Falling In Manchester

By Sofie_tomlinson28

Harry, nineteen and has just moved away from home to attend the University of Arts, has no idea that much mor... More

Chapter One - Harry
Chapter Two - Louis
Chapter Three - Harry
Chapter Four - Louis
Chapter Five - Harry
Chapter Six - Louis
Chapter Seven - Harry
Chapter Eight - Louis
Chapter Nine - Harry
Chapter Eleven - Harry
Chapter Twelve - Louis
Chapter Thirteen - Harry
Chapter Fourteen - Louis
Chapter Fifteen - Harry
Chapter Sixteen - Louis
Chapter Seventeen - Harry
Chapter Eighteen - Louis
Chapter Nineteen - Harry
Chapter Twenty- Louis
Chapter Twenty-One - Harry
Chapter Twenty-Two - Louis
Chapter Twenty-Three - Harry
Chapter Twenty-Four - Louis
Chapter Twenty-Five - Harry
Chapter Twenty-Six - Louis
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Harry
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Louis
Epilogue - Harry

Chapter Ten - Louis

549 20 22
By Sofie_tomlinson28

Harry♥️: I'm so, so sorry, Lou, but I have to cancel tonight. I've been feel shit up all night and still sick this morning :(( I'm really so, so sorry. Can we reschedule?

Louis looked over the message from Harry with a sad frown on his face. He twisted his bottom lip between his fingers, the wheels inside his mind scurrying around.

They had been supposed to have their date that evening. Louis was currently at work, having a few hours left from his shift. He didn't have any lectures that day.

He tabbed his fingers against the edge of his phone, waiting for a reply to take form in his mind. It didn't. He exhaled, beginning to type.

Louis: That's okay. Just focus on getting better, yeah? :)

The reply was almost instant.

Harry♥️: But that means I won't be able to see you :( And I will be gone all weekend

Louis smiled fondly.

Louis: Are you suggesting you enjoy my company?

Harry♥️: I do. A lot.

Thank God no one was near Louis to hear the small giggle that escaped past his lips.

Louis: Is Niall there to keep you company?

Harry♥️: Nope. He has two lectures and took a double shift as well.

Louis: Sounds rough

Harry♥️: Yup

Louis: But still focus on getting better

Harry♥️: Fiiiiiiine

Louis pocketed his phone, an idea slowly forming in his mind.

* * *

When his shift ended it was two p.m., and he quickly hurried home on his bike. As fast as he could in the wind. He really needed to see if he could buy a motorbike soon. He had the license, now he just needed the other requirement.

Once home he quickly redressed in casual wear. He looked through his fridge, grabbing the pot filled with soup from the day before. It was Liam who had made it. He put some of it in a box, securing the lid. Once that was done, he grabbed a few teabags of his favourite brand. He put it all into a tote bag, swinging it over his shoulder.

* * *

Louis was standing in front of Harry's building, pondering if he should just drop this, go home, and cry. Maybe Harry wouldn't want his company when he was feeling like shit.

Finally, he decided to just press the buzzer, because he was freezing into his bones. It took some time before the reply came, and when it did, even with Harry's sick, scratchy voice, butterflies belted around in Louis' stomach.

"Hello?"

"It's Batman," Louis said, huskily. "And I bring soup."

A small chuckle. "Come up."

The door buzzed, opening for Louis when he pulled the handle.

He walked up the stairs to Harry and Niall's floor. When he reached the door, he knocked, held his breath, waited. He could hear shuffling on the other side, sniffing. A cough. The door opened, and there Harry was.

A blanket was wrapped around his body. His skin was pale, except for his nose which was slightly red. Dark circles had formed under his eyes.

"Louis?" he asked, voice raspy.

Louis hoisted up in his bag. "I thought you would maybe want some company."

"But... I'm sick."

"And?" Louis raised a challenging eyebrow.

"I could smite you."

"I have four sisters, Harold. I'm immune to all diseases."

"If you think like that, you won't live for long."

Louis shrugged. "I'll survive. I missed you."

A smile formed on Harry's lips. "I missed you, too."

"Plus, I brought soup and the best tea in the world."

Harry's eyes lit up. "You're amazing."

Louis' face flared. "I've been told."

Harry grinned slightly. "Come in." He stepped aside, shuffling into the kitchen. His blanket was following behind him like a cape.

Louis took off his shoes and followed him. Harry had propped himself onto the counter, resting his head against the cabinet next to him.

Louis chuckled, placing his bag on the counter. "Want your soup now?"

"If you don't mind," yawned Harry. "I would love that."

Louis set to work with warming the soup in the microwave. Harry observed him from the counter, lips slightly parted.

While the soup got heated, Louis set some water to boil in the kettle. He hummed a Beatles song while he found spoons and a mug, bopping his head along to his inner voice.

"Look at you," yawned Harry. "Doing work in the kitchen."

Louis quirked up an amused eyebrow. "I'm not completely hopeless, love. I know how to use a microwave."

"And how to boil water."

"I'm a man of many talents."

Harry rolled his eyes fondly, sniffing.

"Are you cold?" Louis asked.

