Doing Dirt (completed)

By justforlou

Evelyn is being pressured and stalked by an asshole from work. She feels like she's alone in the world. But t... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
[A/N] Please read
SEQUEL!!

Chapter 14

363 8 0
By justforlou

-14-

=Harry's POV=

I'm driving on the freeway when my phone starts to buzz off on the seat next to me. The caller ID shows that it's my lad John. My hand scuffles around on the seat and grabs my phone. I bring the phone up to my ear and answer.

"Mornin' Harry," he welcomes me, "Um you know the lead we got on our case?" He asks and I murmur meaning a yes, "I was wondering if you could go there straight away instead of to the office. Just do some investigating, see where things take you before I get there. I'm on my way so I should be there in 20 minutes. Cheers." We both say goodbye and hang up.

My mind flickers back and remembers the address of the location. I continue driving down the freeway, the sun creeping up from the horizon in the distance. Making a quick left, I drive down the unfamiliar road passing trees and crowds of people. I park my car opposite the designated house and turn off the engine.

Climbing out of the car, I double check I have my gun on my belt. I lock the car and proceed to cross the road. Observing my surroundings, I note that the door is open so I continue with caution. My fingers skim my belt, softly tracing the edges of my gun.

Notes are scattered all over the floor along with scraps of food and rubbish. I'm on the lookout for any clues about the murder, any evidence that our victim was here before or during his death. Although I don't have the case files on me at the moment because they're back in the office, I distinctly remember the tox screen results coming back indicating that the victim had suffocated to death.

The body also had traces of metals and rocks. From past experiences, this information usually pointed to that the victim had been kept in a small room with a cold concrete floor and metal piping on the walls. I lurk through the house, shining my flashlight to get a better view of the dim lit place.

I notice a creepy staircase that leads downstairs. There's no lighting at the bottom and it doesn't look pleasant at all. I progress down the stairs, my feet lightly tapping each one as I prowl further into the dark. At the end of the stairs, a cold metal door stands in between me and solving this case. My hand extends and twists the door knob, immediately sending chills down my body like a warning message.

The ringing voice of Evelyn telling me to be careful is on replay in my head. The door creeks open and I feel a gust of unpleasant smelling air on my face. Shining my flashlight around to get a better view of the mysterious place, I slowly begin to unearth clues to the crime that was taken place.

I know I can't touch anything until John gets here with Forensics. Scraps of clothing are scattered across the floor and there's no food or water in sight. This must have been torturous, sitting here for god knows how long. Hot, starving, thirsty and weak to the point where it hurt to the point where it was painful to move an inch.

My disturbing thoughts were interrupted when I heard a door scrape against the floor like someone was forcing it open. My hand darts straight for my belt and retrieves my gun. Getting a comfortable grip on it, I hold it outstretched in arms length. I make my way out of the room back to the main area of the house, carefully walking up the stairs to not to make a sound.

I scan the perimeter making sure it's safe to close it. Getting a glimpse of the time I mentally note that John should be here in five minutes. Proceeding with caution, I step into the living room. Flashlight in one hand and gun in the other, my eyes skim the cold hearted house. Without warning, I hear a shot being fired.

The metal bullet rips through my skin and penetrates my leg. My body gets weak at the knees and falls hard on the cold and uncomfortable floor. I try to open my eyes but my head is spinning so much it hurts. Brown curls draped on the floor and blood trickling from my leg, I lay helplessly.

**********

Upon opening my green eyes, I find a breathing mask strapped to my face and John sitting next to me. His face is resting in his hands and he's tapping his foot impatiently. "John" I softly croak as I try to move my right hand towards him. He looks up at me and stops tapping his foot, blue eyes showing relief.

"Harry!" He softly whimpers. "I've called Evelyn and told her what's happened. She freaked out so much! She's coming to see you when we get to the hospital." John politely informs me. I groan loudly as leg goes numb and chills flow down my spine uncomfortably. "What happened back at the house?" I wheezily ask John as my green eyes look up at him.

"Well," he clears his throat, "I came in and found you in pain on the floor with a bullet in your leg. I called for an ambulance and then called for backup on the scene. You were in so much agony from me putting pressure on the wound. When the paramedics came they put on the ambulance and strapped you on. Now here you are, weak and fragile. I hope you get better Haz. The other guys can work the case while you're in hospital. We're close to it, hold in there."

John strokes my hand up and down comforting me. Managing to crack a faint smile, I reassure him that I'm going to be ok. My head feels like a mirror that's shattered into a million pieces. Every inch of my body aches. I must've hit the floor pretty hard and lost a reasonable amount of blood.

