Forever Yours Truly | Blade x...

By CheChiMulay

After non-stop recruiting new bodyguards every now and then, your father eventually got fed up and decided to... More

A Foreign Encounter
A Smile On Those Soft Lips
Royalty
An Invitation
An Old Friend
A Quick Glance
Interrogation
A Crack Slithering Within
Portrait on the Wall
Standing Next to You
Unknown Future
Unexpected Circumstances
Dismissal
Authors Notes

Change of Plans

238 13 2
By CheChiMulay

Returning to the mansion felt suffocating as your mind began to wonder why Blade was acting that way. Of course, you do not doubt that he needed to keep his guard up for your safety but you couldn't remove the image of his grip on your shoulder being so tense, let alone urging the coachman to flee.

All you remembered was catching a glimpse of that bloody swordsman but if it were just some random person who wanted to bring harm towards any citizen he would've just stayed by your side. However, the way his brows frown, the animosity of his breathing, and his attention concentrate on immediately leaving the place. A good guess would be that she was involved at the Mara War.

A lingering feeling within you sense that Blade's past was tied to that woman.

You assumed she was roughly about Blade's age, perhaps older. Regardless, his seemingly unpleasantries towards her from the way he was glaring, all you knew was that he was an orphan, a pitiful orphan that was taken in by some random unknown nobles; A warrior, an emotionless weapon for battle, a puppet that anyone in a higher position can command him to do. Blade, who was taken under Elio's care after a certain incident and the soldier who survived the Mara War.

"You should get change and rest, mistress," Blade said, putting his hand to his scabbard. His guard was up, even more than before.

"It's too early to get some rest for tonight."

"Then just change and stay inside for now."

"I'm not too tired after today but can you give me some explanation at least?"

"You don't need to know a thing about her."

"Well, I can't just see some random lady with a bloody sword and think of it as nothing." You scoffed, crossing your arms before stopping outside of your bedroom door.

"You can already know from the first instance by her bloody sword that she is not a harmless person. Just because I can fight means you can mindlessly wander around anywhere you like; if you want me to be more specific, you need to react fast if you see danger first." Blade's free hand went to massage his forehead. "I am aware of your previous guards quitting their jobs since they were all imbeciles, incompetent even; your father had already informed me of how your previous ones did their job and I doubt that they will do their job properly if they encounter her."

"What about you? It seems like you know her so what will you do about it? You're not working under anyone at the royal court right now."

"Like I said, you don't need to know. I highly suggest to keep your nose out of it.

"Would you send a message to the General immediately if that woman is such a high level threat? After all, he is known for leading military work, considering how serious you reacted earlier."

Blade held a deep breath, prohibiting himself from letting out a frustrated groan. His hand instead grabbed the doorknob handle, opening it for you to step inside.

And you did.

"I will...decide on it," Blade answered, his dull eyes removing itself from you. "Mistress, I suggest you change into some more comfortable clothing before we have a proper conversation. It is obvious that you look tired right now."

You could not deny that your body was begging to rot in bed at this point. Your feet were throbbing, the strength on your legs was draining and your shoulders were no longer pulled back, causing you to slouch. With a defeat, you held back an irritated sigh, closing the door on him as you began to remove your clothes.

Blade was right, you do not know a single thing about him.

                                ----------------------------------------------------

Your body immediately went back to slump onto your luxurious large bed after a nice warm bath that your servant had prepared for you. You start to feel a sense of ease as you're reminded of how comfortable life can be at the safety inside your mansion. Everything that you could ever want or ever need is always prepared at your disposal. The servants who make your bed, and the chefs who serve everyday meals for you, all of this is to ensure that you wouldn't need to lift a finger.". After all, it was your father's hard efforts that he managed to provide such luxuries for you. Your father, who made sure that you would be taken care of ever since the disappearance of your mother.

Laying flat on your bed, your attention remained on the ceiling, looking around at its beautiful architecture. Of course, it will never be as extravagant as any royal family but you know that this home is way better, especially compared to those of the common people.

After a while, the door slowly opened, and the creaking sound screeched to your ears. Blade entered, shutting the door behind them while he stood by the side of the exit. As expected, his shift was not done until you fell asleep.

