Date A Live: Red Crown Chapla...

By K_Korvus_Korvac

If I was destined to be nothing, why have I been called up for such an ending? The Crown is mine, yet there a... More

1 - Red Crown
2 - Nightmarish Contract
3 - Paid Compense
4 - Death Watch
5 - Raven Guard
6 - Devil Breaker
7 - Righteous Hand
8 - Memorial Crusader
9 - Stage Setting
10 - Bloodied Stem
11 - Unspoken Evil
12 - Keter Katabasis
13 - Jade Stone
14 - Illustrious Siren
15 - Dark Blue
16 - Speak Naught
18 - His Desperation
19 - Course Inversion
20 - Carrion Living
20.5 - Nobody's Voice
21 - Oblivion Ingress
22 - Standing Eclipse
22.5 - Songstress Lunar
23 - Famine Salvation
24 - Yellow Crown
24.5 - Watchers' Gospel
25 - Sacrilegious Wounds (Part I)

17 - Old Whispers

313 19 6
By K_Korvus_Korvac

I never wanted this...

I never wanted to end up like this.

Back then, I was so stupid, so dumb to trust the decency of a man.

I wasn't good at studying, and I wasn't good at sports. Back then, all I wanted to do was sing. My parents gave me everything that I needed to develop my voice, and the more times I practiced, the more times I heard their praises of me.

When I was 15, I was the famous idol, Tsukino Yoimachi. I performed and performed. I sang, I danced, and I made people smile. I was happy! I was so happy. I was doing what I liked doing, and I made people happy...

I made men happy...

My fans-men. My agents—men.

And everyone turned their back on me because of a man who gave me bad publicity because I wouldn't sleep with him. I wouldn't let him!

My voice... is who I am. My songs... are my passion. I'm an idol.

All I wanted was to sing on the big stage, and I did it.

So why?

Why am I so scared? Why am I still afraid of that man? That disgusting man! Why?!

"Miku, it's okay," I hear spoken softly.

Is that... Laura?

"... I'm jealous of you..."

She sounds... sad?

"You have everything I wish I never took for granted... You're cute, your skin looks like smooth silk, your attitude is carefree, and you have a good voice... I wish I never had to regain my voice after I was fighting that damned fire Spirit," she murmured in deep sadness, regret, even.

Why are you comparing yourself to me? I don't get it...

Laura was just an interesting tall girl with a cute voice, but you're like this...?

"In trying to pretend that I knew everything, that no one could stand against me, it cost me everything... Every action has a consequence, and I paid the price for it."

She paid a price for her ignorance?

... That means I paid a price for not sleeping with that man. Should I have just...?

"... Errgh... What am I doing? Talking to someone unconscious? I really don't have a lot of friends, huh?... Eheh." I could hear her strained chuckle to herself. "It doesn't matter,... I guess," she said, followed up by a pause.

"I need to keep moving forward..."

Laura, I never knew... What was I even thinking? It-... It doesn't matter anymore that I refused that man's advancements. It shouldn't matter anymore...! Even if all boys, all men go against me and ridicule me, I have the power to move away from them, now!

"Miku...!" She's calling for me. I feel her hands against my head and shoulders.

I think, I hope that there's nothing to worry about.

There's no need to worry about the disgusting men. I have my girls, after all.

And...

I have my Laura. If you don't think that way,... perhaps I'll make you mine.

What's this? Were you hiding something so beautiful? You lied to me, Laura. Ufufu...

It's nice to see your beautiful face, my white Snow Spirit.

Miku: "Pretty..."

-/-

"These are the edicts of our fine organization, my friends! Your colors signify your chosen role, for only those truly dedicated to the bit can have such beauty. Ah~, and might I add, you girls better know CPR, because you will take the customers' breaths away as you have mine."

The world was bustling with life, flare in the sky, and food all and about.

Shido: "Welcome to the 25th Annual Ten-oh Festival!"

Clusters of maids are arranged into colors of pink, light blue, yellow, purple, and cyan, bearing the flame of ecstatic trolling and/or intellectual energy within their very eyes.

Shido: "This is your Head Butler, Shido Itsuka, and let's absolutely pulverize the competition knobheads!"

He begins listing off the colors and their personalities.

Shido: "Enthusiastic Sadists! Conflicted Tsunderes! Lolicon-hunting Imoutos! Manhunting Onee-sans! And both true and trap Idols! Whatever motives you have, express yourselves, let 'em fucking have it!"

