invisible string | s. uley โœ“

By theilliterateironman

"๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐๐จ๐ง'๐ญ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐ฐ๐ก๐ž๐ง ๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ฅ๐ ๐ฐ๐š๐ซ ๐ญ๐ฐ๐จ ๐ฌ๐ญ๐š๐ซ๐ญ๐ž๐? ๐๐ข๐๐ง'๐ญ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ฏ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก... More

playlist
cast
1 | the cullens
2 | blueberry muffins
3 | the imprint
4 | valeria alvarez
5 | confused
6 | monopoly
7 | master of love
8 | dress shopping
9 | kiss goodnight
10 | switzerland
11 | graduation
12 | fight club
13 | pessimist
14 | flame on
15 | i love you
16 | out a window
17 | clearwater supremacist
18 | attentive
19 | sister
20 | kill the vibe
21 | void treaty
22 | want
23 | witnesses
24 | pre-battle bonfire
26 | there's a place
the end

25 | i'm sorry

10.4K 727 199
By theilliterateironman

The last time Valeria had seen Raphael Alvarez, he was slamming his bedroom door in her face and telling her to 'fuck off' after she'd asked for a ride to her friend Allison's house. An hour later, Emmett was stumbling across her dying body in an alleyway that she'd taken as a shortcut.

And though the young boy didn't like his sister very much, he knew her death was his fault. If only he'd given her a ride to her stupid friend's house. But no, she was gone, and so was the weird fucking Cullen family that he'd hated since the moment they moved to school, thinking they were too good for everyone.

After graduation, Raphael couldn't stand to be at home, not with his parents who were still mourning the loss of his twin. He couldn't exist in that house that was just a constant reminder of Valeria, and so he left and returned home to San Juan.

That had been a mistake in more ways than one. If he thought being with his parents reminded him of his sister, then going to the place they'd grown up together was a million times worse. Every day, he'd have to walk the streets, remembering how they used to play with their dogs and run from their father after pulling tricks on him. And it certainly didn't help that there was a vampire going on a rampage and turning people needlessly at every corner.

The Volturi had to step in, killing all the newborns that were running amuck in the city. Though the blonde king that'd come to end them was surprised when he found Raphael, who fought back valiantly against the warrior. So, Caius kept him alive and brought him to Italy. It was Aro who discovered his ability to amplify other vampires' gifts through physical touch, and it was Marcus who could see the bonds connecting him to his sister, which is how he learned Valeria was alive.

And now here he stood, across the clearing from his twin who didn't look at day over eighteen, preserved exactly as she'd been before she died and disappeared. Except for the eerie golden eyes that made Raphael frown — he'd at least gotten used to his own red ones and thought they were normal now.

"Raph?" Valeria whispered again, blinking repeatedly as if she was expecting her brother to disappear. "Wh - what are you? How?"

"What?" he asked with a smirk. "You can't be the only vampire in the family? You're not that special, Ria."

"Come on," Edward said, leading Valeria back to Bella and Renesmee's side. "He's part of the guard now, Val. Nothing can be done."

Valeria looked at him with hurt in her eyes. "You knew." It wasn't a question. He'd obviously seen Raphael in Jane's mind back when they were facing the newborn army.

"I did," he said somberly. "I thought it best you didn't know."

"You don't decide what's best for me!" she hissed before stepping to the side, not wanting to be next to Edward. All she could do was look at Raphael's menacing figure across the clearing.

Even still as the wolf packs emerged from the woods, Valeria couldn't look away from her brother. Not even when her mate's imposing form moved beside her, his fur brushing her side. And their arrival at least made the other vampires hesitate, not expecting the giant wolves to be there. Caius looked ready to crawl out of his skin.

It was Carlisle who broke the tense silence, stepping forward and speaking at a normal level, knowing he didn't have to shout as they all had enhanced hearing. "Aro, let us discuss things as we used to. In a civilized manner."

"Fair words, Carlisle. But a little out of place, given the battalion you've assembled against us," he replied, eyeing the wolves uneasily. He knew Caius in particular was enraged by their alliance. Nor did he like how Valeria was clinging to one of them, as she could easily be one of the most powerful vampires in existence.

"I can promise you that was never my intent. No laws have been broken," Carlisle insisted.

"We see the child. Do not treat us as fools!" Caius snapped, his eyes on Renesmee, who was clinging to Bella.