"It's good to know you have finally washed up, mistress."

Sitting back up, you look back at Blade with his hand on the scabbard and the other on his side.

"About earlier..." You paused, looking down at your blanket before his eyes. "Would you want me to send a servant to notify the General right away?"

"No," He paused, before parting his lips again. "I'll handle it myself. All I want for you is to stay inside while I'm gone and I'll get a random guard in this mansion to stand by at night."

"You're leaving tonight?"

"Not just tonight only, more likely for a few nights till the gathering." He let out a breath that he held back.

"How will you get some rest then? Before going out to investigate, wouldn't resting for tonight be more ideal?" You asked, hugging your knees together as the cool air entered from your opened balcony door. "You could get some sleep for tonight then tomorrow you can head out."

"It wouldn't provide me with the best outcome if it delays any further," Blade said.

"But you were walking with me all day at the village, wouldn't you be tired just as I am? I can send a servant to bring in some food for you as well."

"You don't have to, mistress."

An awkward silence filled the room as your eyes observed Blade's hidden concentration in his lifeless face, thinking to himself what to do after seeing that bloody woman. You knew that it had nothing to do with you, fortunately of course, but you could not help but wonder how it affected Blade's life in terms of doing his job or allowing his past to catch up to him. In those few seconds of nothing, Blade finally broke the silence.

"You're quite sheltered aren't you, mistress?"

You blinked a few times at his words, what an odd question all of a sudden but you were well aware of it.

"Pretty much, Papa hasn't really allowed me to go outside a lot throughout my childhood. It was only when I reached adulthood was when he was less strict with me."

"Is it because of your mother, I assume, mistress?"

"Partly, yes. I understood why he did it. I know that losing a lover greatly affects someone"

"..."

You tilted your head, waiting for his answer. He glanced back at you while the wind from outside entered your room flowing the strands of his bangs in front of his face.

"If you would not mind, mistress, may I ask, for how long has your mother...been missing?"

Blade's question was personal, wanting to know more about you yet you know nothing about him, his past, his relationships with other people, even a past lover if he had any. Your mind began to recall all the memories of her, the way your brain searched all the fragments of being in her loving arms.

But nothing came up, all you know was watching your father in shambles, sobbing to her portrait. Yet, why do you feel nothing about it, in absolute no remorse at all? The more you always think about it, you only know how to miss her, but not remember her.

"I was too young to remember anything about her. Besides, that question was too personal when you don't allow me to know anything about yourself other than what the documents provide."

Blade's body shifted, taken back by what you have said but you are aware that he is not obligated to tell you everything about his past; and neither are you obligated to as well.

"I prefer that you wouldn't know much about my past; if you wish to not reveal anything to me about your past then it is my duty to respect the mistress' wish." Blade said, before removing his attention from you. "But mistress, did you have any connections from your studies and getting along with your father's affairs in business?"

"Not much actually, he forbade me from even seeing his documents."

"Shouldn't a father at least show their children what they do in business?"

"Papa told me not to even touch it when I was young."

"Then how is the mistress going to manage future business affairs if you had not met a single one of them?"

"He told me he will allow me to look at it once he thinks I'm ready enough."

"And when is that time going to come? You're already an adult, mistress. How will you properly inherit your father's business when you know nothing about it nor even met his connections?"

"I mainly focus on how to manage connections and learn all the economy and politics and keeping up with everything."

"Yes, I cannot deny you put great effort in maintaining your knowledge updated with the current times but you cannot manage a business let alone any political affairs properly without any experience especially not starting from a young age."

"I've been to a few events, especially the crown prince's coronation."

"Jing Fang's coronation was for every nobility to attend. Of course, your father allowed you to go since it was an impactful event for every citizen from every nation. However, you weren't really known by others. They know your father, of course, but had you realised that you weren't in a lot of documents?"

You were aware that you were sheltered, hidden away from society and only been meeting a few nobles once every few years. But Blade didn't understand; you love your father dearly and you know he did everything he can to protect you, making sure there will be no harm in your life. Though, you had to admit that you did not have many people to rely on other than your father. Perhaps accepting the secret pen pal's relation was a way to build your own connections since you had none; all the connections your family had were only for your father.

