This changes everything

By lilliant200

When 22 year old Abi Armstrong moves to England to complete her Masters in sports psychology, she meets a men... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: New beginnings
Chapter 2: Arsenal
Chapter 4: A car ride of apologies
Chapter 5: Surprises
Chapter 6: A visitor and a fight
Chapter 7: Betrayal
Chapter 8: Alex
Chapter 9: The morning after
Chapter 10: Parents
Chapter 11: Brothers
Chapter 12: Truths
Chapter 13: 1000 piece puzzles
Chapter 14: Back to London
Chapter 15: Turning 23
Chapter 16: Its Just Dinner
Chapter 17: I Miss You's
Chapter 18: December
Chapter 19: Red Dress
Chapter 20: New years eve
Chapter 21: Part two
Chapter 22: New girl
Chapter 23: Thesis
Chapter 24: Changing lives
Chapter 25: Across the sea
Chapter 26: Wedding bells
Chapter 27: How do we move on from this?
Chapter 28: Moving on from it
Chapter 29: From red to blue
NOT AN UPDATE

Chapter 3: Coffee

1.4K 34 7
By lilliant200

My first week at Arsenal was good.  It was a lot of me in the background trying to learn everything from my professor, then stepping out of the room when Leah came in for her sessions.  I didn't mind, although a part of me wishes that she could understand that I'm only there to learn and help, not judge her and treat her like she wasn't a person. 

"Still not letting you in the room huh?" Beth said. 

Beth would often come and talk to me when Leah would have me kicked out.  I don't think she could tell that it bothered me, but it was nice when she did. 

"It's only been a week, I'm not expecting to be her favourite person yet" 

"Well you're apart of our team regardless, you know why don't we get coffee after we're done training today" 

"Is that not unprofessional?" 

"Alina hung out with us all the time while she was here, just don't let your professor know and you're fine, but he's also oblivious so you'll be fine" 

"Okay" I smiled at her as she walked away. 

Leah's session finished.  I said hello to her like I did everyday this week, and like every other day she ignored me. 

I finished the day and my professor drove us back to campus.  I had settled into this routine quickly and it was nice, I almost forgot what day it was until I got a call from my mum as soon as I entered my flat. 

"Hi Mum, what's up" 

"You know on this day I think about you a lot more" 

"Oh fuck, thats today, you know I don't really like talking about it" Today was the day my life changed forever, my family changed, I changed, it was a day I always liked to forget. 

"Its been 5 years" 

"I know, I just don't wanna talk about it"  

We talked for a bit longer before I hung up, I needed to meet Beth in town for coffee. 

I walked to the coffee shop that Beth texted me to meet her at.  Once I got there I ordered myself an iced coffee and found us a table while I waited.  I was pretty early something my anxiety always made me do. 

Beth walked in and ordered a coffee herself before heading to the table I got for us.  We hugged, something she loved to do and I just accepted it. 

"Have you been settling okay?" she asked. 

"I mean yeah, I miss my friends from home and my fiance, and my mum, but dad's only a couple hours from London so I visit him pretty often" 

"Wait fiance?" She looked down at my ring.  It wasn't something I wore often.  I don't know why I didn't.  It wasn't like I wasn't happy. 

"Oh yeah, I don't really wear the ring often but his name's Owen we met when I was in uni, he proposed the day before I left" 

"So a fella huh? You happy?" I was shocked by this question. 

"Yes?" 

"Don't seem so convincing, not to pry but do you truly think he's the one if you don't even wear the ring" 

"Things are a bit more complicated than that" 

We were at the coffee shop for hours.  Talking about our families, my parent's divorce, Alex, football, and she even gave me advice about Leah.  It was nice.  It felt like I was finally starting to make friends here. 

"Me and Danielle are hosting a party this Saturday to celebrate the start of the season, you should come" 

"I'm working" 

"Can you try?" 

"Yeah, I can try" 

Beth hugged me goodbye and left the coffee shop.  I soon left and went back to my flat.  I texted Rosie to see if she could cover my Saturday which she did.  I always covered for her, she always said she'd return the favour.  I never needed her to, but I did now and she did. 

What Beth said to me about Owen really stuck with me.  I mean I was happy, my parents loved him, he made me laugh, he was kind, I loved him.  I'm not sure why I was trying to convince myself I did.  I decided to give him a ring to get my mind off things. 

It was 11pm here, which meant it was 6pm back home, or my old home. 

"Hey babe I've missed you" He picked up straight away.  He looked like he was dressed up, and I could tell he has some alcohol in his system.   

"What are you all dressed up for?" 

"Aaron's birthday, we started drinking though since we'll all probably be in bed by 12.  Aaron was one of his good friends.  I went to tell him to wish him a happy birthday for me, but I saw this blonde girl walk behind him.  I've never seen her before. 

"Who's that?" I asked him. 

"Oh some girl Aaron's been sleeping with, don't know why she's here to be honest". 

