I Found You

By Courtney98xo

This story is based on the BBC show Peaky Blinders, we start off in the year 1921 and so forth, up until 1934... More

Actors and Actresses
Part 2. Moving, Moving Where?.
Part 3. We Meet Again.
Part 4. An Unexpected Invitation.
Part 5. A Problem Shared, Is A Problem Halfed.
Part 6. Billy Kimber.
Part 7. Killing Someone.
Part 8. The Races.
Part 9. The Lee Family.
Part 10. Our First Kiss.
Part 11. First Job Of The Company.
Part 12. Questions Spinning and My Head Killing.
Part 13. I Found You And You Found Me.

Part 1. The First Time Meeting You.

264 3 0
By Courtney98xo

Diary entry: 24th September 1921.

Match Day. The year is 1921, A Saturday which only meant one thing, it was match day. Sunderland vs. Birmingham, at Roker Park Stadium, twelve in the afternoon, kick off, and the stadium is a forty minute walk away from The Peacock pub, where I currently work at. Oh, I forgot to tell you my name, the names Rosie, Rosie Taylor, or Rosalyn if you prefer, but I prefer Rosie or Rose. I'm twenty three years old, born in eighteen-ninety-eight and I come from a small mining village in Durham, North East England. I live with my father Jim to his friends, but it's James or father to us and my older brother James who is named after father or Jimmy, as he prefers, he is two years older than me, born eighteen - ninety - six. Unfortunately, my mother Elizabeth, past away five years ago, due to influenza, a few weeks after my eighteenth birthday.

We miss her terribly of course, but unfortunately life has to go on and we cherish her memory whenever we can, especially at Christmas when we pour a small glass of sherry out for her and we all toast together, of course father polishes off her glass, like he always used to do when she was alive, they used to always have a good giggle about it. Since mother died, I have had to step up my game and look after the boys and that means getting a job and earning money. A job, meaning anything that was on offer, anything that means that would accept a woman's position in a work place. Father and Jimmy would be out working down the pit of course, but that just wasn't enough for us, to be able to afford the money to keep our house, as it was either this or out on the streets on in the local workhouse, which none of us wanted.

I tried everywhere, from shop work to working in a bank, but all the "woman's" positions, were all full. So, I scoured the local newspaper and sure enough, I found a job advertisement in a pub, as they were looking for a bar maid, which is something rare to find. So, I went to the local telephone box and rang them and sure enough I was invited to have a trial shift and if I was good enough, I would be kept on. So, I took the train from my local station which would take about half an hour, all the way to Sunderland and got off at the other end and made my way to the pub, did my trial shift and just like that, by the end of it, the landlord was really impressed, with my pint pulling skills, that I got the job there and then and I've been working here for over a year now and I couldn't think of doing anything else, of course I would like to marry a rich man and move into a big Manor house and sit around drinking champagne and going to lavish social parties, but I suppose you can't have it all.

Speaking of which, I best get back to my job, otherwise I might not have one, by the time I finish writing this.

I finished scribbling in my diary, that I had just gotten yesterday, for a year on the job present, from father for being at the job, for over a year and closed the page and placed the pen back into my apron. "Rosie!". I jumped out of my skin, as I was so consumed in my own thoughts, that I didn't hear Henry shouting of me, Henry is the landlord of the pub, he's a kind but firm man, he takes no slacking, but if you treat him with respect, he'll do the same to you, he's like a second father to me, always being protective, when it comes to the rowdy and touchy feely punters. I shot my head up to look at him, his head poked around the door frame, that lead to the porch way to the flat upstairs, where I usually sometimes go, when it's quiet to write in my diary, as there is a table and chair tooked away under the stairs. "Punters need serving!". He ordered. I said nothing, other than nod my head in agreement, before getting up from off the table and chair and putting the chair back underneath the table.

I smoothed down my apron and tucked a strand of my red hair behind my ear, that fell out of my bun, that was on top of my head. I then, made my way out of the back room and I was now standing behind the bar, it was heaving with people or should I say men, as it was improper for woman to attend a football match. You couldn't see the floor or doors for the amount of bodies, that were within the room. I stood their like a deer in headlights, my eyes wide, as I was frozen on the spot, for I have seen it busy when football matches have been on before, but not as busy as today, there were even people stood all outside, as it was a clear yet hazy day, the sun trying to peak through the clouds, every so often. The noise of men shouting, swearing and singing, was enough to make anyone go deaf.

