until we meet again // after...

By jiaracabin6

Kiara was nineteen when she finally returns to the outer banks. It had been two years since she had seen the... More

Backstory
744 Days
Back home
Stand by me
That funny feeling
Cool about it
ruined
United In Grief
anything
surf

Happy pretending

520 13 7
By jiaracabin6

You swore I'd never make it into your head

I thought you never could get under my skin

I know you cannot take back all that we said,

Are you happy or do you pretend

Do I ever cross your mind?

Picture your body laying next to mine

Does she know you like I do,

Or is she just something to do?

-

Aisha Badru

***

"You okay?" asked the blond girl.

Kiara and Sarah were sitting on the beach, Cleo was sunbathing next to them. Kiara stared out at the sea where the four others were surfing, her towel clutched to her shivering body.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I?" lied the curly-haired girl, turning her gaze to her blond sister.

"I don't know, maybe everything, the pills, your panic attack yesterday, JJ and Amelia..." she said, looking into her friend's eyes, Sarah's chocolate brown eyes filled with pity.

"So you know about JJ and Amelia too, do the others know too?" asked Kiara.

"No, they don't."

"So JJ only told you and not the others?" she asked a confused look appeared on her face.

"No, he didn't tell me anything, I heard Amelia say it to you, I didn't know."

"Oh..." Kiara exhaled, it was the only thing that got past her lips.

"I'm sorry Kie." spoke her friend, her voice almost a whisper.

Kiara only shook her head and let her head hang down.

"Come here," said her blonde friend, wrapping her arms around her. Kiara buried her head in her shoulder, wetting Sarah's shirt. However, Sarah did not care about that, she had to be here for Kiara now.

"It's okay, it's okay. You can let it out." she whispered in Kiara's ear, her voice tender, stroking her friend's brown curls.

After a moment, Kiara pulled away and looked into her friend's eyes.

"He promised me, he promised me it was forever." she sobbed, tears rolling down her tan cheeks, but Sarah was quick to wipe them away. 

"I know Kie, I'll have a word with him." reassured Sarah, grabbing Kiara's trembling hands.

"No, Sarah it's okay. I'm not even mad at him."

"What? Kie he cheated-" but Sarah got cut off by her friend.

"Sar it has been two years. The last two years I've been thinking about that, you know what if he moves on. I just don't think I dared to see it. JJ also has his own life and if he wants to move on, he can and I'm not going to stop him. I'm happy for both of them, for Amelia and JJ."

"Kie..."

"I guess we are not meant to be after all then." she sobbed, letting a few tears slip. 

Sarah wrapped her arms around her friend once more.

"You know what Kie? We will go back to the condo and then do whatever we want there, you know. Just like old times." suggested Sarah, as they pulled away.

"But-" began Kiara,but got cut off by Sarah.

"I have the keys to the Twinkie," she said and took the keys out of her back pocket, a broad smile across her face. She jumped straight and held out her hand to Kiara.

"C'mon!" and with that Kiara grabbed Sarah's hand and Sarah then pulled Kiara straight.

"What about Cleo?" asked Kiara, referring to the sleeping girl. As she pulled her shirt over her head.

"Oh, we better not wake her up or she'll get cranky." chuckled Sarah, bringing a smile to Kiara's face.

"Hurry up!" giggled Sarah.

"Give me a sec." said Kiara putting on her shoes, when she was done Sarah immediately grabbed her friend's hand and pulled her along with her. The two ran from the beach toward the twinkie.

***

"Wanna go get beer?" Sarah asked, turning to look at Kiara who was driving the Twinkie.

"Sure if you pay, right now I'm broke."

"Don't worry Kie, I'll sugar mommy you."

The rest of the ride was filled with giggles from the two girls.

When they arrived at the local store. Sarah wanted to get out, but was stopped by Kiara.

"Hey Sar?" she asked, getting the blond girl's attention.

Sarah turned to look at Kiara and was immediately met with a sorrowful look.

"Kie, what's wrong?" Sarah asked, anxiety took over immediately.

"You know those pills?"

"Yeah, what's wrong it?"

"There is nothing wrong with it. I just don't have any more, the bottle is empty. So would you go to the pharmacy with me?" Kiara asked.

