𝐓𝐎 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐋 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐊...

By _KRXPTX_

"𝐈𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐦𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝, 𝐈 𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐭 𝐬𝐚... More

TO HELL AND BACK
PART I | THE HUNTER EXAM
ARRIVAL x AND x INTRODUCTIONS
UNFATEFUL x ENCOUNTER
UNEXPECTED x TASK
BIT x OF x MAGIC
THE x TRICK x TOWER
KILLING x TIME
DREAMS x AND x DEMONS
ZEVIL x ISLAND
TROUBLE x FINDS x YOU
FRIENDSHIPS x AND x FEELINGS
FINAL x PHASE
FAREWELL x FOR x NOW
PART II | HEAVENS ARENA
TO x THE x TOP
WE x MEET x AGAIN
PLAN x OF x ATTACK
ELECTRIC x SHOCK
RECOVER x AND x REGROUP
PRICKLY x GUEST
MASTER x AND x STUDENT
ASSASSINATION x JOB
MISSION x ABORTED
HISOKA x VS x KASTRO
SURPRISE x SURPRISE
ONE x STEP x CLOSER
WOLF'S x DEN
DEATH x MATCH

PROMISE x ME

148 7 10
By _KRXPTX_

Hisoka ~

It had been three months since Kira's meeting with Azaro. Upon seeing the effect that he had on her, I was worried. Before that, I had never seen Kira so visibly afraid of anyone. It had me doubting whether or not she would be able to take him on in a fight. 

But turns out her resolve was stronger than her fear. Her hunger for revenge only seemed to grow after that interaction with Azaro. She trained harder than before and even stopped questioning my teaching methods, which I must say, made things a lot easier. 

And in less than an hour's time, all of it would be put to the test in a death match against Azaro. After tonight, only one of them would leave the arena alive. Personally, I hoped it would be Kira. I had a feeling I would miss her if she died.

Normally, I didn't make it a habit to see Kira before her fights. Any lecturing would've been pointless and I always knew she would win so moral support was just unnecessary. I had told myself that tonight was no different.

Yet, I didn't even make it into the stadium before I found myself turning around and rushing towards the competitors waiting rooms. It wasn't that I didn't have confidence in Kira but I could never be too sure. Anything could happen during that fight. 

Finding her room, I quickly entered without bothering to knock. I was glad that I didn't. Upon walking in, I was greeted by a knife flying towards my head. I barely had time to dodge it before several more were hurled my way.

Fortunately, I managed to evade them unscathed. But even if I was hit, it would've been worth it because I had just walked in on a wondrous sight. Kira stood, her back to me, in a skin-tight bodysuit with sleeves that covered her arms and the zipper halfway up. 

"Do you not know how to knock?!" She screeched, turning her head slightly to glare at me.

I smiled, enjoying the way she was blushing furiously. How adorable. I walked a little closer. "Why? Were you not expecting me?"

She frowned and looked away from me again. "Why would I be? You never came to see me before my fights."

"Tonight is a special occasion," I said, before noticing my black cargo pants on the chair beside her. "Are you planning on wearing that?"

"Yes," she replied frustratedly, while struggling with the zipper of her bodysuit. "After I get this stupid thing unstuck."

"Well, aren't you glad I showed up?" I stepped towards her and brushed her hands aside. "Relax, I got it."

The suit was tight and the material felt very durable. I admired the way it hugged her curves perfectly, from her hips and waist, to the muscles on her arms. I wondered where she had it made and whether I could also get one.

I paused, seeing the scars that decorated her exposed back. They were beautiful. I traced my finger along one of them, right below her shoulder blade. I could feel her shiver slightly beneath my touch and that made me smile.

"Get on with it," Kira urged, impatient and flustered.

"Yes, Sweetheart." I placed a hand on her lower back and worked the zipper up, taking my time. When I was done, I let my my hands rest on her hips, allowing myself the luxury of admiring the suit on her.

"You done?" 

"Almost," I lied. If this was the last time I was going to see her, I wanted to remember it. 

Will this be the last time?

A sudden wave of panic crashed into me. It left as quickly as it came. I almost slapped myself for thinking that way. Yet the tightness in my chest wouldn't go away. Without meaning to, I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her into me. 

"What are you doing?!" Kira asked frantically and her hands immediately went to my arms, wanting to pry me off.

"Don't move." I commanded, more forcefully than I had intended, causing her to freeze. 