"Ha'way man, chop chop!". Henry said, as he brought me out of my daze. I cleared my throat and went over to a old gentleman, who was stood at the bar, waiting to be served. "Yes, what can I get you?". I asked him. "I'll have a pint of John Smiths, please pet". "Coming right up". I told him, as I walked away from him and took a glass from the shelf at the back and took it too the pump, what held the beer he wanted. Once it was filled to the top, I stopped the pump and handed the man the pint. "That'll be 6 pence please". I said to him, as I held my hand out over the bar for the money. He then, placed the money into my hand and I grasped it firmly, to make sure I didn't drop it and turned my back to him to put the money into the till.

Once I did that, I wiped my hand onto my apron, just to get rid of a few of the germs, that might have been lingering on my hands, as I have always been conscious of germs, ever since mother died, as I always wondered where she got it from to get sick in the first place. I then turned my attention to another customer. "Yes, what can I get ya?". I asked him. "A pint, please flower". He said. "Sure". I said, as again, I went to retrieve a glass and go to the designated pump, poured the beer, gave the man his pint and took the money from him. I then shut the till draw and went on about serving more people, until I spotted one of my friends from school, who is a regular in this pub. "Al'reet, Rosie!". He happily said. "Hiya, Edward, what can I get you?". I asked him. "Usual please". He replied. "Course". I said, as I went to get him his drink, his usual was a Scotch whiskey on the rocks.

Once I came back, I placed the drink onto the bar for him and took his money and went to the till to put it in, I then came back and looked around curious for a moment. "Is there also a special occasion, that I don't know about, apart from the match, as I've never seen it so packed?". I asked Edward, in my loudest voice ever, so that he could hear me, over the hustle and bustle of the people. Edward, then leaned over the bar, so I could hear him clearly. "Well between you and me, a rumour 'as been gannin' round that the Peaky Blinders, are supposed to be coming in 'ere the day". He told me. "Who's the Peaky Blinders?". I asked him. "Seriously, ya been living under a rock or summit, you've never 'eard of the Peaky Blinders, big criminal razor blade gang from Birmingham, they've been in the papers and all sorts, never a day gan's by, when I don't read summit about one of them in the paper, when I'm at work". He told me.

I just stood there and shook my head. "Mind ye, I wouldn't like to cross one of them, I can tell you that for nowt". He said. "The paper reckons that they can cut people up in under two minutes their so skilled at it". He continued. "How do they cut them up, like Jack the Ripper used too?". I asked. "They use a razor blade right, get a peaked cap, stitch it into the front and then tak' it off and then gan' like that with it". He told me, as he mimicked the motion, of how they use their weapon on people. "Can't they just use their fists like normal people?". I asked, as I picked up the tea towel and began to clean glasses with it, so that I could show Henry that, I wasn't skiving and I was working, just being sociable. "Are ye for real, that wouldn't make them original, or stand out from every other gang in the world, it would mak' them more like a follower, like everyone else and they wouldn't be feared by all men in England and possibly Ireland". He told me.

"Oh". Was all I replied with, as I stared off into space slightly, as I cleaned a glass with the tea towel. "Besides all these in 'ere are just talkin' a loud of fuckin' shite man, as if the Peaky Blinders would come into this pub and drink in 'ere, besides their more of a horse racing loving type of gang, like to bet, to win money, I mean you can do that with football anaral, but ha'way man, their all living in fuckin' cuckoo land thinkin' their ganna come all the way up from Birmingham and waltz in 'ere!". He said. I said nothing other other smile at him, as I couldn't think of what to say. "Anyway, I'm ganna gan sit our there with our Frank and Geordie boy, is your dad and Jimmy not 'ere the day?". He said. Frank and Geordie or George, as he is more known, are Edward's younger brothers, they were a year and two below us in school.

"Aye, their at work at the minute, then they are going to get the train down and watch the match and then accompany me back home, after work". I told him. "Ah right, well I'll make sure to keep a seat for them both when they turn up, speak to ya later". He said, as he then went to go and walk back over to where he was sitting, with his brothers. Edward has had to become a dad to his younger brothers, after both his parents where killed, by a bomb falling down on their house in the war, so he takes them out and does stuff with them when he can, helps them to keep their minds off what happened. "Aye, I'll be sure to tell them that, your in and that your waiting for them!". I shouted back, as I watched him sit back down in his seat. "Rosie, glasses!". Henry shouted at me and nodded to the groups of men, who where all sitting around tables and engrossed in conversation with one another, smoking and laughing.