"Sure, but what are those pills for?" Sarah asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Nothing special." Kiara lied, avoiding Sarah's eyes.

"Kie..."

"I'll tell you, I'll tell all of you. But just not right now, okay?"

"'Course that's okay, but you shouldn't be afraid to say anything to us, you know that."

Kiara nodded and took a deep breath before speaking.

"Let's get beer, shall we?"

***

"Hi, do you have these?" asked Kiara, showing the empty white pill bottle to the man behind the counter.

Sarah and Kiara had gone to get beer and other snacks and were now in the pharmacy.

"I'll check." said the man and observed the pill bottle.

He turned to the computer that was on the counter and looked up the so-called medicein.

"Can I ask. Where did you get this from?" he asked Kiara.

"Uhm, my therapist gave me these." she lied.

"Well young lady, these pills are not mediceins," he said and handed her back the pill bottle.

Kiara first looked at the man and than looked at Sarah. Her eyes traveled back to the man.

"What do you mean? These pills are supposed to be for ODD, right?" she asked, raising her voice causing the rest of the people waiting in line to look at her.

"I don't know what this so-called therapist has been leading you on. But ma'am these pills are not medicines, these are actually illigal drugs." he explained.

Kiara froze, okay she knew something was wrong with those pills, but drugs?

Without another word, she walked out of the building, Sarah at her heels.

"Kie, what the hell was that all about?" Sarah asked, getting in the twinkie.

"I don't know Sar, I really don't know." Kiara said, her voice unsteady.

"Kie-"

"You believe me right? I really didn't know that thos pills where illigal drugs!" she panicked.

"Hey, hey!" said Sarah, raising her voice to get Kiara attention.

"I believe you, okay? That camp is just..."

"Fucked up." said Kiara, finishing Sarah's sentence.

"Yeah, it's fucked up, so fucked up."

"I'm sorry." the curly-haired girl apologized out of nowhere.

"What are you sorry about Kie?"

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you guys about the pills, about the fight with my parents. I- I just wanted to spend a day with my friends I hadn't seen for two years, like I'm normal and not someone who spent two years in a wilderness cuckoo's nest." she said, tears forming in the corner of her eyes.

"Kie-"

"Can we please just enjoy this, no Kitty Hawk, no parents bull shit."

"Sure." Sarah said, her voice gentle. Sending a smile to her sister.

***

"Sarah, do you know where JJ hides his weed?" Kiara called out to Sarah as she searched the drawers in JJ's (and her) bedroom.

"No, of course not, you should know that, you're his girlfriend." Sarah said, appearing in the doorway.

Kiara looked at Sarah, a sad look on her face.

"Sorry." Sarah immediately apologized to her, when she saw her friend's face.

"Don't be." Kiara simply said and opened another drawer.

"Aha, finally." Kiara said, she pulled out a box where JJ kept his rolled-up joints.

"Yeah!" cheered the blond boy and took a sip of her beer, trowing her other hand in the air.

***

"C'mon JJ, admit it. I just kicked your ass." John B said, as he walked back to shore with his surfboard under his arm. The blond boy beside him and Amelia and Pope behind him talking to each other.

"Sorry, Bree. I'm still the king of the waves."

"Well sooner or later I'll take the title of King of the waves." chuckled the wavy-haired boy.

"In your dreams." said the blond boy, placing his surfboard on the sand next to Cleo who was still sunbathing. But soon noticed that a familiar curly-haired girl was not there.

"JB, you know where Kie is?" he asked, running his hands through his wet hair.

"No, Sarah's not here either." replied John B, meanwhile looking around for any sign of either of the two girls.

"About an hour ago, Kie said she was going to the shore, she didn't feel like surfing anymore. But she didn't say she was just going to disappear, though." said the Maybank boy, looking around the beach.

"I'll call Sarah." said John B and looked for his girlfriend's contact on his phone. He brought the phone to his ear and after ringing twice, Sarah answered the phone.

"Vlad!" yelled Sarah through the phone.

"Sarah, where are you guys?"

"Oh, we're already at the condo. Kie and I had a girl's night." giggled Sarah and John B could also hear in the background the nonstop giggling of his curly-haired best friend. 