"I have my own way and I will build connections and some investments with or without my father's help."

"But you're barely allowed to go out."

"Like I said, I will find a way."

"You know that it will be difficult, mistress. If you reveal that you are your father's daughter then they would rather go have a discussion with your father rather than you."

"I know that already."

"My guess is that you already tried it in the past but it failed didn't it, mistress?"

"..."

"I see, that's all I need to know then, mistress."

Blade's face displayed an unhidden expression of suspicion, analysing every word or information you revealed to him. Considering the other nobles he had encountered, you would not be surprised if he sees you as nothing more than a spoiled sheltered daughter.

"Mistress, here is Miss Tingyun's letter from earlier. I have kept it safe for you."

He handed you the letter as you accepted it, opening the envelope that revealed the same paper quality and hand writing your pen pal. Indeed, it was Miss Tingyun whom you originally assumed.

Dear Mistress,

This is for our next letter in case we may encounter each other. It was obvious by now that I am your pen pan as I cannot see you personally due to my busy schedule with the General. However, by the time you read this letter, I have scheduled to have an audience with you. Now now, don't be a killjoy and just send a refusal letter back to me. I want to meet you of course and I do not doubt that you will be opposed to such a meetup. But do not worry, this will be just between us. Lastly, tell Blade that the General is training even more due to his absence.

Your dearest,,

Miss T.

You were bewildered by her letter, knowing that she had set up an arrangement to have an audience meant that she can potentially be a new connection for you. You were already cautious of her intentions from the beginning so you hoped that her intentions would not be ill or malicious.

"You should think it through, mistress." Blade said, breaking the silence.

"I know that, it was so sudden though. It's not like I have a choice since she already set up an arrangement."

"I suggest that you should prepare yourself before meeting her in person after today. Miss Tingyun is known to be cunning at times."

"Is there more I need to know about her?"

"There is not much information I can provide for you, mistress. She only became the General's secretary but there is not much I know about her since I rather not get myself involved in the Xianshuo Luofu anymore."

"I see."

Blade didn't say a word after, focusing on his next line of thoughts and plans as he began to scan outside; his right hand was fiddling with the handle of his sword with his fingers seemingly needing to unsheathe it.

"Mistress..."

"Are you leaving right now?"

"Yes, you are correct, mistress."

"Then go."

"I will," He paused, looking back at you."But I cannot leave you here alone."

"But Blade, you said you'll ask some of the guards to take the night shift just like how it's always been for these past few weeks. You just ask someone to do it earlier anyway since you will come back," You said, resting your chin on your knees. "I trust that you would not take long anyway."

"Even though other knights in the mansion have guarded you in your sleep, I was still inside the mansion, mistress. This time, I won't be near if there is any danger from afar."

"If you're so eager for my safety, then how will you protect me from afar? I know you well enough that you would not force me to come with you on your investigation."

"I would rather not have any suspicion from your father that his precious child has gone missing for the night with her guard, let alone any rumours. Which is why I am going alone," he muttered.

Blade's eyes began to glow before grabbing the handle of his sword, unsheathing it from his scabbard revealing it's peculiar pattern; from its ebony base to the unique craftsmanship of the handle, it had a golden mark, dripped down onto the sword illustrating as cracks, fading till red point of his sword. It seemingly matched his hair with the faded crimson ends that blended with his eyes. The design itself, it was no doubt the same one as the woman's clothing you saw at the village just from its deadly aura alone..

In that mere second, the sword was now abruptly pointed towards you. You felt your heart dropped, paralysing you in your spot as you felt your breath being removed from your lungs. None of your guards had ever pointed their sword at you, pointing at your neck to slice your flesh and blood. Your arms removed themselves from your knees, hands digging onto the bed sheet lifting your body away.

"Blade, what are you-"

"Don't move, mistress." Blade uttered in an almost faint whisper.

