Charred //ZUTARA

By xxitsxxweronikaxx

Fire is world ending. When a healer from his past comes to the Fire Nation at last, everything goes up in fla... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - ''You may go.''
Chapter 2 - ''You are so much stronger than you think.''
Chapter 3 - ''I've missed you.''
Chapter 4 - ''I hope it's to your liking.''
Chapter 5 - ''An absolute shitshow, isn't it?''
Chapter 6 - ''It seems you're easily distracted today.''
Chapter 7 - ''She's a Master Healer.''
Chapter 8 - ''You must be lonely.''
Chapter 9 - ''Do you love him?''
Chapter 10 - ''I'm sure it means nothing.''
Chapter 11 - ''Do you always let other people speak for you?''
Chapter 12 - ''Stay away from her.''
Chapter 13 - ''I love you through everything.''
Chapter 14 - ''May I...may I kiss you?''
Chapter 15 - ''I'll teach you.''
Chapter 16 - ''Get your hand off her.''
Chapter 18 - ''But even back then, I was not afraid of you.''
Chapter 19 - ''Tell me who did that to her.''
Chapter 20 - ''Love is brightest in the dark.''
Chapter 21 - ''You distracted me.''
Chapter 22 - ''Such a colorful language, Fire Lord.'' 18+
Chapter 23 - ''Will this guilt ever go away?''
Chapter 24 - ''Let's just say I'm a sucker for romance.''
Chapter 25 - ''I could never do this to you.''
Chapter 26 - ''Can I touch you?''
Chapter 27 - ''In your heart, you know it's not right.''
Chapter 28 - ''What about Mai?''
Chapter 29 - ''We all got our secrets, right?''
Chapter 30 - ''Why are you so angry with me?''
Chapter 31 - ''She's all yours.''
Chapter 32 - ''You blushed for him.'' 18+
Chapter 33 - ''I didn't mean to be rough with you.''
Chapter 34 - ''I can't believe you're finally mine.'' 18+
Chapter 35 - ''I'm with the Avatar.''
Chapter 36 - ''I won't let that happen.''
Chapter 37 - ''I want you wherever I am.''
Chapter 38 - ''You don't have a plan.''
Chapter 39 - ''He is Ozai's son.''
Chapter 40 - ''I think you came back for me.''
Chapter 41 - ''What is she doing here?''
Chapter 42 - ''I can take his rage.''
Chapter 43 - ''He is everything.''
Chapter 44 - ''But she was not you.''
Chapter 45 - ''We let him be happy.''
Chapter 46 - ''You're very much human.''
Chapter 47 - ''The biggest idiot I've ever met.'' 18+
Chapter 48 - ''When the Sun rises and when it settles.''
Chapter 49 - ''You do love to be dramatic, don't you?''

Chapter 17 - ''Seems I owe you many debts.''

897 35 9
By xxitsxxweronikaxx

Katara often wondered what it would feel like to use her bloodbending in front of people. After so many years of hiding this ability, she finally got a chance to show someone what it could do. What kind of things she could achieve if people only didn't perceive it as something wrong.

It was the time, she's decided. She didn't have a second to waste on thinking about the possible consequences.

She would ensure it's still kept a secret from the world. But not from Taimo. Not from the people that she could actually heal.

As if sensing the unease that fell over the room, Zuko guided her out of the there. Without another word, they left in silence. Katara realised he led her outside of the healing room.

They now stood in the corridor. Zuko looked around to check if anyone sees them. Then he pushed Katara into the small closet next to the door they just went through.

She gasped at sudden physical contact. His hand almost burnt her shoulder as Zuko himself squeezed into the small space.

There was only shelves with a lot of tonics, glasses and towels. Complete darkness surrounded them as the Fire Lord closed the door behind him.

''What are you doing?'' Katara hissed, trying to get as away from him as possible. 

She felt Zuko's breath on her face and he stared down at her. ''This is the only place we can talk in private,'' he shrugged, the movement making his chest almost touch her own. Katara inched back. ''Now, can you truly heal Taimo?''

The waterbender swallowed hard. ''I can,'' she nodded. It was difficult not to look up at him. Her eyes settled on the buttons of his shirt. It was done up to his neck. ''I need to tell you something, first though. You have to promise not to freak out.''

