The Villainess Doesn't Want T...

By skydrangea

Reina Cedenio lived a miserable life in the past. When she died, she found herself being transmigrated inside... More

Prologue
Chapter I: The Faraway Land Part 1
Chapter I: The Faraway Land Part 2
Chapter I: The Faraway Land Part 3
Chapter II: The Empty Vessel Part 1
Chapter II: The Empty Vessel Part 2
Chapter II: The Empty Vessel Part 3
Chapter III: The Perfect Pair Part 1
Chapter III: The Perfect Pair Part 2
Chapter III: The Perfect Pair Part 3
Chapter IV: The White Flower Part 1
Chapter IV: The White Flower Part 2
Chapter IV: The White Flower Part 3
Chapter V: The Sacrificial Lamb Part 1
Chapter V: The Sacrificial Lamb Part 3
Chapter VI: The Louvern Castle Part 1
Chapter VI: The Louvern Castle Part 2
Chapter VI: The Louvern Castle Part 3
A/N
Chapter VII: The Cursed Prince Part 1
Chapter VII: The Cursed Prince Part 2
Chapter VII: The Cursed Prince Part 3
Chapter VIII: The Winter Fruit Part 1
Chapter VIII: The Winter Fruit Part 2
Chapter VIII: The Winter Fruit Part 3

Chapter V: The Sacrificial Lamb Part 2

752 37 2
By skydrangea

Afternoon came, Zenia Strauss, who served for almost a decade in House Belfford and found a lover in their town, had to make her final farewell to everyone. Reina was cosplaying waterfalls the whole time and she didn't wanna lose her grip on her ex-maid's hands. In the end, she hugged her tightly and wished her a blissful marriage before she sent her off.

When the night came and they already had their supper, Reina braced herself with enough courage. She had lost the energy earlier when she was seeing her ex-maid off but there was no time to sulk over it for she had an important matter to focus on. Holding the black-colored fabric that she had been hiding under her bed until now, she pulled a deep breath and knocked at the office of the marquis who was still working even at night.

She heard from her father that there would be a meeting together with the other members of the aristocrat faction tomorrow. The topic would be about the second prince but she was sure her father would bring up the matter of the marriage proposal to the table. It would be good if she could go with him.

"You can't," the marquis quickly answered while his eyes were still fixated on the documents he's working on. "You're already at the right age but you're still not allowed to join a meeting for elders' talk. Now, go back to your room and let me handle this matter."

"I'm taking the proposal," she boldly proclaimed that finally made him look at her. "I have decided to live with the prince in the Louvern Castle."

"What? Are you out of your mind?" Marquis Belfford raised his voice. He frowned and massaged the side of his forehead. He's not in the good mood but she's not gonna give up either.

"You knew our family is a valuable support to House Scarlett and marrying Prince Darius would only meant betrayal, right? I thought we've discussed about this already?"

"I'm not marrying him. I said, I will only live with him in the Louvern Castle," she boldly stated and she's turning up the volume of her voice, loud and clear enough to be heard by the marquis.

"Did you hear what you were saying?" He shook his head as he covered his face with his palm and pulled a sigh. It was long and deep, a sign of being so drawn with so many problems. It sounded like bad news to his health and she didn't want him to think about the problem anymore. To end this all, she must agree with the prince and avoid the tragic incident.

"Clarish, have you thought about it seriously? This is the first prince we are talking about. He's the same prince who has a deadly cursed on him. Do you understand what I mean? So before I get mad at you, leave this room for good."

It was a firm order with a pinch of scolding from the head of the house but she's not gonna give up.

"You mean the curse that the House Scarlett planted on the first prince during his coming-of-age ceremony," her voice became cold as her expression darkened. The marquis' eyes went large, his face went pale.

"What are you saying?"

"You knew what I meant, father. You have been keeping that secret from us for six years. Don't you think it's about time to confess your sin and do the right thing?"

In the original story, Clarish found about the truth when she visited the Scarlett Mansion with her father. She eavesdropped in the meeting of the elders and that supposed meeting should still gonna happen in the future. Reina doesn't know how will she explain it to her father but it's the only thing she could use as a trump card to win her father over.

"I don't know how you've figured it out but what you said is true," the marquis finally confessed as if there's a thorn that had been taken from his throat. "I didn't want it to happen either but I couldn't do anything about it. I was afraid. That's why, Clarish, you have to keep your mouth shut and not tell anyone about it or else-"

"Father..." she tapped her father's shoulder and gave a reassuring smile. "You don't have to worry about it. I'm not here to judge you. I'm here to help you on the things that you've been carrying yourself."

"What will you do?"

"The emperor's health had been on a decline and now that the next on the line for the throne isn't the first prince, the House Marqaux will probably declare a war. Our family's army is on the front line, you must be thinking of a tactic on how to defeat the opponent. However, you also knew we don't stand a chance against the Marqaux. Even if the Scarlett faction doesn't stand a chance against them." She stopped and heaved a sigh. "How about I tell you that there is an easiest way to subdue a war without shedding any blood? We will aim for him, the cursed prince."

