Healed By Honey

By PBVeda

"Your scars, my shadows" She used to believe she was fearless. Fear, however, is necessary; especially when y... More

Chapter 1 - The Protest
Chapter 2 - Progression
Chapter 3 - Eye to Eye
Cast
Chapter 4 - Good & Bad
Chapter 5 - A Piece Unhidden
Chapter 6 - Trouble
Chapter 7 - Friends and Tears
Chapter 8 - What it takes
Chapter 9 - A Risky Stupidity
Chapter 10 - Scheming Fate
Chapter 11 - Just the Beginning
Chapter 12 - Consequences
Chapter 13 - Promises
Chapter 14 - Play it Unfair
Announcement
Chapter 16 - Fire and Tears (1)
Chapter 17 - Fire and Tears (2)
Chapter 18 - What is right? What is wrong?
Chapter 19 - Exposed or Hidden
Chapter 20 - Life Doesn't Wait
Chapter 21 - Hidden Agenda
Chapter 22 - The Darkness
Chapter 23 - Stalker

Chapter 15 - Another Day, Another Fight

45 7 0
By PBVeda

Author's note: Truthfully, Life's been a mess! But then, since when it was smooth as butter? Additionally, I'm stuck! I don't seemed to feel that 'thing' which helps me to write. I can't express in words what that 'thing' even is! And my creativity seemed to have frozen just like my life. It's disgusting. Okay let's try it little by little. One day, I'll stop writing. But that'd be after I complete the projects I've taken on. 10+. How do authors write and release 3-4 books in a year? I cannot even write one book per year. -_- Anyway, let's start.

