up onto the pit wall.

"Yeah mate, good as gold. We did have a little blip when some girls started shouting at her, but that's it." Christian says, answering Max's question.

"Yeah because they're horrible to me." I mumble, while looking around, not really paying attention.

"Hey Emilie!" One of the girls, Ella, shouts, sticking her middle finger up to me, and the other girls laugh. Max looks over in their direction. They're on the other side of the fence, separating the pit lane from the grand stand and the racetrack.

"Leave me alone!" I shout at her. Her and all her friends laugh. I stand up off the chair I'm sat on, catching Max's attention.

This group of 4 girls have bullied me for years, and now I've moved to Monaco, I thought I would have gotten away from them, but obviously they can't seem to leave me alone.

Ella is the most horrible to me. She's been the one at the front of everything, and the one who has done everything to me. The others just tag along.

"Ignore them." Max says, placing his hand on my shoulder, trying to guide me to sit back down. I push his hand off my shoulder, and walk towards the gate, so I'm closer to them.

"Emilie." Max says, firmly. I look at him. "Sit down." He adds, pointing to the chair I was previously sat on.

I ignore him and turn my head back, so I'm looking at the girls.

"You're a little slag! You know that?" Ella shouts across the race track, from her place at the front of the Grand Stand.

"You're a bitch!" I shout back at her, earning a few looks from the Mercedes engineers sat in the Mercedes Pit Wall stand, next to the RedBull stand.

"Emilie." Max states in disbelief, silently apologising to anyone who heard me swear.

"How do I get over there?" I ask Max, pointing towards the Grand Stand.

"You don't." He states, looking at me and raising his eyebrows.

"I'll find out myself then." I sigh, before barging past Max, and jumping off the pit wall.

"Emilie!" Max shouts, jumping off the pit wall, after me. After I don't answer, he shouts my name louder. "Emilie!"

I walk down the side of the pit lane, being watched by everyone as I walk past. All the cameras point in our direction.

I stick my middle finger up to one of the cameras as we pass it, and Max walks slightly quicker to catch up with me.

"Emilie." He states loudly and sternly, as he grabs my upper arm. I spin round to face him. "Stop." He adds.

"Max you don't understand! I hate her! She's horrible to me!" I shout at him, pulling my arm out of his grip. "Just please let me talk to her." I say, quieter. He pauses for a moment.

"No." He says bluntly, shaking his head slightly. I look up at him, before turning round and walking away, in the direction I was originally going in.

I'm speaking to Ella whether he likes it or not. I walk into the Ferrari garage, with Max still following me.

"Emilie, I'm not going to tell you again. Stop walking." Max states, walking slowly behind me. His legs are almost twice as long as mine, so he doesn't have to put as much effort into walking; and it's really busy in here, so I'm not moving very fast anyway.

"Oh my god! Fuck off!" I shout at him, turning round to face in his direction. The whole garage goes silent, as everyone looks at me in shock.

"Emilie." Charles' voice rings loudly through the Ferrari garage. I look over at him, and he's stood next to Xavi, in his normal clothes; some baggy jeans and and light grey hoodie.

"Come here." He says, slightly quieter, but still loud enough that everyone can hear. He walks towards the back of the garage, where the exit is. I follow him, having to walk quickly since he's walking fast, and has a longer stride than me. Max follows us too.

"We're going back to the hotel. How you've behaved today is completely unacceptable. You do not swear or shout at anyone, do you understand me?" Charles states, glancing behind him to look at me, while still walking. I jog slightly to catch up to him.

"Mhm." I hum, nodding my head slightly.

We reach the turnstiles, which lead to the car park. Charles walks through them, and so do I. He continues walking until we reach his car. He opens the driver side door, and gets in. I open the passenger door, and get in, slamming the door shut, slightly harder than I would have liked.

I earn a scowl from Charles, as Max bends down slightly to talk to him.

"Call me if you need anything. I'm literally a few doors down." Max says, getting a thank you from Charles, before shutting the car door. Charles rummages around in his pocket, to find the car key, and starts the car.

The short 5 minute drive back to the hotel is silent, an angered silent. Once we arrive, I open the car door, shutting it behind me, and walk into the hotel, closely followed by Charles.

I walk over to the elevator, and press the button to go up. The doors open, and we get in. When we reach our floor, I step out of the elevator, and walk down the corridor towards our room.

Charles scans the key card on the door handle, and the door unlocks. I push it open, and walk in, before lying down on the bed.

"Shoes off the bed." Charles says, tapping my foot slightly, just like he did the night before. I kick my shoes off, and close my eyes.

