Falling In Manchester

By Sofie_tomlinson28

Harry, nineteen and has just moved away from home to attend the University of Arts, has no idea that much mor... More

Chapter One - Harry
Chapter Two - Louis
Chapter Three - Harry
Chapter Four - Louis
Chapter Five - Harry
Chapter Six - Louis
Chapter Eight - Louis
Chapter Nine - Harry
Chapter Ten - Louis
Chapter Eleven - Harry
Chapter Twelve - Louis
Chapter Thirteen - Harry
Chapter Fourteen - Louis
Chapter Fifteen - Harry
Chapter Sixteen - Louis
Chapter Seventeen - Harry
Chapter Eighteen - Louis
Chapter Nineteen - Harry
Chapter Twenty- Louis
Chapter Twenty-One - Harry
Chapter Twenty-Two - Louis
Chapter Twenty-Three - Harry
Chapter Twenty-Four - Louis
Chapter Twenty-Five - Harry
Chapter Twenty-Six - Louis
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Harry
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Louis
Epilogue - Harry

Chapter Seven - Harry

531 18 13
By Sofie_tomlinson28

I thought this would be the shortest chapter yet, turns out be the longest so far. Enjoy.

- - - 

"Hi, Mom," Harry spoke into the phone. He was sitting on the floor in his room, working on collecting all the pieces for his new dresser correctly—it was not going well. Seconds before his phone had chimed, his mother's face popping up on the screen. Gladly, he had swiped right. Happy to do something else. "How are you?"

"I was calling to ask you the same, and give you some information regarding Christmas."

"Christmast?" Harry asked. "Mom, it hasn't even been Halloween yet. Please don't tell me you have begun decorating—"

"No, don't worry," Anne rushed out, chuckling. "But... Robin and I were thinking of travelling this year. On Christmas, I mean."

"What?" Harry asked, confused. "What about Gemma and I?"

"Gemma was planning on spending Christmas with her boyfriend anyway," Anne said. "And you know Robin and I have wanted to travel during the holidays for years now."

"Yeah, but still," Harry said. "Where does that leave me?"

"Maybe you could celebrate with Niall?" Anne suggested.

"Yeah, maybe." Niall was travelling to Ireland that year for Christmas. "Anyway, I will figure something out. It's great news for you guys, you must be really looking forward to it." Still, he was slightly put down by the news.

"Yes, we do," Anne exhaled. "Anyway, now tell me, how's my favourite son doing?"

"I'm your only son, Mom," Harry pointed out. He moved to sit on his bed, the work of his dresser momentarily forgotten.

"Still favourite," Anne said. "Now tell me."

Harry lay on his back, eyes gazing at the ceiling. "It's going pretty well, actually. School is great, and... I've made friends." He wet his lips, his mind wandering to Louis.

"Any cute boys?" Anne asked, and Harry could practically hear her wriggling her eyebrows through the phone.

Harry groaned, running a palm over his face. "Mom."

"What?" laughed Anne. "You never know."

Harry bit the inside of his cheek, pondering if he should tell his mother about his crush on Louis. He told her almost everything after all. "Well... there is someone."

"Do tell."

"What about no?"

"Come on, just something."

Harry exhaled, his cheeks flaring. "His name... His name is Louis, he is taking the photographers course. He's in his third year, and... he's so, so lovely, Mom."

Anne cooed. "You sound smitten."

"God," Harry groaned.

"Just remember our talk about anal sex, Harry—"

"Mom!"

"I mean it, remember to use condoms, also lube, or else it will hurt really—"

"Mom, I'm not even dating him. I swear to God, I will hang up if you don't stop."

"Alright," chuckled Anne. "Jesus."

"Don't bring Jesus into this. Now, how have you been doing?" Harry asked, hoping to direct the conversation away from his nonexistent sex life.

"Things are going great," Anne said. "Robin works a lot, nothing new there. The cats are fatter than they should be, so everyone is enjoying life."

Harry chuckled. "I miss you."

"You can come visit soon. Actually, let's all get together a weekend now that we won't be spending Christmas together, yeah?"

"I would love that," Harry said, stretching his limbs. "Not the weekend of Halloween, though. Niall is dragging me to a party for the people at the University." Unwelcome memories washed over him from their last party. He swallowed. "It will be... fun." He just hoped that Oliver guy wouldn't show up again.

"You're willingly going to parties?" Anne asked.

"Did you hear the part where I said dragging?"

"I did, but... yeah okay. Will Louis be there, too?"

"Mom."

"Will he?"

"I think so?" It came out as a question.