The doors open to their supposedly modest maid cafe, but for such an allegedly modest place, there was such a large sum of workers. Male customers start to gain more interest as they see the types of maids this fine establishment offers.

While most of the male staff were relegated to either cooking, logistics, or managerial tasks, some maids could take those roles if they wanted to.

Shido: "I daresay..."

Shido attends to a pair of one of the few girls who decided to go into a maid cafe.

Shido: "Your hand looks lonely, my dear."

He holds one of the girls' hands like a gentleman butler even as they order from their seats.

Shido: "May I hold it for you~?"

Who's to say that they weren't going to spread the word about this maid cafe after being flustered like that, even forgetting that they ate their meals?

A customer slams both hands on the table after being presented with a parfait, gaining the eyes of the other customers and staff, and also Shido. Waltzing over to the customer with the sheds of charm about him, he calmly asks him.

Shido: "Is there a problem, good sir?"

"...sadist..." He weakly muttered.

Shido: "Pardon?"

"...spicy... salty... sour..."

Tohka: "Is there a problem?"

The innocent Tohka inquired.

"Sadist...! " He quietly murmured before shouting at the top of his lungs. "I'D LIKE ANOTHER SADIST PARFAIT, PLEASE!"

"O-Oi...?!" His friend became alarmed. "Sadist parfait?! Let me have one too!" He's just surprised because he wanted one too.

Sooner or later, people start ordering an 'unlisted desert' from an alleged 'secret menu' exclusive to the Sadist Maids, the "Sadist Parfait."

Other maids from other personalities (factions) look at Tohka, who is part of the Sadistic personality, and a competitive fire sparks in their eyes.

Shido: "... Hmmph. Tohka, can you come over here for a sec?"

Tohka: "Hai?"

Going into the staff room, they talk in a corner.

Tohka: "Shido, what did you want to talk about?"

Shido's posture stood firm, a stone-cold statue of power and astute brevity, bringing a chill down Tohka's spine. Fearing the worst and that she had done something catastrophically wrong to ruin the new Shido's plan, her chin lowered and her hands protected her forehead.

Instead of receiving any sort of scolding (reprimanding), she feels hands on her shoulders. Tohka meets his eyes.

Shido: "Tohka, you're a genius! Hah! Not even I, a being of nobility, thought about this!"

Tohka: "R-Really? I didn't mess up?"

Shido scoffs at the thought.

Shido: "Hm? Haaaagh? What made ya think that? You're a Sadist personality. It's basically your job to hurt peasants and give them some sick thrill through it. They likely have not gained enough love from their fathers."

Tohka: "Hai...?"

Her innocence prevented her from understanding the last sentence.

Before she forgets, she shakes her head and asks Shido something.

Tohka: "Shido?"

Shido: "Yes, my lovely flower~?"

She stammers due to the sudden charm and compliment.

Tohka: "S-Shido! W-Why am I part of the Sadist maids? Kaguya and Yuzuru are in the Tsundere personality..."

Somewhere within the maid cafe...

"H-Hey, you're pretty cute, you know?"

Kaguya: "O-Oi...! Watch your m-mouth, alright? Stop spouting weird stuff...! 'Calm down. Calm down... This is just work. This is for Shido and Keter-san...' "

Yuzuru: "Alarm: You. S-top telling my sister weird things. Question: W-hy not me? 'Endurance: This is a test of mental endurance.' "

Tohka: "So why am I in the Sadist personality? I-I'm not sure how to act...!"

Shido: "'Hmm... Judging from your lack of cooking experience...' What ingredients did you put in the parfait?"

Tohka: "I did what they told me to do. I wanted to add more sugar so I took some more from the container with the black lid. I put vanilla essence in it from that bottle with a V-word from the refrigerator. They even told me to add colorful sweeten-something to it, so I used the red liquid from the small red bottle."

Shido snaps his finger.

Shido: "Exactly. That's why you're part of the Sadist personality."

He begins to cackle and buckle a little.

Tohka: "W-What?"

Shido: "That 'sugar' you added? That was salt."

Tohka: "Huh...?"

Shido: "And that vanilla essence? Vinegar."

Tohka: "Eh?"

Shido: "Hehehe... And also, that food coloring sweetener? That was hot sauce! You just put all three of them to make something so beautifully sadistic and you didn't even know about it...!"