I nodded to him and came from behind the bar to now be stood in front of it, as I began clearing empty glasses from off their tables and putting the empty glasses onto the bar, for Henry to take and give to Jack, who was the pot washer. There was one group of men however, I was a little hesitant to go to their table, as I knew they were really intoxicated and I've had trouble with them in the past, nothing major but the odd comments here and there which made me feel uncomfortable. I stopped slightly in my tracks and took a deep breath in, through my nose and let it out through my mouth, before I plucked up enough courage to go over and take the empty glasses.

I walked over and the men stopped their laughing and joking and stopped to look at me. My breathing becoming shaky, as I picked up the first glass and tucked it under my arm. I then picked up the second glass, having to bend a little further over the table to reach it. It was then that I jumped out of my skin slightly, as I felt one of the mens hands collied with my backside and then grip it tightly within his palm. "Get a load of this lads, that's a real woman right there, with a big juicy arse to follow!". He slurred out, as his friends began to laugh.

Finally, I couldn't take it no more, as I let my intrusive thoughts, take over me and I grabbed a half empty glass of beer from off their table and threw it in the man's face. "PIG!". I spat. Making the man outraged and wipe the contents from of his face and his other friends stand up in disbelief, that a woman could do that to a man. "Ya little bitch!". The man screeched and went to stand up from his seat, as he knocked the rest of the glasses on the table crashing to the floor. I then stumbled backwards, frightened for my life, as I had never been in an altercation with a man before, I mean me and my brother have argued and play fought before, but that's just what siblings do, I've never actually had an argument with a stranger before and a man at best. The whole pub went silent, turning to watch the altercation start in front of them. Suddenly, the silence was interrupted. "Hew, Peter, calm down man, for I'll throw you and your little pals out, for I saw what you did to her, so you deserved that, now sit down and finish ya pint quietly and keep your filthy hands to yourself!". Henry shouted from behind the bar, staring the man down.

"Aye, alright Henry, sorry mate". The man replied, as he held his hands up in defence and went to sit back down in his chair. "It ain't me you should be apologising to it's 'er!". Henry snapped, as he nodded into my direction, as I was still stood there in shock at my own actions. The man looked to his pals, then back to Henry, who had a his eyebrows raised and eyes wide, his arms outstretched in from of him, as he placed them onto two of the beer pumps, waiting for him to apologise to me, before the man sighed to himself and then looked at me. "Sorry flower, I didn't mean it". He said in a sort of whispered tone, so that no other man could hear, so it wouldn't ruin his manly reputation, apologising to a woman. "It's alright". I said, as I gulped down the breath, that I had hitched in my throat.

The chatter around the pub, started to pick back up again and I got the rest of the glasses, that were upon the floor and went back around the other side of the bar. "He's not you know". Henry said to me. "Not what?". I asked, as I placed the dirty glasses, into a tray ready to give to Jack. "Sorry". Henry replied. I just scrunched my eyebrows together, in confusion and titled my head slightly. "For we don't call him Peter The Perv for no reason". Henry smirked, then went behind the back to give one of the full trays of dirty glasses, to Jack to wash. Leaving me stood there in shock and turn to look at the man, who was now less chatty his pals and was now just sat there, staring into space not saying a word, as though he was frightened to say or do anything else, that might get him thrown out.

Suddenly, the bar doors swung open, making me jump out of my skin, the reflection from the sun blinding me, so that I could not see who was entering or leaving in such a racket. Henry must have heard the clatter, as he came and rushed back from out the back and came and stood next to me. The chatter suddenly died down, it had become so quiet, that you could hear a pin drop. Then out of the daylight haze, three figures emerged. All three of them smartly dressed, whilst wearing the mens fashion of the decade the peaked cap, at first I didn't think much of it, as all men round here where those caps, but there was something different about these three, that just emerged into the pub, something I couldn't quite put my finger on.

They were all different characters, the man on the left was gruff looking, with facial hair and a scowl expression upon his face, he looked to be the oldest of them. The man on the right looked to be the youngest of the three, plump baby faced and a smug expression upon his face, with a tooth pick sticking out of his mouth, as he chewed on it, turning it from each corner or his mouth, with his tongue. The man in the middle however, seemed to be the most intriguing, for he was a little shorter than the other two, but he had chizled features, the most striking feature about him was his striking blue eyes, for I had never seen anyone with eyes, as bright as that. "Fuck me!". Jack whispered out loud, as he must have come to see, what all the fuss was about.

"What?". I whispered to him, not taking my eyes of the trio, as began to walk towards the bar. I unfortunately never got an answer out of him, as he seemed to scurry away in fear, back out the back, leaving me very puzzled indeed. I then looked around to see everyone within the pub, with their eyes settled upon these three men, whom had appeared out of nowhere. Before I ask anyone what was going on, the three men approached the bar and the man in the middle spoke up first, whilst the other two continued to glare around at everyone looking at them.