I held her tightly, her back pressing against my chest. I wouldn't be surprised if she could feel my heart beating. But right now, that was the least of my worries. "Just give me a moment," I said, my voice softening.

Slowly, I felt her relax in my arms and I let my head fall, resting in the crook of her neck. I closed my eyes for a moment, feeling a little more at ease from having her this close to me.

But in the back of my mind, the question Kira had asked me during the Hunter Exam was now coming back to bother me.

"Have you ever lost someone?"

I didn't think so. But was I about to? 

This wasn't like me. It was awfully out of character. When had I ever been afraid of discarding a toy? We had spent too much time together and now I was becoming attached. It was a dangerous game to play. I needed to stop.

Yet, my arms only tightened around her, pulling her even closer, as if by doing so, I could banish these troublesome thoughts.

"Do you think I'm going to die?" Kira asked softly. Her voice was steady but the trace of fear was unmistakeable. 

For once, I didn't feel like lying. "I'm not sure," I whispered.

She gently pried my arms away and turned around to face me. "If I die tonight, kill him for me." She grasped my hand and gazed up at me with determination shining in her silver eyes. "Promise me."

Despite the situation, I found her bloodlust adorable. "I would go to hell and back for you, Sweetheart." 

"You would go to hell and back for fun, you clown." Her grip tightened. "I'm being serious."

"And who said I was joking?"

"Please, you have to kill him." Kira pleaded, her composure cracking a little, revealing the slightest hint of desperation. "Hisoka, promise me."

Did vengeance mean that much to her? Even when there was a chance that she would die, all she cared about was burying Azaro with her. 

But the least I could do was fulfil her wish. I nodded assuringly. "I promise."

Kira ~

"Do you think I'm going to die?" I finally asked. As hard as I tried to keep my voice steady, I could still feel the shakiness and I was sure Hisoka could too.

I felt him stiffen around me, the muscles on his forearms tensing slightly. He seemed to hesitate for a moment before answering softly. "I'm not sure." 

I expected as much. I was just as likely to die as Azaro. It wasn't like I hadn't considered the possibility of failure before, but now it suddenly felt so real. And if I failed, what then? Would my vengeance die with me? 

I would just be another kill added onto Azaro's list. My revenge, my purpose, would all be gone and forgotten. The thought sent a new surge of panic rushing through me. I couldn't let that happen. 

Carefully, I loosened Hisoka's grip around me and turned around to face him. "If I die tonight, kill him for me." I told him sternly, still holding onto his hand. "Promise me."

Amusement danced in his golden eyes. "I would go to hell and back for you, Sweetheart."

I could feel myself getting agitated, desperate even. I was in no mood for his games right now. "You would go to hell and back for fun, you clown. I'm being serious."

"And who said I was joking?" He asked in response, raising a brow.

"Please, you have to kill him." I used to think it was beneath me to beg, but he didn't seem to realise that I would do anything to avenge my brother. "Hisoka, promise me." 

I had to hear him swear it. I needed some sort of assurance before stepping in that ring with no guarantee that I'd be able to step out. I needed to know that in case I couldn't, somebody would finish what I had started for me. 

Hisoka finally nodded. "I promise," he said with more certainty and solemness than what I thought he was capable of showing. "I promise you that if Azaro manages to kill you tonight, I will pursue him to the ends of this world and beyond. I will hunt him down and make sure to inflict the worse possible pain upon him, for daring to take what is mine."

His golden eyes shone with such malice, it should've been terrifying to behold. But when I stared into them, all I could see was beauty. "Thank you," I whispered, looking down with a wistful smile. Even if I was to die tonight, I would have no regrets. 

Before I could turn away, I felt Hisoka's hand brush against my face, tilting my chin up to meet his gaze. His touch was gentle but the tempest in his eyes still had not receded. 

What was going through his mind right now? I could never tell because he never showed it. 

I could see no emotion in his eyes. Or perhaps there were too many different emotions that I couldn't identify them all. This man was an enigma and I had unknowingly become absorbed into his mystery. I didn't know whether to be afraid of him or...

"May I kiss you?"

For a moment, my breath escaped me. The sheer intensity of his gaze was burning hot, yet it made me shiver. I searched his eyes for the usual glimmer of amusement when he teased me, but found nothing. 

"Please, Kira?" He asked softly, my name leaving his tongue with a surprising tenderness. 

Right now? What was he thinking?