He covers his eyes as he giggles to himself in absolute amusement.

Tohka: "Wh-Wh-Whaaaaaa??"

Tohka, bewildered, nearly cries because of the mistakes she thought she made, until Shido's hand lands on her head. Their eyes meet once more in a more serene fashion.

Shido: "... Tohka, don't think about it too much. The reason why I put you where you are now is because I trust you. A king should trust his subjects to fulfill their duties, should he not?"

Tohka embraces him, forming balls of tears at the corner of her eyes.

Tohka: "Shidooo...!"

Shido: "..."

He groans a little.

Shido: "Come on, let's get back to work. You gotta teach the other Sadist maids that recipe."

The doors to their establishment ring with the entrance of a new batch of customers.

Shido: "Welcome, ladies- Guh—?!"

"I know that men are the majority that come to places like these, but the cute girls make it worthwhile, especially when I'm with you."

A playful groan emits.

"P-Please drop that. I just want to see how their coffee tastes. And could you please tone it down with that 'men' talk?"

The strained smile cringes a little, pleading to the other in a friendly and comfortable way.

His heart sinks as he looks upon the revision of vanity, the lightness of snow, the anathema of a winter day and night.

Laura has come, albeit a little different...

Shido: "'WHO IS THAT???' "

Alright, significantly different.

The king stood agape. For once in his life, the king felt true confusion.

---

Laura: "I guess it's been a while since I've thought back about this... You know, that thing like two days ago?"

Miku: "Mmmmh? Oh, that...! Don't worry, I already forgive you for lying to me."

They walk beside each other, escorted by an entourage of female students from Miku's all-girl school.

Laura: "But I didn't lie. I really did have a burn-scarred face."

She persistently reinforces her claim.

Miku: "Hai, hai."

Miku dismissed it with grace and closed eyes, smiling with contentment.

Miku: "I somewhat believe you just because you're cute. Aww. I wish I could've bought you cuter clothes. I would have loved to see more frills on you...! What you chose looks too simple."

Laura: "Haha, yeah, but I insist, I'm this kind of girl. Although, black and red would've been my style. Plus, I like the gloves."

Miku: "But your new eyes would look better in this~ Do you like the hair ribbon?"

Laura: "Yeah, and I'm really thankful for the gifts, Miku."

Compliments were exchanged and casual talk was had while they walked around the festival.

Miku: "Cheer for me on the stage, alright? Cheer for me...!"

Laura: "I can be critical, so I'll cheer for you if your show is good."

She jokingly remarked, to which Miku quipped back with astute confidence.

Miku: "I am an idol. Don't underestimate me."

-/-

It's been two days, I think since my visit to Miku happened. Ever since that incident, she's been oddly clingy to me. She's been buying me gifts, talking to me a bit too casually, and she's even doting on me. I'm not sure I get it! It's moments like these that made me want the Crown's mind-reading abilities back...

No, no. Let's not think about Keter Adom... I don't deserve that power. I took it for granted, and now it's not to be a part of me anymore. I think I saw it last with Shido. Nevermind that.

And speaking of power... That voice. I can remember it back then so clearly.

It was late noon and the sky and sun shaded Miku's dorm room with a gentle light. She was holding my cheek while there I was without a covered face.

"Pretty..."

Laura: "'Pretty? What does she mean by-' "

Something, somewhere in my head, I heard a voice.

"Before us stands the last of its kind. All others we have hunted down and put to the blade."

Laura: "...?"

Miku: "Laura-chan?"

Laura: "-chan?"

I helped Miku up and helped her tidy herself up by dusting her clothes with my hand, only for her to hold it and declare how bold my 'advances' were. Mind you, I was just being polite! We were talking again, and I was apologizing, all the while I heard this... this voice that I couldn't understand, and yet I felt the resonance that the dagger gave a reaction to when Miku sang back then.

No. It's likely the result of her trying to use her Angel on me. The black dagger must've reacted to it. I'm not sure if her Angel works on other Spirits, but it looked like she already knew both of us were Spirits.

"So it is true. The Red Crown sits upon the brow of another."

A deep, gurgling voice, vaguely even resembling a woman's, radiating blasphemous, heretical power with grit and gravel as if the voice didn't have proper vocal cords.

"It matters not. We need not bother Shamura with this. Deal with it, brother."