"How long have you known him?" Anne asked.

"A few weeks," Harry said. "I met him at a Starbucks."

"Is that a romantic meet-up nowadays? You should know, you write about it."

Harry chuckled. "Maybe? Depends on who you ask."

"Do you think he likes you, too?"

"I mean, he's gay," Harry said, "so there's always a chance."

Anne hummed. "I'm happy to hear things are going well, baby. And I'm happy to hear you're happy at school, and hopefully able to be yourself... right?"

"It's not like I walk around with a sign that says I'm a fag, Mom, but yeah, people are all in all pretty accepting."

Anne chuckled. "Alright, that's good. I think I'll hang up now, alright, dear? I have some paperwork to do."

After they had hung up, Harry let out a breath, checking the time. He had a lecture in an hour, and he still had to build his dresser. He groaned.

Seconds later, Niall showed up at his door. "You groaned? What's wrong."

"My mom ghosting me on Christmas and telling me about anal sex is what's wrong," Harry said. "Plus I have that fucking dresser from Ikea that doesn't wanna get built on its own, and I just.... ugh, I miss Louis." He sat up.

"I see," Niall said. "Wait—she told you about anal sex?"

"Yeah," Harry said, letting out a puff of air. "Does she have, like, a sense that her son is a virgin or something?"

"Eh, probably not, but considering you've never had a boyfriend—"

"Wait, do you think that would matter to Louis?" Harry asked. "That I... you know, never have..." He trailed off, gesturing in the air.

"I highly doubt it, Curly," chuckled Niall. "Relax."

"But what if that matters to him," Harry said, his voice an octave higher.

"Why are you thinking about that now?" Niall asked.

"Because... Mom mentioned lube," Harry said, letting his arms fall to the side. "And the fucking dresser doesn't wanna do its dresser job, and... and... I will be spending Christmas alone this year, and... I haven't seen Louis in six days. And I'm a virgin, who likes this... smoking hot boy who probably has a ton of experience with... well, men."

Niall looked like he had a hard time containing his laughter.

"Don't laugh!" Harry said. "I'm spiralling!"

"I figured as much." Niall moved to sit beside Harry on the bed, draping an arm around Harry's shoulders. "Does it help if I tell you I'm sure Louis feels the same way about you?"

"But what if he doesn't—"

"Hush." Niall brought a finger to Harry's lips. "Let the wise man talk."

Harry scoffed.

"That's right." Niall patted Harry's cheek. "Now, I have seen the way Louis looks at you. He looks like a schoolboy with his first-ever crush. He gets all giddy, and his eyes only see you when you're near. It's quite disgusting actually." Niall scrunched up his nose. "And don't worry about the rest. Honestly, Curly, does Louis hit you as a person who would judge you on your sexual experience?"

"Well, no—"

"Exactly. Louis might act immature some of the time, but he has a heart of gold, and so do you. And let me just say, should you end up dating, I'm more than approving of it."

"Awh, Nigel—"

"But let me just say this! Should you end up fucking, please do it when I'm not home, 'cause you're loud. It keeps me awake."

"What?"

"Harry, I can hear you jerk it off sometimes at night. It's traumatising, really. How can one person moan so much?"

Harry's cheeks flared red. "I do not like the conversations I have with people today."

"Well, sucks for you." Niall patted his back. "Now, you have a lecture soon, right? You should probably get dressed. I will work on the dresser while you're gone. You need a place for your clothes that isn't the floor." Niall stood up, smiling down at Harry.

"Thank you, Nigel," Harry gratefully said. "I love you."

"I love ya, too," Niall said. "Also, I'm dead serious about the fucking part."

"God." Harry let himself fall back against the sheets. "Alright. Jesus. I get it."

Niall chuckled as he left the room.

* * *

Harry had his Author's Class that day, a ninety minutes long lecture. Their teacher, Miss Olsen, was teaching them about story built-up, and Harry took notes on his laptop. His fingers were flying over the keyboard, his eyes darting between the screen and Miss Olsen.

Toward the end of class, Miss Olsen asked for everyone's attention. "Also, regarding your current assignment. Remember it has to be delivered in two days and be at least ten pages. Remember to pour everything you have in you into this. I'm using it to get to know your writing style, techniques, you name it. Don't disappoint me. Dismissed."

Harry stood up, pulling his coat on. He stuffed his laptop down his bag, swinging it onto his back. He pulled his headphones out of his ear, connecting them to Bluetooth. With Queen singing about a queen who could kill blasting in his ears, he left the room with the rest of the class.

