DISTORTED DESIRE | JIKOOK (DI...

By miniekins

DISCONTINUED Jimin has always lived a mundane life. From high school up until his current career in business... More

1. THE ACCIDENT
3. SCARLET SUIT
4. BLOOD SPLATTERED LAPELS
5. A RESPONSABILITY
6. NERVE ENDINGS

2. THE HANDSOME STRANGER

552 71 27
By miniekins

Jimin emails the final copy of the advertising project to his department manager, sighing heavily as soon as he sees that it's been successfully submitted. His eyes wander the office and he feels immediate relief in knowing that he finished his work early and that for once, he isn't the last person to leave.

In spite of the chilly weather the day prior, tonight seems oddly nice. There isn't a single snowflake in sight and the weather looks promising. He packs his things into his bag, closing things down for the night before pushing his chair in.

Content. Jimin smiles to himself softly as he approaches the door to the office. His fingers curl around the handle with an eagerness to pull until a hand is felt on top of his own. He looks to his right at the familiar sight of a grumpy department manager. He pulls his hand out from beneath his, smile fading within a second.

"Sajangmin?" Jimin utters, holding the strap of his bag with both hands.

"Where are you going?" he asks, taking a glance at the expensive watch around his wrist.

"I finished all of my projects. I was hoping to head out a little bit early since I've been staying so late, recently," Jimin replies doubtfully.

He shakes his head and Jimin feels like a child being scolded. "That's not how it works. I'd like to have a word with you in my office. Follow me," he demands.

Jimin exhales quietly, trailing behind him. Despite his respectable level of confidence, every time he's having a conversation with his boss, he immediately feels inadequate. Not only in relation to his work, but simply as a person. He hasn't noticed this treatment with any of his other coworkers and it makes him wonder why he could be any different.

"Take a seat," he says as soon as they make it into his office.

Doing so stiffly, Jimin takes a seat on the small sofa in front of the man's desk. He watches with hooded eyes as he leans against the front of it, crossing his arms. If he was handsome, maybe the constant belittling would somehow be more tolerable. But he's an old, miserable man that finds joy in straining his employees.

"How have you been feeling lately?" he questions.

Jimin blinks at him, dumbfounded by such an odd question. He doesn't recall a time he's ever been asked, especially by his boss.

"Okay, I guess. I'm still a little sore, but it's nothing I can't handle," he replies, feeling his phone buzz from the inside of his pocket. He ignores it for now.

"That's good. Great, even," he adds. "I have a favour to ask of you. I believe that among your peers, you're the only one capable enough to reach my expectations."

Jimin has difficulty processing the man's words. Or maybe it's that he refuses to believe that he has yet another task to pawn off on him, only after just busting his ass - quite literally - to complete one.

"What is it?" he asks.

"It's something quite different than what we're used to and what we've done presently at the company," he answers while approaching the sofa, taking a seat next to Jimin.

Jimin scoots a little to the left, hoping that his boss won't notice. He flashes a weak smile, nodding his head in response, pushing him to continue.

"The company has done substantially well on it's own. But an opportunity has developed recently and we've been offered the opportunity to collaborate with another business that has extended it's organization outside of the country," he explains, eagerly awaiting a response.

The offer sounds tempting. Collaborating with a company that has a larger band of consumers could be incredibly advantageous to not only the business he's currently working for, but also himself. He glances as his boss who watches him fixedly.

"What kind of collaboration?" Jimin asks, feeling his phone buzz against his thigh once again.

"It's rather simple," he begins, thin and dry lips edging into a pleased grin. "As opposed to finding a professional model, I've suggested you take the role instead."

Jimin's lips part in confusion. "Me? Why me?"

His boss inches a little bit closer, placing his hand on Jimin's knee. "Because I believe that you have what it takes to capture the eyes of both women and men alike. You're charming and you're hard working."

The warmth of the man's hand feels like a scorching hot pan. Jimin freezes, glancing at the hand briefly before returning his gaze to modest eyes. "What will I be modeling?" he forces through a strained breath.

"The newest line of winter attire." He takes his hand away, moving away from the sofa, retrieving a manila file. "Jeans, jackets, tops. They're all unisex." He hands Jimin a few different sheets of paper.

Jimin looks through them, admiring the neutral tones and different styles. "It seems like a great idea," he replies. "When and how long would the shoot take?"

The man smiles. "I'm glad you're so compliant. About a week from now and roughly three days in total. Things could change given the circumstances, however that's the timeline that I've been given."