Shaking his head at the girl's behavior, he let out a deep sigh and rubbed his fingers across his forehead.

"Are you guys drunk?" he asked.

"No, yes, maybe." she said, struggling.

"Jeez, Sarah just answer the question. Are you guys drunk, yes or no?" he asked his girlfriend, getting frustrated.

"I'm not drunk." answered Sarah, letting out a sigh at the end.

"Kie is drunk though, crossfaded actually."

"Sarah..." he began.

"She really needed it John B, I mean-" but Sarah got cut off by John B

"I get it Sarah, I really do. We'll come to the condo." said John B, taking up his surfboard while his phone was wedged between his head and shoulder.

"There's one more problem." admitted Sarah.

"Which is?"

"We took the twinkie, I'm sorry John B."

John B let out another sigh and walked back to the streets with the others.

"It's okay Sarah, we'll go by foot."

"Okay bye, I love you."

"And Sarah make sure that Kie is sleeping on her side."

"Oh believe me, Kie is not going to sleep for the next few hours." chuckled Sarah through the phone.

"Just promise me, I can't lose her again."

"I promise, but I gotta go Kie is calling me."

"Okay, I'll see you later, I love you."

"I love you too." And with that they ended the call.

"Is she with Sarah?" he heard the blond boy ask, as soon as he shoved his phone back in his pocket.

"Yeah, she's at the condo with Sarah."

"But she's okay right?"

"Sarah told me she's crossfaded."

"But besides being crossfaded she's okay right? he asked, the worry did not leave his voice.

"No JJ, I actually don't think she's okay, she's a mess. You really need to have a good talk with her and I know we were all going to do that once with her about Kitty Hawk, but I think it's best that you talk to her first, alone. I think there are things that she's not telling us, so no I don't think she's okay." he said, looking at the blond, but the blond boy didn't say a word.

"Look JJ, Kie is my sister, I want her to be happy, okay. And you're the only one who makes her happy right now, so please talk to her again." he pleaded looking in his best friend's deep blue eyes.

"Yeah, I'll do it, I'll talk to her." said the blond boy, swallowing deep. "I'll talk to her." running his fingers through his hair.

***

When the five remaining pogues arrived at the condo, there was no sign of the two girls. John b sighed when he saw the scattered beer cans and the other mess.

"They're probably in the bathroom." he remarked.

"I'll check." said the blond boy and headed to the bathroom.

When he arrived at the bathroom door, he could hear giggled from the insede. He knocked and waited for an answer.

"Come in!" he heard Sarah yell.

He opened the door and was met with the two girls sitting on the ground next to the toilet, the curly-haired girl was with something Sarah said.

"It seems that you guys had fun." he chuckled.

Hearing his voice, Kiara turned her head to look at him. JJ thought Kiara would be happy to see him, but in the instead her face was a mix of anger, frustration and sadness.

"I'll take over, Sarah." he told the blonde girl.

"JJ, I don't think th-" but she got cut off by JJ.

"It's okay Sarah, I'll take over. Go check on your own lover." he stated.

Sarah rolled her eyes, but did as she was told and stood up.

She sent a small smile to Kiara who was still sitting on the floor next to the toilet. "I'm not done with you yet Maybank," she said to the blond boy as she passed him, leaving the boy confused. He shook his head and walked up to the girl on the floor, he sat down next to her and leaned his back against the wall.

And next thing he knows, he heard Kiara say "oh god" and the next thing he sees is Kiara hanging over the toilet.

He was quick to hold her curls back, wrapping his hand around her hair like a ponytail. He rubbed her back, while she sat hunched over the toilet.

***

"God, it feels like I puked my guts out." Kiara said, breaking the silence. She was still pretty drunk.

"You okay?" he asked her, but when he heard sobs instead of an answer, he turned to look at her and was met by his girlfriend crying, her head in her hands. He quicly moved closer to her and wrapped his arms around his sobbing girlfriend.

"What's wrong?" he asked, his voice tender.

"You promised." she sobbed, pulling away and looking in his eyes.

"You promised it would be forever." she cried and pushed him by his shoulders.

"Kie, I don't-" he said, grabbing her by her upper arms to calm her down. But was interrupted mid-sentence by Kiara.