He pulled out his phone, looking at it as he walked. No new messages from Louis. He frowned, contemplating whether or not to message him when he faintly heard his name being said through his headphones.

He pulled them off, looking in the direction of the voice. It was Louis, walking toward him. He was grinning, his fringe swept to the side. "Hey, Harry."

Harry wet his lips, his heart beating extra fast in his chest. "Hi," he breathed. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, I might be wrong, but ain't this the way to the library?" Louis asked, cocking his head to the side.

"Damn it, I was hoping you were coming to see me," joked Harry.

Louis shrugged. "If I had known you would be here, then maybe, yeah."

"Oh." Harry's cheeks reddened. "Alright."

"Yeah," Louis chuckled, rolling on the soles of his feet. "Um, what are you doing now?"

"I was planning on going home," Harry said. "Why?"

"Well, it was just... maybe you would join me in the library? I have a lecture in an hour, and I wanted to work on the photos I took. You know, edit them and shit. Thought you would maybe wanna see them, you know, well... considering they are you." His cheeks turned red. "God, I ramble a lot. Sorry."

Harry chuckled. "No, it's alright." It's cute.

"Okay." Louis' teeth sunk into his bottom lip, Harry's eyes following the motion.

"Actually, why not? I have to do some finishing touches on my assignment for Author's Class anyway."

"Really?" Louis' face lit up. "Thank you, that's... yeah."

They set course for the library, Louis opening the door for Harry once there. They went down to the back of the room where they had crossed paths weeks ago, settling into the chairs. Both pulled out their laptops. Harry also got out his glasses, perching them on his nose. He only ever seemed to remember to put them on when he was in the library.

"Wanna see the pictures really quickly?" Louis asked. "I have already edited some of them, and I think they have turned out really good."

"Of course." Harry set his laptop aside, moving over to Louis' chair. He crouched beside it, eyeing Louis' screen. Louis' background showed a very barechested Zayn, with a beer balancing on his head.

"When was that?" Harry asked, amused.

"First year in Uni," Louis grinned, clicking on a folder. "Good times. Ah, here we have the photos I have edited so far." He pointed at the first one, and Harry's jaw was close to hitting the floor.

It was a photo of him in the kitchen, cooking the waffles. He was cracking an egg above the bowel, the pictures captured the moment the yolk was halfway to the bowel. Harry's lips were pursed, his brows furrowed. The light was hitting his face perfectly, his eyes sparkling. His skin was amost glowing, a few hairstrands falling from his bun.

"Wow... Louis, damn," Harry said, awestruck.

"Well, it's easy when the model looks like that," Louis said, casting a glance at Harry. "I have worked a bit with the light because the light in the room was really not the best. And I have worked on a lot of minor details."

"It's... damn, Louis," Harry said. "You're really good at Photoshop."

"It's something we focus a lot on in class," Louis said. "Took me a whole year to just be somewhat good, but here we are."

"Are my eyes really that green?" asked Harry.

"Well, because I changed the light so it looks like it hits your face more, I also made your eyes a bit more clear, but yeah, you do have very green eyes."

"Can I see the next one?" asked Harry eagerly.

Louis looked like he was trying to bite back a smile. "Sure."

After, Harry returned to his own seat, pulling his laptop onto his lap. He was just about to get to work when Louis' voice sounded in his ears. Gladly, he turned his attention back to the man.

"You know... now I've shown you my photos. When will I get to see something you've written?"

Harry sucked his bottom lip into his mouth. "Well... you can read some of my assignment?"

"Really?" Louis asked, eyes opening wide in surprise.

"Sure," Harry shrugged. "We just had to write a ten-page short story, with very few requirements. It had to entail a main character written in first person about something relatable. Um, yeah." He furrowed his eyebrows. "Such few requirements, but yet so hard, you know? What's relatable, and something you still wanna share with your teacher?"

"Do you wanna share it with me?" asked Louis.

"I think that you of all people would be able to relate to it," Harry said.

"What's it about?"

"Well, I am writing about being a queer person in society, and how growing up with that has been like. It's mixed with fiction, but also many of the moments are taken from my own reality. It basically starts out with this closeted teenager who doesn't know how to express himself, and the story ends in his early twenties when he has begun to accept himself for who he is. There's of course more to it, but... yeah. That's what it's about over all."

"Sounds really good," Louis said. "Was... was that how it was for you?"