Jimin passes the man the images. "I'll do it."

__

"Seriously? You're doing him another favour?"

"It doesn't seem like a bad idea, Tae," Jimin mumbles across the dinner table. "I just have to pose. Shouldn't be too hard, right?"

"Yeah, and how much weight does he want you to lose before the shoot? What kind of diet does he want you on?" Taehyung jabs before placing a piece of sashimi on his tongue.

Jimin shrugs. "He didn't say I needed to lose any weight or suggest any kind of diet. He said that I would be perfect for the role. That I'm charming and hard working," he claims, poking at his maki rolls.

Taehyung's chopsticks stop mid-air and his eyes widen vaguely. "He said what? Okay, kind of creepy if you ask me. I don't think your boss should be saying that to you. Especially since he doesn't have the greatest track record."

"At least he didn't criticize me. I'd rather be touched on the knee and praised than be deprecated when I'm barely holding on as it is." Jimin places his chopsticks down, frowning.

"He touched your knee? Jimin, I know you need the money but he can't do that. You've endured far more than anyone should. I'm begging you, please think about leaving. You'll find another job in no time with the experience you have. Somewhere far better with a respectable boss. You can't live the rest of your life working at a place that makes you miserable," Taehyung implores.

Jimin sighs. "I didn't think that hanging out with you was going to turn into a therapy session," he groans.

Taehyung tuts. "It isn't a therapy session. I'm just trying to tell you that you deserve better. You were in a car crash and ended up going to work a lot sooner than you should have. He didn't care about you. All he cared about was a project that someone else could have easily taken over. Just remember your worth, is all I'm saying," he murmurs dejectedly.

Jimin hums. "I appreciate it, Tae. I'm trying my best, but I'm waiting for the stars to align and it's just taking longer than I'd like. I promise you one day I'll find a better company to work for. But right now, this is all I have and I need to get through it. Who knows, maybe the collaboration will open up some new doors."

Suddenly, Taehyung beams with excitement, bouncing in his booth. "What if you get scouted and become a model? Or an actor? That would be amazing."

Jimin chuckles. "Acting requires a talent that I don't have. And I don't know if I can see myself modeling. I'm kind of awkward in front of a camera, remember?"

"That was one time! Don't let that stop you from potential opportunities!" Taehyung exclaims enthusiastically.

"I stood so stiffly I got accused of having hemorrhoids," Jimin deadpans.

"Everyone gets hemorrhoids!" Taehyung shouts, drawing the attention of some of the customers in the restaurant.

Jimin slaps the table. "Please, keep your voice down. Now everyone here thinks I have hemorrhoids."

Taehyung chuckles. "There's nothing wrong with hemorrhoids."

"Can we please stop saying hemorrhoids," Jimin pleads, just about on the verge of leaving.

"Okay, okay. My point is that it was a one time thing! Who knows, maybe you've gotten better since then and have no idea because you haven't tried it," Taehyung suggests.

"Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. Can we move on?" Jimin leans forward, stuffing a piece of sashimi into Taehyung's mouth.

The man starts to make muffled noises, but Jimin ignores him, eating his own food.

By the time they're finished their meals, it's just about completely dark outside. They finish paying and head outside of the restaurant. Jimin snuggles into the warmth of his jacket, thinking about the new project he has coming up. Despite his and Taehyung's conversation, he can't help but feel a little bit of excitement and wonder if he'd be any better behind the camera than how he used to be.

"Message me when you get home, okay? And seriously think about what I said tonight. Not the hemorrhoids part," Taehyung says while he begins to walk away.

Jimin shakes his head, chuckling softly. "I will, get home safe, Tae," he bids farewell, watching his best friend until he's out of sight.

He wanders to his rental car, hands stuffed snuggly within his pockets. He climbs inside, making sure that the heat is circulating before he takes off.

It's been awhile since Jimin's been able to think clearly. His mind tends to wander more actively when he's driving. Taehyung's words begin to sink in, and he begins to wonder if it's really worth holding onto the current job he has. He worked his ass off to get it, but now his passion for it is starting to dwindle and each day begins to feel like a long sequence of existing rather than living.

When Jimin hears the car behind him honk their horn, he jumps in his seat and his fingers tighten around the wheel. He decides to pull into the gas station parking lot close by. He's been a lot more cautious on the road ever since his accident - a lot more cautious than most of the people on the street would probably prefer.

