The Alpha's Mistress

By Midika

*Warning - Contains 18+ Content* He holds my face firmly between two hands. "Sienna, I'm not going to have yo... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55

15

11.1K 334 28
By Midika

Word Count: 1633

~Sienna

Once I've dried off from the bath, I dress quickly before reentering the room.

Onyx is already in my bed, on the side he knows I don't sleep on. I smile weakly at the sight of him nestled amongst the covers, his dark hair thick and lush against the white of my pillows.

He watches me quietly, patiently as I run a brush through my hair and apply all my necessary creams.

Eventually, I join him in bed, feeling a twinge of awkwardness. He quickly puts that to rest, rolling me onto my side before pushing my back flush against his chest, banding his arms around me.

I blow out the candle on my bedside, dousing the room in darkness.

We don't talk for a while. The feeling of his muscled arms around me, the press of his warm skin and the sound of his steady breathing in my air is pure, uninhibited comfort.

"What if it wasn't an accident?" I whisper into the darkness.

He tenses against me. "Why wouldn't it be?"

"I don't know. Something about it seems weird." It's a feeling that's impossible to explain. She clearly fell hard, which seems only possible were she pushed.

"How so?"

"It's just a feeling."

He smooths my hair back from my face in a move that has my skin tingling. His touch is so effortlessly soft. It makes me wonder why I don't demand he lay in my bed every night...

Because I know how that would end.

"I'll look into it," he assures me softly, shifting his hand down so his fingers are brushing gently down my arm. "When you have a gut feeling about something, you're usually right."

I resist the urge to bow against his touch. An innocent girl just died and I'm overcome by the feeling that I want Onyx's hands to continue their exploration downward.

I turn my head toward him, even though I can't see him. "I like that you trust me."

"I trust you more than I trust myself sometimes." I hear the smile in his voice.

I rest back on the pillow, closing my eyes. Images of Elora's body flash unbidden into my mind. Where was I that was so much more important? I shouldn't have been with Kayn, eating and drinking with little care for a girl lying dead for countless hours at the bottom of the stairs.

"What's with the silence?" Onyx's voice wrangles back my drifting attention.

"Nothing."

"There's nothing you could have done about Elora, you know." His breath gusts against my cheek, against my ear. My body tingles in response.

"I know," I whisper. I can't help but wonder what could have been done to stop this...

Onyx's fingertips continue their travels up and down my arm. "I'm saying this pre-emptively because I know how you assume responsibility for everything, even when it has nothing to do with you."

I let out a breath, turning over onto my back.

"I'm fine, don't worry about me," I assure him. "Concentrate on how you're going to address the Pack tomorrow to announce how a wealthy Noble's daughter was found dead in your home."

He collapses back into his pillow, groaning roughly into the air.

"Fuck, don't remind me."

"Sorry."

"I've already got enough pressure going on with Alpha Maren. She's pushing her authority in villages at the edge of my Pack, knowing it's too much of a grey area for me to declare war against her," he vents.

I sit up a little.

Onyx rarely bothers me with political nonsense. He knows it bores me senseless, but more importantly, he hates burdening me with such matters.

I don't mind, though. I would much rather share the weight of his problems than have him shoulder the load on his own.

"Please don't send people to fight a war they have no stock in. They don't deserve to die for an inch more territory they'll never benefit from." I reach out, grabbing his hand.

"You know that's not what I want," he murmurs darkly. "I'm going there in a few days to push out insurgents. I'm hoping she sees my presence as enough of a threat that she backs off."

I stare into the darkness, frowning a little.

"Do I need to come?" Now that I'm his mistress, I'm expected to be present wherever Onyx goes. It's the entire point of this arrangement.

"No, I want you here, making sure the girls and their escorts are okay."

I hate it when he goes away, especially to dangerous places. I know he's the strongest Alpha, but even he cannot win against a massive army belonging to his enemy.

"What about your birthday?" I whisper.

He huffs out a breath. I can hear him rubbing his face. He hates the attention his birthday brings, but I don't care.

I love his birthday. I've been preparing for months.

"I'll be back for that, unfortunately." He rolls onto his side, facing me.

"Shh, I have something special planned for you. You're going to love it." I grin at the thought.

"Oh yeah?"