"She is not an lmmortal! These witnesses can attest to that. Or you can look. See the flush of human blood in her cheeks."

"Artifice!" Caius shouted, making Valeria frown. What? Did he think they smeared blush on her skin and thought that it would be enough to fool them?

Aro raised his hand to silence his brother. "I will collect every facet of the truth. But from someone more central to the story. Edward, as the child clings to your newborn mate, I assume you are involved."

Edward looked uneasily toward Bella before leaving their sides. He walked with purpose toward Aro, who eagerly took Edward's hand, using his powers to read all of his thoughts. When he was done looking through Edward's mind, Aro's eyes fell on Renesmee excitedly. "I'd like to meet her."

Edward stiffly turned and looked at them, nodding his head. Bella, Renesmee, and Jacob made their way over, and after Bella looked at Emmett, he accompanied them, which made Rosalie worry.

"Ah. Young Bella. Immortality becomes you," Aro complimented. Then he looked to Nessie and let out a mix between a laugh and a shriek, taking in her odd features and characteristics. "I hear her strange heart."

Aro then held out his hand, and Nessie walked closer. But she wasn't going to let him have her hand. "Hello, Aro," she said in a soft tone. She surprised him by ignoring his hand and placing her small one on his cheek, using her powers to show him all of her memories. It was clear the ancient vampire was transfixed by what he saw.

"Magnifico!" he exclaimed before facing his coven. "Half mortal, half immortal. Conceived and carried by this newborn while she was still human."

"Impossible!" Caius snapped angrily.

Aro looked at him sharply. "Do you think they fooled me, brother?" he asked challengingly, which silenced him.

Caius clenched his jaw angrily as the others then began walking back to the other side. "Bring the informer forward." Demetri and Felix shoved Irina to the front of the group, and it was clear things weren't going to end well for her. "Is that the child you saw?"

Irina glanced nervously at Renesmee. "I'm not sure."

"Jane."

Before she could use her power, Irina was speaking, her voice trembling. "She's changed. This child is bigger."

"Then your allegations were false," Caius accused.

"The Cullens are innocent. I take full responsibility for my mistake," Irina said with a frown. "I'm sorry." The guards were on her in an instant, her execution imminent.

"Caius, no!" Edward shouted helplessly as Caius tore Irina's head off and another set fire to her body.

"Irina!" Tanya screamed, both her and Kate running forward to attack Caius and the army.

Garrett quickly got a hold of Kate, who used her powers to electrocute him, but he wouldn't let go. Emmett and Eleazar held Tanya back, who was fighting violently against them.

"Blind them," Edward ordered Zafrina, who did as such. Without their sight, the two had to cease their attacks, not aware of their surroundings.

"Give me my sight back," Tanya muttered, shaking with anger.

"Tanya, this is what they want. If you attack now, we'll all die," Edward told her.

With a defeated huff, both Kate and Tanya gave up, and Edward nodded to Zafrina, who returned their sight. Then without being ordered, Jane set her sights on Edward after receiving a look from Aro.

"Pain."

Edward dropped to his knees, a scream stuck in his throat. But then before their very eyes, it faded and he was able to stand. Valeria smiled at Bella, realizing she was extending her shield to him. In a panic, Jane tried to focus her power on others, only to find Bella was protecting all of them.

"It's working," Edward said, reaching for Bella's hand, who smirked at Jane.

She stepped forward threateningly to attack Bella, but he brother kept her back. Then Raphael came over to Jane and touched her hand, amplifying her power. For a moment, Bella cringed, the weight on her abilities being pressed, but she still kept her shield up. For just a moment, she could swear she felt the pain caused by Jane despite her shield abilities.

"Cut it out, Raph!" Valeria snapped, finally finding her voice. She stepped forward angrily, reminded of all the petty fights she'd get into with him growing up. "You don't always have to encourage everyone to be the fucking worst version of themselves."

"Says the one that literally copies everyone in her life because she doesn't have a fucking personality," he shot back, which made Sam growl protectively. "Ooh, your pet didn't like that."

"Now, now, dear Raphael," Aro said, holding his hand up to silence him. "That is no way to speak to family. We have heard so much about you, Valeria. I would love to meet you."

Valeria swallowed thickly before crossing the clearing, Sam walking in step with her. And a moment later, Carlisle followed to protect his daughter. Much to her surprise, Aro held out his hand for her when she reached them, and Valeria shook her head.