The man looked me dead in the face, my greeny blue eyes, absorbed into his ocean blue eyes, as his twinkled in the sunlight, every once and a while, whilst the rest of the time, his face was hidden by the peaked cap, he kept low upon his brow, his face in darkness all most, but not those eyes, for they shone through the dark shadow that the peaked cap created, oh how I shall never forget a pair of eyes, as beautiful as those. 

The man then cleared his throat. "I need a bottle of rum". He said, in an unfamiliar accent, that I had never heard of, before he looked down at the bar and then back up to me again. "Rosie whatever it is, it's on the house". Henry told me, as he stood beside me. For a moment I wasn't sure as to why, that was, as Henry hardly ever gave beer or an alcohol for that matter, away for free, but I thought be best not to question him and do as he says. I then cleared my throat and asked. "A whole bottle?". "Yeah". Was all the man replied back with. I then went to go and fetch a bottle, but then forgot there's two different types, so I stopped myself from going any further, before asking him. "White or dark rum?". "Don't care". He replied coldly. I then rolled my eyes at him and went to go and fetch the bottle. "A please or thank you wouldn't go a miss". I mumbled to myself". Un-benounced to me, I didn't realise that, he had actually heard me say that.

"What did you say?". He asked. "Oh err, I said either way they both taste like piss". I replied, as I stood wide eyed for a moment, before retrieving a bottle from off the shelf and giving it too him. "Henry says it's on the house". I said to him and smiled. The man just stood there and stared at me for a moment, until something that was really un-called for, came from out of his mouth. "Are you a whore?". He asked me. I stood there dumbfounded by his question, how dare he ask me if I was one of those, for he doesn't bloody know me from Adam or my reasons for working here, the bloody cheek of it, I thought to myself.

I didn't know what to say other than stare at him, until he opened his mouth again. "Because if you're not, you're working in the wrong place". He said, before he took the bottle from off the bar and then walked off with the other two men and went to go and find a seat. The chatter soon got back up again, after the novelty of seeing dangerous gang members, wore off. Henry then came back and stood beside me. "Did ye hear what he called me!". I seethed in anger, as I followed his moving form with my gaze, as I watched him, frighten off these two men, as they took over their places at a table, in the corner of the pub. "Correction, he didn't call you a whore, he asked if you were one". Henry said. "Besides you din't want to go back-chatting 'im, that's all I'm tellin' ye right". Henry warned me, as he knew that sometimes, I could get a bit lippy with the customers, if they go to far.

"Why did you give him that whole bottle of rum for free, you don't do that all the time for people and besides it's not like he's King George or summit". I asked him, as I folded my arms and slumped back against the wall, waiting for him to answer my question. Henry then grabbed my elbow slightly, as he got me to follow him, into the back room. "No, but they are the King's of fucking Birmingham, that's for sure!". Henry snapped slightly. "Birmingham...I knew he had a funny accent, but I couldn't quite put me finger on it". I replied. Henry, then gently took hold of my shoulders and got me to look at him. "Look, just use your manners and watch your tongue that's all I ask Rosie please". Henry pleaded. "Why, what's so special about those three anyway?". I asked him, placing my hands on my hips. "Their the Peaky Blinders!". He whispered to me, almost as though he was frightened to say the gang name out loud.

Henry, then gently pulled me to peak round the corner with him, without being seen by the trio, who were sat glaring at others, meanwhile the one in the middle seemed to stare into space, whilst the other two did most of the glaring at people. "See the one on the right". Henry asked me. "Mmhmm". I hummed in agreement. "That's the youngest of the brothers, John Shelby and also a nutcase, laughs in the face of death". "And the one on the left, that's the oldest, Arthur Shelby, like John only a lot more calmer when dealing with his victims and finally the man himself, Thomas, or Tommy Shelby, as he's more known, ring leader of the three, you would expect it to be Arthur, since being the oldest, but some say Arthur is way to soft, compared to Thomas, but don't let him 'ear ye say that, for he's not frightened to rip anyone to shreads, be that man woman or bairn, that's why Tommy, is more in control, for he is more precise into who he targets". Henry finally finished. "Tommy you say". I whispered softly, as I couldn't keep my eyes of the man, I now have a name for, as for some reason he captured my attention, more than the othe two, as there was something about him, I was more intrigued about.

