I Found You

By Courtney98xo

This story is based on the BBC show Peaky Blinders, we start off in the year 1921 and so forth, up until 1934... More

Actors and Actresses
Part 1. The First Time Meeting You.
Part 2. Moving, Moving Where?.
Part 4. An Unexpected Invitation.
Part 5. A Problem Shared, Is A Problem Halfed.
Part 6. Billy Kimber.
Part 7. Killing Someone.
Part 8. The Races.
Part 9. The Lee Family.
Part 10. Our First Kiss.
Part 11. First Job Of The Company.
Part 12. Questions Spinning and My Head Killing.
Part 13. I Found You And You Found Me.

Part 3. We Meet Again.

112 2 0
By Courtney98xo

The next morning came and I woke up feeling surprisingly refreshed, given the fact that I was in a different setting, in a different bed, that I wasn't used too. I opened my eyes and looked around the room, the sunlight beaming through the bottom of the curtains, creating a spotlight effect upon the floor. I then looked over to the little bedside table and looked to see what time it was, from off the little bedside clock, that was sat upon it, eight thirty it read. I then rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and pulled the duvet from off my body and sat up right in bed, before swinging my legs around and placing them on the wooden floorboards and slipping my feet into my slippers.

I then got up from off the bed and made it, before stretching my arms up towards the ceiling and yawning. I then went to the window and opened the curtains, taking in the sight before me, which was a whole different world from last night. There were children playing outside, running around and playing hopscotch, some with skipping ropes. Mothers were standing at each of their doorsteps, chatting away to one another, whilst keeping an eye on their youngsters. Horses and carts were going by, with men going about their daily jobs, dogs were running wild in the street, some chasing after the children playfully, they must have been the ones I heard last night. I then opened the window to take in some of the fresh air, however much to my dismay, it wasn't like back home for you could breath in the fresh country air, where as here all you would breath in is coal smog from the colliery that was just down from the housing estate.

Then, just as quickly as I opened it, I quickly closed the window again, I guess I won't be getting a nice breeze in my room any time soon. I stepped back from the window and then turned to my vanity chair and grabbed my silk robe from off the back of it and wrapped it around me. I then quietly opened my bedroom door and closed it behind me, before I tiptoed over to my brothers bedroom door to listen to any sign of life from behind it, but I couldn't hear a thing. So I quietly crept downstairs trying to make no noise, before peering over the bannister. There, sitting at the kitchen table, I took in the familiar sight of father sitting at the table, reading his morning paper, whilst smoking his pipe, with the back door open to let the smoke out.

I smiled brightly to myself at the sight. Just then Jimmy came in from outside. "Crackin day out there like, if I say so, for this time of year, seems like a canny day to gan job hunting or we could skip that and gan try out this new pub down the road". He said to father, as he placed his cup by the sink. Father with his pipe stuck in his mouth, let out a puff of smoke from it, before he crinkled the newspaper together and placed it into one of his hands and pulled the pipe out of his mouth with the other and turned to look at Jimmy. "Could do". Was all father said, before they both smirked at one another. I then finished descending the stairs and walked through the living room and stood at the doorway to the kitchen.

"Morning!". I brightly beamed at them both. "Morning flower, how'd you sleep?". Father asked. "I slept great thanks, how about ye?". I replied. "Ergggh, is that morning breath I smell, someone needs to gan brush their teeth". Jimmy commented, as he brushed past me to retrieve something from the living room. "You must have ya nose to far up ya own arse". I smugly smiled at him over my shoulder. Jimmy said nothing other than smile, as I turned back around to look at father. Before I knew it, I had a massive thud in my back, but no pain followed, so it didn't hurt. I turned and looked down upon what fell on the ground, that had hit me and to my surprise, it was a cushion from the sofa, Jimmy had thrown at me.

"Owww!". I bellowed out, even though I knew it didn't hurt. "Soft shite!". Jimmy smugly said, as he walked past me back into the kitchen. I then kicked him in the back of the leg softly and then he was going to retaliate and he picked up a wet tea bag from off the side of the kitchen sink and he was going to throw it at me. "Jimmy, don't even think about it". Father warned, as Jimmy was stood there, frozen to the spot, arm in the air ready to throw it. Jimmy, then slowly brought down his arm and put the tea bag back on the sink where he got it from. "Cup of tea m'lady". Jimmy asked me, in a smug Birmingham accent. "Aye gan on then". I said to him, as I sat myself down on the kitchen table opposite father.

