The Daughter of Lilith | A St...

Par Lil_miss_redhead

When three teenage girls go missing in the small town of Oakhaven, people are looking for answers. A rumor st... Plus

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 8

Part 7

5 1 2
Par Lil_miss_redhead

The morning came too soon for Leanne. She got up with a sense of foreboding. She could tell her brother felt the same way. 

His trip to the market was successful. He brought home coin, bread, and pastries. Lots of their customers couldn't afford their wares with real coin, so they traded exclusively depending on what it was they wanted. 

The ate a few of the tarts for breakfast. After, Leanne disappeared to put on one of her nice dresses. At one point they were her mothers, so the color was slightly worn from the usage of the past. She pinned her hair up and secured her bonnet in place. She stared at herself in the mirror. She looked worn out. As evidence, there were bright purple bags under her eyes.

It took her a long time to fall asleep that night. After completing her chores and taking care of her mother, she had laid down expecting sleep to come easily. It didn't. Both Kenelm's and Fern's words reverberated in her mind.  

"Staring at yourself again?" her brother's voice said, drawing her out of her thoughts. He was at the entrance of the room, looking at her, smirking. He was wearing nice attire, although they were short on the legs and arms. His hair, that was too long, flopped in his eyes. "You'll break the mirror if you look any longer." 

Leanne noticed the dull look in his eyes, but all the same she retorted back. "It's already been cracked when you looked in't." 

Leo laughed and disappeared from the door frame. Her smile turned into a frown and she peered back into the mirror. 

She knew she shouldn't feel this way about going to church. 

She used to miss church. The community. Her long forgotten friends. But she didn't know if she'd be accepted back after being gone for so long. Don't be ridiculous, she thought. It's just a building

Leanne was further shocked when her father announced he would join them. He also wore his best clothes, although they looked as good as new, and his hair was brushed. She wondered if he had really worn them before the minister had came around. 

They all piled into the wagon in silence and made their way into town. Leanne had secretly hoped the roads would be too muddy to trek all the way, but she was disappointed. She sat in the back, sitting on some wood, to slim the chances of getting her dress dirty. The clouds above them were ominous and looked as though they were about to burst with rain. 

She held Kenelm's cloak to her chest feeling the rough fabric on her skin. She was still angry at him, but she also recognized he was not wrong. 

She wanted to apologize to him, but then again for what? She didn't do anything to him. If anything she should be apologizing to Fern. But she still couldn't shake his disappointed face from her brain. 

She heard the chatter of people before she realized where they were. Her head lifted as they drove to the entrance of church. 

The pastries churned in her stomach as her brother jumped off the wagon and went to help Leanne. The townspeople were milling in front of the stone church stopped briefly to stare. She felt the eyes as her brother set her on the ground. She briefly brushed off her dress and held the cloak, as if it was her life line.

Their father pulled the wagon away to park. Leo glanced at her then the people around. They had stopped staring and resumed walking into the building. 

"Are you ready for this?" Leo muttered under his breath. Leanne didn't respond. She only wished her mother was with them. 

They were prompted into church by an elder and they joined the mass into the building. Leanne had forgotten the splendor of the church. It was too large for their small town. It was built over. hundred years ago, when their town was bigger. Inside there was a high ceiling with a large candelabra over rows and rows of pews for the community. 

They were one of the last people to enter, and nearly every bench was filled. So, they had to sit in the last row. Leanne scanned the crowd for Sigourney or even Kenelm. She spotted several faces she knew of, but none who she was looking for. 

The room was filled with people talking in low voices. Children squabbled while their parents hushed them, and babies cried. Once and a while there would be a bolstering laugh from a gentleman speaking with another. 

Leo and Leanne sat quietly observing around them. She felt out of place in that church. Everyone knew each other and talked to each other. However, no one had come to speak with them.

Their father joined just before the church started. Leanne noted that her father looked pale and sweat was forming on his upper lip. She thought he looked like he was going to hurl. 

They all rose when Minister Gilroy took the stand. She felt his gaze on them briefly before welcoming the church. 

The church service commenced after a prayer and a chant led by Gilroy. Leanne glanced at her family, mumbling random works since she didn't know them. Her father had his head down, his lips not moving and Leo was whispering along with the congregation.

The service was a blur to Leanne. They sang, they chanted and Gilroy spoke about a far away land with names unfamiliar to her. She was relieved when it was finally over and they exited the building. If she would've had it her way, she would have ran out, but many people stopped to speak with her father. 

It's so nice to see you!

We were so worried about you and the kids. 

Your children look so much like your wife. Aren't they of age yet?

 I hope your wife is well. 

Leanne stood with him, trying to smile through all the conversations. Leo had snuck off leaving her alone, holding Kenelm's cloak to her chest. She still hadn't seen him yet. 

The more she stood listening to the conversations around her, the more she figured Fern was right. This was hell

She was glad for the chance to escape. Outside, she found Leo talking with Kenelm. Not far from them, a group of girls their age huddled watching them. They glared daggers at Leanne as she walked over to them, partly eavesdropping into their conversation. 

"In the woods? Bad idea." her brother was saying, his eyebrows furrowed. 

Her heart stopped. He did not just tell her brother... 

Kenelm met her eyes and flashed her a smile. Leo turned, saw her and straightened himself. 

"Hey little sister," Kenelm said. "I see you're bearing gifts." 