Harry tilted his head to the side, pondering. "I wouldn't say I ever had a problem accepting myself. Yes, at times I wished I could just have a crush on a girl, that's true, but I never felt like it was wrong, you know? My Mom always told me that I could love whoever I want, and already at age twelve I knew I was gay. What I did have a problem with was when I came out to my school, everyone turned their back on me, except Niall, and turned to bullying. I had a problem with them not being able to accept me, not the other way around."

A frown showed on Louis' face. "I'm sorry you had to experience that."

Harry shrugged. "That's life. What about you?"

"What about me?"

"Your coming out experience, I mean."

"Oh, well." Louis let out a puff of air. "It wasn't really dramatic or anything." He chuckled lowly. "My sisters, the oldest of them, were discussing which guy was the fittest from this show they were watching. And then, without thinking really, I just said, 'You're both wrong, it's the guy who plays that character.' I don't remember what show it was, but the silence that fell around the dinner table was immediate, and when I realised what I had said it just, like... yeah. Then I just said it, 'Yeah, guys, I should probably mention I'm gay.' They had nothing against it, and I quite frankly think my mom knew all along, it just came as a shock when I said it right then and there."

Harry laughed lowly. "Damn. Why can I imagine it so well?"

"I'm an amazing story teller."

"That you are," Harry admitted. "Now, wanna read? Just some of the pages, there are fifteen and I need to edit. You can read the rest at a later time if you'd like."

"I would love to." Louis stood up, walking over to Harry's chair. Harry handed him the laptop. Their fingers brushed slightly. "Thank you. I'll be quick."

"Take your time," grinned Harry.

As Louis sat and read, Harry couldn't help but feel slightly anxious. He had never sat in the room while people read what he had written. He tried to distract himself with his phone. His sister had sent him a message.

Annoying Rat (Gemma): So... Louis?

Harry cursed silently. Mom. He ignored the message for now, because just then, Louis handed his laptop back.

"Remind me when you become an author, Harry. I will be first in line to buy your book. Because damn, that was good." He grinned broadly, making Harry's insides flutter.

"Thank you."

"Really, Harry. Just from I read, you manage to make the characters feel real, vibrant. And you got me invested like this." He snapped his fingers. "I can't wait to read the rest."

Harry's cheeks turned crimson. "Thank you," he said again, this time much softer.

The rest of the time leading up to Louis' lecture, they spend working on their own assignments. They didn't say anything, but it was a comfortable silence. Once Louis stood up, Harry even felt sad, he wanted to enjoy the peace for a bit longer.

"I have to go now," Louis said. "Do you wanna stay here, or do you wanna head out with me?"

"I think I'll head out with you," Harry said, putting his stuff back in his bag. He stood up. "Being here alone is quite boring."

Louis smiled softly. "Alright."

They followed each other out the library, stopping outside.

"I'm going that way," Harry said, gesturing in the opposite direction to Louis. "So... goodbye?"

"Actually," Louis rushed out. "I was planning to ask you something, and I have to do it before I loose my courage."

The breath got punched out of Harry's lungs by an invisible force. "Oh?"

"I was wondering..." Louis fiddled with the hem of his shirt, looking everywhere else than Harry's face. "If you'd like to, you know, well... God, why's this so hard?"

"That's what she said."

Louis stuttered out a laugh, his eyes crinkling. "What I was planning on saying, asking... For fucks sake." He groaned, face palming. "Do you wanna go on a date with me?"

Oh.

Oh.

Harry's whole body buzzed with what seemed to be pure surprise and happiness. "Really?" he asked, perplexed.

"Well, yes. That's why I asked," Louis said, wetting his lips nervously. "So... do you?"

Harry couldn't contain his smile. "I would love to, yeah."

"Oh." Louis let out a relieved breath. "Alright. Nice. Good. Cool. Great."

"Yeah."

For a few seconds they just looked at each other, both sharing equally big smiles.

"You should probably get to your lecture," Harry said. "But text me, yeah? Regarding this date."

"Yeah, I will," Louis said, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "I so, so will."

"Good."

* * *

"Niall!" Harry yelled loudly as he entered the apartment. "He asked me out!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

318 3 1
For their 18th birthday, every person receives a letter that reads a simple date. That is the date you'll meet your soulmate. Harry and Louis have di...
10.9K 471 62
Louis Deakin (Tomlinson) attends a university and he is forced to move in with a strange boy, named Harry Styles. There are two things you should kno...
10.7K 307 14
@LillianBoggart thank you for the prompt! Harry is 17 in school and Louis is 21 and an aspiring writer Harry and Louis have been dating for a year b...
96 9 10
Louis and Harry look back at all their memories about how they got together and moments that are special to their heart. They have already finished s...