His Daughter

By Evajames3

Scarlett and your dad, Colin have been dating for a while but you've been too scared to meet her since all th... More

Can we go home?
Cuddles
Competitive
Sissy
Morning
New experiences
Eggbits?
Beautiful Family
Snakes are Scary
Too Fast?
Smart Rosie
I love you
and...
Just Carter
Not Fair
Yucky
Special Place
Own Lives
Pure Confirmation
Silly
Tough Secrets
Hard Goodbyes
Sad conversations
A Million Promises
He promised
First Heartbreak
This Moment
Im sorry

I've got you.

2.8K 162 22
By Evajames3

Third Person POV:
Carter awoke several hours later with tired, itchy eyes and an exhaustion that didn't seem to fade. She laid in bed for a few minutes adjusting to her surroundings as the 10 am sun peaked through the curtains. She wasn't sure why she was awake but it seemed as though she couldn't rest peacefully any longer. Peacefully, was the key word.

Slowly, she sat up, looking around her room. The dress from the night before that she was so excited to wear laid on the floor, a series of pillows beside it. Taking notice of her lack of company, she slid out of bed carefully. Walking towards to cracked door, she opened it and continued down the hallway, beginning her descent of the stairs.

Just a few steps in, her Mimi turned the corner of the living room and looked up, not expecting to see her. She, herself, was headed up to check on the young girl.

'Well there you are,' Mimi exclaimed softly,' I was coming to see you.'

Carter didn't say anything, maintaining her quiet demeanor from the night before as she took a few more steps down.

'Good morning, sweetheart.' The woman told her, lifting her into her arms when she paused at the second to last step.

Again, Carter did not respond. She simply moved to lay her head against her Mimi's shoulder while the woman rubbed her back swaying them a little.

'How about some breakfast? You didn't eat dinner last night.' Mimi suggested, more to herself than anyone.

Knowing she wouldn't get anything from the girl, she turned away from the stairs and walked to the kitchen. Unfortunately, this was not the first time she'd been in a situation like this, but it did give her the knowledge she needed to navigate it.

Looking in the cabinet she pulled an old sippy cup of Carter's out. Old wasn't necessarily the best description as the girl had used it on many occasions in the recent months. Nevertheless it was something Carter had owned for a long time, once used to ensure the spill-free drinking of the girl's juice, but now used to combat her lost attention at times like this.

Taking the lid off, the woman filled it with warm water hoping to soothe the girl's throat. It was bound to be sore after the hours of cries throughout the night. Scooping a spoonful of local honey and adding a little lemon juice, she put the lid back on and shook the cup carefully.

'Carter, honey. I've got something to help your throat.' Mimi said to warn the girl's attention.

While it may have failed in attracting willingness, it did get Carter to turn and take the cup. She had done this too many times to refuse. Satisfied with the response, the woman walked to the table where a bowl of dry cereal and some sliced fruit sat waiting. She set Carter down in the chair pushing it closer to the table, and kneeled in front of her to get her attention.

'I know you don't feel like eating but I'd like you to have at least a little bit of your breakfast. While you eat, I'm gonna go pack you bag for the weekend, and I want to come back to see some progress. I'm sure your Mama doesn't want to pick up a little girl that hasn't eaten in a day.' Mimi explained to the girl.

The mention of her Scarly took her notice, as she looked up at the woman in front of her.

'Now, before I go, is there anything specific you want me to pack other than BoBo?' She asked, receiving no response from the young girl.

Sighing, she stood up, walking away to pack a weekend bag just as she had said. Though, truthfully, it was more suited for a week-long trip. She wasn't entirely sure what they'd be doing or if anything could happen that would require so many outfit changes, but she would much rather the girl be prepared than wearing clothes that barely stayed on her body. Even if it was likely, she end up in Scarlett's sweater or hoodie.

Meanwhile, Carter sat at the table picking at the food in front of her. She knew she had to eat something or her Mimi would be very sad. She'd never yell or get upset with her but she always noticed the frowns. Additionally, the thought of disappointing Scarlett terrified her. She was excited to see the woman, well better worded as longing. She didn't want to jeopardize that by upsetting her with not eating her breakfast.