Laura: "'Shamura? That's not a common name. And I haven't even heard of its etymology.' "

"Have they not suffered enough? Have I not suffered enough? We fought, pathetic vessel. We bled. We grieved. And yet the Red Crown wants more. No more."

Laura: "'This feels like a puzzle... but the more I listen, the more I ask. I don't even know why this is happening.' "

"You have......... felled me,......... yet you hold.... audacities to....... care....... for me....."

Her voice sounded weaker yet spiteful.

"Keep.... it...... I.... need not it......... Use.... as you.... see....... fit...."

Use what as I saw fit?

"Sincerely,.... thank you....... Taliah....."

That name again... I don't know its etymology either. Maybe I should look it up.

My heart was beating with the syncopated backbone of the orange and gold resonance. Any hunger that I didn't even think I had suddenly felt satiated. The flow of this new Reiryoku circulated throughout me, covering me in a mist of nigh-hallucinogenics.

I felt refreshed...

A euphoric effect.

Miku: "Oh, your eye color changed."

Laura: "My what?"

She showed me my face in the mirror, and it wasn't me wearing contact lenses. I even felt them. It hurt.

Miku: "Naughty, naughtyyy."

Laura: "Excuse me?"

The next thing I knew, she'd used her power to make me... her... childhood friend. I had this new look, so no one thought I was the bandage-faced inspector who came into the school.

Still, I couldn't believe it. My face completely changed. My eyes had gone from my natural purple to a bright yellow, and even the sunken parts of my face were gone. The scars—gone. Does this mean that... I have my... old charisma back. That means I can go back to- Nope! Stop that train of thought.

If I continue to go like that, I won't learn from my mistakes, and I'll pay the price for that again. That won't happen again.

-/-

Once the smiles become bland, her face becomes withdrawn with a look of despair—a look of detachment from reality and emotional availability. Perhaps the effects of her past experiences have come again, as this was nothing new to her. Temporary boosts of joy, followed by a flattening maw of dread and innate despair.

Miku: "Laura...?"

Miku spoke in a reserved fashion to show concern.

Laura: "Yeah?"

Miku, feeling sympathetic for the girl she really wants to pursue, goes in front of her with a soft and gentle smile. She holds both of Laura's hands and brings them to chest level.

Miku: "... There's a maid cafe over there. I think it's good for both of us. I get to see cute girls, who are objectively less cute and pretty than you, and you get some coffee. You like coffee, right? Come on. My treat."

Laura stares at the ground, looking to the left of it before forming a small grin with one corner of her mouth. In a soft manner, she mused her response.

Laura: "I'd love that..."

---

Shido: "'I can't believe this, right now...' "

He stood frozen in silence, teeth clenched as tension reigned over him for a brief moment. In that brief moment, he clutches his chest where his heart lies, feeling its irregular beats.

Shido: "'This can't be. I, Shido Itsuka, have never felt such conflict! It's as if my very being is calling for her. What a disgrace of a king to have such disgusting feelings.' "

He swallowed his spit and steeled himself, approaching Laura and the entourage of girls. He greets Laura with a bow and offers a hand.

Shido: "Now, how may I help the count's daugh-"

His hand flew into the air on high for Miku has slapped it away. In a righteous fit of irritation, she firmed her voice and 'complained' with such fervor to the point she seemed entitled.

Miku: "How dare you try to offer a hand to her...!? How dare a man, a man think he is worthy of even speaking to her!"

Laura: "Miku, calm-"

She turns to Laura with an innocent smile.

Miku: "Everything's fine, Laura-chaaan~ I was only correcting this man's mistake."

Laura: "I said to tone it down."

Tohka: "Shido...!"

Yuzuru: "Concern: Are you alright?"

Kaguya: "Is this customer being rude?"

The three jumped to his defense, but the king did not appreciate it, for he believed he needed no defending. He walked through his defensive girls and promptly bowed with elegance and grace.

Shido: "My sincerest apologies. I recognized not that royalty has shown themself. As but a humble servant, I will henceforth evacuate myself from the premises, as the lady has requested."

Shido spoke with the tone of charming nobility, yet this seemed to have little effect on Miku and Laura, or even the other girls who escorted them. Silently accepting his defeat, he remained elegant as he left the scene and into the kitchen. As soon as he left, Miku began doting again.

Miku: "Wow, Laura-chan, these girls are so cuuute! Come on! Let's have some coffee."

Laura: "..."

Laura had a slight look of gloom over her.