He stared straight to her eyes and she knew he had already figured out what she meant when she said she's gonna live with the first prince in the Louvern Castle. Instead of saying another word, she put the clothing on the top of his desk. It was the cloak of the first prince and there was royal insignia embroidered on it which surely the marquis was familiar with.

"This may sound difficult to analyze but we've already seen each other for a few times. We also met that night during the coming-of-age ceremony. I don't know what he's up to but he doesn't seem to be kidding about his marriage proposal. I'm afraid he will only make things worse when we fail to oblige to his desire but instead of submitting to him easily, we must take advantage of it for our own benefits too. Isn't that great, father?"

There was a noticeable shock registered on the rather pale complexion of the Marquis. He was speechless and she knew for sure he would be because there was never a time he discussed the matter with them, even with the Marchioness and she was not sure if Jefferson already knew about this. He had been carrying it all by himself.

"Of course, I'm not gonna marry him. As if I could do that," she added with a smug face. She's not gonna tie herself to a beast forever, she will only watch him from a closer range. Just like in a storm, you have to monitor its eye and Prince Darius was the center of this all.

"Father, will you trust me?"

It's a backhanded question. She's having trouble trusting herself either but she has to do it anyway. She was not sure if the cursed prince would play along with her game but if she used her cards well, it would turn out just fine.

The Marquis was drawn in deep thoughts. He then furrowed his brows and looked up again at her with such a pale face. As if he had imagined an image of a ghost.

"He's a war genius, this must be some kind of his strategic plan." The bothered man lowered his face as he covered his head with his trembling hands. "He's making you as his hostage. Of all people, why does it have to be you?"

Reina also thought of it. What if the prince only wanted to use her as bait to lure the opponent? What if he's only lying when he says he's not interested in the tension between the two bloodlines? But she can't turn back now, can she? Even if it was hard, she still has to do it. Besides, the table could be flipped backwards and she could be the one holding the prince's head if things went well according to her plan.

"We're not sure about that. That's why you have to bring me along with you and let me join the discussion. The other houses might have a better suggestion with it that could help us on this."

The Marquis, who had lost his energy to converse with her only sighed. He couldn't believe that his dear daughter had been targeted by the cursed prince and that she had to be tangled in this charade.

He looked at her face once again and there was no hint of fear in her. For some reason, he felt assured and the burden in his chest suddenly faded.

"Thank you, father. I'll be leaving now."

o o o

The Scarlett's mansion, just like what had been described in the book, was rather a large estate with a garden of red roses in the front yard. They would look beautiful if only they were in full bloom. Then there was a majestic fountain, an angel holding a harp was at the center of it. The exterior itself was quite a sight and everything on the inside was lavishly designed. She held tight to the Marquis' arm as they proceeded to the private room, where the meeting would commence. Everyone in the room inappropriately watched her as she took a seat beside her father.

"What are you doing, bringing a child with you Marquis Belfford? I would understand if it's the eldest son but of all your children, why bring a girl who, unfortunately, had not been gifted?" Marquis Lucrene, the fat old man with a curly mustache, broke the silence. She held his father's hand and smiled, trying to calm him and stop him from anything he was about to say.

Marquis Scarlett arrived together with the other noble elders and then they began to discuss the matter at hand. There were thirteen participants of the houses here. Including her would make it fourteen people in the room. There were times when the elders looked in her direction and the only thing she could do was to avoid their gaze. Marquis Scarlett also made some stolen glances at her and he would just heave a sigh every time.

"His Highness, Prince Warryn had been doing public services and charity works these days aside from his royal duties. His popularity skyrocketed and raised the morale of everyone in the Empire. Now that he had taken the heart of the people, there's no way the first prince can still outrank him."

Well, Prince Darius had been working from behind.

She wished she could interrupt the speaker that opened the discussion but she could only speak in her mind. Despite being cursed, she knew the first prince didn't stop doing his royal duties and he had been singlehandedly killing phantoms for six years already. It had been written in the book and they also had an encounter.

He even saved me from that time. She bit her lower lip and tried to erased the thought from her mind.

"Next, about the Marqaux faction. We just received an intel that the House Marqaux had been continuing to strengthen their military forces and the supporting ally House Evergreen had made a lot of funding to the Special Casters Unit-"

"Why do we still think about that? We will be having the Imperial Knights. We just have to increase the second prince's popularity and once he takes the throne, everything will fall into the right places," Marquis Lucrene proudly said as if he made a life-changing speech.

"Marquis Lucrene, were you not aware that we are facing a fierce opponent here? The other party didn't only have strong forces but they also had the war genius with them." It was Marquis Morgan that countered his disposition. He's rather old and skinny, with his long mustache hanging freely into the air, but he has exceptional analytical thinking.

"That's why we have to consider the health of the Emperor before the crowning day. If things get worse, it'll be our loss."