Taking a few bites of the fruit and probably consuming a handful of cereal, she pushed the bowls away. Unsure of how long her Mimi would take she grabbed her cup and left the table for the living room.

Climbing onto the chair nearest the T.V., Carter laid down with her head resting on the armrest. She took small sips of her honey water, unwilling to admit that it was in fact nice, while staring at the black screen of the T.V.

She very easily could've turned it on, the remote sitting in a dish on the coffee table, but she didn't want to. She just needed something to stare at while millions of thoughts raced through her head.

When MiMi finished with the girls bag she carried it downstairs setting in the hallway on her way to the kitchen. Shocked to see the girl's absence from the table, she took a quick look at her breakfast happy to see she'd eaten about a third. It was no secret she'd only given her half of her normal portions though.

Following her best guess, the woman stepped into the living room, unsurprised to find the girl laying the chair by the television. Thinking she just didn't see the remote, the woman moved to turn the T.V. on setting it to some kids channel as a distraction.

With Carter settled, she turned her attention to the few things she needed to do around the house. It was only the sound of knocking on the front door a few minutes later that caught her from continuing. Wiping her hands of the water from doing dishes, she walked through the living room to check on the girl on her way. Carter seemed unfazed, content in her distracted state.

Unlocking and opening the front door, the woman had to hold back a gasp at who stood in front of her.

'What are you doing here?' She questioned, a little more sharp than she intended to come off.

'I came to pick up Carter.' They said as if it was obvious.

The woman, answered in a hushed voice hoping not to disturb the girl in the other room, 'You are not taking her!'

'What are you talking about?! She's my daughter!' They exclaimed.

Mimi looked back at Carter in the living room, pleased to find her attention was still on the show, before turning back to the person in front of her, 'First of all, you will keep your voice down. You don't raise your voice at me and I don't need you causing any problems. Second of all, you have some nerve thinking you can just show up after nothing and take her.'

'It's not after nothing, she's my kid!' They countered in a now hushed tone.

'That may be true, but you have no right after what you pulled.' Mimi sent right back.

'What are you saying then?' They asked.

The woman sighed, 'I'm saying that you need to get your shit together and figure out what the hall you are doing before you drag her along. She deserves someone who wants to spend time with her, someone who puts her first and right now you don't provide either of those.'

They rolled their eyes, 'Look, I didn't mean to do anything, something came up and I had to.'

'Bullshit.' Mimi declared, 'If you wanted to be there for her, you would've explained that you had other priorities. That you had priorities. You didn't and you know it.'

'I'm sorry.' They tried.

' I'm not the main person you should be saying that too.' Mimi continued, 'For Christ's sake, Colin. You didn't answer one call or say anything for 16 hours! Your five year old, let me repeat myself, FIVE year old, sat on the porch waiting for you for three hours until I physically had to bring her inside. Where she then spent the whole night crying and making herself sick because not only did you not show but she had no indication that you were ok.'

'Mom-'

'Don't you dare 'Mom' me. I will not allow you to hurt your daughter any more as long as I can help it, and that means I can't let you take her today.' Mimi finalized.

'Can I at least talk to her then?' He tried.

Shaking her head with anger as she tried to hold it in until a more private time, Mimi had no choice but to let him see her.

'Fine, but if she doesn't want to talk to you or wants you to go you will listen.' She pointed her finger at him. Nodding his head he waited:

Stepping back, the woman allowed him to enter the house, gesturing him to the living room as she headed back ti the kitchen.

Colin walked into the living room, finding Carter in the chairs watching whatever show was on.
Kneeling down in front of her, he blocked the view of the T.V. hoping to get her attention.

'Hey, honey. Can I talk to you?' He started. Carter simply stared at him unsure of how to react. Her mind was torn. As much as she wanted to be happy he was there, she couldn't stop thinking about last night. About every time before too. How he made her feel.

He sighed, 'Ok, well I just want to say I'm sorry and I hope you'll forgive me so we can go home.'