I sit up fully in bed, kicking the covers off my legs. "Actually, since you're leaving for...how long?"

"A week. Maybe longer."

"Then I'm going to give you an early birthday present."

I jump out of bed, fumbling for some light. I manage to light a candle before rifling through my bedside table. I find the precious box I've been safeguarding since my visit to the village a couple of weeks ago.

Onyx blinks warily, his hair tousled and messy from being pressed against the pillow as he sits up too.

"What is it?"

Keeping the present safely tucked behind my back, I sit back down on the bed on my side, buzzing with anticipation. "It's just one thing. Don't worry, I have much more."

"I'm sure it's great," he murmurs.

"Here. I made it myself, so don't be judgmental," I say awkwardly, pressing the small box into his palm. I say so as if I don't make every gift myself. Material items just never seem fitting for a man who has everything.

His smile is warm as he gently tugs at the silver bow. It gives easily, fluttering down to rest on either side of his hand. He pulls the lid off and pulls out the woven bracelet, turning it over so the charm rests against his fingertip.

"I wove it myself with your favourite colours. And the charm is from the lakeside. Remember that walk we did last winter? Yeah, I saw this and pocketed it. Anyways, I had Bobby polish it and place it in that setting." I chew anxiously on my nails.

Onyx is silent as he brushes his thumb over the beautiful rock. It's clear like glass but with dark green flecks in it. I saw it and knew I had to make it into something for him.

"I know you're not a jewellery person, but I was hoping you would wear it and think about me," I add hastily.

I don't know why giving presents is so embarrassing, especially with him. It's so intimate, giving him a glimpse into how much I think about him, how much I care.

And I care a lot.

"This is perfect, Sienna," he whispers, looking up at me with pure adoration in his eyes.

My lower lip is raw from how hard I'm chewing on it. "You like it?"

"I love it." He places it around his wrist, letting me fasten the clasp. "I love you."

I look up, meeting his gaze so close it's almost suggestive. "I love you too."

He pulls me into a hug, basically tackling me onto the bed. It's moments like these that remind me of why I treasure our friendship so much. My love for him is so pure, so uninhibited, and I know he feels the same way.

I just wish my corrupted mind would stop thinking about him in inappropriate ways.

"You're unbelievably special, do you know that?" His breath brushes against my ear, making me shiver.

"Stop..." I flush.

He pulls back, brushing his fingertips against the bracelet secured around his wrist. "I mean it. I'm never, ever taking this off."

"I'm glad you like it. I promise I have other gifts for your actual birthday," I assure him.

He smiles warmly.

I let out a wistful sigh. "I hate when you go away."

"I know." His expression softens as he looks down at his hands. It seems like guilt plaguing him, like he's torturing me by forcing me to stay home without him. I don't think I have much to complain about living in a palace.

"I wish I could come."

"Next time you will. People seeing you as my mistress will be important, but there are far more important things going on here for you," he tells me, patting my legs.

"True." I slide back under the covers, more than ready to sleep off this horrible day. "We should probably get some sleep."

"Good idea." Onyx watches me blow the candle out again before sinking under the covers with me. "And thank you, for the bracelet."

"That's okay." Satisfaction crawls into my stomach before it chases away my fresh memories of tonight. "I just know I'm going to have nightmares tonight."

Onyx pulls me against him, banding his arms around me. "I'll be right here, don't worry."

I smile to myself. "Yeah. I know."

💗••💗

Thank you to everyone who has subscribed to this story over on Inkitt! Over there, you can read 15 chapters ahead!
If you would like to read more of The Alpha's Mistress, you can read over 10 chapters ahead on Radish!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Thank you for reading (:

~Midika 💜🐼

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.9K 1.1K 36
For Vivian and Rowland Carter life couldn't get any better. They were the Alpha and Luna of one of the world's biggest Pack of wolves. They had the l...
466K 23.7K 41
When Leah is gifted with an abusive mate, you'd think she would give up on werewolves altogether. But a new experience opens her mind and heart to pa...
13.3M 364K 63
"Fuck, baby. You can't say things like that to me. I want to, also. Trust me." His hand snakes down my body until he enters two of his fingers into m...
1M 27.3K 35
"I-I'm sorry for waking you up. Please forgive me Alpha." She basically threw herself to her knees and bared her neck: a sign of submission. I sighed...