''Anything,'' Zuko did not hesitate. ''You can tell me anything.''

Katara gathered the courage to glance up at him. There was no light but she could make out his face features. He was serious, she's realized. ''You need to keep this a secret. No one can ever know.''

Frowning, Zuko nodded. ''I will not tell a soul.''

He would do that. The Fire Lord couldn't admit it out loud yet but he would do anything she'd ask of him. The urge to make her happy was overwhelming. 

Katara exhaled heavily. Here goes a secret, the terrible truth she's held for many years. A part of her that she cherished the most. ''In order to heal Taimo, I need to use the technique I've learnt a long time ago,'' she's said. Zuko glared at her so dropped her head, looking away. ''Bloodbending is the only thing that can save him.''

In the little distance they had between each other, she could feel Zuko's body becoming perfectly still. He tensed, watching her carefully. He remained silent for few moments.

''Don't you need a Full Moon to perform it?'' 

''No,'' she shook her head. ''Not anymore.''

He raised his eyebrows. 

''Zuko, I know what people think of it,'' Katara's voice was quiet. She felt a strange relief in her chest but her eyes became misty. ''I understand that everyone is scared of it. But I promise you, it is not what it seems.''

''Does it not hurt people? Take away their will?'' Zuko questioned in a tone that was a void of nothingness. Empty. 

''If you use it to control people, yes. It can be used to heal, though. It gives people a second chance,'' she's explained. She found herself wanting Zuko to understand. She needed him to be on her side. Otherwise, she might not believe it herself. 

''How?''

The demand in his voice was the one she would hear often from her father or Pakku while they commanded her as the Master Healer. She did not appreciate it. She crossed her arms, straightening. ''I do not have the time to explain this to you right now. Taimo needs it and I can save his life. All I'm asking for is that you dismiss everyone and let me do this without the witnesses.''

''And if I don't?'' 

''Please, Zuko,'' Katara would beg. She would do anything for him to agree to it. The impulse to heal and save lives was bigger than whatever was happening with her heart now, how it stuttered from the closeness between them, how her hands trembled at the thought of revealing that part of herself to Zuko. She touched his cheek, her thumb on his scar. His eyes went feral. His nostrils widened but he did not move away. ''Please.''

The Fire Lord scanned her face. Only briefly they stopped to admire the bruise he left her that so painfully reminded him of what he cannot have ever again. She was Aang's now. 

At the though, he opened the door. Katara's eyebrows drew closer as Zuko stepped outside. Her hand was still in the air as if she could still feel the roughness of his skin underneath her own. ''Do it then. Do it and save my friend.''

Without another word, Zuko made his way to the healing room. 

Katara needed a moment though. She had to gather all her racing thoughts. She took few deep breaths to calm her nerves. 

She would do anything to prove to Zuko it can work. 

...........................................

The Fire Lord told all of the healers to leave the room. To their credit, they did so without much of an argument even if they were not really satisfied. Only Nuli tried negotiating her stay there but Zuko would not be questioned. 

After they left, Katara stepped into the room. It hit her again, the sadness of this place. How all these people laid there unmoving, probably waiting for death to claim them. She's decided she would not hide from them. After healing Taimo, she would do anything she could for them as well. 

She made her way to the last bed in the corner. Taimo was staring up at the ceiling while Zuko watched her. 

Chan approached her, his expression unyielding. ''Zuko told me. Are you sure this is the right way to do this?''

''Do you doubt me?'' Katara smirked even if her heart told a different story. She's done it thousands of time before but she never had any audience. Especially of people that were aware of what she was doing. 

Chan returned a gesture. ''I wouldn't dare.''

Katara stopped on Taimo's left while Zuko remained at his right. She heard Chan taking place next to her. The patient finally looked at her. His smile was weak but it was there. ''I am ready.''

The waterbender rolled up her sleeves. ''This will hurt like hell,'' she told him but Taimo had no reaction. Chan, however, tensed. She looked between him and Zuko. ''I need you to hold him still.''

They both nodded in silence. Katara took a big breath and placed her hands above Taimo's chest. It started moving up and down faster. 