Carter wasn't sure what home really meant. Because as far as she could tell this wasn't her home, but neither was the one he spoke of, so where was it?

She was also blissfully unaware of the way her father seemed to be defying exactly what her Mimi had just told him.

'C'mon Carter, I need you to use your words. You gotta speak to me. You can't just ignore me.' Again, he wasn't listening.

She continued to stare at him.

'Carter, I said I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you. Just speak say something!' He started to get annoyed, but his long night at the office was no excuse.

Carter didn't feel like talking, and especially not to him. She knew she could, but she wasn't sure to who.

'Say something, god dammit.' He raised his voice just enough to where MiMi hadn't noticed yet.

Simultaneously, the doorbell rang. After a moment of seeing if Mimi would get it, he sighed, exasperated, as he stood to get it. Walking to the door he shook his head, annoyed, as he glanced back at Carter.

Turning to open the door, he stood shocked and confused at the person looking back at him.

'What are you doing here?' He asked in full confusion.

'I'm here to get Carter.' They responded equally as shocked to see him.

'Why?' He questioned.

'Because I'm taking her for the weekend.' They said calmly. Though, their internal anger at the man was still there.

'Why?' He pushed again.

'Because Colin, I made a promise that I'd pick her up in the morning if she finally went back to bed after I stayed on the phone with her all night to help her calm down time after time.' They explained.

'Woah, calm down, Scar!' The man said, defensively.

Scarlett sighed, 'Don't tell me to calm down  and don't calm me Scar right now! I'm so sick of you at the moment. You're lucky that I'm letting your mom and Casey deal with the most of your intervention. But now I'm here to get my daughter.'

'Rose isn't here.' Colin argued.

'I'm talking about Carter, so can you move?' Scarlett asked him.

'You can't just take her. She's not your daughter she's mine!'he exclaimed.

'Well right now she's a hell of a lot more mine than she is yours. And your mother and I have decided that it's better if she stays with a caring parent for the weekend. So, Colin, I'm here to get my daughter.' She argued.

'Scarlett-'

Both adults were oblivious to the two approaching them. Mimi had heard the commotion and grabbed Carter's bag heading to the door, while Carter had been pulled from her thoughts at the noise and turned to look. Hearing the familiar voice is what prompted her to approach.

Mimi took notice of the young girl nearing the door and stood back to watch for a moment. As Carter rounded the obstruction of her father's figure in her view, she was able to see the exact person she'd been needing for so long.

'Hi, baby.' Scarlett noticed her moving everyone's attention to the young girl. 

She couldn't stop herself and barely realized as she took off in a full sprint towards the woman pushing past her father to reach he, 'Mama.'

The woman took a step back at the force as tiny arms wrapped as tight as possible around her legs. The three adults all looking at each other in shock.

Scarlett snapped out of her frozen state and moved to lift the girl into her arms, holding her as tight as she needed, 'It's ok, Mama's here. Mommy's got you. I've got you.'

A/N: heyyyy. So it's been a minute just a chill three months right? In all seriousness, I apologize for my extended absence I promise it was unintentional. I never meant to leave for so long but things got crazy busy and I had no motivation or time. Anyways, I hope this was worth the wait.
I can't promise another update soon but with some holiday breaks coming up you never know.
Again, I'm truly sorry. please forgive me. But otherwise let me know how you feel abohtthis and any suggestions or requests you have.
Much love,
EJ <3

Not proof read as always

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

139K 6.5K 28
A story between Scarlett Johansson and Y/N L/N. Y/N is a thirty-five year old actress. She has everything that she ever dreamed of. She's got amazin...
96.4K 3K 79
Leah a 22 year old woman is in hospital with an eating disorder when she is visited by the famous marvel cast. What happens when she forms a bond wit...
81.2K 1.8K 27
Ada Johansson is 17 years old, alone. Everything changes because of that night. Things are different. She's longing for her mother's love. Will she g...
87.5K 2.8K 37
Katie is 18, just graduated, has so many college options but she rather do photography. Only problem is her mother forbids it, among other things. S...