I was about to walk into a death match, not knowing whether or not I would survive. I was about to avenge my brother or give my life trying. This was a monumental moment. And here, the killer clown wanted a kiss. 

However, Hisoka didn't seem to be clowning. He was staring intently at me as he waited for my response. He wasn't joking around and that made me more confused than ever. What did he truly want?

I was frustrated that I couldn't read this man. I was frustrated by his outrageous request, the absurd timing of it, and even more so by my own strange inclination to comply. 

But would it be so wrong?

I would be lying if I claimed to have felt nothing for this man. I didn't know what exactly I felt, only that it was dangerous and overwhelming. But if I died tonight, none of this would matter. I had nothing to lose. Before I realised it, I was already nodding. 

Upon receiving the answer he wanted, Hisoka wasted no time to lean down and capture my lips with his. For a moment, my thoughts dissolved until my mind was entirely occupied by the softness of his lips and the light taste of strawberry-flavoured candy.  

He wrapped an arm around my waist, closing the space between us and deepening the kiss. His lips moved against mine in urgency, as if it was my last night in this world. Perhaps I should've been worried, but it felt too thrilling, too exhilarating.  

The sensation was intoxicating and when he finally pulled away, I realised it was also addictive. Embarrassingly, I seemed to be the only one who was left breathless. And worse, my brain was not functioning the way it should.

How was I planning to win a fight like this? In my current state of mind, I wouldn't last five minutes. "I'll see you after the match," I said awkwardly, backing away from Hisoka. I needed to get my shit back together. 

Fortunately, he got the hint and let me go without any hassle. His gaze had softened and his signature teasing smile was back. "Come back to me, Sweetheart," he said with a playful wink, before turning to leave.

Seeing Hisoka return to his usual cocksure self made me feel more at ease. His overflowing confidence as he said his farewell would've normally annoyed me. But right now, I felt reassured that he believed I would make it back to him. 

I watched him calmly walk out, leaving me alone with the company of my own thoughts. As I stared at the spot he had stood a moment ago, I realised I could still taste the lingering sweetness on my own lips.  

Hisoka ~

The moment I left Kira's room, I felt my composure begin to crumble. I prided myself as a performer, but even I could only keep up a facade for so long. 

My heart rate was ridiculously high and I had only recovered just enough for my breathing to even out. This was not normal. The torrent of emotions I was feeling right now was not normal. It was one thing to put on an act for Kira but convincing myself was harder.

As I rounded the corner, it took every ounce of self control not to turn back. A part of me longed to take her away from this arena, far from Azaro and the Mafia, and make her forget about her pointless vengeance. It was a counterproductive idea and I hated myself for it. 

How long can you continue to deny your feelings for her?

No, there were no feelings. There couldn't and shouldn't be any feelings for her. I hadn't felt anything deeper than bloodlust for as long as I could remember and it was in my best interest to keep it that way. 

Casting these foolish thoughts aside, I entered the elevator and headed to the arena. I had to see this fight through. If Kira lost, it would simply mean that she wasn't strong enough. And if that was the case, I should have no hesitance to discard her. 

I made my way through the spectators entrance and found my seat in the stands. Being a seasoned fighter on floor 200 came with the privilege of front row seats to all matches. I had arrived a little late and the commentator had already begun announcing the competitors. 

From the east side of the arena, Azaro entered with a calm stride and cheers erupted from the stands. Although he wasn't doing anything to entertain the audience, it was clear that he was a crowd favourite. 

Despite his age, Azaro was an objectively attractive man with dark disheveled hair, piercing violet eyes and an all around rugged charm about him. Judging from recordings of past matches, his fighting style was similar to Kira's, with the same choice of weaponry and focus on speed and agility. However, the Hound was considerably more sadistic, which I wasn't sure if I respected or despised. 

A moment later, Kira entered. As she walked into the ring, she didn't spare a single glance at the audience or even the referee. Her gaze was focused on her opponent, the man she had longed to kill. In that moment, nothing else mattered.

The referee went through the standard procedure of explaining the rules, though he should've known that it meant nothing to the two fighters. Then the whistle was blown and the match commenced. 

Neither of them took a step. Azaro stood calmly in his place while Kira was too cautious to make a move. Without taking her eyes off her opponent, she reached down and pulled out two daggers from her belt. The ex Shadowbeast simply watched, while his own weapons remained in their sheaths.