I'm so stupid. Max probably hates me. My first impressions were awful, and I'm pretty sure Charles is embarrassed by me. I would be embarrassed by me if I was him.

"Put your pyjamas on kid." Charles says softly, throwing my pyjamas in my direction. They land on the bed, next to me. I sit up and a few tears escape my eyes.

Charles hears my poor attempt to stifle my sob, and turns around to look at me. He furrows his eyebrows slightly, looking at me confused.

"What's wrong?" He asks nicely, holding his arms out to the side, inviting me into a hug. I stand up off the bed, and practically throw myself into him, making him stumble back slightly.

"You all hate me." I whisper, through sobs. My tears wet his hoodie, turning it a dark grey colour where my they soak in.

"We don't hate you." Charles says, rubbing my back comfortingly.

"I'm sorry." I say, a stream of tears now flowing out of my eyes. "I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have shouted and swore at you and Max." I say, in between breaths. Whenever I cry, I can never maintain my breathing, I always end up hyperventilating.

"Hey, hey. Slow breaths. Alright? In, out, in, out, in, out." Charles says, pulling away from the hug after feeling and hearing me not breathing properly, on his chest. I follow his exaggerated breathing pattern, and my breathing starts to slow.

"I think you need some sleep. You go to bed, get some rest." He says, pulling the bedsheets out, from being tucked underneath the mattress. I climb into bed, after Charles pulls the covers out, and drift off to sleep.

~•~•~•~•~•

"Let's not have a repeat of yesterday, please." Charles says, as we walk through the turnstiles, into the paddock. We're immediately met with cameras, fans and posters. I stand behind Charles, wanting to get away from the big crowd.

I stay stood right behind him, as he speaks to all his fans and signs their merchandise. He checks every few seconds that I'm still stood there.

After he's finished, we walk into the Ferrari garage through the back entrance.

"You go find Carlos in the garage, I'm going to get changed." Charles says, before walking into his private driver room.

I walk further into the garage, but don't see Carlos anywhere. Charles' engineer, Xavi, gives me a look from across the garage, making it seem like he doesn't want me here.

I make eye contact with him and raise my eyebrows. He keeps his expression the same. Carlos walks into the garage, and I break eye contact with Xavi, turning to look at Carlos.

"Hey Emilie!" Carlos says cheerfully, walking over to me. "Where's Charles?" He asks, looking around.

"He's getting changed." I say, smiling up at him. He nods. "Can I go and find Max?" I ask him.

"Yeah, go on then, I'll tell Charles that's where you've gone. Just try not to get ran over this time." Carlos says, laughing slightly.

"I'll try." I say, while laughing. I walk out of the Ferrari garage, and down the pit lane, into the RedBull garage.

Charles pulls his red fireproof top on, and ties his race boots, before walking out of his driver room, into the Ferrari garage.

Carlos is sat in his chair, watching back the videos from yesterday's practice sessions.

"Hey mate, where's Emilie?" Charles asks him, looking around the garage, and not seeing me anywhere.

"She went to see Max, I told her it was alright." Carlos says, looking up at him, and spinning round in his chair to face him.

"Ok." Charles says, before sitting down on his chair next to Carlos. They talk about the race, and the strategies they are using. Time flies by, and before they know it, it's almost time for free practice three.

I walk down the pit lane, and see Ella and her friends stood outside the McLaren garage. She looks at me, and our eyes lock. I walk over to her.

"What are you doing here?" I ask her loudly, on the verge of shouting. Ella just shrugs her shoulders, and all her friends laugh.

"Just piss off and leave me alone." I state, staring at her.

"Ooh, someone's got a mouth on her." Ella taunts, tapping my cheek slightly, purposefully aggravating me.

"Fuck off!" I shout at her, before grabbing her wrist and slapping her in the face.

"Hey, hey!" A British accent shouts from behind me. Two hands clamp down on my shoulders, before I'm gently guided away.

The person lets go, and I immediately spin back round, to face Ella. She just points and laughs at me.

"Emilie." The man says sternly, before standing in front of me. It's Lando.

"She's a bitch." I say quietly, stepping back, and looking at him.

"Yeah I know. She was slagging off the Mercedes cars. She doesn't know the first thing about formula one." Lando says, agreeing with me.

"But shouting at her and hitting her, isn't the way to go about things, is it?" Lando says, crouching down to be more eye to eye with me. Although, he is now a lot shorter than me.

"That makes me feel like a kid. Can you please stand back up." I say, looking down at him. He nods his head, and stands back up.

"That was hurting my legs anyway." He says, laughing slightly. I laugh at him.

