Nine-Tenths

JmFrey által

UPDATES WEDS & SAT - Twenty-four is one year too young for a quarter-life crisis, but hey, Colin's always be... Több

Map
Hadi's Seven-Step Rules for Colin's Happily Ever After
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three

Fourteen

27 3 0
JmFrey által

I'm totally on time, because I traded away that sunset alarm clock for a real, metal jangly one. Maybe a dick move, seeing as Gem bought the clock for me, but better a dick than fired.

Hadi and I meet early so we can look over the work Dav paid for. The kitchen walls are in and painted, with a taped-in gap where the new oven is going to go. Until then, Hadi's arranged to get pastries from a woman doing all-local, all-organic catering from her own kitchen. The roaster is still on backorder, though.

"Don't worry, he won't last that long," Hadi says, having been the recipient of a panicked phone call last night about how I had somehow developed some stupid-ass crush on a man who had stabbed me with his hand. "And Min-soo said she'd come in if you need help. Not that you will in dead-time."

That's the thing about St. Catharines—when Brock University and Niagara College let out for the summer, the place is like a lockdown-era ghost town. The only people who actually live here are retired artists, folks who work in customer service, or exhausted teenagers manning tourist attractions by Niagara Falls. Without the drunk students to block the view, you realize that downtown is sad and pathetic, filled with wretched pensioners who have nothing better to do than ride the bus and smoke outside of malls, and rundown dive bars that are barely passable in the daylight, splintered and scuzzy. The Business Association has been working hard to revitalize St. Paul Street, posh upscale bistros and fancy boardgame cafés clustering around the new performing arts and arena venues, but the rest of the street slowly rotting in stale beer and dilapidated glitter.

Hadi is on the forefront of the business owners trying to make the downtown appealing and useful year-round, but the tourists are slow to pick up on the idea that there's more to St. Catharines than a wine festival and a few sagging art galleries.

"Yeah, okay." I shove my right hand into my jean's pocket to keep my arm still and supported. I don't need the sling any more, but I try not to jostle it. I walk out to the front, past the counter, marveling at how everything sparkles. "Jeeze, this is impressive."

"Tudor's team does good work," Hadi agrees.

"Tudor?" I ask.

"Your dragon."

"He's not my dragon! Do you think they're related? I've never heard of other Tudors but the queen."

"Her Majesty is a cousin, on—" Dav says from the door, his rich accent rolling across the empty café.

I jump, wounds twinging. Oh shit, I think, and check my watch. 8am exactly. Of course the posh bastard is punctual. Did he hear Hadi call him 'my' dragon?

"On my mother's side," he finishes slowly, coming to a cautious stop, as if afraid he's scared us. Okay, to be fair, we are both standing behind the counter with wide bunny-in-the-headlights looks on our faces, but it's only because we had just been discussing him. Hadi hasn't reconnected the little electric bell over the front door yet and I'd never realized before, but Dav walks softly.

"Why are you staring? Am I late?" Dav asks, glancing down at his wristwatch—heavy gold, like the buttons on today's waistcoat.

"Um, uh, no?" I splutter.

Shit. He's not as handsome as you remember, cut it out.

Ah, who am I fooling?

Because he is.

My stomach flops at the sight of his hair back in its usual Errol Flynn swoop, and his slacks seem especially well-tailored today. The sleeves of his navy-blue floral button-down were already rolled up to his elbows, ready to work, and get it together you absolute trashfire.

Hadi invites Dav behind the counter, offering him a nickel-tour. She hands him the binder of nifty laminated infographics that show how to layer the drinks.

"There's no caffe tobio," Dav says, flipping the book back to the front to search again.

"Colin learned that one special for you," Hadi says, the nosy wench. I thought she was supposed to be on my side. Whatever happened to bloody Rule One?

Dav makes that uncomfortable clicky noise. "I didn't mean to put you out."

"Not a problem," Hadi assures him, and slaps his shoulder chummily. He flinches so slightly that I don't think Hadi notices. He stares at her hand, befuddled, then down at his arm where she'd touched him. "I'mma leave you to it. Don't let Colin bully you."

Dav draws himself up like an affronted pigeon. "He would never—"

"He would," Hadi assures him, sliding out from behind the counter. She eels out the door with a "Lock up after me!", the conniving bitch.

I lock up after her. Dav's still at the espresso machine, his lower lip rolled in and pinched between his teeth.

"This is, ah, a role reversal, wouldn't you say?" he asks softly, gesturing between us with one finger.

He is trying so hard.

And it is so cute.

Dammit.

Not ready to pack into the pokey kitchen just yet, I sit at his usual table. I perch one ankle on my knee, and mime opening a newspaper and peering over the top.

"Yes, I can see how that'd seem creepy," he berates himself.

"Why do it, then?" I ask, dropping my hands. "Don't you have somewhere better to be?"

Ha, I applaud myself, I remembered my mental note. Good job, self.

Instead of answering, Dav turns to put away the binder. The line of his back is tense, his shoulders practically up to his ears.

"Dav?"

He winces again, like my voice is a gunshot. From this angle, the freckles on his neck shine like golden ink on vellum.

"Hey." I slide behind the counter to touch his sleeve. He jerks as if I'd pinched him. I step back, palms out, nonthreatening. "Sorry."

"No, I—"

"I should have asked."

"It's me, I—" He makes that throaty click-spark noise and screws his eyes shut. A curl of smoke trickles out of the side of his mouth.

"Am I stressing you out?" I step further back. "Because I can—"

"No, please!" His hand shoots out, claw-free, to snatch my wrist. It's the arm with the still-healing punctures. I try not to make a face as it's pulled straight, but fail. He drops my wrist in horror. "Oh, Colin, I'm so sorry—"

"Okay, stop, shhh, stop!" I say, forcefully, but not unkindly.

Dav scrubs his hands over his face. Before he can push them through his hair I say, gently, "Don't."

He freezes and looks up at me.

"I like your hair. Don't muss it up."

He looks at me with an expression that twists so quickly, I can only parse the surprise and self-recrimination. There's just something so lost about him.

"Let's go roast some beans, eh?" I ask, and Dav nods miserably. "And from now on, I won't touch you if you can't see me coming, how about that?"

"And I'll mind your arm," he says softly.

"Thanks."

"How's it healing?"

"Just fine. Barely hurts any more." I shove my hand back into my pocket to support it all the same.

His mouth twists to one side. "You needn't lie to me, Colin."

"I'm not."

He looks at me like he can read the truth on my skin, but leads the way all the same.

If you're enjoying this story, please remember to vote and comment!

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

1.2M 28.5K 45
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...
18K 1.3K 9
Keenan goes by many names. The Death King is one of them. He had grown accustomed to living his life with one set plan: only talk to humans when you...
16.9K 407 30
Tony was outside doing some yard work when he came across an ant hill. And just as Tony's about to destroy the little hill he round up passing out. N...
3.3K 256 37
Check out all the art for the Nosferatu series! Drawn by the series' creators, fan art and commissioned art! It's all in here! 2021 - 2023 © Tate Cse...