It's a small chapter, but I'm trying in all my efforts to be back on track of writing regularly from now on! I promise, I'll do better from now on.

~~~

Gasps and murmurs rippled through the crowd as Ritu and Jai locked eyes in a moment of disbelief. Her temper flared like a sudden tempest. She pushed herself away from Jai with all the grace of a wounded panther. "You!" Ritu exclaimed. "What on earth are you doing here?" Her high-pitched voice drew the attention of everyone in the vicinity.

Irfan noticed that and promptly lunged forward, grabbed a hold of Ritu's hand and pulled her back.

As an immediate reaction, a scowl formed on her face. She shifted her furious gaze on Irfan and noticed him eyeing the crowd. Ritu snatched her hand away from his grasp and snapped in an undertone, "I'm perfectly capable of handling this matter. Stay out of it."

Irfan's brows furrowed but he refrained himself from talking back. Although he remained vigilant, it was difficult to tell so because of his professionally taut demeanor and black sunglasses.

Ritu turned around and threw her seething gaze on Jai. Her temper already on edge, erupted like a volcano. "I should've known better. You're actively searching for ways to meddle with us. Aren't you? Always lurking around like a vulture. Looking for scopes to bring defamation and tribulations unto my family. Isn't it?"

However, Jai, surprisingly unfazed by Ritu's outburst, remained calm and composed. "It'd be wise of you if you do not exaggerate the matter. This is just an accident."

"Accident? Yeah, right. Convenient excuse," Ritu retorted. "What are you doing here by the way? Following me?"

Jai maintained their eye contact for a few seconds, his face showed no signs of annoyance, before averting his eyes and briefly acknowledging Irfan. "We're in a marketplace. People come here to buy fruits and vegetables. Any five years old can tell that much." He shifted his eyes back on Ritu before adding, "I'm here for that very reason. I had no prior knowledge of your presence here. If I had, I would have taken every precaution to avoid this encounter."

Ritu's brows furrowed in a severe frown. Her anger flared at his words. "You!"

Irfan, who had been watching the exchange with wary eyes, stepped closer toward Ritu, ready to intervene if things escalated further.

"You have some nerve talking to me like that! What do you think of yourself?" Ritu hissed.

Though she was well aware of the growing crowd around them, she was not ready to back down without giving Jai a piece of her mind. A voice in the back of her mind kept reminding her that the man in front of her was the main reason her family was obliged to appear in the criminal court. The shame he had brought upon her family was substantial, and she couldn't tolerate that silently. She was her father's daughter, and he taught her not to tolerate anything that was unjust. Although he asked her to act responsibly, she was having a hard time to accept the fact that the person responsible for her family's tribulations would roam freely while she'd have to endure the pain silently. As the thought crossed her mind, her hands turned into rigid balls and started shaking.

Jai, however, was unusually calm.

The recent memory flashed through Ritu's mind. They had been in a similar situation before, and the consequences weren't pleasant. But at that moment, she couldn't stop herself. Because of this man, her reputation was tarnished publicly by the media. How could she ever forget that? Because of this man, her father regarded her with disappointment. How could she ever...

Helpless anger bubbled within her while tears blurred her vision. She blurted unable to keep her promise to her father, "You and your accusations against dadabhai will rot in hell! I hate you! I hate that you inhabit this world. Because of you, my public image has been ruined! Because of you papa regarded me with disappointment. For the first time in my life, I felt so small and unworthy of bearing my family's name!"

Jai blinked and lowered his gaze for a quick second before his eyes shifted up and did a quick survey of their surroundings. The crowd gradually increasing in size, getting more and more curious about their encounter. He glanced at Irfan briefly before focusing his undivided attention on Ritu. "I understand that you're upset about the case, but that doesn't mean I'm your enemy outside the courtroom. I only want to learn the truth."

Ritu's eyes flashed with anger. She wiped her hazy vision with the back of her hand and spat, "You've ruined our lives. How could you even think that a person like my brother would be involved in such a heinous act? He's the most responsible man I've seen in my life! I'll never forgive you for ruining his name!" Her voice grew louder toward the end as a drop of tear rolled down her cheek.

Jai took a step forward but immediately got interrupted by Irfan who had a hand outstretched before Ritu. Before Jai could respond, he noticed Shreya approaching their side. She looked surprised and concerned to see the crowd. Her eyes widened in alarm when they finally landed upon Jai.

Shreya made her way through the crowd toward Ritu and asked, "What's going on here?"

Ritu's face flushed with resentment. "I don't want to talk about this. Let's go from here."

Shreya narrowed her eyes and studied Ritu closely. Ritu was certain her eyes flaunted the signs of her angry tears. She hated to admit that she couldn't hold her tears when she was angry and helpless. Because fighting back angry tears was so fucking hard. All her anger channeled through her eyes and rolled down her cheeks at the time of extreme helplessness.

Her heart pounded in her chest as Shreya's judging eyes ran back and forth between her and Jai. Ritu was apprehensive of Shreya's perception of the situation. Although Shreya was the only one who knew about her relation with Pihu but she wasn't really approving of that situation. And now that, she had caught her into this absurd predicament, Ritu didn't know how Shreya would react. She might as well suspect a hidden affair and bring her more headache with her concerning and pointless interrogation. And right now, Ritu was too tired to face them.

She gazed at Jai with abhorrence while he sighed and gracefully bent down and picked up the scattered strawberries. The murmuring was still intact while someone called from the crowd, "Jai da, is everything alright?"

Everyone's attention shifted to the newcomer. Ritu also glanced at the person with her brows scrunched together. He looked familiar, but she couldn't remember where had she seen him.

The person was definitely younger than Jai, in his early twenties. He wore a yellow polo shirt with a pair of worn-out jeans. His face exuded a childlike aura, but he had a well-built tanned body.

"It's nothing Sagar. Everything's fine. Please clear the crowd for me. Can you?" Jai answered calmly.

Sagar's eyes roamed around the crowd before finally landing on Ritu. Their eyes met and it clicked suddenly. She had seen him at Jai's cake shop. He was the receptionist.

"Sure." Sagar drawled without any question further.

Sagar forced the crowd to leave the spot and was shortly joined by Irfan. Eventually, the gathering thinned out leaving Ritu, Shreya and Jai facing each other in a knotty silence. Ritu was too angry and upset to talk and the other two were too cautious to speak to each other.

Shreya turned toward Ritu and asked, "You'll explain this to your dadabhai. Now let's go." She reached for Ritu's hand and dragged her along. She quietly followed Shreya out of the market, to where their car was parked. Irfan wasted no time in tailing them.

They almost reached their car when Jai's voice made them halt and turn back.

"Mrs. Roy!" He was referring to Shreya. Ritu's eyebrows furrowed in suspicion. What did he want now? This man could be sneaky.

But she wanted to spend time with him.

What? Ritu flinched and faltered in her thoughts.

No, she didn't! What the fuck was she even thinking? From where on earth did that poisonousthought come along? She must be going nuts!

As a result, an instant frown formed on her face while Jai crossed the distance and paused in front of them. His eyes shifted from Shreya to Ritu and lingered there for longer than necessary. Ritu's eyes dropped on his hand which was holding a fresh box of strawberries.

Ritu scowled and looked away while Jai extended his hand and said in his polite voice, "It was indeed an accidental encounter. But I don't want you to leave without these for which you came here in the first place." Ritu's frown deepened. Could he stop his pretentious act for one single moment? Jai continued, "Please take this."

"And why should we take that favor from you?" Shreya sharply countered.

However, Jai's response was immediate. "I'm not your enemy, Mrs. Roy. I don't want to be. But don't you think I deserve to know who my grandpa's killer is?"

Shreya's brows furrowed while Ritu chipped in angrily, "Didn't we have enough drama already, Shreya? Let's go!"

But the next unexpected event surprised her more than it did when she found out about the case the first time. Shreya and Jai exchanged a prolonged look before she blurted, "Alright" And took the box full of juicy red strawberries from Jai's hand.

Ritu squealed, "Why would you take that?"

Shreya didn't answer but Jai glanced at Ritu with an unreadable expression. Then he lowered his gaze, turned around and walked away.

A mixture of confusion and frustration coursed through her while Ritu watched him go, throwing daggers at his back with her eyes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.5K 974 24
Riya wakes up naked on a bed. Her head aches from the hangover. As she calms herself she remembers glimpses of last night... She had sex for the fir...
33.8K 1.1K 28
"Arranged?." I asked. "Yes. " She replied. There comes a time in your life when you feel utterly guilty of leading a life you never wanted. But the...
303K 17K 65
Dear Readers, I am so grateful to see all your love, reading all the comments and seeing you all vote. It makes me really happy. 🫂🫂😊✨ You deserve...
139K 5.6K 26
"I love you Abhi" I said smiling shyly at him . "Whatt?" He asked looking at me With emotionalless face making me scared with his answer. "I-i said...