Jimmy, then took the kettle from off the harth and filled a cup with boiling water, before putting the kettle back down and walked over to the table with it and placed it down in front of me. I then, looked at the cup and then back up at him. "What I asked if you wanted a cup of tea, I didn't say I was gonna mack it for ya anaral". He laughed. "You cheeky git!". I slapped him on the arm. "Pass is a bloody tea bag, I'll do it mesel!". I said. Jimmy then laughed and went and handed me a tea bag for me to put in my tea. "Er, where's the milk and sugar?". I asked. Jimmy then rolled his eyes and tutted, as he got me what I asked for and placed them down on the table. "Can you two not gan less than five bloody minutes without tearing lumps out of each other?". Father asked, as he chuckled to himself.

Myself and Jimmy looked and each other and then just like telepathy we both said the same thing. "No". Father then tutted and went back to reading his newspaper. "So, what you two gonna be up to today?". I asked them. "Well I thought I'd scourer the streets and look for some pretty ladies". Jimmy said. "Erggh, please don't make me sick". I grimaced. Father sat there chuckling at us both. "Well, if you must know we are in two minds, to either go to the pit and see if they have any jobs going or go to this new pub for a pint". Father said.  "Well we all know which one that your both gannar pick, don't we?". I asked rhetorically. "Well your brother and me, thought we could accompany you to your trail shift". Father said, as he placed his newspaper down onto the table and looked at me.

"See how nice we are to ya". Jimmy laughed, as he picked up a slice of toast and took a bite. "A-a trial shift, since when?". I asked. "Since half seven this morning, I caught the fella who's barman in there, as he was walking to start his shift in the pub and told him about our situation and he agreed to give you a trial". Father said. I then squealed with excitement and jumped up out my seat and leant over the table, to kiss father on the cheek. "Thanks dad!". I said excitedly, I then stood up and went and grabbed hold of Jimmy's face and gave him a big sloppy kiss on his cheek, as I know he hates that kind of thing. "Thanks Jimbo!". I said, as I smiled smug at him, before sitting back down on the chair, as he began to wipe my kiss from off his cheek.

I then picked up a piece of toast and ate some, whilst drinking my tea, a few minutes past and I had finished my breakfast and I ran upstairs to get ready, I ran into my room and opened my wardrobe, as I started to rummage through my clothes, to find something suitable to wear. I then picked out a nice cream blouse, with a wide collar, with a camel coloured ankle length skirt and a burgundy coloured cardigan, to go over the cream shirt. I then, placed them gently on the bed and then ran back out of my room and down the stairs, to go and wash my face and brush my teeth.

Once that was done, I ran back up to my room and got changed, did my hair in my signature bun hairstyle and sprayed a little bit of my perfume on, before taking one last look in my vanity mirror I checked the clock to see what time it was and I realised just had enough time to write a diary entry for today, so I sat down at my vanity and opened my diary up and began to scribble in it.

Date: 17th October 1921

Today is Monday, Monday in a new house, in a new environment and a day at a new trail shift, at a new job, that I shall be going to in under less than an hours time, I hope I don't mess up, as I am a little nervous and I don't know why, as I have done this type of work before obviously, but I think it has something to do with, it being in a new environment and going to be around new people, but anyway wish me luck and I shall let you know how it goes, when I return.

Once I had finished scribbling, I then made my way downstairs, to join the lads who waiting patiently for me, with their coats already on. "Bout time". Jimmy said smugly. "Ready?". Father asked. I didn't say anything other than nod my head in agreement and put my longline wrap coat on, that was burgundy in colour and it came just down to my shins, as Jimmy then opened the door and we all made our way out into the street and down to the pub. As soon as we stepped outside, all eyes were upon us, nearly every man, woman, child and animal held their gaze upon us. Then the whispering began, people practically breaking their backs to lean over to whisper into someone's ear, as they looked at us.