All I can think is Evelyn and the distraught that I've put her in. My eyelids are starting to feel heavy as they droop down and cover my eyes. I find myself dosing off to the pain of my leg but comfort of my best friend here with me.

**********

"He's in here. Harry just had surgery so he's resting." The nurse addresses someone outside my room. The door creaks open and footsteps approach my bed. "Oh Harry..." I recognize Evelyn's trembling tone. She presses her warm lips on my forehead and tussles gently with my curls.

My eyes open and eyelashes lightly brush against Evelyn's chin. Her hands cozily cup my face and her worried hazel eyes look directly into mine. "Oh Harry..." She trembles for the second time. Evelyn fits her snug nose in the crook of my neck. Her lips quiver and warm tears glide down her face. I turn my head and he kiss the meaningful tears away gently, brushing my delicate lips on Evelyn's cheek.

"You promised you'd be careful..." She reminds me before pulling away and sitting down on the bed next to me. My arm lifts up slightly to make way for Evelyn and then rests on her lap. My fingers twine around hers and she gives them a pleasant squeeze. "Everything's going to be fine babe, please don't lose your faith." I reassure Evelyn.

Her eyes look down at me sympathetically. "Fine? You got shot in the leg and fell so hard that the doctors worry you have a concussion!" She quietly yells. "I've been shot before," I recall, "It's just at what impact I fell, I'll be alright it's just that my head's spinning right now."

Evelyn unsteadily shifts her body on the bed before placing another sweet kiss on my forehead. "I'm not going anywhere, I'll be here with you." She whispers as she picks herself off the bed and sits on the chair next to me, fingers still looped with mine.

"Get some rest Harry. It's been a hell of weekend and now a lovely start to the week. All this is too much for us. Your leg is going to heal in no time, I'm sure of it." Evelyn's voice faint as her thumb skims the top of my hand. Her humble voice coos me to sleep and I hazily shut my green orbs, knowing that Evelyn is here by my side.

**********

Breezy conversations fill the atmosphere in between people wishing me to 'get well soon' and leaving balloons and cards on the table. Evelyn converses with my co-workers as she takes sips of her hot coffee and glances at me.

"Don't worry Harry, we'll get whoever did this to you!" John reassures, "We will get this son of a bitch for murder and attempted murder of an FBI agent, double trouble!" Everyone in the room murmurs in agreement as they nod their heads up and down. My head feels better and I smile and thank everyone.

"It's getting late, we should get going. Evelyn will take great care of you." John suggest as he pats her gently on the back. Everyone says their goodbyes and ushers out of the room. Finishing off her coffee, Evelyn places the foam cup in the bin and takes her previous position in the chair next to me.

"That was nice of them, coming here and giving you presents." She warmly smiles. "Yeah it was. I'm so glad I have them and above all, you." I reply. "How's your leg and head? Any better?" Evelyn's asks me with concern. "Leg still hurts but it's nothing and my head is heaps better, doesn't feel like broken glass anymore."

Evelyn yawns loudly, signifying that she's tired. "Get some sleep babe, you look exhausted." I tell her. She shakes her head hazily, "I told you, I'm not going anywhere. If you're here then I'm here too." She remarks slightly pouting out her bottom lip.

"Come sleep next to me." I offer as I scoot over to one side of the bed slowly. Evelyn looks at me like 'are you sure?' I signal her to come over and lay down next to me. Her petite figure lifts up from the chair as she makes her way next to me. Her legs nicely tucked under each other, Evelyn places one of her hands on my chest.

"Goodnight." I whisper in her ear as I place a sweet kiss on her forehead. She digs her nose in the crook of my neck and smoothly untangles my golden brown curls with her fingers. My arm right next to Evelyn's, I softly grip her fingers with mine. My green eyes close, knowing that I'm safe. A faint smile remains on my face as I fall asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

SURPRISE! This is the second last chapter in this fanfic!!

Ahah don't worry, I'm currently working on the last chapter (ch 15)

After this book is completed, I'm making a sequel called 'More Than A Memory'

Enjoy your reading

Ily :*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

834 27 12
This is a sequel to the story "I don't dare", you can find that story in my profile, but you don't have to read that story to understand this story...
716K 21.7K 70
COMPLETED Evelyn was an aspiring social worker. But when her first assignment is helping a family living in one of the worsts neighborhoods around Lo...
18.6K 1K 43
Ally, 17 year old teenager, she's innocent, she stands up for herself but that gets her into a lot of trouble. She trusts her brother with her life...
6.2K 161 28
((Similar to Twilight, just without vampires, werewolves, and team so and so.. lol)) Discovering your soulmate has never been so dangerous. Kenzie Mc...