Leanne glared at him and held out his cloak. "You forgot it," she muttered. She didn't know why but a pink blush spread across her cheeks. 

He looked at the outstretched cloak but didn't reach to grab it. "Did I though?" Kenelm asked, chuckling when Leo gave him the death glare. Leanne didn't respond. Her brother grabbed it and shoved it to his chest. 

"Just take it, you arse," Leo said.

"Leonard, you're in the presence of God," Kenelm gasped mockingly. "We do not say 'arse.'" 

Several members turned to them, giving them warning looks. Normally, with an outburst like that another member would've came and gave them a talking to, but no one dared to approach the doctor's son. 

Kenelm's smile widened at the reaction around them. Leo wasn't as amused. "Knock it off," he snapped, his face flushing red. 

"As I was saying," Kenelm said, ignoring Leanne. "You should come with me. I heard there's good bunch of deer this season."

Leo was shaking his head. "No. We're not going into the forest. It's cursed." 

Kenelm scoffed. "It's not cursed. It's just old wives tales to scare us as kids." Leo didn't look convinced. "Right Leanne?" 

Leanne shot him a sour look. She shrugged. "Suppose so." 

An older man approached them. Kenelm sighed, his smile disappearing. "I must go. Think about it, and let me know later." And just like that Kenelm was off. 

Leanne's sour expression didn't disappear. "What's his deal?" she asked. 

Leo shrugged. "Apparently his sister is back from visiting their grandmother." 

Leanne frowned. Kenelm had a sister? She tried imagining who Kenelm's sister was but nothing came to mind. 

"You wouldn't know her," Leo said as if reading her mind. "She left when you were young."

Leanne's interest was piqued. Why? She doubted her brother would know. She looked at the group of girls congregated and saw most of them had left. Only a group of three stood watching Leo with interest.

One of the girls slowly approached them. 

"Good Afternoon," she said, pointing it at Leanne, but her focus was on her brother. Leanne didn't recognize the girl.

Her brother, suddenly out his stupor, smiled gently at the girl. "Good Afternoon," he greeted her. 

Leanne didn't say anything. She sized up the girl with slight interest. She was tall for her age with her dirty blonde hair pinned behind a bonnet decorated with lace. Her dark eyes travelled over Leanne with disinterest. The mystery girl was dressed in a fine blue dress. Wealthy

"I-I don't think I recognize you," she said. "I'm Rovena Kimberlye."

Rovena, Leanne thought. Pretty

Leo waited for Leanne to say something but she didn't. Finally he said, "Hello, I'm Leonard-Leo- Bolton. This is my sister Leanne." 

"It's a pleasure," she said, beaming at him with sparkly straight teeth. Leo smiled back. Leanne wanted to roll her eyes but resisted.

They started chatting and soon Leanne tuned them out. She gazed over the crowd around them. It had thinned out considerably, but there were some groups congregated in conversations. She felt a small pang as she noticed the people her age speaking to each other all laughing with smiles across their faces.

She wished Fern was here. 

"Looking for someone?" For the second time in two days, she jumped at the voice. She faced a girl with long dark hair and electric blue eyes staring at her. She was just as tall as her, with a dusty brown dress. It didn't rival Rovena's dress, but it looked just as stunning on her. 

She was older than Leanne. She thought she looked around Leo's age, maybe older. Her expression was cool, an aura of disinterest surrounded her. Unlike the other girls, her hair was braided down her back and she noticed slight brush of rouge across her lips. 

Leanne stared at her, very conscious she was staring with a mouth wide open. The girl's thin lips formed into a smirk. "Cat got your tongue?" 

"N-No!" Leanne managed to get out. 

She seemed amused at Leanne's speechlessness. "I'm Melinda," she said. "I-I'm new around here." 

"Leanne Bolton," Leanne said. 

The girl-Melinda- smiled at Leanne. "Pleasure," she said it in a way it didn't sound like it was a pleasure to meet her. "I'm sure I'll see you around soon." 

Then she was gone. Leanne felt a little satisfied that Rovena and Leo had stopped talking to each other when Melinda appeared. 

Soon after, their father whisked them away. Before they settled on the wagon Leo whispered in her ear, "That's who I was talking about. Kenelm's sister." 

Leanne was in awe and felt slightly jealous. She was unlike anyone she had ever seen before- even Fern. Melinda had a way that no one would just forget. No, she would never forget her. 

It started raining as they started their travel home. Her brother provided an extra cloak and she felt a little sad that she had given Kenelm back his cloak. 

However, she dismissed the sadness. There was so much more to focus on other than Kenelm. He was an arrogant ass. He didn't deserve of her thoughts nor her time. 

Instead, she focused on how she was going to keep dry the rest of the ride. 

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

60.5K 1.9K 83
{A SAPPHIC VAMPIRE TALE- COMPLETE} 18+ (this story can be read as a stand-alone if you wish)❗️ This is heartbreak, this is betrayal. When Marine, a...
203K 7K 38
Vinni is in trouble. Not just because she's failing maths or playing second fiddle to a perfect younger sister or pretending not to miss her absent f...
136 2 17
A girl runs away to start a new life even if she has to run forever. She has a friend for the road and what she finds is a forest with secrets and th...
7.4K 386 32
~Lesbian romance & Mature language~ *Second book in The Haven Series* *Cannot be read as a stand-alone book* Here we are five years later, fighting f...