"I've touched Bella, and you know from Irina what I can do," she said, looking at her cousin's burning corpse. "I think we'd both prefer I don't touch you."

"And yet I'm still so curious," he admitted. Then his eyes fell on Raphael. "Your brother has been a great asset to our guard. I'm sure he'd love to have his dear sister amongst him each day."

"No, thank you," Valeria said stiffly. "I have no interest in being a member of your guard or in gaining more gifts than the four I already have. That's too much power for my taste, and you wouldn't find me very useful."

Aro hummed, studying her intently. "Yes, too much power," he mused. "That is the problem, is it not? I only offer you a position so that we may keep an eye on you. It is concerning that one could potentially wield all the powers of countless vampires combined. What if you were to slip? To lose control and expose yourself to the humans."

"Well, I've done quite a good job of that so far," she said tensely, beginning to shake a little. Why was he twisting his words? Making it sound like she would break a law in the future? "And that's another reason you wouldn't want me around my brother. One wouldn't want to amplify what I already have."

"And there's that curiosity again," Aro mused. "Surely, you must wonder what it's like when you make contact with your brother."

Valeria looked to Raphael, not wanting at all to replicate his amplifier ability. "We were never very affectionate growing up," she said in a stiff tone, trying to avoid whatever it was that Aro wanted from him. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be going back to my family. My innocent family."

"Ria, I'm your family," Raphael said, glaring at Carlisle over her shoulder. "You belong with me."

"No, I belong with the Cullens and with my mate!" she snapped, matching his spiteful glare as she stepped forward threateningly. "You don't get to choose today of all days to start caring about me."

"I've always fucking cared about you!" he exclaimed, getting face to face with her angrily. "Why do you think I'm here? It's my fault you're like this, Ria. It's my fault we were separated. Now I'm bringing you back home with me."

"I'm not going anywhere with you, assface!" she said, her old nickname slipping out. "I'll never join you or the Volturi, and you can't make me. Unless you've already forgotten what my power is, no one can make me do anything anymore. Not you, not Jane, and not your little Masters. For the first time, I'm not the weak twin, Raph, you are. And you don't have any power over me."

It was subtle as Aro caught Raphael's eye and nodded. Valeria didn't see it as she turned on her heel to leave her brother's side.

"Then I'm sorry to do this," Raphael said before grabbing her.

As soon as his hands wrapped around her wrists, Valeria froze, her body overwhelmed with a hundred different feelings. All of it — every single emotion that was being felt by the surrounding vampires and wolves — beat against her chest. All the worry and fear and anger that was brewing inside of everyone.

Then the ground began to shake, the snow melting around her as heat emanated from her. The wind picked up speed, so forceful that Renesmee had to bend down and grip Jacob's fur tightly to not fall off his back.

And Edward found he couldn't read a single mind in the vicinity, Valeria's shield projecting onto everyone without her even meaning to as Raphael amplified all of her abilities at once.

Sam growled and lunged at Raphael, only for four guards to hold him back.

Then Valeria began to scream as Raphael focused his abilities, seeking out the most important of her gifts. The burning in her throat that'd been gone for so long returned, and in an instant, her eyes fell on Nessie, picking up on the scent of her blood in seconds. It didn't matter that it wasn't particularly appetizing — it was still better than an animal.

But before she could rip herself from her brother's arms to attack the child and have her first real meal, her brother dug deeper. Suddenly, it felt like she was suffocating as she dropped to the snow, her brother letting her go. Her head ached as she curled in on herself, it feeling like her veins were on fire — it felt like she was going through her transition all over again.

Valeria couldn't take in a breath as she clawed at the ground, writhing in pain. Sam threw the vampires off of him and moved to her side, kneeling before her. He whined and nudged her head with his snout, wishing more than anything that he could take her pain.

Within seconds, Valeria's screams ceased, and the most unlikeliest of things were heard.

A heartbeat. Blood weakly pumping through veins. Shaky and shallow breaths being taken in for the first time in three years.

Valeria was cold — she was fucking cold. That was her first thought, as she opened her eyes. And then she took in a deep breath that made her lungs burn. But then she felt the warmth rolling off the wolf in front of her.

Sam was shaking, not sure exactly what had just happened. But then his girl was looking up at him with terrified, brown eyes and cheeks tinted with pink from the cold weather.