"He's one of them ye warned me about". I continued. "Rosie, your a friendly girl, but be careful, if I say summits on the 'ouse, then say nowt to whoever you're serving, if they decide that they want you, there's nowt anybody could dee 'bout it". Henry began. "Excuse me!". I said, as I was taken back, by what he said. How dare he assume that if one of them, wanted to take me like a prize fish at a fair, I would just have to roll over and accept it, well I most certainly will not. "Lucky for ye, apprently as I heard through the grape vine, Tommy there since he got back from France, he doesn't want nee-body at all". He told me.

Henry then, walked away from me and went on to serve others, who were waiting at the bar. I however just couldn't help myself and I couldn't keep my eyes off the mysterious man, they call Tommy, who was sat meters in front of me. He fought in the war, I thought to myself, as my heart sank for him, to think what he must have seen and been through, for they say even the devil himself wouldn't cross no man's land. "Ere do you nar who them are!". Edward whispered to me excited. "What!". I said, not taking my eyes from off Tommy and slightly glancing at him for a mere moment. "Th-h-hats, tha-a-ats!". Edward said, as he began pointing. "The Peaky Blinders, I know". I said, as I crossed my arms over my chest and slumped up against the drink cabinet. "How do ye nar, thought you said you didn't nar who they were?". He asked me. "Henry told me, besides, I've just served that good looking one sat in the middle there". I giggled. Edward just smirked and shuck his head. "Well be careful yeah, divvn't need one of me good friends six feet under grund just yet". He warned me kindly, as he went to sit back down with his own brothers.

"Yes dad!". I chuckled, as I watched him walk back to his table. Speaking of parents, my brother and father, should be coming here any moment, hopefully they don't know who those three are sat in the corner over there, I thought to myself, as I took one last look at Tommy, before going to serve more thirsty punters. After a couple of hours most of the men had dispersed out and went to watch the match down at Roker. My dad and brother had finally made it, luckily they didn't really know much, about the three men luring in the corner still, apart from the youngest, as he went off to join the others to watch the match. My dad and brother, went to the match too and luckily for them, it wasn't a wasted journey for we beat Birmingham two,  one, the away fans didn't seem to happy about it I must say, but then again, I never understand why men get so angry over eleven men, kicking a football around, but then, what do I know I'm only a woman and my place is supposed to be in the kitchen and not at a place where, men come to get away from us women.

Five thirty came, the sun was dusk in the sky, as September is always a funny month, as it's stuck between summer and autumn season and it was time for me to leave for home, I had already helped Henry clean up and Jack said he would stay behind to help a bit more. My brother and father finally came back to accompany me to the train station, and they were both as drunk as skunks, I said goodbye to Henry and Jack and told Henry, I shall see him tomorrow for my next shift. A few minutes just before we left, the last two remaining Peaky Blinder brothers, left abruptly before us, leaving a couple of shillings on the table behind. I then bit my lip in a sorrowful way, I wish I got to know them a bit more, especially this Tommy fellow, as he seems like he could tell a few stories or two.

We made our way to the train station, which was just about a ten minute walk from the pub, give or take, but then again, I had two drunk men with me, so it could take all night at this rate. Just as we got round the corner, my dad fell over causing my brother to become hysterical with laughter, resulting into me having to hall him to his feet, just as I was about to pick him up, I had his arm firmly in my grasp, about to hoist him up when I stopped in my tracks, as out of the corner of my eye, I saw the three Peaky brothers, walk past us a little bit further away from us, but I  could still see them, the older brother and the younger brother, didn't acknowledge us, but Tommy did, he kept walking in a straight line, but his eyes never left mine, for although I couldn't see them over the shadow of his peaked cap, I knew he was watching me, as as I moved my head to follow him, he would do the same, before he lit up a cigarette and placed it into his mouth, before turning back around and walking off towards the train station, with his brothers, never to be seen again, or so we thought.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.4K 530 28
❝ Mar, we both know the rules of this game. ❞ ❝ And what game would that be, Tommy? ❞ ❝ The one where we pretend that we can resist each other. ❞ Tom...
27.6K 790 41
❝And I love you; for that, I vow that my absence will plague you for the rest of your cursed days. ❞ Tommy Shelby x female!oc Peaky Blinders season t...
1.3M 34.7K 117
It's 1921, Tommy is left heartbroken over Grace's betrayal and having decided not to follow her to New York he spends his time growing the businesses...
665K 22.3K 42
"Don't care if he's guilty, Don't care if he's not; He's good and he's bad, And he's all that I've got." She grew up watching them, fearing them. A...