"Her Majesty, Empress Margareth already had her hands on that matter. Lately, she had been skeptical about the meal and the tea and fully guarded the room of His Majesty just in case there were signs of assassination. We just have to be patient and make the Emperor as alive as possible."

"Actually, what's the point of waiting for the curse to be lifted when it couldn't be cured in the first place?" Marquis Lucrene tried to cheer the mood with his sarcastic remark. "Can't we just tell the emperor about this charade?"

The room filled with silence. Reina couldn't help but smirk. It's the same phrase that Clarish heard when she eavesdropped in the meeting of the elders. Now, everyone's is looking at her, trying to examine her reaction but she only shrugged her shoulders off as if she doesn't care about a thing.

Marquis Scarlett grinned, now his attention was fully taken by the lady who was quietly observing the conversation.

"You're not just a clown, Marquis Lucrene. You're the whole circus," Earl McVille firmly stated making the others shut their mouth to suppress their laughs. "If the truth is revealed, the empire will be in chaos and we will be on a hot seat for knowing such a thing in the first place."

Reina remained calm in her seat as she followed their conversation as if she were watching a live-action of the novel she had read.

She was quick to pick up what they said and when she glanced at her father, she then realized the pale complexion of the marquis. This is the reason why Marquis Belfford didn't want to bring her with him. He didn't want her to hear the mind-blowing reality. She realized her father must've felt bad about himself, for joining this faction which was only good at dirty tricks. But there was nothing he could do but support anyway since House Belfford had sworn alliance to House Scarlett.

She, who was an outsider and a reader of this novel, already knew everything so there should be no problem with it. If anything, she understood the situation of her father.

"Now the next topic to be discussed is the marriage proposal of the first prince to the daughter of Marquis Belfford."

And with that, everyone's eyes were once again fixated on her. Her face was expressionless as she tried to compose herself. She realized after keenly observing the room, there was no point in being scared.

"What about that? Is that matter really necessary to bring up to the table?" Marquis Lucrene said with an annoying laugh. She had been suppressing herself since the moment she entered the room but once she had her limit, she would lift her chair and smash it to the ugly face of his.

"Yes, it is. You may haven't realized it but the prince's proposal could be a threat in disguise. I've already discussed it with Marquis Scarlett and he said it is just right to bring the matter here. I've also brought my daughter with me since she might have something to say," Marquis Belfford carefully and articulately explained like he was having a conversation with a child.

"Once Lady Clarish betrothed to Prince Darius, that could mean House Belfford will be indirectly lending their support to House Marqaux. That means a sign of betrayal to House Scarlett. Sounds like a serious matter, isn't it?" Marquis Florence said, simply darting his eyes to Marquis Lucrene who seemed to be embarrassed.

The other participants of the meeting remained silent and she could only guess they were those less powerful houses that serve as valuable pawns for House Scarlett.

"I don't know what the prince had seen on this empty vessel but if he badly wanted to take her then give her away," Marquis Lucrene said with a sly smirk as he thought of something interesting. "Marquis Belfford, the solution was already in front of you. Why don't you just kick out your daughter from your house and take the name of Belfford from her?"

"Are you saying I must abandon my child and give her to that monster? Are you kidding me?" Marquis Belfford who was now enraged, stood and slapped his hands to the table. He couldn't afford to imagine doing that to his own daughter.

"Father, calm down," Reina tried to calm the marquis and helped him take his seat. She then pulled a deep sigh and pointed her index finger to the annoying Marquis. "And you! Why don't you just shut the f/ck up and let the discussion flow as it should be?! You're all talk, you're not even contributing to the conversation! You're really getting on my nerves, don't you know that?!"

Everyone in the room was shocked by her vulgar words. She stood and crossed her arms and looked at everyone intently.

"I have been following the discussion for a while now and all I could say was that you were a bunch of idiots who didn't think of the matters seriously."

That's why you died in the end. Following the fall of House Scarlett, everyone in the faction had been executed.

"I didn't come here with my father to hear such nonsense. Your devices and strange disposition were an earsore, it made me deaf." Everyone in the room glared at her, their fist was clenched and if those could kill, she would be dead by now. It made her grin even more.

"What? Did I hit the bullseye? Let's be honest here. Even if you sell your souls to the underworld, with that pea-brained of yours, still, you could never win against the Marqaux faction."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.3K 2K 24
After I died in the modern world I was born in a magical realm with scheming nobles, magical creatures, and a magic academy straight out of hogwarts...
1.1M 43.5K 32
[Completed] Warning : The story is unedited. I apologize for the numerous grammatical errors within and messy storyline. Info : There's a remake of t...
211K 8.9K 54
In many stories, there is many tropes, clichés and so more. However, there is this one, specific trope, in which is called, the reincarnation into an...
MissFortune By Rosiquen

Historical Fiction

3.8K 98 17
"Here's a little reminder, Wife. You are going to perish." Rosamund, the Daughter of the Duke, the Young Lady was fairest of all the nobles. Who kne...