Katara clenched her jaw. Suddenly, Zuko grabbed her wrist. His face was drawn. ''I trust you.'' Letting go of her, she didn't realize till then how calm it made her. How much she needed to hear it. 

Closing her eyes, Katara made a circular move with her right hand. She felt the the electrifying energy fill up her veins as she did the same thing with her left hand. She heard Taimo's groan. Chan's body nearing her. 

''Your blood is infected, Taimo,''Katara said in a quiet, eerie voice at which Zuko whipped his head up to stare at her. He's never heard her using it. ''To heal you, I need to filter out the bad blood. I will replenish it as you will loose much of it.''

Her palm travelling from his chest to his head, she felt the blood move to her will. Her hand shook violently as she struggled, using the other hand to move in the opposite direction. 

It was like trying to separate two magnets. She used more force, breathing heavily. Taimo swore loudly. His body started spasming. Chan stepped over her to hold his arms while Zuko held his ankles. 

Taimo was in pain. Katara had to work quickly. 

''Taimo, listen to me,'' she kept her eyes closed all the time but she heard heartbeat. She used her bending to fasten it, to produce fresh blood. He strained against his friends. ''I am almost done.''

Katara whipped her hand forward suddenly. Taimo yelled in agony, turning his head to the side. She did it again, her heart breaking at what it did to him. At how he now clawed at his neck. 

''Katara!'' Chan grabbed her shoulder. She was like a rock, standing there still and unmoving. ''You're hurting him.''

''I am helping him,'' Katara hissed, her body twitching. Even more violetenly than Taimo's a second ago. 

She made another strong movement. She heard Chan's gasp as Taimo leaned over the bed. He was retching. But it was blood coming out of his mouth. 

The traitorous, infected blood that made him ill has now left his body. 

Katara opened her eyes. She spun her wrist and the blood pooled at the floor was now in the jug of water standing on the table next to the bed. 

Taimo coughed one more time and leaned back on the pillows. His eyes glowed differently now. Chan was there in an instant, shaking his shoulders. ''Taimo? Taimo, how are you feeling?''

The firebender wiped the sweat off his face. Katara stood there, watching, observing. Even if her knees wobbled a little. ''I... I feel better.''

''You are healed,'' Katara said, smiling sheepishly. She hid her hands behind her back. She couldn't keep them still. 

''Thank you,'' the tears appeared in Taimo's eyes. His skin was already looking better. ''Thank you so much, Katara.''

The waterbender bowed her head. She did not need gratitude. She already felt like finally did something amazing. Perhaps even performed a small miracle. His improved well-being was reward enough. 

Chan grabbed her hand. ''I cannot thank you enough,'' he shook it, his eyes bright. ''If you ever need something, just let me know. From this day on, you have my gratitude forever.''

''And mine,'' Zuko stepped in. She looked at him, feeling lightheaded. She really needed to sit down. The Fire Lord smirked. ''Seems I owe you many debts.''

''I...it seems I am drained,'' Katara politely backed away. ''Would you excuse me?''

Chan bowed to her at his waist. Katara blushed but he already engaged in a conversation with Taimo. They already started making plans to hunt next week. 

She couldn't stop smiling. It was the thing she loved the most about healing. 

She felt Zuko's hand at her back. She was too tired to refuse it as she turned her attention to him. ''Let me escort you to your chamber.''

Katara let him oblige her. She was afraid she might pass out if not for his strong hold on her. The warmth of his hand was comforting at her back. She wished for it to never leave this spot. 

.............................................................................................................................................................

Hey babies! 

After such a big break, I am finally back! Daily updates are still a thing!

Please do leave comments and likes so I know you're still here! 

I promise there will be explanations and talks in the next chapter. That might be coming out today even. We'll see.

Follow me to keep updated!

Love, Ronnie. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 43K 31
Cover art by depino on DeviantArt Water. Earth. Fire. Air. Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony, but everything changed when the Fire...
441K 13.8K 50
Three years after the war Zuko is living a life of duty while Katara reluctantly travels the world with Aang. When General Iroh orders them to find Z...
3.8K 227 3
Water... Earth... Fire... Air... Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked and eme...