"Sam?" she asked, not sure what was wrong with her. She tried to stand but found that her legs were weak. When she stumbled, Sam was right there to catch her.

Tears welled in Valeria's eyes and they spilled over, falling into the snow as she cried. She brought a shaky hand to her chest, it still feeling like it was on fire as her heart began beating consistently again.

"Oh, my god," Carlisle breathed out, the first to realize what had happened. His eyes traveled to Raphael in awe of what he'd done. He wasn't the only one looking at him like he was some kind of deity. "You amplified her humanity."

Even the Volturi were looking at Valeria with dazed expressions. Aro didn't know exactly what would happen when Raphael grabbed his sister, but this certainly hadn't been what he was expecting. None of them expected for a very human Valeria to be kneeling in the snow before them with warm blood pumping through her veins.

Carlisle was the first to truly react, kneeling by Valeria's side. "Honey," he said gently, guiding her face so that he could look at her eyes. "What are you feeling right now?"

Her chin wobbled as more tears fell. "It burns," she said, choking on her words. "Everything hurts."

He nodded before carefully lifting her and placing her on Sam's back, who instantly ran back to their side of the clearing. In an instant, everyone crowded around Valeria to look at her with their own eyes, smelling her blood and seeing her human eyes. But that was before she collapsed on Sam's back, falling unconscious. Emmett remained by the wolf's side with a hand on her back, making sure she didn't fall off.

"Did you know?" Carlisle asked Raphael, who was the only one that didn't look surprised.

"I suspected," he said tensely. "A vampire with the kind of power my sister had — that's an abomination. A threat to us all, especially when wielded by someone as impulsive as my sister."

"You couldn't control her, so you took away her power altogether!" Edward spat from across the field, looking into Raphael's mind. "You have no idea the lasting effects this could have on her — not that you care. Not that you plan to stick around in her life long enough to see for yourself."

"At least I'll know she's no longer a part of your wretched coven," he sneered. "I've done her a service. I'm keeping her away from your demon child."

"No," Carlisle said, trying to find reason. "Aro, you see there's no law broken here. Your guard has already attacked my family unprompeted."

"Agreed," Aro said before finding a new angle. He wasn't going to leave a defeated man and without Valeria and Alice — though Valeria was particularly useless now. "But does it then follow that there is no danger? For the first time in our history, humans pose a threat to our kind. Their modern technology has given birth to weapons that could destroy us. Maintaining our secret has never been more imperative. In such perilous times, only the known is safe. Only the known is tolerable. And we know nothing of what this child will become. Can we live with such uncertainty? Spare ourselves a fight today, only to die tomorrow."

Many of the Volturi witnesses hummed in agreement, but it faded when two figures emerged from the nearby woods, walking with purpose toward the Volturi. Aro let out an excited laugh, realizing as they all had that it was Alice and Jasper, who'd finally returned after running.

"Alice!" Aro exclaimed with delight.

Jasper hesitated when they passed their coven, seeing Valeria's form passed out on Sam's back. They'd just arrived, so he missed the miracle that was her returning human, but he could clearly hear the weak beating of her heart. It was Alice who pulled him along, walking toward the army, where two guards restrained them.

"My dear, dear Alice, we're so glad to see you here, after all," Aro told her.

"I have evidence the child won't be a risk to our kind," Alice said, keeping her head held high. Aro just eyed her suspiciously. "Let me show you."

Always so desperate to see the future, Aro eagerly gestured for his guards to release her. Caius tried to sway him against his, but Aro wouldn't hear it as he took Alice's hands and searched her thoughts.

In an instant, Aro flinched as the vision flashed before his eyes, looking at Alice in horror. She just squared her shoulders, daring him to not change his mind as she dropped his hand. "Now you know. That's your future. Unless you decide on another course."

Aro nervously glanced around the would-be-battlefield, his eyes falling on Sam, who would be the one to kill a large portion of his guard, and then at Bella, who would be his own end. Having not seen the vision of his own death at the hands of the Denali coven, Caius spoke out.

"We cannot alter our course. The child still poses a grave threat."

"But what if you were sure she could remain concealed from the human world?" Edward suddenly asked, looking into Alice's mind. "Could we leave in peace?"

"Of course," Caius scoffed. "But that cannot be known."

Edward smirked to himself. "Actually, it can."

All of them watched as two more people emerged from the woods, walking slowly and purposefully until they reached Alice's side. While the woman was clearly a vampire, the man had a strange heartbeat just like Renesmee. "I've been searching for witnesses of my own among the Ticuna tribes of Brazil," she explained.