"What's everyone staring at?". Jimmy questioned out loud. "Jimmy!". I warned him. "Jimmy man, shut yp will ya!". Father also warned him, as he pushed him to walk in front of him. As we kept walking, no one averted their gaze upon us, they kept watching us, like a tiger stalking it's prey. I didn't know where to look, I felt so embarrassed with everyone staring at us, that I began to fidget with myself, first my hair, I get making sure no hair was out of place, next my outfit, I kept smoothing it down to make sure there was no creases in any part of it, as I wrapped my coat firmly around myself, as a sort of shield to hide me from everyone staring and finally my face, for every house window I passed, I kept making sure to get a quick glance, at my reflection to make sure, that I had nothing on my face.

We finally got to the end of the street and to the pub doors, all three of us turned around to see everyone still staring at us, but we turned back around and brushed it off. "This is it sweetheart, good luck!". Father said as he kissed the top of my head. "Yeah break a leg...or two". Jimmy teased, I then playfully slapped him on the arm, before we pushed upon the pub doors and walked through. We all stood at the doorway, like cod fish, for we were gobsmacked, at how beautiful it was inside, for The Peakcock back home, was furnished beautifully, but not as beautiful as this. The floor was polished to perfection, you could see your face in it, the bar looked like it had been dipped in gold, the brass work was gleaming ever so bright, the seats were spick and span too, for not one cigarette burn or tear hole, could be seen within the leather interior. Lucky for us, the pub wasn't open yet, so there was no one in here apart from us three and then Harry the barman. 

"Jim!". A man walked out from behind the bar and greeted father, pulling us all out of our daze. "Harry!". Father greeted the man, as he shook his hand. "This must be the tribe then?". The man asked father. "Yes, yes, this is me eldest, James or Jimmy, as he prefers". Father said. "Hiya". Jimmy greeted the man, as he too shook his hand. "And this is me youngest Rosie". Father added. "Nice to meet you Rosie, I'm guessing that's short for Rosalyn is that right?". Harry asked me. "It is yes". I replied, as I shook his hand. "Right, ready to get started then, your dad has been telling me your the best pint puller where you come from?". Harry said. "You can start by pulling a pint for them both if you want". He added.

I just smiled at him and nodded, as I took off my coat and gave it to my dad, who took it off me and hung it over his arm and winked at me to give me reassurance, that I'll be fine. I then followed Harry, behind the bar and awaited instructions. Jimmy and my dad went to sit down in one of the booths within the room, as they sat and started talking amongst themselves, as not to put all their attention onto me, to put me off working. "Right". Harry said, as he clasped his hands together. "Pumps are there as you can see, I'll show you the barrel stall in a bit". He told me as he pointed towards the pumps and then to the back room where the pumps were kept. "All the mixers are on this back wall here". He added as he pointed to the back wall behind us, that was full with bottles of different mixers to make different drinks with, with a huge mirror stuck behind it. "Glasses are down here and the wine glasses are hung up here". He told me, as he pointed in the directions of where they were. "And that's about it really, I'll talk you through the rest later, who to talk to and who not to talk to sort of speak". He said.

"Oh right". I said softly. "Right, I'll let you serve and I'll just stand and watch you". He said. "O-okay". I stuttered, I then let out a sigh to help calm my nerves, until I turned my attention towards my father and brother. "What'll it be lads?". I asked them, as I leaned over the bar and placed the palm of my hands flat onto it. "Two pints of beer please petal!". Father shouted across to me. I just nodded in agreement. "The one on the right is for beer". Harry told me. "Right, cheers". I thanked him, I then walked over and retrieved to pint glasses and places them down onto the bar, before I took one in my hand and put it under the pump, as I pulled it down and let the liquid start to spill into the glass, tilting it to get a good head on it. Once I thought it was full enough and it had a good head on it, I then put the glass up right and pushed the pump back up, as I placed the full glass of beer onto the bar.