"I feel cold and on hot all at once," Harry said.

Louis hummed. "Want more clothes?" He took the soup out of the microwave.

Harry shook his head. "Just wanna watch you. Okay, that sounded creepy."

Louis wriggled his eyebrows. "Perhaps. Reminds me, how has the job been?"

"How does creepiness remind you of my new job?"

"Don't ask questions." Louis put the soup in a bowl, adding a spoon.

"Yes, sir."

"But really," Louis said, "how was it?"

Harry let out a cough, hitting his chest slightly—Louis made sure to pour the water up in the mug, adding the tea bag. "It was really fun. Mary, the owner, is a really kind lady. Again, thank you for thinking of me when you saw the poster."

Louis shrugged. "When am I not thinking of you?"

Harry gasped, which led to a coughing fit, but when it was over he rasped, "Are you flirting with me, Tomlinson?"

Louis grinned, winking. "I'm afraid I might just be. And now you need to return to the couch or bed, wherever your habitat is, then I'll bring you soup. And tea."

"Bed," Harry said, scrunching his nose. "Definitely bed." He got down from the counter, holding the blanket close around his body as he patted toward his bedroom.

Louis smiled fondly at him, finding a tray in one of the drawers. He placed the soup and mug on the tray and then went to see if he could find snacks somewhere. He managed to find a package of cookies. He snatched one, putting that on the tray as well.

In another drawer he found a ballpoint pen, a piece of paper, and started the process of drawing a small bunny, the words Get Better above it. Louis hummed once he finished his museum-worthy piece of art, grabbed the tray, and set course of Harry's bedroom.

Harry had finished decorating his room. There were records hanging on the walls, a bookshelf filled to the brim, a dresser. A desk was in the corner, Harry's laptop on top of it. A poster of David Bowie was hanging above the dresser, and tons of different plants were standing around the room. And in his bed, laid Harry. He looked unbelievably small, only his head showing beneath the big duvet draped over him.

"Hi," Louis said softly. He walked to the bed, placing the tray next to Harry.

"Mhm," mumbled Harry. His eyes were half closed.

"Ey, sleepyhead," Louis chuckled. "Eat your food, then you can sleep."

Harry slowly sat up in bed, resting his back against the wall. Louis moved the tray to his lap, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"Thank you, Lou," Harry said, letting his eyes trail over the food. He grabbed the tea mug, bringing it to his lips. He took a sip, exhaling.

"No problem," Louis said.

"Wait, what's that?" Harry picked up the small drawing, a soft smile taking place on his face.

Louis could feel his face heat up slightly. "My mom always used to make those when we were sick. 'Animals of encouragement' she used to call them. I'm pretty sure she still makes them for the ones who live at home."

"That's so sweet," Harry said, sniffing. "God, I look like a mess, don't I?"

Louis chuckled. "Well, maybe a little."

Harry groaned, hiding his face in his hands. "Why be sick today, of all fucking days?"

"Shit happens," Louis said. "Does this mean I can ask what you were planning for our date?"

Harry took a spoonful of the soup into his mouth. "Damn, this is good."

"I'll tell Liam you said so."

"I knew it wasn't you who made it."

"Ey, answer my question."

Harry giggled, coughing. "Alright, alright. I was just gonna... there is a cinema that has been playing all the Harry Potter movies. They were gonna show the third one today, which is my favourite one... so... I wanted to take you there."

Butterflies basked around Louis' heart, making it beat faster. "That's so... so fucking sweet."

Harry shrugged. "Well... it was supposed to be."

"We can still see the movie if you'd like," Louis said. "Make our own home cinema, ey?"

Harry quirked an eyebrow. "How so?"

"I'll go to the supermarket and get some snacks," Louis said. "You eat, drink, and rest. When I return, we will watch it on the television. Also, should I bring you some cough medicine now that I am at it?"

A fond smile took over Harry's face. "You don't have to."

"I want to."

"Does this count as date two, then?"

"I wouldn't mind that," Louis admitted.

Harry wet his lips. "Alright, but no kissing! I'm not gonna make you sick."

Louis sighed dramatically. "How will I survive?"

"No clue."

"Me neither. Does that mean I should risk it?"

"No."

Louis shook his head amusedly, getting up from bed. "Whatever, Styles. I'll be quick. You eat that soup."

"I will," Harry said, taking another spoonful into his mouth. "Delicious."

"I'll be quick." Louis didn't move.

"Requires for you to move your legs."

"Getting sassy, are we?"

Harry shrugged, grinning. "Yes."

"Fine, I'll leave, but I will be back soon, okay?"

"Okay, Lou. Oh! Take the keys to the kitchen counter. Let yourself in."

Louis smiled softly. "I will."

Louis left the apartment in a hurry, jumping on his bike. It wasn't a long distance to the supermarket, but the quicker he could get there, the better. It was windy, soft, drizzling rain patting his cheeks.

When at the supermarket, he parked his bike and went inside. It was the one Harry claimed always sold cheap stuff. Louis pulled his phone out of his pocket as he entered the store, searching for Good candy to eat when sick. He quickly read over the results the search engine had given him.