Caius rolled his eyes. "We have enough witnesses."

Aro shook his head. "Let him speak, brother."

The man, Nahuel, spoke, gaining all their attention. "I am half human, half vampire. Like the child. A vampire seduced my mother, who died giving birth to me. My aunt Huilen raised me as her own. I made her immortal."

"How old are you?" Bella asked anxiously.

He looked back at her. "A hundred and fifty years." Bella and Edward sighed in relief, realizing they'd have forever with their daughter after all.

"At what age did you reach maturity?" Aro questioned.

"I became full-grown seven years after my birth," he explained. "I have not changed since then."

"And your diet?"

"Blood, human food. I can survive on either."

For the first time, Marcus spoke. "These children are much like us."

"Regardless, the Cullens have been consorting with werewolves. Our natural enemies," Caius said, glaring in particular at Sam, who just growled at him.

"Dear ones," Aro said, facing his army, "there is no danger here. We will not fight today."

Some of the Volturi looked quite disappointed — so did the Romanians, to be honest — but they all listened to Aro and quickly left the clearing. Jane sneered at Bella before disappearing. Aro looked back between Alice and Bella, no doubt thinking of how powerful they were. Then his eyes fell on Valeria, who had yet to move since passing out, knowing they'd have to check in on her sometime soon. He did hate that a gift like hers was wasted.

"Such a prize," he muttered before leaving with the others.

Raphael was the last to leave, and for just a moment, Edward caught a genuine thought that ran through his mind. He saw all the guilt he'd been feeling over Valeria's death, which was now eased with her newly-made human status. He now felt like he could leave her to live her life.

As he disappeared with the others, everyone else rejoiced. Though Vladimir and Stefan were displeased. "We have them on the run. Now is the time to attack!"

"Not today," Carlisle told them, holding Esme to his side.

"You're all fools!" Stefan exclaimed. "The Volturi might be gone. But they will never forgive what happened here. Why not kill them now when you have a beast at your disposal?"

Most everyone ignored the Romanians, who ran off after their enemies, which was pointless. As loved ones embraced and celebrated, the Cullens and wolves all moved to Sam's side, looking at Valeria's still form.

"I need to get her to my office," Carlisle said, feeling her weak pulse. "There's no telling what her body is going through right now."

"But she's human?" Rosalie asked, raising a curious eyebrow. Tears welled in her own eyes, realizing what this could mean for Valeria.

"It appears so. I don't know if she'll remain so," he said.

"I stopped seeing her future the moment her brother decided to do this to her," Alice admitted with a frown. It was almost like Valeria was dead, no longer on her radar at all.

Carlisle then removed his jacket and wrapped it around Valeria before also gesturing for Emmett to do the same. "Her lips are turning blue. Sam, you'll keep her the warmest until we get back to the house. But we won't have answers until she wakes. We have to hurry."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.3K 899 18
[ O N H O L D ] โ ๐ฏ๐š๐—บ๐ฉ๐ข๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ? ๐ฐ๐—ผ๐ฅ๐ฏ๐ž๐ฌ? ๐ก๐—ผ๐ฐ ๐ฌ ๐š๐ง๐ฒ ๐—ผ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ฉ๐—ผ๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ข๐›๐ฅ๐ž! ๐ฅ๐š๐ฌ๐ญ ๐ฐ๐ž๐ž๐ค ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐œ๐ซ๐š๐ณ๐ข๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๏ฟฝ...
44.8K 976 13
When Jacob's younger twin brother is forced to return home to Forks after his first shift, he has to learn how to not only control the wolf, but his...
37.2K 1.1K 15
๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ a hotheaded shapeshifter imprints on Bella Swan's sister. TW: LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE A/N: I do not own the twilight series or characters...
70.3K 3.2K 34
โ•ฐโ”ˆโžค *โ‹†โ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ'๐ซ๐ž ๐ฅ๐จ๐จ๐ค๐ข๐ง๐  ๐š๐ญ ๐ฆ๐ž ๐ฅ๐ข๐ค๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐  ๐š๐›๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ฆ๐ž ๐ฐ๐ก๐ข๐œ๐ก ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ฌ๐จ ๐ง๐จ๐ญ ๐Ÿ๐š๐ข๐ซ... ๏ฟฝ...