Seemed legit, so I laughed. 

"I'm tired plus you have a big night so I love you don't get too crazy" 

"Love you Ab bye". He hung up. 

Another conversation that felt weird.  He dropped the "I".  Maybe that girl wasn't actually who he said she was.  I was probably just overthinking so I just went up to bed and fell asleep. 

----- 

I woke up late Saturday.  It's been a while since i've slept in and especially after the week I've had I definitely needed it.  

I went downstairs and made myself a cup of coffee.  Back in Canada I would drink my coffee with cream but that didn't exist here so I drank it with milk.  Still something I haven't gotten used to yet. 

I spent the afternoon watching some of the men's football that was happening.  I texted Beth to let her know I got my shift covered, which she was happy about and sent me the address.  I was looking forward to the party, but a part of me was hoping that a certain captain wouldn't make an appearance.  I knew the chances were slim that she wouldn't be there, although I still had hope. 

----- 

When it came time to get ready I spent more time than usual.  I've met the entire team already but they've only seen me in a work setting.  This was the first time they were seeing me in a social setting. 

I did spend more time choosing my outfit.  I've been to plenty of house parties in university, but I had no idea what was acceptable to wear for this.  After probably 20 different outfit combinations I settled on some jeans with a nice long sleeve body suit.  Casual but put together. 

I took 4 tequila shots before leaving.  There was no way I would enter that house sober, I would be too quiet.  I then shouted my uber to Beth's house and made sure to text her before I left that I was leaving. 

---- 

I was about 5 minutes from Beth's house before I texted her that I was almost there.  One thing I absolutely hated was waiting outside for someone to let me in, it just felt so awkward.  Once I arrived she was already outside waiting for me, exactly how I wanted it to go. 

"Wow you actually have clothes that aren't a football uniform?"  She laughed at my joke before giving me a hug before letting me in the house. 

The house was full of Arsenal players, with a mix of friends from outside of football.  Most of the team came up to me to say hi and to ask me about Owen.  Note to self, I can't say anything too private to Beth without the entire team finding out.   

"Abi you're coming with me" Beth wrapped her arm around mine and pulled me up to a room upstairs. 

There she was.  The girl who hated me, standing in front of me.  There was nowhere either of us could go. 

"You guys seriously need to talk, its ruining team moral" Beth spoke up. 

"Why the fuck did you even invite her here, she's apart of the team" 

I stood there, staying silent. 

"Oi Leah, that's bullshit, every single trainer and worker is responsible for what we do and how we preform, everyone is a part of this team, work this out, you better still both me alive when I get back" 

Beth left the room.  It was just the two of us.  We stood in the quiet for what seemed like forever.  Neither of us could work up the courage to be the first to speak.  Until I finally did. 

"Why do you hate me so much" 

"I don't hate you" 

"You sure as hell act like it" 

She finally looked me in the eyes.  They looked apologetic, but her response was far from that. 

"Look Alina and I were close, she knew me and knew what I needed out of those sessions, I thought she was staying permanently and out of nowhere left without saying anything" 

I almost felt bad for her. 

"Then you came, replacing her, she's not someone who can be replaced" 

"I didn't replace her though, I was given the opportunity of a lifetime, you can't hate me because I decided to take it" 

"You did, and that's all you'll ever be" 

I just couldn't understand why she was being so mean.  Surely she knows I have no idea who Alina is or what she did, but rather I'm just like Alina, a student trying to advance her career.  

I wasn't good with people being rude to me, so I started to tear up. 

"You know what I thought you might be able to understand where I'm coming from, but honestly you've been quite immature and I don't think you ever will, I've been nothing but nice to you so we don't have to be friends, but at least respect me as a student who's trying to learn, because I'm done taking your shit" 

I was in tears at this point.  I slammed the door to the room, hoping for her to hear my anger. 

"Woah Abi, I didn't mean to start anything I just wanted you guys to work things out" Beth came up to me immediately. 

"No its fine, thanks for inviting me, I think I'm just going to go home" she nodded her head and walked me out. 

I decided to walk home.  I needed to clear my head before I got home.  But I regretted once a certain car decided to follow me. 

A/N: 

-Meant to have this chapter out yesterday pls forgive me 

-Getting 80 views after only 2 chapters was crazy to me, I wasn't expecting any sort of attention so quickly so thank you all <3 

-since i left it on a cliff hanger i'll try and get the next chapter out as soon as possible:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.6K 1.1K 47
When a new player joins Arsenal WFC after finishing her scholarship over in the US. Bella Thorpe, 23, is very excited to play in London and in the WS...
68.6K 1.3K 31
Rewrite of my deleted story but a bit different!!! When Alex Scott gets her best friend, Abi's, daughter a chance to be a mascot for the lionesses, i...
166K 5.6K 46
Arsenal hires a new therapist in the wake of three key players tearing their ACLs. Emily Davis was the lead therapist at Angel City before her move t...