Daddy's Best Friend

By Royhanh

BLURB After a painful teenage rejection from her crush who happens to be her father's best friend, Sophia is... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61 Original
62
63
64
65
66
67
69
70
71
72
73
74

68

920 7 0
By Royhanh

CHAPTER 68

SOPHIA’S POV

The morning sunlight streamed through the window as we sat at the breakfast table—my father, Kayla, and me. The atmosphere, however, was far from sunny. I pushed the scrambled eggs around my plate, appetite absent, my mind occupied with thoughts of Henry.

"Dad," I finally mustered the courage to speak, "when can I go back to school?"

He looked up from his newspaper, his brows furrowing. "What's the rush, Sophia? You just got back."

I sighed, a heavy burden on my chest. "I need to get back to my life, Dad. I can't stay cooped up here forever."

He exchanged a glance with Kayla before addressing me. "Sophia, I'm making some calls to have you transferred back here permanently. It's for the best."

My fork clattered against the plate as I shot up from my chair, frustration bubbling within me. "Transfer me back? Dad, you can't do that!"

"Why not?" he replied, his tone stern.

"Because it's my life, Dad! I'm an adult. You can't control every aspect of it," I retorted, my voice rising with every word.

Kayla interjected, attempting to diffuse the tension. "Sophia, your father is just worried. He wants what's best for you."

I shot her a sharp look. "What's best for me is to make my own decisions, Kayla. I can't have my life dictated by everyone around me."

Dad folded his newspaper, his gaze intense. "This isn't about control, Sophia. It's about protecting you. I don't want you getting hurt."

I paced back and forth, my frustration reaching a boiling point. "Getting hurt? Dad, I'm not a child. I can handle my own life. And you transferring me back won't change anything. I'll find a way to be with Henry."

His eyes narrowed, and his voice dropped to a firm tone. "Sophia, I won't let you throw your future away for some man."

"Some man?" I snapped, unable to contain my anger. "He's not just some man, Dad. He's the person I love. Why can't you understand that?"

He stood up, his own frustration mirroring mine. "Love, Sophia, is not enough. You need to think about your future, your career."

I crossed my arms, my defiance unwavering. "I can have both, Dad. Love and a career. You don't get to decide that for me."

Kayla tried to mediate again. "Maybe, Sophia, you should give it some time. Your father is just trying to look out for you."

I glared at both of them, feeling the walls closing in. "No, Kayla. I won't give it time. I won't let anyone decide my life for me. I'm going back to school, and that's final."

The room fell silent, the tension thick enough to cut with a knife. My father's gaze bore into mine, a silent battle of wills. But I wasn't ready to back down.

My father's words hit me like a ton of bricks. The revelation about Henry and my mother felt like a betrayal on top of the already simmering conflict. We locked eyes, and his expression was a storm of anger and disappointment.

"Sophia," he began, his voice heavy with accusation, "you used to be such a good girl. But now, because of Henry, you're defying me at every turn."

I clenched my fists, preparing for the storm that was about to descend. "Dad, I'm not defying you. I'm just living my life."

His eyes narrowed, and he leaned forward, his tone harsh. "You want to talk about living your life? Let me tell you about Henry."

I felt a knot tighten in my stomach as he unfolded a story I had never heard before. A story that involved Henry and my mother, a secret kept hidden from my father, all while maintaining the facade of friendship.

"Henry dated your mother, Sophia," he spat out the words, his anger palpable. "He thought I'd never find out, but I did. I didn't confront him because of our friendship, but this time, it's different. This time, he's crossed a line, and I won't let him get away with it."

I struggled to process the information. Henry dating my mother—a revelation that felt like a betrayal. But I couldn't let my father see my vulnerability.

"So, what, Dad?" I retorted, my voice shaky but defiant. "You're going to rain down hell on him for dating Mom? That was years ago."

His gaze remained unwavering. "It's not just about that, Sophia. It's about trust, about him keeping secrets and thinking he can manipulate everyone around him. I won't stand for it."

I stood my ground, my resolve unwavering. "Dad, you're punishing me because of something that happened before I was even born. That's not fair."

He shook his head, his frustration evident. "Fair or not, Sophia, I won't let him ruin your life. I won't let him hurt you like he hurt your mother."

I took a step forward, my anger matching his. "You don't get to decide who I love, Dad. And you don't get to use the past as a weapon against me."

He slammed his hand on the table, the sound echoing in the room. "I won't let history repeat itself, Sophia. I won't let Henry destroy this family."