Laura: "Let's... go somewhere else. We've caused enough trouble as it is."

Laura just turns and leaves, leaving Miku a little baffled and saddened.

Meanwhile, Shido begins to get informed that the situation has become more complicated.

Kotori: "<<We've detected a different pattern of Spirit waves near you. It's sad to say, you've probably already been beaten to the punch, onii-chan. That is the idol Miku Izayoi, and we believe she's, not only a hardcore lesbian, but also a Spirit.>>"

Shido: "Are you tryna get attention from me~? I can tell from your tone that you wish you could serve meee~"

Kotori: "<<Ee-! Shut up, onii-chan, and just d-do your work!>>"

An electric hiss from the earpiece could only mean one thing.

Shido: "Heh. She cut me off. Radio silent, ey? Tryna hide from me~"

She'll surely tune back in soon.

A dull but solemn visage overcomes his mood, forcing the appearance of a look of focus, for the king's attention has been drawn.

His thoughts look back on the deep feeling in his heart, one that he wished to reject. As he clenched his teeth and the clasped hand over his chest, he steels his will.

Shido: "Yuzuru."

Yuzuru appears in the kitchen with a bent knee in submission to him.

Yuzuru: "Acknowledged: Yes?"

Shido: "Change of plans. We enter the stage."

Yuzuru: "Acknowledged: Of course. Question: Why so?"

Shido: "The one who you split your loyalties for has come and is with a Spirit only able to be beaten on the stage."

Yuzuru: "... Confirmation: So you knew..."

Shido: "Yes, Yuzuru. I know you and your sister aren't fully loyal to me. I can understand. After all..."

His hushed tone spoke volumes. Kneeling before her, his presence exudes a dark aura, pressuring half of the Lady of the Storm.

Shido: "It was Keter Adom's efforts that saved you two. My naive self wasn't good enough."

He stands back up, turning to the doors with both hands folded to his back.

Shido: "But don't worry about that. I have no plans to change our status quo. Let us go as if this 'confirmation' of yours... never happened."

The king steps outside to greet more honored and welcomed guests.

Yuzuru: "... Yes,... Shido..."

---

For such a small body, she tosses and turns aplenty. Though she was tangled in the sheets of her blanket, it just wouldn't stop. A sleep envisioned in vermillion and the heated smell of iron. The human mind can understand concepts and contradictions, yet cannot understand what is truly beyond the veil.

A mist, a veil. A room of error. An otherworldly tension. A pilgrimage from a cosmic unknown.

She wakes up, aghast, staring at her light-beige colored walls in her dimly lit bedroom coated in her air conditioning's comfortable cold, and yet there was no comfort to be had.

She rushes out of bed, scrambling open her end table's drawer and grabbing a pencil and paper. She scratched and etched the pencil into her notebook to the point where it jostled the very table. Feeble hands of trembling. She almost knocks off the family picture she had with her cousin.

Alas, once her storm finishes, her knees weaken to the floor as she grabs ahold of what she has done, staring at it in distress and confusion, and yet doing naught. Hours in a trance had led to this with the skill not hers to belong.

It was not a picture, she realized, but a string of words written in words unclear.

A strike of pain coursed through her mind, sharp as it was sudden.

"She was unalike her late kin. Whilst they dealt with celebration—order, abundance, health, peace. Things in which her constancy forced transposition. And yet it seemed inevitable—the obstinate, the vengeful, the ignorant, the heretical. She Who Mourns, The One Who Remains. Truly saddening, 'tis would then seem, has longing to I who will invite the sacrifice of old, unite ancient vow and shackle of bonds alike. Doubt tears faith asunder, I may relate. Nonetheless, I augment. I shall wait."

----------

[A/N: I'm back! But hopefully, the quality of work hasn't dropped...]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.6K 342 14
In the Date a live universe, an average student Named Shido Itsuka had his life wrapped up in the responsibilities of sealing the spirits and gifting...
165 16 7
[This is a one-shot original work of fantasy] {COMPLETED} Tired of the same old "other world" anime? This is my play on the subject, turning it on it...
3.1K 152 43
Many things happened during these years. Events which cause us to rise or fall, laugh or cry, make us love or hate something or someone, in other wor...
75.7K 1.7K 12
Senti reincarnated in Date A Live, an unoriginal story of mine (it is maybe original). In which you follow the story of man reincarnated in the body...