After parking, he takes a moment to soak up the silence. Even outside of work, it feels like his brain is constantly on autopilot with the gears on unremitting rotation. His dinner with Taehyung was supposed to be a break from all of the insanity. Yet somehow, he only feels more undecided about his options. His best friend makes it seem like there's only one. Quit. But he feels like it's a lot more complicated than that.

Jimin sighs, getting out of the car. He decides that he deserves a small treat and so he heads into the gas station, browsing the chocolate bar options. He settles on a Ghana milk chocolate bar and wanders around a little bit longer, noticing a strange man looming.

He has never been the one to be super prudent, but lately, that's all he's been. Jimin places the chocolate bar on a random shelf, reaching for his phone to call Taehyung. He doesn't answer and he assumes that his friend is still driving or already in bed.

After noticing that the stranger is out of sight, Jimin takes this opportunity to leave the gas station. He heads toward his car and while he does, he catches a glimpse of somebody exiting through the doors. He hurries to his car, fingers on the handle, but just when he's about to open it, his shoulder is captured by an uninvited hand.

Jimin whips around, staring at him, heart thumping in his chest. "What do you want? Why are you following me?" he asks.

"You're beautiful," he replies, a loose bag of goodies hanging from his hand.

Jimin looks around, wishing that somebody was closer than the cashier inside of the gas station.

"I'm sorry, but I'm not interested," he replies. "Now if you'll excuse me—"

He closes the car door the second Jimin has it cracked, caging him in with one arm. "Why are you playing hard to get?" he drawls.

It's just then that Jimin can sense the bitter smell of alcohol on his breath. "Please, I have to get home. You're drunk. Go home and get some rest," he begs.

He then grabs Jimin's arm. Jimin jolts, trying to flail the man's hand off of him. His phone falls out of his cold fingers in the process, tumbling onto the wet concrete. He tries to twist out of his grip, struck in the face by an elbow. He feels dizzy, but still well enough to stand on his feet and try to resist.

But when the tiredness begins to gain on him, another man appears in his peripheral. He approaches them, grabbing the sleaze by the collar of his shirt, pinning him against the car. Jimin backs away, stumbling to the ground, breathing heavily.

"Who the hell are you?" he asks slowly through the inebriation.

"You'd be fucking unlucky to find out," the other man mutters grimly.

Jimin watches him, staring at the clear sign of unadulterated anger rooted into the side of his face. It's hard to tell exactly what he looks like because of the dark but even so, his anger is unmistakable. He has absolutely no idea where he came from, but he's grateful.

He tosses the man to the ground and Jimin flinches in response. It's well deserved, yet the outright, patent lack of remorse is slightly jarring. He turns to Jimin and he can feel some kind of sensation when their eyes meet - a sensation he isn't unfamiliar with.

"You have a clear talent for finding trouble. Just how badly do you want to get hurt?" he questions, folding his arms.

Jimin doesn't really process the question. He's still reeling from the way he threw that man - now limping away - to the ground so easily.

"Where did you come from?" he asks.

"That doesn't matter. Are you alright?" the man questions, sounding strangely annoyed by the sudden altercation.

Jimin nods his head hesitantly. Oddly, he feels safe in the man's presence and yet he doesn't feel cared for. The more his eyes adjust in the darkness, he manages to catch a glimpse of his features. His hair is slightly overgrown and dark brown, as far as he can tell. Definitely handsome.

"Drive home and don't make anymore stops," he demands.

Jimin, still on the ground and leaning against his arms, nods his head. Watching the man walk away, he vanishes behind the car. When he gets onto his feet, he looks around, perplexed.

He's gone. Just like that.

(A/N): i hope you guys are okay with a bit of a slower introduction to jk's character. it's going to be a slight slow burn/enemies to lovers but i promise it'll be worth it! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

106K 8.4K 79
"It's you...the man from my dreams. You're real," Plagued with nightmares of drowning in lakes and being pushed from cliffs by mysterious men, Jimin...
222K 16.8K 37
Book 4 of Jikook Vampire AU: Lifeless Jimin begins to feel urges that turn him into a different man as some of them lead to hurting his own family. U...
35K 998 52
VAMPIRExMAFIA WILL THIS STORY END HAPPILY WHEN JIMIN GETS BIT... I had a happy life, I was Feeling Just Fine then it went wrong.... My life was build...
16.9K 729 25
Hwang Jangmi is just an average girl living a normal lifestyle. She was on her way home back from school when she was suddenly attacked. Before she c...