Peppermint, ginger candy, honey and hard candy, salty candy...

Louis set his course to find popcorn and mint chocolate. He found it rather quickly, and then looked over the other options. There were some honey candies which he grabbed, and then some gummies. Gummies solved all problems.

When he was about to pay, he remembered the cough medicine. He asked the cashier if she could fetch him it from the shelf behind her.

When he left the store after having paid, he hurriedly jumped onto his bike and drove back to Harry's apartment.

Harry was where Louis had left him, still in bed. The cookie, soup, and tea were gone, leaving a few crumbs on Harry's bedsheets. Harry himself was asleep, his chest rising and falling steadily. He was snoring slightly.

Had it been anyone else, Louis would have been annoyed, but Harry was sick, and he was, well, Harry.

Louis went to the kitchen, beginning to set up the snacks he had bought. He prepared more tea and got the movie ready on the television. He then went back to Harry's room.

He crouched down beside Harry, speaking softly, "Wake up, love."

Harry stirred in his sleep, eyelids fluttering but not quite opening.

Louis tried once more, gently touching Harry's hand. "Haz, wake up. It's Lou. Date time."

Harry's eyes opened, his gaze landing on Louis. "Hi," he croaked. "I bet I look really charming right now, don't I?"

The corner of Louis' lips quirked up. "Yeah, you do. You also look really cute, though, so don't worry."

Harry blushed. "Thank you, but I'm afraid I'm in a very big need of a roll of toilet paper."

"Let me go fetch it for you," Louis said. "Can you move to the living room?"

Harry nodded. "Yeah, I can... I can do that. Yes." He sat up fully, putting the tray aside.

"Let me take that," Louis said, taking the tray.

He quickly moved into the kitchen, putting the tray on the counter. He then moved to the bathroom. He took the roll of paper and was just about to leave, but then his eyes landed on the nail polishes that stood along the sink. He wet his lips, a small grin forming on his face.

He grabbed two of them—blue and red—and hurried into the kitchen once again. He grabbed the cough medicine, and finally, he went into the living room.

Harry was already on the couch, draped in a blanket. He was munching on popcorn and looked up as Louis approached. "Hi."

"Hey." Louis handed him the medicine and toilet roll. The polish was hidden away in his pocket.

"Thanks," Harry said. He scrunched up his nose. "This might be a weird request, but can you go in another room while I blow my nose? It's just, like, really disgusting, and loud—"

"Of course I can," chuckled Louis. "No worries, love. I'm gonna go pee before the movie begins, yeah?"

After, Louis settled on the couch next to Harry. There was plenty of space, but he wanted to be close to the other boy. "So," he said, "I was thinking if I... if I could paint your nails while we watch the movie."

Harry looked confusedly at him. "What?"

Louis reached into his pockets. He pulled out the polishes. "I always have fun when I do it with my sisters, and I know I personally love some self-love when I feel sick."

"I..." Harry opened his mouth. Closed it. Opened it. "I... I would really like that."

"Yeah?" Louis grinned.

"Yeah," Harry spoke softly.

"Alright, so," Louis excitedly said, "blue or red?"

"Why not both?"

"I was hoping you'd say that."

Once Louis had started the movie, Harry placed his hand on Louis' lap. He observed as Louis delicately brushed the small pencil over his nails, every now and then drifting his gaze up to the screen. Harry Potter was currently getting scared to life by his godfather in the form of a dog.

"Do you often paint your nails?" Louis softly asked, switching hands. The feeling of Harry's hand on his lap was igniting his whole body on fire, but he chose to ignore it.

Which wasn't going very well.

"Well, sometimes," Harry said. "I have always enjoyed it, but I have never really felt confident in it." He looked down. "It was one of the things that started the bullying."

Louis wet his lips, blowing on the wet polish. "I think you look beautiful like this."

Harry's face flushed. "Thank you. That... means a lot."

Louis grinned, finishing up the last nail. "And... you're good to go. Perfect."

"I think I would rather stay," Harry said, yawning.

"You tired?" Louis asked.

Harry nodded, and he shuffled closer to Louis. "Do you mind if I accidentally fall asleep while the movie is playing?"

Louis smiled softly. "No, not at all."

"Do you mind if I fall asleep on you?"

"No, not one bit."

* * *

Once the movie ended, Harry had his head in Louis' lap, sleeping softly. Louis carded his fingers through Harry's hair, grinning when Harry fucking purred in his sleep. And Louis found himself leaning down to kiss the crown of Harry's head.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.1K 970 36
Louis Tomlinson was your typical grade-A uni student. He hides behind his books behind the counter of the local coffee shop. With his life-long best...
103K 4.5K 61
Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson attend the same university. Ordinarily, this wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that they hate eachother, an...
367K 9K 17
Harry has only had his room for thirty-two minutes when it stops being his. Uni AU. Harry had turned up at the halls of residence expecting fun, new...
2.4K 467 116
16 year old Harry Styles moved across the street from 18 year old Louis Tomlinson. After 14 years the boys finally get to see each other again.