The weight of the revelations pressed down on me as I reached for the hidden phone Kayla had given me. Its cool touch offered a semblance of connection in the storm brewing around me. I dialed Kylie's number, hoping for a lifeline in this sea of chaos.

The phone rang, each tone echoing my heartbeat until Kylie's voice filled the line. "Sophia? Where have you been? I've been trying to reach you for days."

Tears welled up, and I struggled to steady my voice. "Kylie, it's been a nightmare. Everything's falling apart."

She must have sensed the urgency in my tone. "Soph, what happened? You're scaring me."

And so, with shaky breaths and tear-streaked cheeks, I spilled the tumultuous saga of my life over the past few days. From the unexpected appearance of Catherine, the blackmail, and now the revelation about Henry's past with my mother, it all poured out like a torrent of emotions.

Kylie's gasps and exclamations punctuated the narrative, but she let me speak, providing a lifeline of understanding. When I finally finished, there was a brief silence, as if the weight of my words lingered in the airwaves.

"Oh, Sophia," Kylie finally whispered, her voice a mix of sympathy and shock. "I had no idea you were going through all this. It sounds like a soap opera, but this is your life."

I laughed weakly, appreciating the touch of humor she injected. "Yeah, my life has turned into a melodrama. And guess what? I'm the lead actress."

"Seriously, though, what are you going to do?" Kylie asked, her concern palpable.

"I don't know, Kylie. My dad wants to control every aspect of my life. He's even trying to transfer me to a school here to keep me away from Henry."

Kylie's tone sharpened. "That's insane! Your dad can't just dictate your whole life."

"I know, right? But he dropped a bombshell about Henry dating my mom in the past. It's like everything's unraveling."

There was a pause on the other end, and then Kylie spoke with unwavering determination. "Sophia, you can't let your dad control your happiness. And this thing with Henry and your mom—yes, it's messed up, but it happened before you were even born. You can't change the past."

Her words struck a chord, and I nodded even though she couldn't see me. "I just feel so lost, Kylie. I love Henry, but it's like the universe is conspiring against us."

"You can't give up, Soph. If you love Henry, fight for him. Don't let anyone dictate your choices."

Her encouragement was a balm to my wounded soul. "Thanks, Kylie. I needed to hear that."

"Anytime, Soph. I'm here for you, no matter what. And we'll get through this mess together."

I stared at the phone in my hand, contemplating whether to make the call. The weight of the recent revelations still pressed on me, but a part of me craved the familiarity of Henry's voice. I took a deep breath and pressed the dial button.

After a few rings, he answered, his voice a mix of concern and relief. "Sophia, where have you been? I've been worried sick."

"Henry," I started, my voice catching, "we need to talk."

There was a pregnant pause on the other end, and then he responded, "Of course. Are you okay?"

The floodgates opened, and I poured out my heart. The blackmail, my father's revelation about his past with my mother, the transfer threat—each word felt like tearing a piece of my soul. Henry listened in silence, and when I finished, there was a heavy quiet between us.

"I had no idea you were going through all this," he finally said, his voice gentle. "Soph, I'm so sorry."

Tears welled up again as I choked out, "Henry, I love you, but everything is so messed up. I don't know what to do."

"Sophia," he whispered, his voice cracking, "I love you too, but maybe we need to step back for a while. The world seems to be against us, and I don't want to see you hurt because of me."

A lump formed in my throat, and I whispered, "Are you breaking up with me?"

"It's not a breakup, Soph. It's... a pause. We both need space to figure things out, to deal with the chaos around us. I can't bear to see you suffer because of our relationship."

I sniffled, wiping away tears. "But I don't want to lose you, Henry."

"You won't, Soph. I promise. We just need time. Time for the storm to settle."

A painful silence hung in the air before I managed to say, "Okay, Henry. If that's what you think is best."

"I'll still be here for you, Soph. We can't predict the future, but I want you to be happy."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 40.4K 80
♤♤ MATURE CONTENT warning ♤♤ • • • He's charming. He's handsome, hot as f*ck, talented, charismatic. People hang on to his every word. A bachelor, st...
8.3M 123K 64
"𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐥 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐠𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐞𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐈 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐥𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐦𝐲 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐧. 𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐈'𝐝 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐡𝐞�...
1.5M 32.5K 51
| COMPLETE | After graduating from high school, Delilah Kingston gets a job at her brother's best friend's company. She thinks that her life is absol...
430K 3.3K 29
"Open up, Eve." His voice was deep, yet velvety like silk. "Wider, I want to fuck you in every single hole till all you can remember is my name." He...