Harry came over and bent down to the level of the glass to inspect the contents inside it. He then chuckled to himself, before turning to look at me with a smile upon his face. "Not bad, not bad at all, do that one and then I'll make up my mind". He said, before stepping back into place, where he was stood before, to watch me. I then, did the same process I did for the first glass, getting it perfectly right the second time also, as I also placed that one onto the bar. "She's a natural Jim!". Harry shouted over to father. "Told you so din't ah!". Father replied. "Rosie...you've got the job, congratulations!". "That'll be 4 pence boys!". Harry told them. Father then got up out of his seat and walked over to the bar and fished out of his pocket the correct money to give to Harry, except Harry let me put it through the till.

"I knew you could do it flower!". Father said, as he reached out and grabbed my hand and caressed it with the back of his thumb. "Thanks dad, I couldn't have done it without yours and Jimmy's help, advising me to move and everything". I told him. Father then smiled and took the pints back to the table and that's where he and Jimmy would sit all night, until closing. Suddenly there was a ruckus outside and it was the punters ready to come in and quench their thirst. Harry then walked over to the bolted doors and lifted the bolts up, as he held onto the door handle, before turning to look at me. "Ready!". Was all he said. I said nothing other than nod my head, as deep down, I was petrified, but I wasn't going to let that stop me. Suddenly, Harry opened the doors and just as quick as a flash of lightening, a stamp-peed of men came flocking into the pub, swearing, shouting and laughing with one another, it was like I had never left home.

A few hours past and I survived the first few hours and I never thought I would. Father and Jimmy had gone home to sleep off, all what they had drank, for they had been in here since nine this morning and it was now five o clock. The men that were still here, started to get a bit rowdy by now and the volume started to raise up a bit, much to the dislike of Harry, for he seemed very shifty, as though he was panicking, that if he didn't get the crowd under control, he would be in big trouble with someone."Oi lads, turn it down a bit will you, it's getting a bit out of hand now!". Harry shouted over the rowdy crowd, but no one took much notice and the noise just got louder. "Can't you not do something?". He asked me. "Me ah ye 'aving a laugh!". I scoffed, as I put a glass down under the bar that I had just been drying with the tea towel. "Please Rosie I'm begging you, if I get caught letting all these make that much noise in here, I'll be sacked". Harry pleaded.

I sighed for a moment. Closed my eyes and thought to myself, come on think Rosie what is it that men like most in this world, other than, sex, booze and fags, I know, I thought, as I suddenly leapt up onto the bar, so i was now stood on top of it. I then placed my fingers into my mouth and blew, so that I whistled really loudly, making everyone stop in their tracks and turned to look at me. "Al'reet lads, I hope your having a great time thee neet but I need ye to calm it down a bit yeah!". I shouted out to them all. "And why should we do that, who are you to tell us what to do!". One of the men slurred. I then stopped and panicked for a moment, as I hated confrontation, especially with men. "Errr, I know 'ow about ah sing us a song and you lads can join in if ya know it!". I said to them, changing the subject, as I knew they were to drunk to remember what was last said.

"Alright, mademoiselle take it away". Another man applauded, as he clapped his hands together in slow motion. I then closed my eyes and cleared my throat, taking in a deep breath, before letting the words to the only song I knew fall out of my mouth, for it was the only song my mother ever used to sing to me, to get me to sleep, when I was a little girl. Now I knew i wasn't much of a singer, but these men in here are so drunk they will probably believe, even a dying cat would sound brilliant.

"I'm a young girl, and have just come over,
Over from the country where they do things big,
And amongst the boys I've got a lover,
And since I've got a lover, why I don't care a fig.

The boy I love is up in the gallery,The boy I love is looking now at me,There he is, can't you see, waving his handkerchief,As merry as a robin that sings on a tree".

Suddenly, all the men within the room , started to join in and sing along with the chorus, as I continued singing, I looked down at Harry, just to make sure he wasn't disappointed by what I was doing, but to my surprise he was beaming from ear to ear, as he had his arms outstretched, as he leant over the bar, watching the scene unfold in front of him.

"The boy that I love, they call him a cobbler,
But he's not a cobbler, allow me to state.
For Johnny is a tradesman and he works in the Boro'
Where they sole and heel them, whilst you wait.

The boy I love is up in the gallery,The boy I love is looking now at me,There he is, can't you see, waving his handkerchief, As merry as a robin that sings on a tree.