"You slept with her." she sobbed, raising her voice. 

"Kie, I don't know what you're talking about."

"You promised." she whispered, breaking down.

But before JJ could say anything, he heard the bathroom door swing open, he turned to look and was met with the blond girl, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Maybank I need to talk with you right now." she said, leaning against the doorframe, her voice stern.

"Sarah, I need to take care of Kie."

"John B will take care of Kie, I need to speak to you."

JJ looked from Sarah, to the crying girl on the floor and then back to Sarah.

"Now!" Sarah said, she signaled to JJ for him to follow her and then walked away.

The blond boy did as Sarah asked him and followed her out, he took another look at Kiara on the floor, which by now John b was sitting next to, and then walked out of the bathroom.

He followed Sarah to the small balcony the condo had. The blond girl had an angry look, her arms still crossed over her chest.

"Now tell me what it is, why did you need to see me so urgently, Mrs. Routledge." he said, a small grin on his face.

JJ received no answer from the blond girl, instead, he felt her palm strike his cheek.

"What the fuck Sarah!" he yelled, rubbing his burning cheek.

"Why would you do that, why would you do that to her!" she cried, throwing her arms in the air.

"What the fuck is wrong with you, what are you talking about?" he yelled back, a confused look on his face.

"Don't be stupid JJ, you know what I'm talking about."

"No Sarah I don't, so tell me what this is about!" he yelled, getting frustrated.

"You hooked up with her, you fucking hooked up with Amelia." Sarah yelled, her voice cracked.

JJ could feel his heart sink to his toes, the color of his face draining.

"What?" he breathed out, his voice almost a whisper.

74"You heard me JJ!"

"Sarah, I didn't hook up with Amelia. Is this a stupid joke or something!" he yelled, getting angry.

"Don't lie to me JJ, I heard Amelia tell Kie!"

"She's lying!"

"Why would she?!" she yelled, rubing her fingers over her forehead.

"Sarah, listen to me!" he yelled, causing Sarah to look him straight in the eye.

"I didn't hook up with her, I swear!"

"Why would I do that to her, Kie's my everything, she's my whole world. In those 744 days I never stopped loving her!" he yelled, his voice broke, as tears formed in his eyes.

"I waited for her every single day, every single day I wrote her letters, so please tell me Sarah why would I do that to the person that I love the most!" he yelled, tears rolling down his cheeks.

And Sarah saw it, Sarah saw the honesty in his eyes. The love that he had for the girl in his eyes. 

And Sarah was angry with herself for questioning the love that JJ had for the girl.

"I need to talk to her right now." and with that he headed inside.

He watched the Routledge boy come out of his room, closing the door behind him carefully.

"Where's Kie?" JJ asked the wavy-haired boy.

"She's asleep." he whispered.

"Oh okay..."

"You okay, Jay. Have you been crying?" asked John b, when he noticed JJ's red, puffy eyes and his dry cheeks.

"I'm going to bed." he just said and walked to his room.

When he opende the bedroom door, he saw the curly-haired girl sleeping.

God, how much he loves this girl.

He could never cheat on her.

***

Another chapter!!!

Sorry for the long wait!!

I hope you guys enjoyed it!

I know I told you there was probably going to be one more chapter, but I'm probably going to do more chapters.

 let me know what you guys thought of it <3

Please vote and comment.

🤍

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34K 656 23
After John B and Sarah go missing, Kiara, JJ, and Pope's lives are changed. Summer is over and the trio has to battle their junior year and grieving...
14.7K 226 18
What if the relationship between JJ and Kiara started while they were stranded on the island together?
182K 3K 26
''𝑳𝒐𝒐𝒌 𝒂𝒕 𝒎𝒆, 𝑰''𝒎 𝒂 𝒎𝒆𝒔𝒔. 𝑯𝒐𝒘 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒂𝒔 𝒃𝒓𝒐𝒌𝒆𝒏 𝒂𝒔 𝒎𝒆?'' ''𝑷𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒆, 𝒋...
12.1K 197 14
After the supposed death of Sarah and John B, JJ and Kiara have no one to lean on but each other during these dark times. Especially, with the awkwar...