"And I suppose hitting her and shouting at her isn't the best way to deal with it." I add, sighing slightly.

"That's right." Lando says, smiling at me.

Charles stands up off his chair, and sees Max walk into the garage.

"You alright?" Charles asks him, as he walks over. He's carrying a red Ferrari jumper in his hand. It's not all the time, you see a RedBull driver in the Ferrari garage.

"Yeah mate, Emilie left this in the RedBull garage, I came to give it to her." Max says, handing Charles my jumper. He looks at Max confused.

"I thought Emilie was with you." Charles says, furrowing his eyebrows.

"She told me she was coming back to the Ferrari garage." Max says, shrugging his shoulders.

"Well she's not here." Charles replies, panic beginning to engulf him.

"Then where the fuck is she?" Max asks, visibly panicked but trying his best to hide it.

"I'll tell Lando to help look for her." Carlos says, standing up off his chair.

Charles walks past Max, and makes his way towards the exit of the Ferrari garage, leading to the pit lane.

"Charles! You need to get ready for practice!" Xavi shouts at him, as he walks past his race car.

"Practice can wait! I need to find Emilie!" Charles shouts back at him, not looking in his direction.

"Charles!" Xavi shouts louder. He turns to look at him.

"I said I need to-" Charles begins loudly, before being cut off by Xavi.

"If Emilie keeps getting in the way of your job, then she needs to go. You have to focus on your career, Charles." Xavi says sternly. Charles raises his eyebrows at him.

"She's my fucking kid, Xavi! She belongs here!" Charles shouts at him.

"Charles." Max says loudly.

"Charles!" He says louder, after he doesn't answer the first time.

"What?" Charles shouts, looking over at Max. He nods in Charles' direction, and Charles turns around. He sees me stood behind him.

"Those girls are here again." I say quietly, before wrapping my arms around Charles and pulling him into a hug.

Charles looks over at Max, confused.

"What girls?" Charles mouths to him, furrowing his eyebrows.

"From yesterday." Max mouths back, and Charles nods his head. I release him from my hug, and he looks down at me.

"She was shouting at another girl, I thought it would be best to break it up and bring her back here." Lando says from behind me.

"Yeah, thanks mate." Charles says, nodding at him, showing his appreciation. Lando walks away.

"Where did you go?" Charles asks me softly, walking over to the place he keeps all his wires for when he races.

"The RedBull garage." I reply casually, not giving a care in the world.

"Is that my jumper?" I say, as I spot a red Ferrari hoodie laid on the back of Charles' chair. I walk over to it, and pick it up, before putting it on.

I spot Ella and her friends stood outside the Ferrari garage. I stare at her, but she doesn't notice I'm stood here.

Charles looks over at me and narrows his eyes, flicking between me and the group of girls stood outside.

"Sit down." He orders, from across the garage, pointing at the chair I just picked up my hoodie from.

I ignore him, and continue staring at Ella. Her eyes skim past me, before realising I'm stood there. She locks eyes with me, once again.

"Bitch." She mouths to me, from outside the Ferrari garage. I walk around Max, towards Ella.

Max's hand grazes past my shoulder as he tries to grab it, before I reach Ella. He steps forward quickly, and grabs my arm before I can even get close to the exit of the garage.

"Do you need me to get security? Because that's what I will do to make sure you don't leave this garage." Charles says, staring at me.

"No." I say quietly, but quickly.

"Well then don't leave again, or that's what will happen. Am I clear?" He states, putting his earpiece into his ear and sliding his helmet over his head.

"Yeah." I answer, nodding my head slightly. Ella and her friends laugh before being ushered away by some stewards, as Charles is about to leave the garage.

"Good." Charles says, before climbing into his car and getting harnessed in.

"Put these on, you can speak to Charles through the radio." Carlos says, handing me some headphones with a small microphone on it, as Charles' car leaves the garage.

I put the headphones on.

"Radio check." I say into the microphone.

"Loud and clear kid." I hear Charles' happy sounding voice from the other end.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.5K 759 61
When I thought my racing career was over, fate gave me a big chance that brought me many ups and downs, new friends and enemies, new lovers and also...
376K 5.7K 40
Slipping down a dark path can be pretty self-destructive. Especially when you can't come out. "I need you, Charles... I need you now". ---- Disclai...
60.1K 536 46
Y/n is a 22 year old photographer and accountant from England. After her abusive boyfriend cheated on her with one of her best friends, she decided t...
868K 12.6K 65
Olivia moves to Monaco out of nowhere after her life falls apart back home. With a few suitcases in hand, she begins a journey bigger than she could'...