"I thought you wanted to kill me," he finally said, voice echoing in the vast space of the arena. Slowly, he took a single step towards Kira. 

She replied calmly. "I intend to take my time."

"But do you have that much time?" Azaro asked, steadily approaching her.

I could tell Kira wanted to step back, but out of pride and determination, she resisted the urge and stood her ground. Instead, she drew a smaller blade and threw it towards her opponent. It stuck into the ground directly in front of him, where he would've taken his next step, and momentarily halted his advance. 

"Is this how you plan on avenging your brother? By throwing flimsy little knives into the ground?" The Hound taunted, bending down and picking up the blade. "I must say I'm a little disappointed. I'm sure he would be too."

The psychological warfare had begun sooner than I had expected. But it shouldn't be enough to affect Kira. Not this time. I had taught her better than that. 

"Your brother used to charge into battle fearlessly, with complete confidence that he'd win." Azaro continued, twirling the knife in his hand. "And look where that got him."

He feigned a sympathetic sigh, but did nothing to conceal the cruelty of his voice. He was baiting her to attack, to abandon all sensibility and rush into action. He wanted Kira to save him the trouble and make herself an easy target. 

Still, she refused to make the first move. However, her stance had shifted towards the defensive, as her eyes warily tracked her opponent. Even the spectators were getting restless from her unusual passivity but she paid them no mind. 

Sensing the change in atmosphere, Azaro smiled menacingly. "But I guess you don't have to worry about that. Because even though you're no longer a little girl... you're still a coward."

As he spat out those words, he flung the knife back at Kira, forcing her to finally react. She didn't seem surprised by the attack and swiftly parried the projectile with her own weapon. But within that short timeframe, her opponent had already charged towards her.

I felt the air seize in my chest as he landed a forceful punch, knocking her back. She had managed to block the brunt of the attack with her arms but it sent her off balance nonetheless. 

Azaro was making it clear: if Kira wasn't bold enough to make the first move, he would. And with that, he would also decide her next move. 

Once he started, there was no stopping. He launched a series of attacks, striking at her with his bare fists and driving her around the arena. But as Kira dodged and swerved, her own knives were ready and I could tell that she was still composed enough to look for opportunities to counterattack. It was a promising start. 

However, Azaro hadn't drawn a weapon yet and that only showed how deadly of a fighter he was. No doubt Kira was aware of it too. But if she could take advantage of it and land a critical hit while he was still confident, she would have a solid chance of winning. 

I watched in anticipation as they exchanged blows, each one aimed to kill. Kira was starting to establish a rhythm, keeping up with Azaro's incredible speed. Her movements were swift and calculated as she danced around the arena. She was dangerously beautiful. 

This definitely wasn't my first time seeing Kira fight, but her performance tonight was astonishing. It reminded me of why I was so attracted to her. The way she twirled gracefully as her daggers cut through the air in deadly arcs was alluring to behold. 

I was almost jealous that I wasn't the one in the ring with her. But I had to be patient and wait my turn. 

Suddenly, the two broke apart, with Kira retreating to the far corner of the ring. She stumbled back, bracing her left shoulder. Only then did I notice the hilt of a knife protruding from it and my blood ran cold at the sight. 

When did Azaro manage to stab her? It had happened so fast that even I had missed it entirely. 

The Hound was now smiling dangerously at Kira from the other side of the arena. "Did that surprise you?"

Azaro had finally drawn his knife and along with it, he had drawn the first blood of the night. 

~~~~

This is one massive chapter. As promised, the romance is escalating and so is the actual plot. I had prolonged this fight for so long but it's about time it happened.

Just a warning, main character plot armour may not apply in this story.

~ krypto

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 186 36
(THE REVISED EDITION OF THIS STORY IS OUT NOW! PLEASE MAKE SURE TO VISIT IT!!!) (THIS IS COMPLETED AND WILL NOT BE RE-EDITED NOR WILL A NEW CHAPTER B...
78K 2.1K 24
Y/n has been an amazing nen user ever since she was 10. When she was 15 she took the hunter exam and passed it easily as a rookie. Now she travels al...
195K 5.3K 35
(Y/n) is an assassin for the (L/n) family. She's gone to participate in the Hunter Exams in an attempt to escape her assassin career. It should be a...
111 8 6
Ash, a teen basically living on her own as her father is constantly leaving for jobs, is always alone. Then one day, she gets invited to watch the ci...