Now, If I were a Duchess and had a lot of money,
I'd give it to the boy who's going to marry me.
But I haven't got a penny, so we'll live on love and kisses,
And be just as happy as the birds on the tree.

I was just onto the last part of the song, keeping the men entertained, when suddenly, the doors to the Garrison opened and a shadowy figure emerged from out of the darkness, with more people following behind him, I couldn't really make out who it was, for the billowing of cigarette smoke that filled the room. The figure took of his hat and began to walk forward, that was when my breathe hitched in my throat, but I somehow managed to keep on singing. For I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, for it can't be, I thought to myself.

"The boy I love is up in the gallery,The boy I love is looking now at me,There he is, can't you see, waving his handkerchief, As merry as a robin that sings on a tree".

I finished singing, the whole room was silent, no one dared speak. I hadn't yet taken my eyes off the figure, who had just entered the room, for I was in shock at who it was, he did the same, not taking his eyes from me, as he put his arm down, with his cap in his hand, as he leant on one of the beams that held the ceiling up and listened to me singing, just like the rest within the room. I could see his hair clearly now, it was a beautiful dark shade, almost as black as coal, it helped to make those ocean eyes of his pop. Once I had finished, i didn't know where to look, I kept trying to advert my gaze, but everytime I did, it was no use, for he still stood there staring at me, not even blinking an inch. Finally, I could tear my gaze away from him, as I follows Harry's moving frame, with my eyes as he walked over to the man stood staring at me.

"We haven't had singing in here since the war". Harry said cheerfully. The figure then slowly turned his gaze from mine to look at Harry. "Why do you think that is Harry?". He coldly stated, in his thick Brummy accent. Hearing his voice made my whole body go cold, my knees locked together and I couldn't move. It wasn't until, one of the more sober men, offered to help me down from off the bar and I gladly accepted, in fear I  might have fainted from a great height. The figure then turned to look at me again and this time I could get a better look at him and I jumped back gasping in shock. It was him, it was Tommy Shelby, leader of the Peaky Blinders.

I could have fainted there and then, but for my sanity I'm pleased I didn't. I then went out the back and retrieved my coat and began to walk out of the pub, for it was near enough for my shift to end anyway. Keeping my head down, I walked past him and his brothers, not daring to look at him, but i could feel that he was watching my every move, as I hurried out the door and went straight home, hurrying down the street and opening the front door and quickly shutting it behind me, luckily for me, Jimmy and father were already upstairs in bed asleep. All I wanted to do was go to bed and wake up and hope it would have all been a bad dream, but not before writing in my diary, I sat down at the desk, under the stairs and began to scribble, with the only light to help me, being the shine of the street light, burning brightly from outside and beaming through the front window.

It's me again, my shift went great. I had a wonderful time. I saw him again...

Just as I wrote this, I jumped back slightly, lifting my pen from the page, why did I write that, I thought to myself, but I ignored it and carried on writing anyway.

I got to see those beautiful ocean eyes for the second time, the eyes that I have never stopped thinking about, ever since he came to visit The Peacock. I wonder what he is doing in this part of Birmingham. I hope he doesn't think im stalking him. Ohhhh but those eyes, those dreamy ocean blue eyes, for they are enough to make any woman fall to their knees, just by looking at him.

I stopped and paused for a moment, resting my hand against my palm, as I propped my elbow up onto the desk, as the image of his ocean blue eyes, flashed into my brain. I shook it off and quickly closed my diary, before letting out a soft yawn and getting up of the chair and heading straight to bed, ready to start another day tomorrow. Deep down, I secretly hoped, I would bump into him again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

825K 22.2K 53
In which Thomas Shelby draws up an alliance between his family and that of his rival, not knowing that it's to have far more complications than he th...
2M 47.1K 51
Because every girl needs their own prince charming, but some girls need their own birmingham gangster. •BOOK ONE COMPLETED• •SEASON ONE- SEASON TWO...
1.1M 29K 93
"Realising how fucking beautiful you are suddenly sobered me up" Anna Smith, the girl who was brought up in a tiny village, sheltered naively from al...
27.8K 790 41
❝And I love you; for that, I vow that my absence will plague you for the rest of your cursed days. ❞ Tommy Shelby x female!oc Peaky Blinders season t...