Unsheathing it, Blade reveals his signature weapon, a sword defined by its fragile golden cracks and torched fractures. He lifts the sword up in front of his line of sight, carefully dragging his fingertips across the broken blade. As his eyes scan the various cracks mended together, he shifts a dark glance on you before swiftly drawing his fingers along the edge of the blade beneath the tip of its point. The broken sword glows an ominous red as Blade readies himself as if he was in combat. His fingertips unhesitatingly pricked over the sharp edge of the blade, slicing his skin until a drop of blood escaped, dripping itself from the point before plunging itself on the floor.

Before the drop of blood reaches the floor, an instant force rushes everywhere in a circle. A sudden force of wind slaps your face as well as the room begins to rumble in a split second. The blade slowly returns to his side and reverses his grip so that the weapon is hidden by his back. Without a moment of hesitation, Blade swiftly spins around and swings the sword directly towards your neck. You recoil and instinctively close your eyes, bracing for impact. In that same moment, a burst of wind rushes past your sides, brushing off every dust off your face. But just before the neck could pierce your skin, Blade stops.

You gasped as your heart raced, beating in and out so fast that your breath was instantly returned to your lungs. Your chest was clinging to any sort of oxygen that was left in the room as your hand went to your heart to calm yourself down. Paralysed in your bed, your legs remained frozen, chained to stay in place in fear of not moving a single inch that can potentially end your life.

"What?" You breathed deeply once more, barely muttering any words out of your mouth. "What the hell is that?" "It's called blood manipulation, mistress." Blade said calmly, deliberately removing the sword out of your neck, sheathing it back into his scabbard. His eyes, however, faded back to its lifeless form.

"Blood manipulation?" Your voice hoarse out.

"Only a few know such a technique, especially handling it with a sword as a guide. If one attempts to use one, their body would mostly not be able to handle the pain when the blood will start to disintegrate their own skin."

"Then what was that earlier? I thought you were about to kill me if you didn't stop the sword before it touched my neck." You let out those words, your hand rubbing your neck to ease itself from your airway flow from being blocked. "Was that the skill you used during your time at the battlefield?"

"Yes, mistress, blood manipulation requires high control of one's abilities that mostly relies on rage or malicious intent. However, it is more difficult to learn that technique as an everyday skill that is why very few know how to use it properly without such needs of emotions.

"How did you end up knowing how to use one so casually?"

"I learned it from an old master of mine."

"Master?"

"I had a mentor when I was young but I do not wish to speak on it."

"Then what was that earlier? I only saw a drop of your blood instead of slicing your whole hand just like what it's said in the documents that puts information about that skill."

"That one is simply a protection spell, only used for one person. If a person who desires to harm the vessel inside then their only outcome will be death. Their flesh would start to burn before the muscles would begin to stretch to the point it tears their heart to pieces in a slow agonising process." Blade explained, walking closer as his shadow covered your whole face. "I highly suggest for you stay inside until I return. If you need anything, just call down a servant."

"Is the protection spell permanent?"

"No, I only used a drop of blood. If you want a permanent one then I can provide it for you; it would need a lot more of my blood but only a few droplets from yours."

"I would rather not for now."

He nodded, wiping his bloody finger on his coat. "I will be gone for the night; by the time I return, the protection spell will be gone and I will be back to ensuring your security. All you have to do is stay inside for me."

Blade's hand reached forward, hovering above your head then he placed it down. He patted your head for a few seconds before removing his hand away from you to turn around, facing the balcony door.

"Just be patient for me, mistress."

After that, the room shakes, the papers on your desk flew everywhere before his presence vanished the moment you blinked your eyes.

Blade was now gone, leaving you alone in your bedroom.

(tysm for reading I'm more active on ao3though but I also appreciate you readers :))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 61 10
Another Trailblazer is joining the Astral Express but at what cost? They only thought The Traveller was the only one who seemed to have an interactio...
6.3K 335 10
If there was one thing Shang Qinghua would say is the best thing about his job at the bar he works for, it would be sexiest, dreamiest, hottest, any...
200K 5.1K 29
So, this will be my first fanfiction x reader and my first fanfiction about Hunter x Hunter. You're life is turned up-side-down when your dad hires s...
30.8K 1K 34
A third generation chaebol, Lee Yoohan, was frustrated with life and tired of succession war. He attended an underground fighting club to pent up his...